PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used gun safe.

Shellback
06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I just replied to an ad for additional information on a used gun safe for sale (http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?p=188141#post188141) in my local area and was wondering what types of things I should look for in a physical and visual inspection of the safe? Any recommendations or advice would be very helpful.

Personally I'd rather have the old school dial lock but if I can get a good deal I'll go with the digital as I know the BF safes are typically well regarded.

Also, anyone with more knowledge know if that's a good price? I would think there's a little wiggle room there and I saw new ones listed online for around $2k.

EricP
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Your link says that you are not logged on and don't have permission to see that page.

So, without having any real idea what we are talking about, safes can vary wildly in cost and quality. Important things to look for are the thickness of the door, thickness of the body, number of bolts, fire rating and of course the lock.

The steel used on the door should be at least 3/16". The body should be at least 12 gauge. Thicker is better, until you have to move it.

The more bolts you have the better. The method that they operate is worth noting as well. It could be either a linkage system or gear driven. If you only have to turn the handle 1/4-1/2 turn, its likely a linkage. If you have to turn it several times, it would be a rack and pinion system. You might also find a friction clutch on a gear driven system, that would prevent someone from forcing the lock.

Fire rating can and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I don't think that there are two manufactures that use the same test criteria. This one will stand 1200* for an hour, the next one will use 1350* for 45 minutes. The idea being that the internal temperature stays below 350*. Sometimes there will be a sticker on the edge of the door telling you this. Its probably best not to test it.

Sargent and Greenleaf makes a nice lock, but I'm sure there are others. Options include combination, digital, key backup, key that prevents the combo lock from being turned, and just regular keyed. My FFL, who also happens to be a locksmith, was telling me that the are standards for these locks for size and mounting locations. If you don't like your lock, there is the possibility of changing it.

Last thing, gun safes never hold as many guns as they say they do. This goes double for long guns with optics and pistol grips. Buy something bigger than you need.

Hope this helps.