PDA

View Full Version : NFL may impose 15-yard penalties for racial slurs on the field

Robert Mitchum
02-23-2014, 01:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/nfl-may-impose-15-yard-penalties-for-racial-slurs-on-the-field/

Mjolnir
02-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Had they incorporated this 50 yrs ago it would perhaps be a non-issue today.

The language is "colorful", no doubt. But the very last thing I would ever do is provide my opponent motivation.

Meh! Good luck with it. I refuse to observe.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Casual Friday
02-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Will the penalty be against black players as well, or just the white ones? They use the N word much more frequently than whites do.

fixer
02-23-2014, 12:02 PM
wow. Sad. The state of sportsmanship is so low that the NFL is resigned to such a rule.

Drang
02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Given the NFLs ban on law abiding citizens being armed for self-defense, I really could not care less.

Tamara
02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
I thought Unsportsmanlike Conduct was already a 15yd penalty in Handegg?

jetfire
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM

And /thread

LOKNLOD
02-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Hate crimes are more unsportsmanlike than other unsportsmanlikeness?

You know, if grown men getting paid millions to be professionals are running around using racial slurs on the field -- real racial slurs, not not the rap-album terms of endearment type -- then they need to be slapped and shut down. That's just nuts. There's no place for that on the field.

Kyle Reese
02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
NF what?

Slavex
02-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I disagree, if a player can use a verbal slur, of any kind, to mess with their opponents head I say go for it.
I only say that about the NFL, NHL and NBA due to the type of sports they are, physical contact sports, same for boxing. I experienced it lots in BJJ when wrapped up with someone. They'd say stuff to try to mess with you.

ford.304
02-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Racial slurs are some of the weaker trash talk guys come up with from all reports I've read.

BaiHu
02-23-2014, 06:24 PM
NF what?

No Firearms League :-P

Probably why you don't follow it and why they get so many fines.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dropkick
02-23-2014, 06:48 PM
I disagree, if a player can use a verbal slur, of any kind, to mess with their opponents head I say go for it.
I only say that about the NFL, NHL and NBA due to the type of sports they are, physical contact sports, same for boxing. I experienced it lots in BJJ when wrapped up with someone. They'd say stuff to try to mess with you.

Whoa... saying that you think it's "ok" here, means it's "ok" there, becomes a very slippery slope.

NickA
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Man, I haven't seen a good game of Handegg since Flash Gordon retired.

Slavex
02-23-2014, 08:53 PM
I understand the slippery slope argument, but on the field, I don't see it as an issue. Outside of the field absolutely, but if you can get into a guys head by simply calling him a name, or insulting his mother, then I'm fine with that. We're talking games where controlled violence is already a part of the game, especially football and hockey, name calling, regardless of the type, should be fair game too, although I suppose not audible to the spectators would be a good limit.

Bigguy
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Can you still say stuff about somebody's sister?

John Ralston
02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Whoa... saying that you think it's "ok" here, means it's "ok" there, becomes a very slippery slope.

People are free to say whatever they want...as pointed out above, blacks use them all the time, but when a white guy says it, it all of a sudden becomes a slur. I couldn't care less if someone called me a cracker, but the liberals wouldn't call that a slur either, since I am white and whoever said it isn't.

Dropkick
02-25-2014, 06:29 PM
People are free to say whatever they want...as pointed out above, blacks use them all the time, but when a white guy says it, it all of a sudden becomes a slur. I couldn't care less if someone called me a cracker, but the liberals wouldn't call that a slur either, since I am white and whoever said it isn't.

Sure, people had the right to say whatever they want, just like anyone has the right to think they're assholes for saying whatever. I'm pretty sure it's been that way long before I was on this earth and will be long after.

But what I don't understand is how bringing politics into this has anything to do with the NFL...

Mjolnir
02-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Using racial epithets will only serve to motivate a true competitor. My goal was to win. You wish to provide more motivation? Go ahead.

It's a WEAK attempt psychological warfare. Perhaps the only time I see I affecting anyone is if you have them thoroughly beaten (or you believe you do) and time is on your side.

The stupid thing is that YOU AND YOU ALONE did not win the game and you will face that team again. It's just not smart. There are many things that can be said - and is said - knocking a person's abilities or lack of prep for the game or their PROGRAM.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."