PDA

View Full Version : "no line" bifocals

Ray Keith
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
IDPA/USPSA with "no line" bifocals? How about toric lens contacts?

If you use the no line bifocals, did you get dedicated shooting glasses made with them? If so, where?

Thanks

Ray

JeffJ
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Ray,
I wear toric lens contacts, but they're for astigmathism (sp?) I don't wear any kind of dedicated reading glasses, so that may be someting different. The only problem I've ever had with contacts is I shot a stage once and all of a sudden everything got blurry - fortunatly it was just the one eye that my contact acted up in and I was able to close that eye and go on without any problems (I usually shoot both eyes open but can shoot with either one closed without too much trouble.)

I have a friend though who is an opthamologist (sp?) who told me that he has outfitted a few shooters with special glasses and bifocals to help them focus on the front sight. I think these were mostly or all rifle shooters and he has them bring in thier gun and they dial in the focus for the distance to the front sight. I don't know why someone couldn't do that with a pistol - it's usually going to be about the same distance away, you might want to discuss with the doc before he walks into you dry firing in the exam room though ;)

Ray Keith
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a good doc he listens. He is going to try a couple of things, I'm borderline on the toric lenses, so he isn't starting there. Are the toric lenses comfortable? Do they feel like they are moving around all of the time?

JeffJ
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Having never worn anything else I don't have a frame of reference. But I will say that in the last 10 years or so they have gotten much better. If you take them out everynight and clean them (I don't, I usually only take them out about once a week) I don't think you'll ever have any problems aside from the usual dry lenses stuff (especially in Lubbock) but drops take care of that for me.

The only moving around issue I ever had was wrestling in high school, when we would flip upside down and stretch/strengthen our necks against mat my lenses would flip upside down as well and things would get a bit blurry. So, unless you plan on hanging upside down and shooting like in the Crossfit video someone posted the other day I wouldn't worry about it:rolleyes:

Simon
06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I wear no line corrective lens, but their not strictly bifocals. They are graduated from distance to reading and focus at all distances by moving the head up or down. After just a short time you adjust and just see at the distance you want. I don't think about it, I just look at the object and my head automatically moves to the correct position.

I tried the contacts and I couldn't make them work

Larry SK
06-19-2011, 07:10 AM
I tried shooting with "no line" glasses and it was costing me too much time in IDPA competitions lining up the focus on the front sights. I had my eye doctor make me a pair of glasses with the right eye focus (dominent eye) on the front sight and the left was left at regular distance focus. The set up works very well for me, although I do have trouble with calling my shots and cannot see the holes in the target beyond about 25 feet. (Note: that this setup only works for handguns shooting and does not work for long guns or rifle scopes. I have to go back to my no line glasses for that class of shooting.)

Ray Keith
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
I wear no line corrective lens, but their not strictly bifocals. They are graduated from distance to reading and focus at all distances by moving the head up or down. After just a short time you adjust and just see at the distance you want. I don't think about it, I just look at the object and my head automatically moves to the correct position.

I tried the contacts and I couldn't make them work

What was your time frame for adjusting to the graduated lenses?..basically how long before you were no longer conscious of the head movement?

Simon
06-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I have been wearing no line bifocals for 20 years more or less. but with this last pair with the graduated focus it just took a few days and I quit looking for the correct because it was just there. Iwould say 2 or 3 days. I wasn't doing a lot of pistol shooting at the time, mostly rifle. They work as well for a flintlock rifle with a 42" barrel (open fixed sights) as they do with a pistol. I can shoot about a 5" group at 25 yrds with a Ruger. LC9 standing 2 hand wearing these glasses. Thats not really a good group, but my point is the glasses are not holding me back. YMMV

Simon