PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9 or 92FS

USAF422
03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Im looking at purchasing one of these pistols. Which would you all prefer? Is there really anything that gives on a edge over the other or just a personal preference?

Some background. In 6-8 months or so Im going to be starting my active duty career in the USAF as Security Forces Officer so the M9 will be my duty gun thats on my hip everyday.

GardoneVT
03-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Im looking at purchasing one of these pistols. Which would you all prefer? Is there really anything that gives on a edge over the other or just a personal preference?

Some background. In 6-8 months or so Im going to be starting my active duty career in the USAF as Security Forces Officer so the M9 will be my duty gun thats on my hip everyday.

I'd go with the M9 , given that's the gun you'll be using in the USAF. Functionally the M9 and 92FS are the same, but the new build 92FS has a radiused rear backstrap which alters the grip ever so slightly from the 1980s-spec M9 Commercial. That undercut makes a difference , enough that I'd advise picking the M9 .

Good luck in Lackland, and please don't turn into one of "those" Security Forces cops.

USAF422
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd go with the M9 , given that's the gun you'll be using in the USAF. Functionally the M9 and 92FS are the same, but the new build 92FS has a radiused rear backstrap which alters the grip ever so slightly from the 1980s-spec M9 Commercial. That undercut makes a difference , enough that I'd advise picking the M9 .

Good luck in Lackland, and please don't turn into one of "those" Security Forces cops.

I played with a 92FS today and could tell a slight difference between some of the M9s I have shot before.
Thanks, curious to know what you mean by one of "those" Security Forces cops.

GardoneVT
03-17-2014, 09:03 PM
I played with a 92FS today and could tell a slight difference between some of the M9s I have shot before.
Thanks, curious to know what you mean by one of "those" Security Forces cops.

You'll see once you get to your first operational post.

USAF422
03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah; luckily since I began AFROTC I was never disillusioned about what Security Forces does especially being an Officer in the career field.

FotoTomas
03-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Another recomendation for the M9. The commercial M9 also has the straight MilSpec dust cover and does not have the onerus liability banner on the frame.

Rich
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I would want a rail ! But that's because I like options.

BTW Do the officers have to use ball ammo

Timbonez
03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
I would want a rail ! But that's because I like options.

BTW Do the officers have to use ball ammo

I'm a captain and I use ball. I'm not a sky cop though.

USAF422
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Im not looking at the 92A1 or M9A1 do to lack of holster options. I ordered this nice quick disconnect EZ-Rail and so far that thing has been solid through about 400 rounds on my 21 year old police special 92FS. Its nice and easy to throw on for night or home defense duty and take off in a ccw role. Also works with the X-Fer if I wanna carry it ccw. For CONUS law enforcement activities hollow points are used. They are designated MK 243 Mod 0 basically 147 grain Hydrashoks.

Timbonez
03-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Raven Concealment offers holsters for the M9A1 as well as the 92A1. You can get them with a light mounted or not mounted. Raven Concealment makes a great holster. Your choices in holster manufacturer may be limited for the railed 92s, but those companies that do offer a holster for them are typically at the top of their game.

http://raven-concealment-systems.mybigcommerce.com/beretta-custom-phantom-modular-holster/
http://raven-concealment-systems.mybigcommerce.com/beretta-custom-phantom-light-compatible-holster/