PDA

View Full Version : My first IDPA match

HopetonBrown
03-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Shot my first official competition the other week and I thought I'd share my thoughts and experience.

Background: I've owned a gun for about 10 years, but didn't take my first shooting class until October of '12. I've taken a bunch since then.

I kinda knew the rules going into the match. I had met the club president in a Vickers class so he got me to skip their 1 day safety class that the club normally requires for shooting action pistol (hallelujah).

I finished 34th out of 44 shooters, and 5th out of 8 in CDP. Why did I suck so bad?

I probably took too long trying to get 0s. I don't know why they are so loose with the down points for crappy shooting. I think it should be 1 second per point down.

I got 2 procedurals for shooting out of "tactical priority". I go around a corner and see 3 targets, I shoot the one closest to me. No, I'm supposed to "pie the corner" (under time?) and shoot the target I see first. Okay.

I didn't do a flat footed reload once, but since it was my first match they let it slide. I don't really get that one. An SSP Master explained to me that it wouldn't make sense to advance with an empty gun. Okay.

So it was a lot of fun regardless. I've heard that it greatly depends on the club, and the guys running this one weren't too anal which probably greatly contributed to the experience being positive. Will go again. I brought two buddies and they had the same thoughts on the goofy rules. I signed up to a local club and I'm attending their USPSA orientation next month; we'll see which one I like better. I can see myself just shooting both.

JeffJ
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Good for you trying it out. As far as the rules go - you can't pick up your ball and throw it out of the sand trap either, although it is clearly the superior method.

Alpha Sierra
03-18-2014, 06:02 PM
The flat footed reload rule is about the most stupid thing I have ever heard.....but whatever.

JV_
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
If I don't renew my membership, will I have to do the classifier again if I choose to renew it in the future?

Wendell
03-18-2014, 10:08 PM
If I don't renew my membership, will I have to do the classifier again if I choose to renew it in the future?

Maybe.

9.2. Classification Frequency

9.2.1. Every IDPA member must shoot the Classifier at least once every twelve months, except Master and Distinguished Master class shooters. However, a Match Performance Promotion in a Division counts as shooting the IDPA Classifier in that Division.
9.2.2. Should a Match Director feel that a shooter should be shooting in a higher Classification level, the MD may require that the shooter shoot the Classifier again to reestablish a current Classification.
9.2.3. Every shooter in a Sanctioned Match must be classified per 9.2.1. within the previous twelve months (365 days/366 days on Leap years,) in the Division in which they are entered. The Match Director or designee must confirm that the IDPA membership card and Classification in the database are current on match day for every entry in a Sanctioned Match.
9.2.4. For local matches it is sufficient to shoot a Classifier in the Division most often entered. A shooter may compete in club matches in a Division where a Classification is not current within twelve months or the shooter is Unclassified, where the highest Classification presently held in any division will be used.
9.2.5. Shooters may not go down in Classification except for permanent physical disability or for other irrevocable reasons. IDPA HQ will determine when this is appropriate and make the necessary adjustments to the Classification Database.

<http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf>

fixer
03-19-2014, 06:20 AM
I finished 34th out of 44 shooters, and 5th out of 8 in CDP. Why did I suck so bad?

Because it was your first time.

cclaxton
03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
If you are already Master or Distinguished Master, then it is not required regardless of your membership status. But membership and the classifier are not linked. If your last classifier was Jan 2014 and your membership expires in March 2014, and if you let it expire, when you renew your membership later, before Jan 2015 your classification would still stand. Local clubs vary on their policy on whether they would let you shoot without a membership. Some don't check. AAFG will require a current IDPA membership (except for a new shooter), but will let you shoot beyond your classifier expiration for some time. Also, if a club lets you shoot AIWB not for score, then I would assume no IDPA membership or classifier is required (as long as you pay the event fee).
Cody

gtmtnbiker98
03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
If I don't renew my membership, will I have to do the classifier again if I choose to renew it in the future?As long as it's within the calendar year of your last classification, your previous classification is good. If exceeds a year, they may assign a new IDPA number and once that occurs, you are zeroed out. I guess it all depends upon the length of the lapse.

JV_
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
FWIW: I'm an M in SSP.

If exceeds a year, they may assign a new IDPA number and once that occurs, you are zeroed out. I guess it all depends upon the length of the lapse.

Interesting point. Thanks.

JV_
03-19-2014, 08:52 AM
If you are already Master or Distinguished Master, then it is not required regardless of your membership status.What about the new number issue that was mentioned?

1986s4
03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
I shoot both USPSA and IDPA. I like them both even with their faults [as I see them]. I have yet to meet someone who thinks the flat foot reload is an improvement. Yet both are games with rules.

NEPAKevin
03-19-2014, 10:16 AM
What about the new number issue that was mentioned?

The only way a shooter can move down in classification is for permanent physical disability and this has to be approved by B-ville. Otherwise, one so inclined could sandbag just by letting membership lapse.

cclaxton
03-19-2014, 12:11 PM
What about the new number issue that was mentioned?
Your lapse would have to be for years, if ever. I have never heard of anyone losing their number. There have been people who changed numbers because of technical reasons.
I wouldn't worry about that. Safariland is running a special if you renew your membership you get a 50% OFF discount at Holsters.com, maximum discount is $500 ($1000 in products for $500).

If you are unhappy with some things about IDPA, I recommend a letter to headquarters that is respectful and persuasive. If enough of us write letters and make persuasive arguments, it has been my experience that they will change. If people don't renew they may not attribute it to specific reasons of dissatisfaction.
Cody

Mr_White
03-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Cody, I am just looking for clarification on these quoted sections:

Also, if a club lets you shoot AIWB not for score, then I would assume no IDPA membership or classifier is required (as long as you pay the event fee).
Cody

It looks to me like a club isn't allowed to have competitors shooting Not For Score with an AIWB holster. Am I misreading rule 8.2.7 and 8.2.7.3, or is there something else I am missing?

If you are unhappy with some things about IDPA, I recommend a letter to headquarters that is respectful and persuasive. If enough of us write letters and make persuasive arguments, it has been my experience that they will change. If people don't renew they may not attribute it to specific reasons of dissatisfaction.
Cody

Can you name any examples of this? Round-dumping was the only thing I could think of, but I am hardly the most knowledgeable person about IDPA. Any other issues you can cite that were resolved by writing letters to IDPA HQ?

Thank you!

jetfire
03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
AIWB is still prohibited by the IDPA rules. The not-for-score category is for stuff like guns with RMRs on them, etc. Do I think that IDPA will eventually allow AIWB? Probably, but not this year.

Mr_White
03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Thank you Caleb!

jetfire
03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
That's not to say that a local club wouldn't let you shoot a match from AIWB, mind you. Some MDs turn a blind eye to stuff like that at the club level.

Mr_White
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
"It's just a club match"? ;)

jetfire
03-19-2014, 03:31 PM
"It's just a club match"? ;)

Bingo.

Adam
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Because it was your first time.

This. My first match I was nervous as hell. I did and still do focus a lot on accuracy. I shot most of the stages -0 to -3 and was slower than Christmas. I consistently finished in the top 1/4 of participants in local matches. I think that has a lot to do the competition more than my skill level. Lots of new shooters out there.

joshs
03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Your lapse would have to be for years, if ever. I have never heard of anyone losing their number. There have been people who changed numbers because of technical reasons.
I wouldn't worry about that. Safariland is running a special if you renew your membership you get a 50% OFF discount at Holsters.com, maximum discount is $500 ($1000 in products for $500).

Cody

I lapsed from 2007 to last year when they first published the proposed new rules. I wanted to rejoin to be able to comment on the proposed rules. When I signed up, I couldn't remember by old number, so I just signed up as a new member. My application went through with the new number, but I received an email a few days later indicating that they found my old number and treated my application as a renewal.