PDA

View Full Version : Next Level Training SIRT Training Pistol

Cowtown44
02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I should be receiving mine at the end of next week. I'm interested in the training drills people develop for the SIRT. Next Level has some introductory vids but, surely, more drills will be developed as more are sold.

sff70
02-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Mostly use my SIRT to do standard drills (IDPA classifier, 10-8 test, many of the drills that TLG has published such as Dot Torture, the FAST test, etc.) with an emphasis on accuracy, often using reduced size targets, partial targets, no-shoots, 1 handed shooting on small targets, etc. Often use PAR times for these drills.

Much like a .22, you have to compensate somehow for the lack of recoil, by forcing a greater empahsis on accuracy.

Other resources include drills from Steve Anderson's books "Refinment and Repetition", and "Principles of Performance", and Sam Conway's book "The Shooter's Approach to Practice".

Have found that training scars to be avoided include firing unrealistic numbers of rounds w/o a reload. I do a lot of tactical reloads, and also simulated slide lock reloads (with a very positive press on the slide release).

A buddy of mine has been using my SIRT and incorporating it into his workouts, much like the videos of the Tac-30 training sessions posted on the NLT website.

As time goes on, I plan on incorporating the SIRT into my live fire sesssions: perform several iterations of a drill with the SIRT, then with a pistol.

David B.
02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I emailed SIRT after I read Todd's review to enquire about the M&P version. They said it would be 6 months before the M&P is ready and that I wouldn't be disappointed.

I'm definitely going to wait for the M&P since I've been shooting an M&P exclusively for a few years now.

I think it's going to be a great tool for practice. I have to admit that I don't dry fire at all. I'm just not motivated to do it. I think the SIRT will help increase the desire and be fun at the same time.

Plus it's going to be a great teaching tool for me to use with my son who will be 5 years old this July. He watches me shoot, but he's too young/small himself to shoot. I think the SIRT will be fun for him and I to use as he becomes familiar with the pistol platform.

God Bless,
David

atingle
02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Would it be possible to get enough of us together, so we could do a group purchase of the SIRT Training Pistol? Even better, some of the proceeds could go to support the forum.

Regards,
Alan

ToddG
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
If you use coupon code "pistol-trainer" you can buy one at their online store for $399, which is $40 off.

atingle
02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
If you use coupon code "pistol-trainer" you can buy one at their online store for $399, which is $40 off.

Thank you for that :-)

Regards,
Alan

TAP
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Did the NLT guys give an ETA on the M&P version at SHOT? I'm interested but I'm waiting on this platform over the glock.

Does the glock version only fit G17 holsters? I read a few posts on different sites that they were having trouble with it fitting their holsters. I'd prefer one that works for the G19 gear I have.

ljgrohn
03-01-2011, 01:57 AM
I am assuming that it will be about six months based on what David said.

I emailed SIRT after I read Todd's review to enquire about the M&P version. They said it would be 6 months before the M&P is ready and that I wouldn't be disappointed.

VolGrad
03-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I'd prefer one that works for the G19 gear I have.
I think I read on their site somewhere the G19 is "on the list" for future models. This is what I would probably prefer as well.

TAP
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I am assuming that it will be about six months based on what David said.

Oops. I guess reading is fundamental. Thanks.

I hope it is a short 6 months.

atingle
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I ordered my SIRT Glock today. Now all I have to do is find a Glock 17 and all the goodies to go with it.

Todd, thank you for making us aware of this training tool.

FYI. I made some inquires about the SIRT P226. It is under development and won't be available for about a year. It will simulate a DA trigger pull. No DAK trigger option was mentioned.

Regards,
Alan

Occam's Razor
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
We've had a couple of the SIRTs for about a month now. An absolutely great training tool when used properly. The ability to work on stance, grip, sight, and trigger control with active feedback is great. I've adjusted the lasers so that each is not visible (just barely below sight line) when proper sight alignment is achieved. That way I see it, but if the student has proper sight picture they won't see it (as much, always be some splash back). For advanced students, presentation from the holster, trigger reset, movement, excellent tool.

Seems to have a very positive effect on new shooters, who, once they get to the firing line aren't as concerned about manipulating the pistol.

Tim

atingle
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I ordered my SIRT Glock today. Now all I have to do is find a Glock 17 and all the goodies to go with it.

Todd, thank you for making us aware of this training tool.

FYI. I made some inquires about the SIRT P226. It is under development and won't be available for about a year. It will simulate a DA trigger pull. No DAK trigger option was mentioned.

Regards,
Alan

I just received an email from from Next Level Training Customer Service. The current production lead time on the SIRT Training Pistol is three weeks. They must be selling well. I am looking forward to receiving mine.

Regards,
Alan

Saur
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
You can buy pink 3x5 cards and cut'em up into targets. If the green laser hits them, it appears yellow. Pretty neat.

VolGrad
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I was able to handle the SIRT in the AFHF class this past weekend. I want one now. I would prefer to wait for the Gen4 G19 model but it will likely be a long wait. Deciding now if I want to hang out until them or just get the G17 now and replace it down the road when the G19 comes out. :confused:

Cowtown44
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Got my SIRT today. I think it will be OK.

First of all, I'm not a pistol expert. I've attended a few classes and have probably put 10-15K rounds through my G17 and G22 combined. Both of them have a stock trigger.

Weight without the mag was within an ounce of my G17. I would prefer the trigger of the SIRT to be identical to the actual pistol. If I were grading the triggers vs the stock triggers, I'd give it a B- out of the box. I'm interested in what they modeled it off of for the factory settings.

I'm interested in what others think and what changes they've made to the SIRT.

vaspence
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
USPS dropped off one to me on Wednesday. I printed off a dot torture target and immediately shot a 50.;)

Seriously, I did put up the dot torture target and as I'm stuck at the house a lot until April (new kid) am going to see if this helps with my scores. I've been slack on the dry fire since December but this is making it interesting. It will also be fun to do one shot drills, etc. with a timer. No more assuming you hit the index card.

Observations to date:
The magazine is a bit looser (more front to rear play) in the mag well than a real Glock but not enough to matter. Real G17 mags fit fine. My CRTC blue training magazine will not fit, goes in about a 1/4 of the length then binds. The NLT mag fits my Ready Tactical mag holders and real Glock 17s just fine.

Went through the holster drawer and it fits my main use holsters fine (Raven and Threat Solutions UCR) I don't have a Shaggy for a 17. Also fits a Serpa and Bladetech. Would not lock on the Safariland ALS (I tried 2) or let the hood close entirely without forcing it on a 6004. The rear of the pistol is a more dare I say Sigma-like angle than the straight drop of the Glock which I think plays into the 6004 hood not locking closed. Concerning the ALS, the pistol needs a deeper cut ejection port.

Both a SF X200 and a TLR-1 fit fine and worked in my carry light holster (TS UCR) but not the ALS.

The list above may sound like a lot of negatives but it is not. It's merely my observations so far as a mainly Glock shooter on what I have noticed and what gear of mine will work with this training tool. I think this is a great tool and see it not only helping me but also in helping me work with new shooters. It's better than my KWA G17, other than cats & small children don't react when you shoot them with it.:D

Spence

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest050-1.jpg

Saur
03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I've been dry firing my SIRT errrday since I got it in Feb.

Something broke in the trigger house module that made it all take-up, no clicky to the laser. There was no 'wall' or resistance or trigger break.

Contacted NLT's customer service rep and they're sending me out a new trigger module today!

:cool:

edit: shipped today, with an additional free magazine! Exceptional CS!

atingle
03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Mine arrived today! Now I have to decide on a holster.

Regards,
Alan

MDS
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Got mine a couple of days ago. Was able to adjust the trigger to be pretty close to my stock Gen3 G19. I also put my spare sights on it. Very, very cool to have such a close analogue of the trigger and sights from my "real" gun. Been dry-firing like crazy with it, and am very happy. :D

My buddy just ordered one, too - going to make for some interesting impromptu FoF practice, I think.

Chuck Haggard
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
My buddy just ordered one, too - going to make for some interesting impromptu FoF practice, I think.

Never, under any circumstances, do "impromptu" FoF

Never

Just like dry fire, this needs to be taken very seriously, especially the safety aspects of it.

MDS
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Never, under any circumstances, do "impromptu" FoF

Never

Just like dry fire, this needs to be taken very seriously, especially the safety aspects of it.

Understood, and thanks for the tip. To be clear: I have an elaborate dry-fire safety ritual, and I use the same one whether it's with a real gun or the SIRT. When I say "impromptu" I meant something along the lines of "improvised and unplanned," as opposed to having a lesson plan or a classroom environment. No reason we can't do the dry-fire safety ritual, then proceed to shine lasers on each other, at the spur of the moment. :cool:

Chuck Haggard
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Roger that, just wanted to make the point.

TAP
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Anyone hear anything about the M&P version of the SIRT? I'm patiently waiting.

Has anyone played with the red/red version compared to the PRO version? I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you have tried both. I'm thinking the PRO would be better because the 6" trigger press offset of the red/red may distract from sight picture.

BobM
06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone hear anything about the M&P version of the SIRT? I'm patiently waiting.

Has anyone played with the red/red version compared to the PRO version? I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you have tried both. I'm thinking the PRO would be better because the 6" trigger press offset of the red/red may distract from sight picture.

Earlier in the year (February maybe) they told me it was about 6 month out.

Jakus
06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Earlier in the year (February maybe) they told me it was about 6 month out.

I emailed them at the beginning of April and was told July. Haven't heard much about this red/red setup.

Cowtown44
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Where is everyone positioning the prep laser in relation to the sights or green shoot break laser beam?

VolGrad
07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I'd like to resurrect this thread again.

Now that folks have had these in their hands for a while I'd like to know what your impressions are. Mostly, I'd like to know if you would make the purchase again or if you now have some buyer's remorse.

I see they have two versions now available .... a Pro model (with a brighter, green laser for outdoor use) and a Student/Training model (red laser). I think the Student/Training model would be adequate for my needs (unless anyone has an argument for the Pro model ... other than outdoor use).

Follow-up questions ....
Anyone else have an ETA on a G19 model?
Anyone have a line on any kind of "deal"? Todd posted a code a while back but not sure it's still valid or if it can even be used for the Student/Training model.

dsa
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I just ordered one (SIRT Pro) a few days ago, should arrive in 3 weeks or so. I was told the Glock 19 is scheduled to be released next and that it is still in development; it should be ready for production towards the end of the year or early next year.

MDS
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Now that folks have had these in their hands for a while I'd like to know what your impressions are. Mostly, I'd like to know if you would make the purchase again or if you now have some buyer's remorse.

I've had mine for some months, and I was still dry-firing with it every day until the new baby was born. I stopped dry-fire at all for a few weeks, (or sleeping, either,) and am now getting back into a rhythm. I'll probably start using the SIRT again in a bit. The only drawback with my G17 SIRT is that draws and reloads are different enough from my carry G19s that I don't want to do too many reps with it. I've mostly used the SIRT to practice press outs and target acquisition.

I just ordered one a few days ago, should arrive in 3 weeks or so. I was told the Glock 19 is scheduled to be released next and that it is still in development; it should be ready for production towards the end of the year or early next year.

To answer your question, VolGrad, I will probably order a G19 version as soon as it comes available. (At which time, you may find a used G17 SIRT posted here for sale...) With a G19 SIRT, I can almost eliminate my real G19s from my dry-fire regimen - which would be a good thing for several reasons!

ToddG
07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
While I haven't tried it myself, my understanding is that the code on my site ("pistol-trainer") is also good for the red-red.

The only difference with the red-green is that it's usable outdoors. If you incorporate dry training into your live fire routine (which many of the SIRT guys do), that matters. The other benefit is for FOF outdoors. The green laser is easily visible even in the brightest sunlight. I have two red-green SIRTs now and it's amazing how much stuff you can do.

AlanR
09-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Which is the better investment for training: a SIRT pistol or an AA/Tac Sol .22 conversion?

LOKNLOD
09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Which is the better investment for training: a SIRT pistol or an AA/Tac Sol .22 conversion?

How often do you make it to the range? The .22 setup doesn't do you any good unless you're already there firing live rounds. It's just a cost saving tool to gget more trigger time. The SIRT gives you whole other capabilities to do dry fire with feedback, FOF stuff (not without some solid guidance of course). It really depends on your goals and areas of need.

AlanR
09-19-2011, 11:32 PM
During the summer months...3 to 4 times per week. During the winter months, about twice per month....primarily due to weather. A .22 conversion would allow me to increase range time via a local indoor range.

addiction
09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I have one of the Pro SIRT guns, had for about a month now. I train with it almost every day now. I shoot a G19 regularly and the SIRT is close enough that I am not dryfiring the G19 anymore. I set my SIRT up to as close to the G19 trigger as I could than made the trigger pull a little harder, maybe 0.5 lbs more pull.

I am doing a bunch of different things with it,
-practice draws from concealment against a par time set on my timer
-slow speed accuracy trigger pulls
-target transitions in the "breaks" of my workout
-really long accuracy out across the yard, maybe 30 yards
-leave it our on a kitchen counter and pick it up when ever I walk by and shoot a series of selected targets transitioning as quickly as possible.
-WHO, SHO shooting

basically I have come up with a bunch of different drills, the fact that it is a dedicated training pistol opens up a lot of opportunities to practice that normal dry firing does not. I got the Red slide since it is crystal clear it is not a real gun.

I usually train with the trigger take up laser turned off, I find it distracting, only during my draw practice do I turn it on, and only for a portion of the training. I use it to track my take up and be sure I am not on the trigger too soon...

I suggest that the green laser is worth the extra dollars, it really allows you to work on finer accuracy by selecting targets at a greater distance (like outside over 30 yds)

I know these are pretty scattered thoughts, but I wanted to capture the wide spectrum on what I am doing with it. Clearly I like it. If I had one issue, I find myself occasionally looking at the laser and not the sights, its a double edge sword issue, when I concentrate I can keep focus on the sights, and still can register where the laser is hitting, so it does train you to look at the sights if you concentrate on it, if you don't, well you develop a bad habit that is pretty gratifying, cause you see the laser on the target.

NickA
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Since Todd's sweet discount code is about to push me over the edge on one of these, a few questions:
Can the trigger be adjusted to the feel of the "-"/NY1 combo, or close enough?
Will regular G17 mags work okay for reload practice?
Sights can be changed out, right?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ToddG
12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Can the trigger be adjusted to the feel of the "-"/NY1 combo, or close enough?

You'll probably have to get some extra trigger "springs" from NLT. By adding additional springs, you can get the feel you're looking for.

Will regular G17 mags work okay for reload practice?

Some folks have reported very good success with this. Some of my mags stick. Because almost all of my reload practice is from slidelock, I don't use the SIRT much for that anyway.

Sights can be changed out, right?

Correct. Any Glock sight should work.

NickA
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks Todd. I don't see trigger springs listed, I guess just request them with the order?

JHC
12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
20% discount pushed me over the edge. I ordered the red/green Pro with red slide.

TheRoland
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Without the code or the NRA discount, these are quite pricey, but if they are able to release the M&P version before this coupon expires, I'll be on it so fast my wallet will spin.

I'm really interested to see how the M&P model turns out.

KeeFus
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Without the code or the NRA discount, these are quite pricey, but if they are able to release the M&P version before this coupon expires, I'll be on it so fast my wallet will spin.

I'm really interested to see how the M&P model turns out.

+1!!!

Ifightcrime
12-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Ok Merry Christmas to me. This will be a great tool to use at home and at work. Thanks NLT and Pistol-Training for the code. Now I need to get some dry fire targets and drills to practice with.

I will order and home for a speedy delivery.

Stay Sharp & Stay Safe!
IFC

NickA
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I knew this was going to happen: I held myself to a "wait period" before I ordered, just to make sure I really wanted it.
Ordered on the 14th, got the email about maybe 2 weeks to ship. I figured that's fine, not in any hurry, won't get it by Christmas anyway.
I just got my shipping email :( funny how knowing something is on the way makes the wait seem longer. At least it should be here in time for my birthday.

Jay Cunningham
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Mine showed up. Just need to figure out the best way to use it.

LOKNLOD
12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
It's been a little chaotic at my house this past week so I haven't used mine as much as I would like, but I did get a chance to open it up and adjust the trigger a bit. I added one spring and tried to lengthen it up a bit. Out of the box it is short and light. I don't have a scale to measure weights but if I had to describe it its like a stock glock trigger, with more take up force. Not quite NY1 strength, though. There is not enough travel length to get a P30 LEM analog going, but at best it's not too far off with just a much shorter takeup (and reset).

I also painted the front sight orange in lieu of swapping them out, for now. I adjusted the green laser downward to be behind the front sight at the distances I'll use it most (7 yds and under in my garage). I can see splash but not the laser itself. However at longer distance (full length of my side yard, which looks close to 25 yards) it's visible to the shooter.

I knew this was going to happen: I held myself to a "wait period" before I ordered, just to make sure I really wanted it.
Ordered on the 14th, got the email about maybe 2 weeks to ship. I figured that's fine, not in any hurry, won't get it by Christmas anyway.
I just got my shipping email :( funny how knowing something is on the way makes the wait seem longer. At least it should be here in time for my birthday.

Mine took 3 days from their door to me in OK; depending on when they actually shipped it I suppose you might get it on Saturday.

NickA
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Mine took 3 days from their door to me in OK; depending on when they actually shipped it I suppose you might get it on Saturday.

Yeah, um, sort of screwed myself there too. It's shipping to work and I won't be back until Wednesday.

Ifightcrime
12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Mine came in and I have been using it off and on for some unorganized dry firing drills. I am looking to T&E two more for my department.:)

After the first of the year I will start doing some organized dry fire drills.

Stay Sharp & Stay Safe!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

EHC
12-25-2011, 04:10 PM
My father (JHC) got me one of these for xmas. It's pretty awesome, but I'm having a hell of a time taking the pins out of the slide IOT get at the trigger module. Any advice?

LOKNLOD
12-25-2011, 04:14 PM
My father (JHC) got me one of these for xmas. It's pretty awesome, but I'm having a hell of a time taking the pins out of the slide IOT get at the trigger module. Any advice?

I gave them a gentle tap-tap-a-roo with a punch and very small hammer, then used an arbor press to push them back in so I didn't have to pound on it any more than necessary. I don't like hammering on electronics either.

EHC
12-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I gave them a gentle tap-tap-a-roo with a punch and very small hammer, then used an arbor press to push them back in so I didn't have to pound on it any more than necessary. I don't like hammering on electronics either.

Thanks! That was my next option but I was a bit too nervous to try without asking first.

jthhapkido
12-25-2011, 08:26 PM
RE: getting the slide pins out: Punch and hammer. They are in there _tightly_. (And no, I don't like hammering on electronics either.)

I just got one from my wife for Christmas, and those pins just didn't want to move.

On a non-related note---anyone have trouble with their red laser dying after about 10 minutes? [sigh] The green works great, but the red take-up laser died. Checked the contacts, they worked fine, reversed the pins so the green was the take-up and the red the release, and the green still worked fine--but no red.

The book even gave mention of the red laser dying, so I contacted NLT yesterday according to their instructions. (I assume they'll get back to me after the holiday.)

Anyone else have that happen to them? Was it something simple, or was the red laser actually dead?

JHC
12-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Not yet but we're only 18 hours into it. I'm co-located with EHC (above). Adjusting that trigger is a royal PIA. For amount it changes. Nice training alternative.

We may learn to adjust this trigger better over time but after an hour at least of fu%&ing with it, it's heavier than original setting, and longer than original setting, but not exactly a facsimilie of a Glock trigger. Not yet.

ChrisG
12-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Re:Tight Slide Pins
I bought an early production unit when they first came out, and the pins were easy to push in and out with the allen wrench that came with it. Recently the trigger stopped resetting on it's own, and NLT sent me a new production replacement (great customer service). The pins on the new one are extremely tight, and won't budge without hammering.

The new frame, "slide", and magazines all have minor changes compared to the early production, mostly cosmetic improvements. One practical improvement was the front site mount. The early one had a hybrid of a glock mounting hole with a dovetail cut in the "slide". However, the glock mounting hole wasn't to spec and I had to use a file to open it up when installing Warrens. On the new version they dropped the front dovetail and the standard Glock mounting hole was in spec.

JHC
12-26-2011, 12:07 PM
+1 yes a set of Warren sights fit right in like a Glock on this new one. Nice.

Ed L
12-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I was unlcear from the manual and the yourtube video. Does one knock the pins out from left to right or from right to left?

Thanks,

As it is the trigger does not resemble that of my Glocks in weight, travel, or reset--and my triggers are the 5.5lb setup or whatever they are calling it this week.

JHC
12-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I was unlcear from the manual and the yourtube video. Does one knock the pins out from left to right or from right to left?

Thanks,

As it is the trigger does not resemble that of my Glocks in weight, travel, or reset--and my triggers are the 5.5lb setup or whatever they are calling it this week.

We did right to left dissassembling and left to right reassembling. The slide to frame fit during reassembly was very tight. Got the rear pin tapped back in, then one pressed the slide down onto the frame with great effort while another got the pin started in the front hole. Then it was a quick tap tap thing.

Ed L
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Okay, I got it taken apart but was unable to change any of the settings to make it anything like my Glocks' triggers (the factory 5.5lb weight smoothed through use).

The Sirt's trigger has a lighter pull, different movement, different break, and different reset than the Glock.

Though it is a great concept, it doesn't seem to fit me.

I am seriously considering returning it and just relying on dryfiring the Glock.

jthhapkido
12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
....The book even gave mention of the red laser dying, so I contacted NLT yesterday according to their instructions. (I assume they'll get back to me after the holiday.)

And right after the holiday, they immediately got back to me, already have a new one shipped out to me, and have included prepaid postage to return the old one. Excellent customer service.

Just thought I'd add that, so people know how they deal with problems.

ToddG
12-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Okay, I got it taken apart but was unable to change any of the settings to make it anything like my Glocks' triggers (the factory 5.5lb weight smoothed through use).

Only two bits of advice I could offer:

Play with the settings some more. It's easy to rotate things far enough around that you're back at the beginning. Small movements make bigger changes.
Don't get too wrapped up in it being perfect. I started using a SIRT when my carry gun was an LEM HK45 and it still had real benefits.

Ed L
12-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Play with the settings some more. It's easy to rotate things far enough around that you're back at the beginning. Small movements make bigger changes.
Don't get too wrapped up in it being perfect. I started using a SIRT when my carry gun was an LEM HK45 and it still had real benefits.

Wow, thanks, Todd.

After reading your response I looked up your original post on the SIRT; http://pistol-training.com/archives/4387 and concluded that I will probably hang onto it, if nothing else but for building weakhand training while sitting at the computer.

I will have to see about adjusting the trigger as I can't seem to make it change and if anything am afraid of making it lighter by accident.

JHC
12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Todd's tips are encouraging. I'd say keep tinkering. We did manage to get the pull a bit heavier with longer travel than how it came and it even stacks up to a break.

RobG
12-31-2011, 02:19 PM
My carry gun is an HK usp compact lem. The grip angle and controls have an entirely different feel than the glock. Would a SIRT trainer be a good training tool for me or only serve to confuse the muscle memory for my carry gun? Is there an HK model on the horrizon? Switching to Glock for my carry gun is not an option.

JRL
12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
My carry gun is an HK usp compact lem. The grip angle and controls have an entirely different feel than the glock. Would a SIRT trainer be a good training tool for me or only serve to confuse the muscle memory for my carry gun? Is there an HK model on the horrizon? Switching to Glock for my carry gun is not an option.

Previous page:

Hope that helps

RobG
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
JRL,

Thanks, I missed that part.

RobG

ToddG
01-01-2012, 08:42 AM
RobG -- If you decide to try the SIRT, I'd recommend getting some extra springs to increase overall trigger weight. The folks at NLT can help you with getting your trigger set up to be at least a little more LEM-like. You wouldn't do all of your dry fire with the SIRT, but that's true if you use a Glock, as well. Just balance what you can get from the SIRT with what you need from your actual gun.

TAP
01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
SHOT update regarding M&P SIRT (posting an email from a friend who stopped by their booth yesterday):
They said hopefully in a month (March). Their molder is behind on the M&P because they had a bunch of government contracts to fulfill so they got behind with it due to building a bunch of G19s.

JV_
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
http://pistol-training.com/archives/6210

JSGlock34
03-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Looks like SIRT has introduced their new, lower priced model. At $219 (less with discount codes) I'm sure these will sell well.

https://nextleveltraining.com/content/new-sirt-performer-110-student-redred-training-pistol-red-slide

Has anyone tried their AR bolts? The red/red for $150 is tempting. I've been very pleased with my SIRT pistol.

Keebsley
05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
For those of you waiting for a G19 version, I emailed Next Level Training and got this response:

The G19 is currently being prototyped and we are planning for production in 4-5 months

So start saving your pennies.

GJM
05-20-2012, 12:11 AM
My wife and I did a practice session today, where we warmed up with a Smith 317 .22, fired double action, mostly support hand only, on steel and paper. We then ran each drill with the SIRT, with the other calling the laser's POI, and then repeated each drill live fire with a G17. It was incredibly effective in terms of results, and efficient in rounds fired. Notably, after running the SIRT on a drill, our first live rounds fired were as good as we are capable of -- versus needing to repeat a drill several times to get there.

On the bird dog front, she loves the SIRT even more than we do. Asleep on another floor, by the second click of the SIRT trigger, she has come at a dead run looking for the green dot.

orionz06
05-20-2012, 12:38 AM
I think I will have to give this a shot, SIRT then live fire. I may have said it before but never did it.

GOP
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
The SIRT is one of the best things I have ever done for my training. I shoot a Walther PPQ, and I almost exclusively dry fire the SIRT at home. In the past 30-32 days (since receiving the SIRT), I have averaged somewhere around 3 to 3.5 hours of SIRT dry practice, and 1,000 rounds of live fire practice each per week. The results:

Tom Given's HCST: from 131 to 157.

iHack: From 6/9 to 8/9.

Dot Torture: from 41/50 to 45/50 at 7m.

99 drill with 3x5 card: from 75 to 77.

Bill Drill at 7m: from 2.19 clean to 2.04 clean.

FAST: from 4.25 clean to 3.91 clean.

All from concealment with a PPQ in a AIWB concealment holster. Obviously the live fire helped a lot as well, but I'm a firm believer in the SIRT as a way of getting in A LOT of quality practice for FREE at your own home. I have not noticed any bad habits from switching from the SIRT (G17) to my PPQ at all, in fact, I actually have found that for me, the dry fire practice really helps perfect my technique in live fire. My eyes have been trained to be faster, and my cold skills have improved some as well. I highly recommend it. The SIRT I'm running is the cheaper one with the red laser.

dickmadison
05-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Anyone have the $219 version of the SIRT? If so, how do you like and how does it differ in weight from your real glock? Also, can you get the trigger close to your real trigger pull. i personally run minus connectors.

MD7305
05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Anybody using a SIRT and a Safariland 6360? I'm curious how the portion of the holster that goes in the business end of the barrel (that allows secure retention without a WML attached) would interact with the SIRT pistol? Would it damage the SIRT?

phil_in_cs
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone have the $219 version of the SIRT? If so, how do you like and how does it differ in weight from your real glock? Also, can you get the trigger close to your real trigger pull. i personally run minus connectors.

Bump - Anyone know the answer to this before I spend some money?

pr1042
06-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Can't answer your question but can save you some money!

NLT2012 for 10% off

ToddG
06-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I just wrote a quick review of the new Performer 110 plastic slide model at my site. The most important part is that NLT sent me a discount code for folks who want to buy one of the Performers. The code is FASTest.

The $219 red/red laser Performer 110 drops down to $189.
The $329 green/red laser Performer 110 Pro drops down to $284.

You need to purchase directly through their online store (here (http://nextleveltraining.com/product_list)) to apply the discount code.

I do not make any money when people use the discount code; however, I did receive my Performer 110 test sample free of charge.

Nephrology
06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
I just wrote a quick review of the new Performer 110 plastic slide model at my site. The most important part is that NLT sent me a discount code for folks who want to buy one of the Performers. The code is FASTest.

The $219 red/red laser Performer 110 drops down to $189.
The $329 green/red laser Performer 110 Pro drops down to $284.

You need to purchase directly through their online store (here (http://nextleveltraining.com/product_list)) to apply the discount code.

I do not make any money when people use the discount code; however, I did receive my Performer 110 test sample free of charge.

Shoot! I literally just ordered the performer with a different coupon code minutes before you posted.

One question re: the dual red/red lasers- is it hard to distinguish between takeup and shot break lasers?

ToddG
06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
One question re: the dual red/red lasers- is it hard to distinguish between takeup and shot break lasers?

They look identical, so if you have them zeroed to the same point I'd say it's impossible to distinguish them.

JM Campbell
06-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Come on M&P!! I'll buy in a heart beat.

I've used NickA's at the range a few times and really want the M&P version, thanks for the code but I'm willing to wait and pay full pop.

Nephrology
06-09-2012, 09:28 AM
They look identical, so if you have them zeroed to the same point I'd say it's impossible to distinguish them.

Do you think it might be useful then to just disable the takeup laser? or do you get a benefit from having both activated even if they are indistinguishable?

ToddG
06-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I rarely use the take up laser.

phil_in_cs
06-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Come on M&P!! I'll buy in a heart beat.

I've used NickA's at the range a few times and really want the M&P version, thanks for the code but I'm willing to wait and pay full pop.

There was an M&P, I think the 107 model, when I ordered. I think it was $208 w/ shipping & tax. Ordered Tuesday but they haven't shipped yet (Saturday)

Cool Breeze
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I called my order in and they said about 2.5 weeks to delivery. I think they mentioned they are working on on fulfilling some gov't orders. Looking forward to it!

x-rayted
06-09-2012, 11:14 PM
The thing I like most about my SIRT is you can see the green dot on target in full daylight. I have my dot adjusted slightly above my iron sight picture. I live on a USPSA/IMG range and get a lot of practice on plate racks, Texas star, swingers, drop turners, clam shells. My speed and accuracy have vastly improved using a SIRT as part of my training. Of course shooting various people on the tv helps me also.

I bought 4 of them when I was going to teach ccw after I lost my job, but found another job right away and never could find the time to teach ccw (still have 2 that have never been out of the box). At the time I bought mine the guy said they were going to manuf a AR15 SIRT. Anybody hear anything about this?

JM Campbell
06-10-2012, 12:42 AM
ARbolt that allows trigger reset @ $150 IIRC.

pr1042
06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Ugh, 203 shipped for student model with extended mag release. Wife won't be happy

phil_in_cs
06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Ugh, 203 shipped for student model with extended mag release. Wife won't be happy

I thought of the money as "a case of cheap 9mm"

pr1042
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I thought of the money as "a case of cheap 9mm"

I bought a case of ammo too.....

Got tracking info yesterday, SIRT should be here on Tuesday so maybe thy are caught up now

Cool Breeze
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I bought a case of ammo too.....

Got tracking info yesterday, SIRT should be here on Tuesday so maybe thy are caught up now

When did you purchase it? I bought mine on 6/4/2012 and haven't received any tracking yet?

Ray Keith
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Has anyone who has now used the SIRT for an extended period of time found any problem with it inducing you to look over your sights and watch for the laser dot? If you are focused in on your front sight, how do you get the feedback of the laser w/o looking over? Do you train with a partner who is watching the laser?

Byron
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Has anyone who has now used the SIRT for an extended period of time found any problem with it inducing you to look over your sights and watch for the laser dot? If you are focused in on your front sight, how do you get the feedback of the laser w/o looking over? Do you train with a partner who is watching the laser?

After almost a year of use (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4058-10-Months-with-the-SIRT), I have not found it to be an issue. The "Bad Habits" section of my write-up delves into the issue specifically.

pr1042
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
When did you purchase it? I bought mine on 6/4/2012 and haven't received any tracking yet?

The 10th. Student model and used the fastest code

Ray Keith
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
After almost a year of use (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4058-10-Months-with-the-SIRT), I have not found it to be an issue. The "Bad Habits" section of my write-up delves into the issue specifically.

Thank you, very helpful.

JM Campbell
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Shooting in the dark here but maybe adjust the laser to track above the front site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

phil_in_cs
06-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Mine shipped yesterday too; delivery next Wednesday 6/20. Ordered 6/5

LOKNLOD
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
With the green laser adjusted to hit just behind the front sight at the distances I usually use the SIRT, I think it has actually helped a bit with the target focus/eye sprinting issue. I can focus hard on the front sight and still get visual feedback via the visible light splash that I didn't yank the shot off into space, without having to shift my focus towards the target. It does take discipline to do this and not to end up focused on the target and essentially point shooting using the laser to walk it in.

pr1042
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Mine came in today, very pleased with the purchase. I don't dry fire nearly enough but I see myself using this daily and I can take it to work on weekends....

Laser is set up to where I barely get a splash of red if my sight alignment and trigger is correct. If I screw up either, I know because I see the dot then. All my mags fit and drop free. I need to adjust the trigger to make the break heavier. My only gripe is that it doesn't lock into my safariland holsters because there is no ejection port to grab onto but oh well

Platform consolidation complete!

http://i46.tinypic.com/kciljs.jpg

Cool Breeze
06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
mine is supposed to be delivered today! :cool:

phil_in_cs
06-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Well, mine was delivered yesterday, according to UPS. Where it was delivered remains to be seen. Time to see how SIRT's customer support works.

phil_in_cs
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, mine was delivered yesterday, according to UPS. Where it was delivered remains to be seen. Time to see how SIRT's customer support works.

They just called and are sending me a replacement. I can return the original when/if UPS finds it. That's good service.

rhung
07-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Ordered mine on 06/14, but haven't heard anything yet. Emailed them twice, but no response!? Not sure what's going on there?:confused::mad:

phil_in_cs
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Ordered mine on 06/14, but haven't heard anything yet. Emailed them twice, but no response!? Not sure what's going on there?:confused::mad:

When I had the problem w/ UPS, I contacted them via their website and they called me promptly.

rhung
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
When I had the problem w/ UPS, I contacted them via their website and they called me promptly.

Thanks Phil! I did contacted them via the website on Friday but nothing so far. Hopefully, I'll hear something from them tomorrow.

Shawn.L
07-01-2012, 06:33 PM

yeah, my SIRT broke. Apparently the older models like I have has a thin metal strip that touches the trigger, and after enough pulls it can snap. I put a comment on their site and had a call within an hour and they shipped a replacement the next day. Great service.
Now UPS fucked up delivery and shipped it all the way back (not NLT's fault) and they contacted me again to apologize and send it back.

rhung
07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Got a response back from NLT. Shipping next week! Yay!

yeah, my SIRT broke. Apparently the older models like I have has a thin metal strip that touches the trigger, and after enough pulls it can snap. I put a comment on their site and had a call within an hour and they shipped a replacement the next day. Great service.
Now UPS fucked up delivery and shipped it all the way back (not NLT's fault) and they contacted me again to apologize and send it back.

Cowtown44
07-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Anybody know how to change the front and rear sights. No instructions in manual. In fact, the manual needs a MAJOR upgrade with better photos.

orionz06
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Just like a Glock. Rear drifted out and the front unscrewed from below. I am using 10-8 sights on mine and had to shim the screw from below on the front and add some shim stock on the rear to allow it to sit tight but it otherwise works perfectly.

rhung
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Just received my SIRT today after 4 weeks of waiting. It fits in my G19 serpa, bladetech and crossbreed supertuck just fine. All SIRT magazines fit fine in my raven concealment & fobus mag pouches. The default trigger pull seems much heavier than my glocks.

I can't wait to start my dry fire routines.

rhung
09-06-2012, 09:55 PM
After 5 months of daily usage of my SIRT, it started to mess up three days ago. The trigger laser(default green laser) doesn't work every time when I press the trigger. I just tried to take the slide off, but it seemed to be quite stubborn. I think I read it in the previous posts that it's a major pain to remove those pins. Anybody experienced the same problem with the laser not firing every time?

JM Campbell
09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Contact NLT, this is a warranty issue. IIRC there a a contact strip that does wear out and will be fixed.

I've heard of this issue on this board, earlier in this thread I believe. The situation was handled promptly and professionally by my recollection.

rhung
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I've tried to contact NLT via their website twice in this past week, but it's quite disappointing to say no one has responded at all. I find this unusual. In the past, they were pretty good at getting back to customers.

bdcheung
09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I've tried to contact NLT via their website twice in this past week, but it's quite disappointing to say no one has responded at all. I find this unusual. In the past, they were pretty good at getting back to customers.

If they're hosted by GoDaddy, they may have been affected by that outage.

NickA
09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Give them a call. I had similar issues several months ago but a phone call got it taken care of ASAP.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Keebsley
09-14-2012, 10:55 AM
They might have also been busy with the NTOA since they just had a conference of some type this past week or so.

rhung
09-24-2012, 10:45 AM
After 3 attempts via emails, I finally found the time to give them a call. They're very nice, but I do have to pay for the shipping to send the gun back to repair the lasers.

rhung
09-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Mailed out my SIRT today. Let's see how long it will take to get it back.

MDS
09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I got mine back a few days ago. My SIRT's takeup laser died months ago, but that was fine. When it stopped holding zero, that was a show-stopper. I called, and they said they're rebuild it. I shipped it to them, they shipped it back after a couple of weeks, and dry-fire is fun again. :)

That's pretty good customer service, given I've had the SIRT for about a year and half now, and it shows clear signs of, ah, less-than-gentle handling... I'll probably get an AR bolt from them at some point, run around the back yard with barricades and drive they neighborhood cats crazy with the laser. :cool:

rhung
10-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh Yes! I got my SIRT back today. It took less than a week to get it done. Awesome! Ms. Carolyn was super nice & followed upthrough the end. I can't wait to dry fire again.

ToddG
10-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Now proven to help in zombie slaying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy5z5XmeTsU

JV_
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
That was fantastic.

wooderson
11-17-2012, 04:42 PM
I've been reading up on the SIRT pistols, decided I need to get one (1k-2k rounds of 9mm vs. years of free practice!), thought I'd solicit some opinions on which one to get. Basically unsure of the importance/value of the metal slide, green laser, and adjustable trigger/magazines.

I'm a fairly primitive shooter - better than most people I see on a range, but I've never practiced hard (compared to PF users, etc.) or competed in IDPA/USPSA or the like. I have very little experience drawing (from concealment or out - my range time has mostly been indoors). I'd like to change that.

First off, I'll be practicing almost entirely indoors - still worth the extra cost for the red and green lasers?
re: Metal slide, adjustable mag weight and adjustable trigger - the Performer 110 loses some ability in those areas, but I'm not sure that someone at my level might not do more harm than good monkeying with all the possibilities, particularly if the SIRT comes close-enough to a Glock trigger out of the box.

I'm leaning toward the basic SIRT Performer 110 to start with, and as my skills improve moving up to the top of the line Pro down the line.

Up1911Fan
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Just ordered a SIRT since I couldn't find ammo by the case anywhere. Been meaning to get one for awhile now, the ammo shortage pushed me over the edge.

SPDGG
02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
* Couldn't hold out any longer. This can only be a PLUS to my training. Thank you everyone for the feedback, Helped A LOT in the decision to purchase.

Order In! :D

TAZ
02-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I just wish they would hurry up with the MP version. I'm also thinking about the AR bolt. Anyone use that with a red dot. In thinking the green laser may be a necessity there.

G14classified
03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Can anyone please help me out to lighten the trigger press?

The instructions weren't too clear, at least for me.

JSGlock34
03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Anyone try this out?

LASR (Laser Activated Shot Reporter)

http://www.mwts-training.com/LASR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kB_0E5oHwp0

Doug
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I own a SIRT that I am happy with.

Here is a cheaper copycat that laserlyte is putting out.

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lt-tt

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0095/1612/products/lt_tt_1_large.jpg?358

Doug
03-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BU6VIqXXA

orionz06
03-15-2013, 10:58 PM
I own a SIRT that I am happy with.

Here is a cheaper copycat that laserlyte is putting out.

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lt-tt

That unit requires a $120 laser as well for a total of around $200.

Doug
03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
I like the green laser and the near Glock ergo of the SIRT.

If you already have their insert, might be a way to test in concept.

I would like to hear someone's feedback of the laserlyte trigger before I would consider it.

Also, what holsters would it even fit into?

pr1042
03-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I posted in another thread but can't hurt to place here too. I picked up a SIRT pistol from here and had it within a business week.

All prices include shipping

Plastic Slide w/ red lasers - 185
Metal Slide w/ red lasters - 275
Plastic Slide w/ red and green lasers - 300
Metal Slide w/ red and green lasers - 375

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=SIRT&Submit=Go

Up1911Fan
03-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I posted in another thread but can't hurt to place here too. I picked up a SIRT pistol from here and had it within a business week.

All prices include shipping

Plastic Slide w/ red lasers - 185
Metal Slide w/ red lasters - 275
Plastic Slide w/ red and green lasers - 300
Metal Slide w/ red and green lasers - 375

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=SIRT&Submit=Go

That's where I got mine as well.

Shawn.L
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
That laserlyte would be cool just for dry fire without a laser on the cheap.

Clyde from Carolina
03-16-2013, 04:32 PM
I need to get a SIRT. Just went to top of The List.

TCinVA
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Anyone try this out?

I haven't...but I'm keenly interested in it.

jon volk
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Anyone have an issue with the consistency of the brightness of the sirt laser? It seems mine will be bright, bright, bright, dim, bright, dim, dim, bright. It's almost always dim the first few shots after sitting for over a day.

HPFlashman
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone try this out?

That looks just the ticket for the more dynamic inclined shooter.

I`ve worked some with lasersimulators tooled for ISSF competitions (both rifle and pistol) some years back as parts of a college course in shooting and found them to be extremely useful in assessing and analysing shooter performance as well as setting up individual training programs for shooters, based on the feedback. The one we used the most was the SCATT simulator (http://www.scatt.com/).

If the one in the quoted link gives just a fraction of the possibilities of the SCATT system, I would say its well spent money. :-)

Ray Keith
03-19-2013, 09:34 AM
That looks just the ticket for the more dynamic inclined shooter.

I`ve worked some with lasersimulators tooled for ISSF competitions (both rifle and pistol) some years back as parts of a college course in shooting and found them to be extremely useful in assessing and analysing shooter performance as well as setting up individual training programs for shooters, based on the feedback. The one we used the most was the SCATT simulator (http://www.scatt.com/).

If the one in the quoted link gives just a fraction of the possibilities of the SCATT system, I would say its well spent money. :-)

At most $110 for the top end model...the quality of the webcam seems to be a key to it working well. Can anyone figure out if there is a set distance you must place the targets from the camera? It appears you have to use one distance and then used scaled targets.

No one has tried this yet? I may have to after the April 15th prison rape...

Manu
09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Has anyone tried it yet?!

Super J
09-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Anyone have an issue with the consistency of the brightness of the sirt laser? It seems mine will be bright, bright, bright, dim, bright, dim, dim, bright. It's almost always dim the first few shots after sitting for over a day.

I have the pro model (green/red laser with metal slide) and have not experienced any dimming issues.

jon volk
09-27-2013, 08:04 AM
I probably should have updated this. The laser in mine finally went out. NLT replaced the laser/trigger under warranty. No more variable dimming issues. Quick turn around too.

Byron
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
From my experience (happened to one of my units, and to some friends), that seems to be the standard failure in SIRT pistols.

The weak link* in the design chain is a metal tab underneath the trigger adjustment components. It makes contact with the trigger and is necessary to complete the circuit that powers the laser. Every time you pull the trigger, the tab I mention gets flexed. Eventually it will start to fatigue, crack, and eventually break off.

(This is not to call the SIRT weak, as I think it is a very robust tool. Rather, I see this as a predictable point of eventual failure)

When it starts to fatigue and crack, the circuit becomes compromised, and the laser will not illuminate consistently at the same brightness from shot to shot. As this gets worse, some trigger presses won't even result in a laser dot at all. Eventually, the tab will crack enough that the laser no longer turns on at all.

Here are two very poor quality photos I took a while back, before I sent mine in to NLT.

In this first photo, you can see where the tab snapped off:

http://byrong.com/sirt/snapped1.JPG

And this is the portion that snapped off:

http://byrong.com/sirt/snapped2.JPG

They were great about fixing it. They didn't ask for proof of purchase, they didn't ask how old it was, or anything like that. They just told me to send it in, and I got it back that very same week.

With that said, I wish that in the future they would offer the customer an option to simply purchase replacement parts. I am comfortable replacing this part myself and would rather not have to send in my SIRT every time. This piece will only last X** number of trigger pulls before it eventually fails.

**I don't see any indication of a hard value for X. One of my friends had to send his SIRT back within a month or two of purchase. My SIRT, on the other hand, had been in use for many months before an issue developed. I also have a second SIRT which has been in use for months and has not (yet) had any problems.

If the above photos aren't clear, I can try to take some better ones this weekend (of an intact unit, of course). You can also see this tab without taking apart your SIRT: simply look where the trigger goes into the receiver. You will see the metal tab in contact with the trigger.

JAD
09-27-2013, 02:22 PM
That's a really common failure mode with cantilever contacts. For an extra $0.50 per unit, they could have a contact that would last ~1M cycles.

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I really like the SIRT as a teaching aid, but as a dry practice tool I think it should be relegated to the "last resort" bin. For me, it's something to use in a hotel room, and then I'm likely to disable the laser and just use the sights and trigger.

MDS
09-18-2014, 08:06 PM
I really like the SIRT as a teaching aid, but as a dry practice tool I think it should be relegated to the "last resort" bin. For me, it's something to use in a hotel room, and then I'm likely to disable the laser and just use the sights and trigger.

Is that because you're likely to focus on the laser dot instead of the front sight? Other reasons? The SIRT is so convenient for dry fire that it's what I use almost exclusively, and I find it's actually a good exercise for staying focused on the FS if I decide it's that kind of exercise...

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2014, 08:08 PM
I do think the tendency is to look for the laser. I also think it's better to use your actual handgun whenever possible.

It is quite valuable for teaching, though.

MDS
09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
But to be clear, it's better than not dry firing at all?

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Eh... I'd still disable the laser. Then yes, absolutely. I'd probably just put a piece of tape over the front.

MDS
09-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Gotcha. Looking forward to your update on the dry fire thread!

Wendell
09-19-2014, 09:25 PM
...I also think it's better to use your actual handgun whenever possible...

For Glock dryfire, do you like the 17R/22R model?

Jay Cunningham
09-21-2014, 08:09 AM

How much do they cost?

Mr_White
09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
I briefly entertained the notion of a 17R for dry fire. Then I tried one. Trigger pull was yukky and resembled a mutant NY2 much more than my real gun's trigger. That is ok from the standpoint of tackling a difficult trigger pull, which is useful. But that's not the only way I want to practice and they cost about the same as a real gun, IIRC. I believe the trigger parts are also specific to the 17R, so you can't change around the trigger pull with readily-available OEM parts like on a normal Glock.

Jay Cunningham
09-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I just finished up some coaching with two lovely and talented young ladies. The SIRT was very useful on general, but specifically was useful for getting my point across about a decisive commitment to the trigger manipulation.

If the red takeup laser was on for more than a second or two before the green laser appeared, it was an indicator that they were agonizing over their shot.

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2014, 09:54 AM
I also think it's better to use your actual handgun whenever possible.

I briefly entertained the notion of a 17R for dry fire. Then I tried one. Trigger pull was yukky and resembled a mutant NY2 much more than my real gun's trigger. .... they cost about the same as a real gun, IIRC. I believe the trigger parts are also specific to the 17R, so you can't change around the trigger pull with readily-available OEM parts like on a normal Glock.

I like the Blade Tech training barrels:

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=81_123

luckyman
09-23-2014, 10:37 AM
I like the Blade Tech training barrels:

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=81_123

Does this eliminate the need for snap caps ? I'm guessing you can't use them even if you wanted to; was more wondering if it did anything similar to snap caps in terms of reducing stress on the striker assembly.

Mr_White
09-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I'd need to look at them again to verify, but my recollection is that the Blade-Tech training barrel isn't going to do anything to reduce wear and tear on the firing pin or the breechface.

And they don't make a G34 length one, either. :(

BWT
09-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Has anyone used the software from two pages back?

Chuck Whitlock
09-24-2014, 04:38 PM
my recollection is that the Blade-Tech training barrel isn't going to do anything to reduce wear and tear on the firing pin or the breechface. :(

True.

Wendell
09-24-2014, 08:41 PM
I'd need to look at them again to verify, but my recollection is that the Blade-Tech training barrel isn't going to do anything to reduce wear and tear on the firing pin or the breechface. And they don't make a G34 length one, either. :(

That's a good point. If Blade-Tech is going to make one for the G34, they could choose to redesign it so that the slide's breechface is supported by solid polymer (rather than nothing).

One could also choose to grind the end off of the firing pin, like in the P models.