PDA

View Full Version : Apex J-Frame Parts

Rack
02-21-2014, 01:29 AM
Are the parts to improve trigger pull drop-in, or do they require fitting? Anyone tried them? Are they considered reliable?

What kind of triiger pull do you end up with? Surely better than the seemingly 20 lbs. pull from the factory?

And last question - would it be better to just have a trigger job done by a smith? Any suggestions on a smith?

Thanks, much.

hossb7
02-21-2014, 02:08 AM
From the Apex page on J-frame parts: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html

The J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit is the next evolution of drop in parts from ATS, Inc. Installation of this kit reduces the trigger pull weight of your center fire J-Frame Smith & Wesson Revolver from over 12 lbs to 9lbs. Remove the factory parts and install the J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit

Having shot my friend's 642 before and after installation I can say it's worlds apart. The pull after the kit is incredibly smooth.

warpedcamshaft
02-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I've got a 442 no lock with apex parts.

I've put about 1500 rounds through this combination, and I am a pretty big fan of the Apex kit. I have had light strikes with fiochi ammunition, but everything else I have tried seems to work well.

I also stoned the internals and polished the trigger. This is my favorite pistol to dry fire for trigger control practice with the Crimson Trace laser.

rob_s
02-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Thanks for reminding me, I have one of these kits somewhere I need to install, along with a lock cover or some such.

TR675
02-21-2014, 10:13 AM
The Apex kit really helps the trigger pull. Watch the videos for installation tips. You're going to need a vise to install it; I had a buddy nearby with a second set of hands and that was very helpful too.

No issues with mine so far, with the caveat that I don't shoot a huge number of rounds through it.

PensFan
02-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Personally I just bought the Brownells/Wolff spring kit (080-665-200WB
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/multiple-spring-kits/swj-200-pro-spring-kit-for-s-w-j-frame-revolver-prod26248.aspx) and am very happy with that. Cheaper than the Apex kit and does the same thing.

shootist26
02-21-2014, 02:58 PM
I have 1500 rounds through a 642 with apex trigger. 0 issues to report. It has been completely reliable. Installation was dirt simple, even for somebody like me who has never even seen the internals of a revolver before. I just followed the youtube video.

I typically shoot Federal American Eagle, Blazer, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington UMC.

jetfire
02-21-2014, 04:36 PM
I also roll the Apex kit on my 642. The stock trigger on the Pro Series 642 wasn't terrible, but the Apex kit makes it a lot better. The one complaint I'd have is that the reset is now less energetic than I'd like on the 642, but that's a personal preference.

ST911
02-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I have the Apex duty/carry kit in several of my J frames and have installed them in the guns of others. They are as advertised. They drop in easily, lower the trigger weight, smooth it out a bit, and shooters like them. A very early kit had issues with CCI and Winchester primers, which was resolved with a production tweak. Thereafter, the several kits I have are reliable with any ammunition I use. One in my 642 has ~2k rounds on it or so. Last fall, the kit installed in a 442 failed when the FP tip broke off. The replacement kit Apex promptly sent has been spotty with Winchester primers. The others remain fine.

It's one of very few aftermarket "improvements" that actually is. As with any such thing, verify function before meaningful uses.

jh9
02-21-2014, 06:13 PM
As with any such thing, verify function before meaningful uses.

Especially with revolvers and spring kits. Apex makes a great set of parts, but I have a S&W 686 that will not work with any "factory equivalent" Type-I Wolff unit. This counts the older black steel Type-I springs, and each of various revisions of the gray coated thicker material Type-I springs Wolff has tried over the last 5-6(?) years. Before I gave up I tried a total of I think 4 Wolff "factory equivalent" springs in the gun. Every one of them different. No dice. Nothing but the factory springs will light off CCI primers. Hell some wouldn't light of Winchester primers. Meanwhile, the other S&W L/N revolvers I have with Wolff springs work fine.

J-frames are notoriously picky when compared to K/L/Ns.

Regardless of what the mfg says, always always always test it with more than a few rounds of hard primers. It'll probably work, but until you got a hundred or so rounds with CCI primers that may or may not have been fully seated you won't know.

These guns don't ship with heavy springs because someone at S&W is rubbing their nipples every time someone struggles with a 15lb action. Most can work reliably with lighter springs...but not all. You need to figure out what you've got before you go poking the fate bear.

SeriousStudent
02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I think I have about 1200 rounds through my 642 since the Apex parts were put in - I'd have to go check my logbooks to verify the exact number. Like warpedcamshaft, I lightly stoned the internal parts as suggested in the video.

It did make a great deal of difference to me, regarded perceived trigger weight. It's well worth the 30 bucks or so that the kit costs, in my eyes.

I have a SIRT, and along with my DAO revolvers, the dry practice sessions have definitely improved my shooting.

psalms144.1
02-21-2014, 08:37 PM
I honestly can't tell you how many rounds I've put through my no-lock 642 since installing the Apex kit, but I can tell you that every one of those rounds have gone "bang" with a single trigger pull. WRT installation, it really isn't hard, BUT, if you're a knuckle head like me, it's best to order up a couple of spares for the TINY springs inside the J-frame that are (a) easy to lose and (b) easy to jack up with ham-fisted handling...

Regards,

Kevin

Rack
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks to everyone for the good feedback. It sounds like it's certainly worthwhile.

Trukinjp13
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
The apex kit was easy to install and works perfect everytime. Well worth the money.

Trukinjp13
02-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Just make sure you use a high quality flat blade that fits the side plate screws. Give the side plate a tap or two to take off, no need to pry. Also, probably has been said but youtube apex j-frame kit and that will help out too.

SPDGG
02-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Youtube APEX Tactical S&W J Frame Videos:

Disassembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUfmg1JulE

Reassembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrz7SSbpAk

dookie1481
02-23-2014, 12:40 PM
The Apex kit really helps the trigger pull. Watch the videos for installation tips. You're going to need a vise to install it; I had a buddy nearby with a second set of hands and that was very helpful too.

No issues with mine so far, with the caveat that I don't shoot a huge number of rounds through it.

I did it while watching the video on my computer. No vice necessary.

TR675
02-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok, "vice helpful" then.