PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of Glock NY1 TRS without the coil

davisj
06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm curious as to the reliability of running a NY1 (usually in combination with an OEM 4.5 connector) without the coil as I've read this on numerous forums. I currently run OEM 4.5s with the standard TRS but I'm not crazy about the mushy take-up. A NY1 with the coil is a little too stiff but before I try the NY1 without the coil I want to make sure this isn't some kind of Bubba-Mod. Any reason to avoid this? Thanks!

ADK
07-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I'd be curious about this too, if anyone has a really high round count in this config (minus connector, NY1 spring with coil spring removed--just the plastic).
I've run about 1,000 rounds and lots of dry fire with it with no problems so far, but that ain't much.

I've read of one instance of someone breaking the plastic of the NY1 spring, but that was WITH the coil spring installed. No word re: whether that was with the minus or the standard connector.

I've also read that Glock changed from the original NY spring design (plastic piece with leaf spring built into it) to the NY1 design not because of any breakage issues, but because the leaf spring would take a set after a while, reducing pull weight. Then again, that design did include a metal leaf spring within the plastic.

Theoretically, the plastic piece should be moving through the same range of motion without the coil spring as with, and the little "legs" prevent overbending in either case. If anything, removing the coil spring results in less total tension in the system (not sure exactly where all force vectors go). So there SHOULD be no decrease in reliability over the standard NY1 configuration, in theory. . . .

. . . But theoretically, all Gen4 glocks should work perfectly out of the box too!

Just gotta keep testing. I have a whole lot of standard coil springs and a few NY1 springs for backup in any case.

Spr1
07-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Plastic/polymer is an exceedingly poor material to make a spring out of...... IMO
I would not want to count on it without the metal spring installed. The fact that they replaced the leaf spring with a coil suggests that Glock considered more resistance to stress relaxation important to the consistent function of the weapon.