PDA

View Full Version : Tell this lady...

Wheeler
02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
...that her High Point is a piece of junk.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/02/116298-watch-heat-packing-mom-makes-home-invaders-turn-around-soon-enter/

Kyle Reese
02-19-2014, 09:40 PM

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/02/116298-watch-heat-packing-mom-makes-home-invaders-turn-around-soon-enter/

Rule #1 - Have a gun.

Good job on the mom's part.

Chuck Haggard
02-19-2014, 10:02 PM
The HighPoint carbines are shockingly reliable in my limited experience.

LSP972
02-19-2014, 10:35 PM
"They (the po-lice) handled it (found the idiots and arrested them) the same night."

Lots of information in that statement; which speaks volumes about the situation in that place. But we knew already, didn't we? Glad the gal was ready; too bad her marksmanship wasn't a bit better.

But we are educated by the third thug. Two showed good judgement (c'mon feets, don't fail me now!), but the third dropped his roscoe, picked it up and went back in. This is significant. A lot of people, some of whom should know better, are quick to say that once the bullets start flying your average street punk is gonna beat feet immediately.

Well… maybe.

And those who are quick to delegate your basic Hi-Point, whether pistol or carbine, to the junk pile again display their lack of knowledge. I shoot anywhere up to a half-dozen or more of those things per WEEK. Mainly C9s and CF380s, but more than a few JH .40s and .45s. Yes, they are made of pot metal, have the precise tolerances of a Conestoga wagon, and are heavy as hell and twice as clumsy. But… given a modicum of care and good ammunition, they WORK.

Period.

Malamute
02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
And those who are quick to delegate your basic Hi-Point, whether pistol or carbine, to the junk pile again display their lack of knowledge.... But… given a modicum of care and good ammunition, they WORK.

Period.

Hard to argue with success.

Under the circumstances, I'd imagine that lady feels her gun is about priceless. I don't feel any inclination to denigrate her choice.

Casual Friday
02-19-2014, 11:29 PM
And those who are quick to delegate your basic Hi-Point, whether pistol or carbine, to the junk pile again display their lack of knowledge. I shoot anywhere up to a half-dozen or more of those things per WEEK. Mainly C9s and CF380s, but more than a few JH .40s and .45s. Yes, they are made of pot metal, have the precise tolerances of a Conestoga wagon, and are heavy as hell and twice as clumsy. But… given a modicum of care and good ammunition, they WORK.

Period.

I agree. A forum member and coworker of mine has a Hi Point C9 that he's had for years that's been dead nuts reliable. I shot it once, and couldn't hate it. I would take a Hi Point over a Taurus semi auto any day of the week.

LSP972
02-20-2014, 06:30 AM
I would take a Hi Point over a Taurus semi auto any day of the week.

Dunno if I'd go THAT far… some Tauri actually work...:D

The early, all-metal Hi-Point Model C 9mm pistols were actually a bit more finely finished/fitted. The sheriff's office I worked at after retiring from State Police has one that is used to shame non-shooting deputies. It will hold a four inch group at 25 yards from the barricade.

But then there is the one I did the breech face "test" on. Basically, I shot 500 rounds through one. The gun is a straight blow-back and has a fixed barrel. The test, which was written up and published by our section head in the AFTE Journal, consisted of 100 rounds fired through each of five different slides. The purpose was to determine how/if breech face markings can change as a pistol is used, and if so does it change the odds of making a positive ID? Standard AE 9mm ball was used.

My point here is, at the end of that 500 rounds through the same barrel, the bore was basically smooth. We were not concerned with bullets on this particular exercise, but on the scope there was not enough GRC detail to make a positive match on the 501st bullet. I would have liked to shoot it at distance, but didn't get the opportunity before we had to send it back to Tom.

OTOH, that afore-mentioned all-metal one I am familiar with has had much more than 500 rounds through it, still has rifling, and is still reasonably accurate. Bottom line… nobody with any sense will claim that these things are high-quality firearms. But as Tom told us, his purpose in producing them (aside from making money, of course) is "because poor people deserve to afford a gun too."

In that, he has succeeded.

Casual Friday
02-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Dunno if I'd go THAT far… some Tauri actually work...:D

Your experience which is far greater than mine has brought you to that conclusion, but my experience, limited and such, has brought me to mine. When I worked at a big box store, we never had a single Hi Point come back to us to send in for warranty repair, but too many Tauri to count went back to be fixed.

But as Tom told us, his purpose in producing them (aside from making money, of course) is "because poor people deserve to afford a gun too."

In that, he has succeeded.

Good for him.

Tamara
02-20-2014, 07:34 AM
I once owned a Hi-Point that had the rather unique property not cycling with FMJ but feeding PMC Starfire JHP okay.

TCinVA
02-20-2014, 08:12 AM
My Hi-Point pistol is lucky to make it through a magazine without a stoppage...goes the same for the other samples I've fired.

...but as I said when I did the 2,000 round test, give me a choice between a Hi-Point and harsh language and I'd pick the Hi-Point because bad guys rarely pause to ponder exactly what weapon you're shooting at them with.

This incident also goes to the capacity argument. She was confronted by multiple home invaders, which isn't terribly uncommon. She opened fire. In a panic, all three exited the home fast...but one apparently had second thoughts just outside her door. It took more bullets to help him make the decision to get out of dodge. Good thing she had more bullets readily available.

KeeFus
02-20-2014, 09:07 AM
In comparison to other pistolas the Hi-Point, Jennings, etc guns suck. I wouldn't own one, however I've seen a lot of folks shot with a Hi-Point, Jennings, etc. Sure, most if not all of them were felons and shouldn't have had one to begin with but when you are in Rome you dress like the Romans...or at least act like one...and the Hi-Point in this case filled the void.

GardoneVT
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
I can see the Hi Point being a great choice, if one lives in a jurisdiction unfriendly to gun owners. I'd rather lose an ugly Hi Point carbine to the evidence locker then a $1500 AR with all the tactical trimmings.

JV_
02-20-2014, 09:59 AM
I doubt her choice was a Hi Point or DD M4, it was probably that or nothing. I'd rather have the Hi Point than nothing.

orionz06
02-20-2014, 10:16 AM
The carbines have generally been ok. Turning their carbine action into a pistol creates the problems we see over and over.

LSP972
02-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Actually, the pistols "came first".

Most of the malfunctions we see here in the lab are either magazine-related (they are quite flimsy), or due to the natives using chicken grease for lube.

Mr_White
02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I think my Hi-Point 995 has a better trigger than my Kel-Tec Sub-2000. The Kel-Tec is better overall, but not the trigger.

KeeFus
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi-Point 995 for sale on a local forum...any takers? Lol.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/threads/163375-WTS-Hi-Point-995-in-ATI-stock-w-mags-red-dot-and-Ar-style-sights-300

Tamara
02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I think my Hi-Point 995 has a better trigger than my Kel-Tec Sub-2000.

Talk about being the tallest midget at the county fair. ;)

orionz06
02-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Actually, the pistols "came first".

Most of the malfunctions we see here in the lab are either magazine-related (they are quite flimsy), or due to the natives using chicken grease for lube.

Correct, my intent was to point out that they're using a predominantly rifle or subgun sized, not pistol sized.

hufnagel
02-20-2014, 06:53 PM
My Hi-Point pistol is lucky to make it through a magazine without a stoppage...goes the same for the other samples I've fired.

...but as I said when I did the 2,000 round test, give me a choice between a Hi-Point and harsh language and I'd pick the Hi-Point because bad guys rarely pause to ponder exactly what weapon you're shooting at them with.

This incident also goes to the capacity argument. She was confronted by multiple home invaders, which isn't terribly uncommon. She opened fire. In a panic, all three exited the home fast...but one apparently had second thoughts just outside her door. It took more bullets to help him make the decision to get out of dodge. Good thing she had more bullets readily available.

What the links to that review. I want a trip down hiliarity lane.

trailrunner
02-20-2014, 06:58 PM

My friend has that gun, and I shot it the other night. Not the most ergonomic thing I've ever held, but I admit that it worked flawlessly.

Wheeler
02-20-2014, 09:00 PM

I counted three shots fired on the audio, possibly a fourth during the voice over.

Don't the High Point carbines use S&W 59 series magazines?

Suvorov
02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Don't the High Point carbines use S&W 59 series magazines?

That's the Marlin Camp 9.

peterb
02-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Recent carbine test: http://www.ambulancedriverfiles.com/2014/02/05/gun-review-hi-point-995ts-carbine/

TCinVA
02-21-2014, 08:59 AM
What the links to that review. I want a trip down hiliarity lane.

The blog writeups were eaten by hackers...but we had a thread about it here:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5192-Hi-Point-Test