PDA

View Full Version : AAR - Alpha Dog Tactical - Basic Tactical Pistol San Jose, CA Feb. 15, 2014

hossb7
02-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Weather:
48 - 62 with some wind.

Guns/Gear:
There was an interesting assortment of guns and holsters. The class was populated with mostly Glocks (the 19 and 34 being the most common), a handful of XDs (which I was surprised at seeing), three 1911s (including one Les Baer that seemed to be continually problematic; which may have been attributed to user error), one FNX 45 and my M&P 9mm. The class called for 500 rounds, but I only shot about half that.

I bought my M&P almost a year ago exactly and have put about 2,000 rounds through it thus far. Modifications include: APEX duty/carry kit, polymer AEK trigger, RAM, failure-resistant extractor, Heinie Straight-8 sights and removal of magazine disconnect. This was the first class in which I've shot the M&P and first time running it extensively since the installation of the APEX parts. I used PMC 115gr FMJ ammo. Everything worked just fine.

I saw some holsters that have no business being in a training class, the Serpa holster for one (this is my personal opinion but it is shared by many trainers and many schools), also there was a nylon thigh holster monstrosity. If you're using that gear, be able to articulate the WHY as well as be able to run it correctly.

The Class:
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey".

These words spoken by Jeff Patane echoed throughout the class and they ring true for me now as I sit back and reflect. As corny as they might sound, they're 100% true. We all know where we want to be. Perhaps it's a sub-1.5 second draw to an A-zone hit. Perhaps it's .25 second splits between shots. Or a clean sight picture every single time. Or maybe it's that perfect trigger press and surprise break. However, HOW we get to that point can vary greatly. Because of this, you need to practice. And more importantly, practice correctly.

From his website: Jeff is a tactical firearms trainer with over 30 years of shooting experience. His background includes over 15 years in law enforcement, where he works in the Patrol division as a Reserve Officer. Jeff currently holds Firearms Instructor certifications from POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) and the NRA.

Jeff is big on getting the most bang for your buck (no pun intended). I really liked the emphasis he placed on "one more perfect repetition" when clearing the weapon before holstering. Because it takes so much to commit something to muscle memory, the opportunity to squeeze in one more press can go a long way. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

The "one more press" translated nicely into the dry fire segments of the class. I, like most shooters, don't dry fire as much as we should. The class was split into two relays and while group 1 was on the line shooting, group 2 was working on dry-fire drills and other tasks such as malfunction clearing or drawing our weapon with only one hand.

While the dry-fire segment(s) were a good part of the class, I think they need more structure. Sometimes cramming as many variations as possible into one repetition isn't the best: If you want to focus on the press out and a clean trigger pull, only do that. If you want to work on type 3 malfunction clearing, only do that. I think some shooters were getting confused/frustrated when told to clear a type 1/type 2 malfunction, then execute a speed reload, then a reload with retention, then "simulate" a type 3 malfunction (without actually setting it up...because that "takes too long"). If you're going to teach it, teach it. But don't simulate something half-assed when it can be done for real. Just my observations. We train for the worse but hope for the best - remember the journey, not the destination.

Being that it was a one day class, there are limitations to what can be covered. Some topics discussed include grip, sight picture, trigger control, and follow through. Also discussed were stance, weapon presentation/holstering and trigger prep. I liked that Jeff emphasized getting the gun back into the holster is not a race. If you've drawn your gun it was for a reason and putting it away isn't about speed. In another class I attended I witnessed a shooter holster with a zipper-pull catch in their trigger guard. They were stopped before anything happened but it's a reminder to make sure nothing interferes with the trigger while holstering. This also speaks to IWB-Appendix carry holsters. I have no knocks against those who choose to do it, but if the firearm discharges while holstering, your BEST case scenario is to blow your junk off. Worst case would be the bullet hits your femoral artery and you bleed out. No bueno. Take your time holstering (and if you have to take a quick glance, do it. BFD).

Jeff spoke for a few minutes about prepping the trigger. On a double/single action pistol it's crucial, but can (and still should) be done on striker fired or single action pistols. When pressing out to extension, you take up the slack and start to feel that "wall" of pressure. Eventually the trigger is pressing into the tissues/fat on the pad of your finger. It gave me a good mental picture to visualize what I was doing and how to do it properly. Knowing your own trigger is the most important for this. When you know your gun well enough you know how much pressure it takes to break a shot and can time it so it happens at full extension (with proper sight picture/sight alignment).

This leads me to fine motor skills vs. gross motor skills. I chalk this discussion up to the "9mm vs. .45ACP" or "AR-15 vs. AK-47" discussions: they're all long winded debates. The short answer I have is: you can train around it.

It's true that some of our abilities can degrade under stress but if I'm expected to release the magazine with a fine motor movement, or press the trigger to the rear (including prepping it against the wall, as discussed above) with a fine motor movement, then I should certainly be able to release the slide using the appropriate controls. Personally, I've put myself against a shot timer and found that I can consistently draw, fire, reload, and fire again faster using the slide release vs. over-hand slingshot.

Speaking of shot timers, I was surprised that Jeff didn't use one. They're very easy to use and excellent for specific drills. The timer never lies and it's good to use known time metrics (Bill Drill, F.A.S.T., etc etc) so that you can show students improvement over a day's worth of work. For example, if I'm shooting a cold Bill Drill and get 8 seconds, then at the end of the day shoot one in 6.5 seconds, that's good improvement.

Most drills were conducted at 5-7 yards, I would have preferred to do some walk back drills or possibly work back slowly throughout the day but I think the skills of most shooters were the limiting factors. We worked slowly, starting from a low-ready position then moving to presenting from the holster, then presenting from concealment. Once everyone was at that level, the class was drawing from concealment for the remainder of the day.

We took two ~20 minute breaks during the day for Jeff to lecture on the OODA loop, the "color code of awareness" as well as the legalities of using deadly force. The OODA loop and color codes are not new for me but it's good to hear it taught in classes. I really enjoyed the lecture on the legality of using deadly force as well as what to prepare for. MOST shooting classes talk about making that one perfect shot, but what happens after the shot? Jeff provided some good information and insight on what you should expect.

Lastly, I would strongly encourage Jeff and/or Alpha Dog Tactical to invest in a blue/orange/dummy gun for all demonstrations involving the gun - grip, stance, sight alignment, follow through, etc. There's no reason to have to clear a real gun and use that as a demo especially when a blue gun will cost you $30 and is worlds safer.

As touched on earlier, given the limitations of a 1-day class (which include trying to fit too much in the schedule) I think Jeff and Alpha Dog Tactical did a very good job. I don't have experience with planning a class curriculum, but based on the skill level of most of the shooters I think that the lateral movement drills (including lateral movement and shooting with the "other strong hand") should have been removed and instead spent time doing static drills with the "OSH" and building confidence.

I drove about 2 hours to attend the class, but if I lived closer I would look into signing up for additional classes. The cost is very attractive and I think students get a solid level of instruction. I would readily recommend Jeff and Alpha Dog Tactical to anyone looking to get good firearm training in the Bay Area.

HopetonBrown
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
I've shot with Patane a few times at his Defensive Shooting Club at Metcalf. XD's, Serpas and nylon holsters are usually par for the course for intro/beginner shooting classes, so I'm not surprised. There's always quite a few at DSC; a lot of new shooters.

Al T.
02-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the AAR!