PDA

View Full Version : South African Police Service: Col Mark Ishlove: EOW 06/15/2011

DrDave
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
South African Police Service Reservist Colonel Mark Ishlove was killed yesterday in a gunfight with armed robbers in Johannesburg. He was off-duty when he responded to a report over his radio that his colleagues were chasing armed robbers.

Shoot-out near Johannesburg school

Johannesburg- Three people, one of them a police reservist, were killed on Wednesday in a shoot-out opposite Northcliff Primary School.

The incident occurred after a security company, Beagle Watch, was alerted to the five suspects in the Mimosa Road area.

Beagle Watch operations manager Jakes Shakung said that one of their officers chased the gang to a street near Northcliff Primary School.

The suspects ran into different houses opposite the school, with two of them even locking themselves in a toilet, Shakung said.

When police went into the house after the suspects, they began shooting at each other, resulting in a police reservist losing his life.

The SA Police Service then responded with a tactical response unit and a helicopter and one of the suspects was shot dead.

Another suspect shot himself dead and a police officer was also injured in the shooting.

The three other suspects were arrested.

An official at the school said that everything was “under control” and that all the children had been sent home.

- News24

Kyle Reese
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
RIP Col Ishlove.

I knew some South African expats in Iraq, some of them were former members the Police Service. I had no idea crime was so bad there (compared to the US).

DrDave
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
GS,
South Africa has kinda become the "America" of Africa. Due to political instability and the promise of a better life millions of migrants have entered through our thousands of miles of porous borders. This in combination with already high (40%) unemployment and a strong sense of entitlement amongst South Africans has created a breeding ground for criminals. Its multifactorial and a lot more complicated than just this

SA has the second highest murder rate (after Colombia) and highest rape rate in the world. Its hard to determine why but South Africa has bred a particularly violent, brutal criminal. Many of them are former soldiers and militia from neighbouring countries where civil war has ended. They hunt in packs (usually 4 or 5) and extreme violence is the norm. Women and children gang-raped, tortured with irons and boiling water. A home invasion often leads to death or rape and the victims that I have treated from these crimes are usually beaten into a pulp.

Usually I try to be up-beat about my beloved country but after shit like this its hard to be.

ghettomedic
06-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I fly out tomorrow for 5 weeks in JHB with my girlfriend. She is living in Westdene, about 6 kM from where this shooting took place.

Dr. Dave, any suggestions? I've already tried to deselect myself by being the "gray man", anything else I should know about?

BigT
06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
RIP

Wooten let use know when you are here we can hook up for a coffee or something. You can carry a blade pepper spray etc no problem here. Don't flash the trappings of tourism or wealth. Keep uber aware. Don't fall for anyones sob stories.

I think the great man thing is overblown here. I'm a local but can't be grey in a lot of places. Guys who look like me only make up about ten percent of the population so I'm often going to stick out. Just work on looking like you belong. And if you pass any signs that say welcome toHillbrow reverse immediately.