PDA

View Full Version : Glock "Dot" Connector

ToddG
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Apparently, there is a new (fifth) connector in the Glock world, the "dot" connector. I haven't seen one yet but hopefully will have one in the next few weeks. I've been told it is designed to fall somewhere between the competition "minus" connector and the standard one.

So now there are, from lightest to heaviest:
super secret minus-minus connector; I've tried one on another shooter's gun but don't have one myself (insert crying noises here)
minus connector; the connector formerly known as the 3.5 and now technically the 4.5
new "dot" connector
standard
"plus" connector; also known as the connector absolutely no one uses
Once I get my "dot" I'll do some comparative trigger pull weight measurements. My guess -- and this is pure speculation on my part -- is that the "dot" may be in response to the increase in trigger pull weight brought about by the trigger bar used in the 4th gen guns.

JHC
06-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Interesting. Minus minus - too light for a carry gun IMO but cool for a game gun. (Even if some warriors fight with it)
Minus plus standard trigger spring is pretty close to the Gen 3 standard set up. So I guess the dot is to be a factory option for Gen 4s to get the poridge just right.

jlw
06-19-2011, 03:29 PM
One of the members here has one. Maybe he will chime in with some input.

Magsz
06-19-2011, 03:31 PM
How "new" are these.

Is there any info available as to whether or not they will be available via retail channels or if this is something that Glock is keeping under wraps? (why they would...i dunno)

NGCSUGrad09
06-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I may have to get my grubby little hands on one to play with.

A side note on all I've gleaned on the minus-minus, secret agent man, whatever you want to call them connectors.
The super secret squirrel connectors actually have two generations. Original ones are unmarked, so unless you knew what you had you'd never know what it was. The newer ones I've seen are marked minus dot. Either way, these make for the nicest Glock triggers I've played with. The take up is very clean with a nice break. Due to our lawyer happy society, we'll probably never seen them in public hands. Just know they're doing God's work for some good guys.

JHC
06-20-2011, 05:54 AM
I may have to get my grubby little hands on one to play with.

A side note on all I've gleaned on the minus-minus, secret agent man, whatever you want to call them connectors.
The super secret squirrel connectors actually have two generations. Original ones are unmarked, so unless you knew what you had you'd never know what it was. The newer ones I've seen are marked minus dot. Either way, these make for the nicest Glock triggers I've played with. The take up is very clean with a nice break. Due to our lawyer happy society, we'll probably never seen them in public hands. Just know they're doing God's work for some good guys.

I've handled aftermarket tricked out Glocks with lighter and more SA like triggers but the neat thing about minus minus is that it still communicates to the shooter via a take up that is very familiar vis a vis the minus or standard 5.5 connector. Just stacking to a lighter break.

GearScout
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
I have one. They are calling it the ATF connector. Breaking through the gen4 trigger "wall" is a lot smoother. Glock says the trigger pull is about 5.5 lbs, but it feels a little less. I can shoot some photos of it later.

Todd- Do you want to get together this week and use it?

I also posted in another thread that there's a new locking bar spring for the Gen4.

Super J
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for sharing as I had not heard about this.

irishshooter
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
where do we get one :)

ToddG
06-20-2011, 02:45 PM
GS -- I appreciate the offer but I'll be in Oklahoma City teaching this weekend. I'm supposed to have one coming so I'll just use this as an excuse to exercise my poorly underdeveloped patience muscle.

GearScout
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Here are the connectors: From left, Minus, Glock 19 Gen4 original, ATF Connector

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/glock-atf-connector/glock-gen4-atf-connector-1.jpg

Wayne Dobbs
06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Please specifically identify the "locking bar spring" you referred to. That is not Glock nomenclature. Do you mean the slide lock spring (AKA the "take down lever spring") or is it another part?

beltjones
06-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Where are you guys finding these? I'd like to try one...

GearScout
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
They aren't available in the retail chain. I'm working to get some more details on the part this week.

dickmadison
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I wonder if this is similar to the ghost 4.5 connector????

http://www.ghostinc.com/c=5RTPPT99Q71JP94Y3pFsValEi/category/45lbranger/

GearScout
06-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Just got the skinny from Glock. It's posted over on GearScout (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/24/glock-introduces-the-connector-5-for-gen4-pistols/), but the Cliff Notes:

The new part is called the Connector 5 and was designed to lighten the trigger pull on Gen4 pistols purchased by the ATF
It's stock on all new Gen4s that shipped as of roughly mid-May 2011
It's only available via Glock rep, certified Glock armorer, GSSF walk up, or warranty repairs at the moment

VolGrad
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
I guess I need to check my parts box. I just pulled the connector out of the gen4 21. Didn't even look at it when I put the minus connecter.

GearScout
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I haven't gotten to the range with the new connector, yet. But, dry fire feels great. Side by side with my gen3, the triggers feel almost identical. The 2nd stage wall is much lighter and reset is unchanged from stock.

I had been running the minus connector but it always felt a little mushy. This really dials the trigger in and I haven't even messed with polishing.

JHC
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
I haven't gotten to the range with the new connector, yet. But, dry fire feels great. Side by side with my gen3, the triggers feel almost identical. The 2nd stage wall is much lighter and reset is unchanged from stock.

I had been running the minus connector but it always felt a little mushy. This really dials the trigger in and I haven't even messed with polishing.

I'll try to get one or more of our Gen 4's changed out at the nearby GSSF next month. Sounds worth a look see.

TAZ
06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Just checked my gen4 G21 that I picked up at the beginning of the month and sure enough it has a dot on the connector. I can only imagine how the triggers on the first batch of gen 4's must have felt with a standard connector. My new 21's pull was off the charts out of the box, even with this connector. Guess that explains why the display unit I handled before picking up mine had a trigger made for a gorilla, must have had a standard connector in there. Good news to me was that after swapping out the striker spring the pull weight dropped to 5.5# and feels really good. Of the various connector and spring combos I've tried the everything stock but the striker spring feels the best. Just need to verify reliability with th reduced power striker spring and I'll be good to go.

VolGrad
06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I finally got around to digging through my parts box. In with all the take off std connectors I found the "dot" one that came out of my Gen4 G21. I put it in with my extra "minus" connectors. I will swap some around at some point to feel the differences.

Thanks for the heads up. GLOCK really snuck that one in.

ToddG
07-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Installed one on my test gun last night and bounced back and forth between the standard coil trigger return spring and the NY1. Didn't have my weight set at the range but the NY1 combo was quite heavy... I'd guess at least 8#. With the coil spring it was closer to 5# I'd guess. I'll weigh it tonight for my weekly endurance update.

The break is far, far more to my liking than either the standard or minus connectors. It has a good roll with no hitches... totally smooth. The reset feels like it may be a bit longer. The first thing I did was shoot a FAST and short stroked the first two resets after the reload.

ToddG
07-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Followup: The dot-con reduced my trigger pull by nine ounces compared to the standard connector.

Prdator
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Is it giving you the "Rolling Break" that you like?

ToddG
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Is it giving you the "Rolling Break" that you like?

Yes. The difference is very noticeable.

Prdator
07-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes. The difference is very noticeable.

Guess I'll have to try one then. Got a source on them?

ToddG
07-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Guess I'll have to try one then. Got a source on them?

Not officially. :cool:

My understanding is that they're standard on gen4 Glocks as of a couple weeks ago. You can probably just order one straight from Glock, Inc.

Prdator
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Not officially. :cool:

My understanding is that they're standard on gen4 Glocks as of a couple weeks ago. You can probably just order one straight from Glock, Inc.

H'mm well My old gen 4 just hit Glock today so maybe Ill end up with one when they replace it??

beetlejus
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
I just checked and the Gen4-19 that I just purchased in May also came with the Dot Connector. The test fire date was 5-11-11, serial RTF-xxx. Funny thing is I immediately replaced it with a minus connector so I didn't even know I had it, much less tried it. I'll have to give it a try now with all the buzz here, but maybe after a 25-cent polish job first. I'll follow up here with impressions once I give it a try.

bmg
07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I just checked and the Gen4-19 that I just purchased in May also came with the Dot Connector. The test fire date was 5-11-11, serial RTF-xxx. Funny thing is I immediately replaced it with a minus connector so I didn't even know I had it, much less tried it. I'll have to give it a try now with all the buzz here, but maybe after a 25-cent polish job first. I'll follow up here with impressions once I give it a try.

I'll pay a fairly generous price for your dot connector if you're willing to sell it.

beetlejus
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I'll pay a fairly generous price for your dot connector if you're willing to sell it.

Thanks for the interest BMG but I'll probably just hang on to it for now to give it a try, if anything just out of curiosity. FWIW, my current combination is the (-) connector, a gen3 trigger assy (no dimple, smooth trigger face) and a 25-cent polish job, which has been a good setup--smooth and reliable.

Since Glock is already using the dot connector in their production guns I have a feeling they'll be available soon as replacement parts.

bmg
07-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the interest BMG but I'll probably just hang on to it for now to give it a try, if anything just out of curiosity. FWIW, my current combination is the (-) connector, a gen3 trigger assy (no dimple, smooth trigger face) and a 25-cent polish job, which has been a good setup--smooth and reliable.

Since Glock is already using the dot connector in their production guns I have a feeling they'll be available soon as replacement parts.

Understandable. If anyone has access to these, I'd pay like $40 for one.

VolGrad
07-03-2011, 04:12 PM

WOW. Maybe I should have charged JHC more for mine. I felt bad even taking money for it.

bmg
07-03-2011, 04:30 PM
WOW. Maybe I should have charged JHC more for mine. I felt bad even taking money for it.

My gen4 G19 was test fired last March, so I missed getting the newer connector by a couple of months. Even with the gen4 trigger bar replaced with a gen3, the trigger pull is heavier than any of my other glocks by a noticable amount.

JHC
07-03-2011, 05:16 PM

LOL! Don't! I'm the one that named the price. ;) Heck I paid that much for an OEM minus from a big name web based outfit a couple years ago.

I put it in the RTF2 G19 because my Gen 4 triggers with a minus (5 lbs +) are too nice to tamper with. I'm not sure I have found the advantage yet beyond it just being lighter. In this Gen 3 I don't know that I could distinguish it from a minus. But with only 250 rounds on it; too early to say.

JHC
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Hold on for a spell. It's not so incredibly different to command that price.

Dropkick
07-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I got to shoot a few round with a Dot the other day. I liked it, I found it was a lot smoother pull than the standard Gen3 trigger.

Trying it out makes a convincing case to buy one.

irishshooter
07-05-2011, 09:26 AM
would it be reasonable to say that the dot connector is similar to the Ghost 4.5 connector based on the info available???

irishshooter
07-09-2011, 06:48 AM
just took receipt of Ghost Ranger 4.5 & their 3.5 connectors. my Gen 4 19 was measuring 6.5 - 6.75# with the standard, no marking, factory connector . i dropped in the 4.5 connnector and my trigger pull dropped to an average of 5# . smooth trigger pull, nice crisp break and reset nearly as good as stock. very pleased with the results on dry fire and on scale. dropped in the Ghost 3.5 connector, trigger pull down to about 5-5.25# ??? felt mushy without that nice clean break and the reset was almost as bad as my M&P. hitting the range this AM. i figure after a few thousand rounds the weight could drop a little more after things smooth out a bit. my M&Pc is at about 4.5# consistently and feels just right for me. we'll see

JSGlock34
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Saw this thread on AR15 - is this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/116242_Military_Dot_Connector.html) the elusive military only '-' connector?

LittleLebowski
10-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Got two shipped from glockparts.com. $16 with shipping.

ToddG
10-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Saw this thread on AR15 - is this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/116242_Military_Dot_Connector.html) the elusive military only '-' connector?

Yes. It resulted in enough reliability problems that the group for whom it was originally created no longer uses it.

bmg
10-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Got two shipped from glockparts.com. $16 with shipping.

My two from glockparts arrived yesterday. I've gotten used to the heavier trigger pull, so these almost feel too light, but I'm sure they'll be fine.

Shellback
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
How many people are running these in Gen 3 Glocks and what are your thoughts? I've read that some people are getting very positive results using the "-" connector in Gen 3's and am curious to know other people's results on PF.

I just recently received the "minus"/3.5 and NY1 combo and will be experimenting with that this weekend. I may end up ordering the new "dot" connector as well to try some experimentation with that as well.

JHC
11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I put dot connectors in my RTF2 G19 and Gen 3 G26 and like them alot. I do "tend" to perceive the rolling break as Todd described the dot conn effect initially. I say "tend" because I have rather poor senses about creep, over travel etc. So with that disclaimer, I estimate the net effect is a relatively smooth trigger pull without a heavy "stacking" that feels heavier than a minus connector and less than the 5.5 standard. FWIW.

JonInWA
11-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I have a Gen 3 G19 and a Gen 3 G21 that I'm runninng "dot" connectors with. In the G21, there's a minor difference (slightly lighter triggerpull), but there appears/feels to be a much more significant (and beneficial) difference in the G19, where I estimate about a 1 lb decrease in triggerpull with the "dot" connector. In that gun, I'm running it with a coil trigger spring and a Gen 3.5 triggerbar; I suspect based on results with my new Gen 3 G19 that I could lighten the triggerpull further by switching the Gen 3.5 triggerbar out for an older Gen 3 triggerbar, but 1) I'm quite satisfied with the way things currently stand/feel, and 2) Since I'm running the coil trigger spring, I feel that the Gen 3.5 triggerbar's bent and channeled dogleg attachment point for the spring provides a tad bit more security/longevity for the spring.

The "dot" connector, at least in my Gen 3 G19 seems to provide a sweet spot of a bridge in triggerpull weight and pull characteristics between the 4.5 lb "minus" connector and the 5.5 lb "standard" connector. While I haven't formally measured it on a scale, I'd estimate it as being between 4.5 and 5 lbs-probably closer to 4.5 lbs. The ones I have have a crisp, discernable reset point and a rolling, smooth and crisp break (and yes, I'm aware that the characteristics described are derived in interrelationship with the triggerbar, etc...but just sayin')

Best, Jon

Shellback
11-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you both for your insight. Sounds like it's a great addition to the pistol and I'll be ordering one as soon as I'm back from Canada.

GJM
11-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Last night, I replaced the dot connector with the Lone Wolf minus connector in two Gen 4 17's and a Gen 4 22. The trigger pull is lighter with the LW minus than the dot and feels like it has more roll.

JonInWA
11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm running a Glock "minus" 4.5 connector in 2 of my Glocks, both in conjunction with a NY1 spring-my Gen 3 G34, and my new Gen 3 G19, which I've discussed in detail (probably bordering on excruciating) in an earlier threat here on the forum. Interestingly, slight variations (presumably due to slight variations in the guns/components) results in slightly different feels/triggerpull characteristics between the two. The G34 feels lighter and "looser" (but hardly sloppy) (and yes, the connector was installed in a new trigger housing mechanism component, so we're not talking about "connector wallow"). The G19's triggerpull feels a bit heavier, but seems marginally smoother. Both guns are utilizing Generation 3 triggerbars, not the later Gen 3.5 units (with the longer, bent, and channeled "dogleg" attachment) with the current Glock OEM battleship gray coil spring.

One of the great characteristics of Glocks, in the immortal words (or paraphrasing) of ToddG is that a retarded monkee with a modicum of training (say, at least 10 minutes' worth in most cases) can easily detail disassemble and swap parts in Glocks to accomplish significant characteristic tuning.

Best, Jon

JHC
11-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Jon, what does "connector wallow" mean or describe?

Thanks

Shellback
11-15-2011, 08:09 PM
When trying out different combinations of connectors and springs is it important to test them during live fire or is dry fire sufficient to feel the differences?

Prdator
11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
When trying out different combinations of connectors and springs is it important to test them during live fire or is dry fire sufficient to feel the differences?

For me it HAS to be Live fire!!!!!!

JHC
11-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Best to actually see the hits and times to know for sure. Sometimes feels can fool ya.

Shellback
11-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I was thinking but I won't be able to go shooting for another week due to family obligations.

JonInWA
11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Jon, what does "connector wallow" mean or describe?

Thanks

The connector is essentially a leaf spring with a ramp and a capture bend in the sheet metal for the triggerbar interface that is inserted into a tightly-fitted slot in the trigger housing mechanism component; repeated removals and re-insertions (especially if forcefully or inappropriately done) can cause the insertion slot to widen, creating slop and operational issues. Keep in mind too that tension is deliberately induced by the pressure the triggerbar exerts against the connector, creating the connector's "spring" effect. Since Glock components are so inexpensive (especially regarding these parts), if I envision myself switching out connectors in a given gun, I simply dedicate a specific connector and a specific trigger housing mechanism to each other; that way, I simply swap out trigger housing mechanisms with pre-installed connectors.

Best, Jon

JHC
11-16-2011, 07:27 PM
The connector is essentially a leaf spring with a ramp and a capture bend in the sheet metal for the triggerbar interface that is inserted into a tightly-fitted slot in the trigger housing mechanism component; repeated removals and re-insertions (especially if forcefully or inappropriately done) can cause the insertion slot to widen, creating slop and operational issues. Keep in mind too that tension is deliberately induced by the pressure the triggerbar exerts against the connector, creating the connector's "spring" effect. Since Glock components are so inexpensive (especially regarding these parts), if I envision myself switching out connectors in a given gun, I simply dedicate a specific connector and a specific trigger housing mechanism to each other; that way, I simply swap out trigger housing mechanisms with pre-installed connectors.

Best, Jon

Aaaah nice. Thanks so much.

Long tom coffin
11-16-2011, 11:43 PM

Yes, snap caps and dry fire don't suffice. If I have a new trigger combo my general rule of thumb is 300 rounds before I start making decisions on it.