PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Training at Range

USAF422
03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Hello all. First post, I have been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to participate . I have been wondering how to maximize my training on a budget and on a square range. Every Monday I head to the NRA range to shoot 150-200 rounds. I do not have a shot timer; probably would not matter at an indoor range (or would it?)and I am using the range system to time myself (you can set the target to turn toward you from its side at a specific time then turn away at a specific time) I know base lines for the drills Im shooting but not specific splits. Like I know I can shoot a FAST under 7 seconds but I do not know the specific time, same thing with Bill Drills under 3 seconds but no specifics.

Is not knowing this information hindering me? Sometimes I feel like Im not improving (at least speed wise) because I am lacking specific recorded results. Is the anything I can do that might help? Any equipment, drills, tips and tricks that I am missing. I don't have the ability to shoot anywhere else nor that much money to throw around so any advice would really help.

John Hearne
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Any significant performance can only be done with meaningful feedback. The target will give you feedback on your accuracy but the timer is also important. I can't imagine training without one.

Corey
03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
You need a timer, then start tracking your performance. Figure out where you need/want to improve and concentrate on those skills.

jetfire
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Hello all. First post, I have been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to participate . I have been wondering how to maximize my training on a budget and on a square range. Every Monday I head to the NRA range to shoot 150-200 rounds. I do not have a shot timer; probably would not matter at an indoor range (or would it?)and I am using the range system to time myself (you can set the target to turn toward you from its side at a specific time then turn away at a specific time) I know base lines for the drills Im shooting but not specific splits. Like I know I can shoot a FAST under 7 seconds but I do not know the specific time, same thing with Bill Drills under 3 seconds but no specifics.

Is not knowing this information hindering me? Sometimes I feel like Im not improving (at least speed wise) because I am lacking specific recorded results. Is the anything I can do that might help? Any equipment, drills, tips and tricks that I am missing. I don't have the ability to shoot anywhere else nor that much money to throw around so any advice would really help.

How finely can you adjust the turners at NRA? Quarter seconds, half seconds?

USAF422
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
You can dial them down by tenths. 2.1, 2.2 etc.

Corey
03-16-2014, 07:38 PM
That goes a long way to making up for not having a timer.

ST911
03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
There are turning target systems on ranges I use. Some have very good ones that I like for measurement of performance against gross par standards. A timer is essential range equipment otherwise, though. Sometimes, performance gains, or the difference between consistent performance and the wheels falling off, is a half second or less.

Working with a timer and the data it produces will also help you structure range sessions better and get more for your money.

littlejerry
03-17-2014, 06:04 AM

What are your goals? Is there a specific time you want on a drill? What skills do you feel hindered on?

Have you tried shooting an IDPA or USPSA match? Competitive shooting is a great way to set expectations and track progress.

ToddG
03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
At the NRA Range, I only use a shot timer when I want to know specifics about things like splits, reloads, etc. Back when SLG and I were training there almost every day, we used the turning target system (which only had 1s resolution back then, as opposed to the 0.1s resolution now ... ask me who begged the target system developer to do that over and over again until they finally caved :cool: ) almost exclusively. We did a lot of AMRAP and similar time-limit drills and it worked out well in terms of skill development.

I honestly think if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather the turning target system than a shot timer. We even used to do the FAST as a pass/fail, setting a PAR that worked out to about 5.75 seconds of actual time from target's first movement to last. It wasn't perfect but we knew we were under 6s.

JeffJ
03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I think it really depends on what your goals are - meeting times on well known drills is just a start, do you know what skill you are developing with the drill? Do you know what skills you feel deficient at? Do you know how to tailor your dryfire to work on the same skills you are working on in live fire? Do you dryfire?

FWIW, I haven't used a turning target system but it sounds like a good way to go, especially on an indoor range. I think the timer would be pretty necessary for dry fire (although not everyone dry fires with a timer) but the iphone/android apps do OK for that, as long as you can set par times to the .10 second it should be fine.

ToddG
03-17-2014, 09:21 AM
One nice thing about the turners is that it provides a definite start/stop. You can't go over PAR... the target disappears. It pushes you.

I know I talk about consistency all the time, but I think using the turner really helps develop that priority compared to a shot timer. The shot timer has an allure to see a lower number each time and to obsess over the number, whereas the turning target gives you a pass/fail report and nothing else. And by taking tenths off your exposure, you push yourself at a consistent pace instead of just racing racing racing.