PDA

View Full Version : John Hearne @ Range Masters Tac Conference.

_JD_
02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
John's lecture at the tac conference was superb, even if it's not 100% complete. Can't wait for the complete version. I don't care if it ends up being a two day lecture I'll sit through it all again. Lots of stuff to digest.

All I know that whatever venue he teaches better have a lot of walking room for John. Darn near got whiplash trying to keep up where he was at in the classroom.

Good work John, we can't wait for the finished class.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

NETim
02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
John's lecture at the tac conference was superb, even if it's not 100% complete. Can't wait for the complete version. I don't care if it ends up being a two day lecture I'll sit through it all again. Lots of stuff to digest.

All I know that whatever venue he teaches better have a lot of walking room for John. Darn near got whiplash trying to keep up where he was at in the classroom.

Good work John, we can't wait for the finished class.

I enjoyed his class at last year's TAC conference. He's good at what he does.

pax
02-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Agreed. John did a great and very thought provoking presentation.

pax

Dagga Boy
02-24-2014, 01:26 PM
John is really the first guy to REALLY nail the science to reality mix. Now if I can get him to do my power point for me. Anyone who is interested in the "why" needs to be exposed to it.

LtDave
02-24-2014, 06:28 PM
John's presentation alone was worth the drive from AZ to TN.

1slow
02-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Great class, science to support why things work.

Cecil Burch
02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
I was kicking myself that mostly because of the scheduling, I missed it.

Literally, EVERYONE who attended it was raving about it. By the time the 33rd person mentioned how awesome it was to me, I wanted to start cheapshoting them.

Chuck Haggard
02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Well then, from the safety of my keyboard, let me say that the presentation is one of the very best blocks of instruction I have ever attended.

John Hearne
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Guys,

First, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my earlier thread. That thread was great input and "thought fertilizer" that really paid off. I was really glad to be able to squeeze the current version of my chart even if it was for just two slides worth of time.

Thanks for all of the compliments. Some of you know how much work is involved in a project of this scale and it's hard to drive through it while wondering if it will pay off. Apparently, everything is on track. I originally thought that I'd have trouble finding enough stuff to fill four hours and now I think I can do justice to six solid hours if I get everything in there that I want.

At the risk of stepping on toes, it's just sad to see trusted industry professionals shovel the same BS that has been floating around for the last 20 years. There is good science out there and we need to be focusing on it instead of the same discredited information.

For future reference, if I had offered the slide handouts in printed format before the talk for the cost of copies - maybe $3-5, what percent of people do you think would want them? I'm not able to give the printed copies for fee but it might make the brain dump less painful.

Chuck Haggard
02-26-2014, 12:31 AM
Shut up and take my money...............

ToddG
02-26-2014, 12:41 AM
I'm certain I would have.

More important, I'd happily pay 10x that for the 6hr PDN video you should be putting out...

1slow
02-26-2014, 01:04 AM
I would still like to buy them, I think everybody in the class would.

Wayne Dobbs
02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
John,

I'm sorry to say I missed the conference due to pinched nerve problems and that meant I didn't get to see your presentation. I would love to purchase your presentation and would offer a suggestion to write some type of peer reviewed paper on this topic. Our craft is sorely lacking this type of documentation of what we've learned that can be passed down and used as a solid resource by a bunch of trainers who are currently feeling their way through the woods.

ST911
02-26-2014, 10:42 AM
John- If you offer them, I'm in. I'd love the handouts.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
02-26-2014, 10:56 AM
John-

It was good to meet you, I'd be in as well, as the presentation got my attn. to the point that I sat thru it twice.

Aray
02-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I have to agree. Great job John. It also requires that I go back through everything and sift it though another filter. Thanks, I think.

Chuck Whitlock
02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
I enjoyed his class at last year's TAC conference. He's good at what he does.

Spot on. I'm sorry I didn't get to make it this year.

What he said.

SeriousStudent
02-26-2014, 09:05 PM
I was not able to attend the conference. I would be delighted to pay for a copy of your presentation plus any associated shipping and preparation fees, John.

TheTrevor
02-27-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm certain I would have.

More important, I'd happily pay 10x that for the 6hr PDN video you should be putting out...

What that guy ^^^ said. I'd pay cash money for the video, and more on top of that for an accompanying PDF of notes and/or slides.

Corvus
02-27-2014, 03:49 AM

What he said.

NETim
02-27-2014, 06:16 AM
I think I see a trend.

_JD_
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
I'd be more than happy to pay for two handouts!

_JD_
02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
I although I do have to say that at least Cecil had handouts....:D

Al T.
02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
I think I see a trend.

Ditto. I'd be happy to pay. :)

Cecil Burch
02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I although I do have to say that at least Cecil had handouts....:D

But mine was a lot simpler to do than John's!

_JD_
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
But mine was a lot simpler to do than John's!

Yeah, one page vs. a text book is hard to argue about. But it's the thought that counts!

Tom Givens
02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Here are links to two articles about the Tactical Conference. One is by Tiger McKee and the other by Greg Ellifritz.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-2014-rangemaster-tactical-conference

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox/14472f3ab13c17b1

By the way, The Tactical Wire is an excellent source of free information. I recommend everyone subscribe to it.

Chuck Haggard
02-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Tom, the one link jumps to Google mail instead of the wire

Shellback
02-27-2014, 02:31 PM
I'd be interested in purchasing as well, if it becomes available.

sammage
02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
One of the more thought-provoking presentations at the conference...I'd be interested in a copy.

Tom Givens
02-27-2014, 03:17 PM
From the Tactical Wire, with permission.

I highly recommend subscribing to The Tactical Wire. Good source of free information.

Skill Set: Rangemaster Tactical Conference
by Tiger McKee

This last weekend I was fortunate enough to get off the range to attend the Rangemaster Tactical Conference, a three day gathering in Memphis, Tennessee, of defensive shooters and trainers that is held every year.

Tom Givens is the man behind Rangemaster and an outstanding teacher. Memphis is a violent town, and over sixty of his students have been involved in violent confrontations. All the ones who were armed were successful in defeating their attackers. This provides Tom and his staff with a lot of hard information based on the real world, the one we live, work, play and sometimes have to fight in.

He began the conference, which originally was a shooting match, in 1998. Eventually the match evolved into more of a presentation format with a variety of different instructors presenting material, mostly in two-hour blocks. Over the three-day period this allowed the 175 attendees to attend lectures from twenty-two trainers on subject matters ranging from the mental aspects of defensive confrontations, O.C. spray use, unarmed tactics and other material, all covered by experts in their fields.

The conference also included a match, where shooters fired a set of standards and a defensive scenario. 129 people shot the match, and all during the conference you could hear the thumping of pistols being fired on the indoor range.

Over the next few weeks I'll be doing a few columns to give you an idea of what the conference was like and some of the material presented there. I can tell you that everyone there was serious, both the attendees and the experts presenting material. There were no guys decked out in camo and tactical vests. In fact most of the men and women attending were carrying concealed, even though you could openly carry inside Rangemaster's building. (The match also called for the shooters to use their every day carry gear.) Normally, when you have that many gun people carrying in one place you'll see some kind of trouble, like that guy who says, "Hey, let me show you this new set of sights on my gun." You know what I'm talking about. Not once did I see any kind of problem or even a hint of something hinky. It was a very comfortable atmosphere where everyone was welcome.

The trainers that were presenting were all very well received, and you could tell they had put in an enormous amount of time and effort to provide the attendees with high value material. For the time spent, three days, and the cost, $299, this was the best value in training that I've attended in a long time.

When it comes to training, and preparing to defend family or ourselves, we often focus on range work and shooting. However, this is really the easy part of the equation. Fighting is mostly a mental process, problem solving at high speed. The Rangemaster Tactical Conference is a great way to train the brain, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Tiger McKee is director of Shootrite Firearms Academy, located in northern Alabama. He is the author of "The Book of Two Guns," writes for several firearms/tactical publications, and is featured on GunTalk's DVD, "Fighting With The 1911 - http://shootrite.org/dvd/dvd.html Website: www.shootrite.org

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shootrite-Firearms-Academy/156608611038230?ref=ts

jlw
02-27-2014, 06:19 PM
John did a great job with the presentation and all of the research that went with it. Even a non science guy like myself was able to makes sense of it (at least I think I was able to...)

It was cool to see the presentation in light having read the thread here where a lot of it was hashed out.