PDA

View Full Version : Gun Nut Legal Bingo

Tamara
02-22-2014, 07:08 PM
On a tangential note, I just got done taking a nice one-day refresher class on gun laws in Hoosier land.

It was informative; I'm pretty sure that as I pore over my notes I will have learned a few new things. Lots of nice cases to go look up.

The poor lawyer had a hard time getting in all the material because of questions, as I'm sure those of you who've been to classroom-heavy classes can attest.

Shootin' Buddy and I did find a way to liven that part up, though...

Dagga Boy
02-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Forgot "racking the shotgun", otherwise about right. May want to replace the have lawyer call 911 for that one. Lawyer calling 911 is high level Internet, not regular class stuff.

Tamara
02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Forgot "racking the shotgun", otherwise about right.

See, and I was kicking myself for leaving off "Warning Shot"...

(The students who wanted to show off how smart they were were a little annoying, as the guy teaching has a good track record on 2A stuff in Hoosier courtrooms, and I'd like to have heard his war stories, not theirs. Why does somebody pay good money to go to a class to have a lawyer explain the law to them, only to constantly interrupt the guy and tell him how they think the law should be?)

Lester Polfus
02-22-2014, 07:24 PM

(The students who wanted to show off how smart they were were a little annoying, as the guy teaching has a good track record on 2A stuff in Hoosier courtrooms, and I'd like to have heard his war stories, not theirs. Why does somebody pay good money to go to a class to have a lawyer explain the law to them, only to constantly interrupt the guy and tell him how they think the law should be?)

I have been a firearms instructor, OC spray instructor, civilian self defense instructor, wilderness skills instructor and first aid instructor. There is always somebody who wants to pay me money so they can tell me what to do.

buzz_knox
02-22-2014, 08:12 PM
You need to add "Can I shoot him if he calls me a sumbich?". Heard that from a "gentleman" from Scott Co in the Gun craft carry course.

LHS
02-22-2014, 08:30 PM
My first CCW class was a frightening eye-opener for just this reason. There were a couple kids from the local community college who just kept asking "So when can I legally shoot someone?"

Tamara
02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
My first CCW class was a frightening eye-opener for just this reason. There were a couple kids from the local community college who just kept asking "So when can I legally shoot someone?"

Kathy Jackson has a good point in that there are two directions that question can be coming from.

To paraphrase her point (badly, but as best I can): One is the Mall Ninja direction, but the other one, and the one that most people forget, is that a CCW-type class is going to be filled with nice, normal folks who have been told to not go pointing guns at anybody for their whole life. For whatever reason, they have now gone and gotten a gun and a toter's permit and are seeking reassurance that, yes, sometimes it is actually okay to point the gun at a bad person and shoot them with it.

NETim
02-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I've taken a "Legal Aspects of Lethal Force" class a few times locally. Fortunately it's been a good experience each time. Not too many war stories to cope with.

This last go 'round we had a guy who was actually involved in a SD shooting. Two BG's attempted to boost a Walgreens in Omaha. One was armed with a sawed off Biden gun. Our man challenged them and the shot gunner wheeled and aimed. Good guy fires 8 shots, 5 hits, including one smack dab down the barrel of the BG's shotgun.

He was acquitted but still hasn't got his M&P back. It's been over two years. His experience with the legal system was interesting.

SeriousStudent
02-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Tell them "After you enlist, and then graduate from SOI."

jetfire
02-22-2014, 11:05 PM

For the same reason people take a shooting class from an accomplished champion and then spend the class talking about how good they are their local matches.

Dagga Boy
02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
You know what is sad, is that "if you shoot him outside, drag him into the house" is accepted as normal and didn't make the list. The scary thing is that often can go on the moronic "instructor" quote card.........double points if "he's a cop".

TR675
02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
You know what is sad, is that "if you shoot him outside, drag him into the house" is accepted as normal and didn't make the list. The scary thing is that often can go on the moronic "instructor" quote card.........double points if "he's a cop".

I heard this from a sheriff's deputy once. Couldn't believe it.

Tamara
02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
This is no word of a lie:

Shootin' Buddy and I arrived just as class was about to start. We grabbed the last two seats next to each other at the back. I looked dead ahead of me, saw the back of one guy's t-shirt that read "The Constitution Does Not Grant Rights To The People; It Restrains The Government" and scribbled "I've already spotted That Guy" on my notepad. Hence the free space in the middle of the bingo card. Sure enough, dude gets up to refill his water glass, and he's OC'ing what looks like a blued 6" L-frame in a molded nylon holster, like an Accumold.

I think every gun class archetype was represented, down to the smartass know-it-all blogger on the back row.

NETim
02-23-2014, 10:44 AM
This is no word of a lie:

Shootin' Buddy and I arrived just as class was about to start. We grabbed the last two seats next to each other at the back. I looked dead ahead of me, saw the back of one guy's t-shirt that read "The Constitution Does Not Grant Rights To The People; It Restrains The Government" and scribbled "I've already spotted That Guy" on my notepad. Hence the free space in the middle of the bingo card. Sure enough, dude gets up to refill his water glass, and he's OC'ing what looks like a blued 6" L-frame in a molded nylon holster, like an Accumold.

I think every gun class archetype was represented, down to the smartass know-it-all blogger on the back row.

They're the worst. :)

Chris Rhines
02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
I looked dead ahead of me, saw the back of one guy's t-shirt that read "The Constitution Does Not Grant Rights To The People; It Restrains The Government" and scribbled "I've already spotted That Guy" on my notepad. Hence the free space in the middle of the bingo card.

You always get That Guy as a free space, because every class has That Guy. If you are at gun school and you can't see That Guy, then That Guy is you. :D

Tamara
02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
You always get That Guy as a free space, because every class has That Guy. If you are at gun school and you can't see That Guy, then That Guy is you. :D

Quoted for truth. (And discussed during lunch at Steak 'n' Shake, as a matter of fact. :D )

Lester Polfus
02-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Hasn't CSI Springfield or CSI Fargo done an episode where the clever and photogenic cast figure out that scheme in 42 minutes?

jlw
02-24-2014, 12:57 AM
I went in search of a cure for That Guy Syndrome, and recently I was exposed to the King of the That Guy Tribe. Hopefully, I have now developed enough antibodies that I will be able to fight of serious relapses. Maybe I will soon be able to author a 12 step self help program for others seeking a cure.

LHS
02-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Kathy Jackson has a good point in that there are two directions that question can be coming from.

To paraphrase her point (badly, but as best I can): One is the Mall Ninja direction, but the other one, and the one that most people forget, is that a CCW-type class is going to be filled with nice, normal folks who have been told to not go pointing guns at anybody for their whole life. For whatever reason, they have now gone and gotten a gun and a toter's permit and are seeking reassurance that, yes, sometimes it is actually okay to point the gun at a bad person and shoot them with it.

These were, sadly, the former. The apparent ringleader of the little troupe was OCing a stainless knock-off 1911 in a cheap leather shoulder holster, and it was plain to see he saw it as portable self-esteem. I think every CCW class should cover George Zimmerman and Harold Fish, just to try and put things into perspective.