PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Release Bite Assistance

SmokeJumper
06-14-2011, 07:34 PM
On a recent range session,I put a good number of rounds through my S&W J-Frame and qualified with it as my BUG. But, every time I shoot that little gun for great lengths of time, I eventually get some bite on my strong hand thumb (right hand shooter) getting smashed up into the cylinder release from recoil. Weak hand shooting, one or two hands is no issue. With my regular two hand grip, I try to keep my right thumb in tight and under my left hand, but invariably it will get chewed up a bit.
I may have to wear some tape on my thumb for range sessions in the future as a preventative measure. Any suggestions? Thanks

Rverdi
06-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I took mine off, screwed it to my bench and knocked the edges off with a file. It looks crappy, but helps a lot.

ACP230
06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
I get bitten by my M38 but not by my heavier, stainless M649s.
If I remember I try to put my thumb lower on the gun when shooting the airweight.
I have thought about putting an old-style flat latch on the M38. Don't know if it would help or not.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I too had this happen with one of my newer vintage Airweights. It had never been an issue for me with my older model revolvers. So, I just ordered the, "OLD," style cylinder release from Brownells, and it's no longer an issue. I think Smith and SDM both make them.

David Armstrong
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Since you say the problem only develops after shooting for great lengths of time, I don't know if I see much need to do anything. For range use, where you are shooting it a lot, maybe a piece of tape or something. But it would not be an issue under actual defensive situations.

SmokeJumper
06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
The old style cylinder release sounds like an alternative option, I'll check them out-Thanks.