PDA

View Full Version : H58 Reticle

Grizzly21
02-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this reticle? I need the H58 for Dummies user guide. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

SamuelBLong
02-18-2014, 11:47 PM
What do you want to know?

Start Here:

http://horusvision.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/how-to-use-the-h58-reticle-by-todd-hodnett/

SecondsCount
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Have you already purchased a scope with one or are you just looking? There are a couple guys I shoot with that are big fans but I find them to be too busy for my style of shooting. That being said, the concept is solid. The less cranking of knobs, the better.

DocGKR
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Great reticle for long range shooting.

Not needed and possibly counterproductive for typical LE shots under 300.

KevinB
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Great reticle for long range shooting.

Not needed and possibly counterproductive for typical LE shots under 300.

H27D ;)

Honestly for LE usage - I think David Tubb's reticle is probably best - onboard LRF and your set.

I run a H58 in a Leupold Mk6 3-18x works well for Medium Long ranges - sucks major ass inside 300 as the Doc said (I wanted a H58D, but I was outvoted...)
H37 is a much better LR reticle (but more annoying that F^&$ to get used to)

JMS
02-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Yep, lots of folks find them to be busy. From the standpoint of raw target observation, those that don't like having subtensions in the way gripe about only being able to use the upper half of the FOV.

To somebody from the Light Armored Reconnaissance community (or similar), who came up using the stadiametric sight system used of a chain gun or whatnot, using a reticle like that is like going home again -- though more the H37 than the H58; the principle is the same. One got used to looking at stadia for the purposes of aiming, then looking through them for the purposes of noting the strike of rounds and note the POI in relation to the stadia grid.

POI on the first opportunity to fire, if a miss, became the POA on the next opportunity to fire, so long as one notes the initial POI in relation to the handy-dandy grid.

That makes it fairly intuitive to use by somebody that wants to use holds instead of cranking on knobs, in particular....provided that all the extra lines don't force a form of Analysis Paralysis; it can happen...though cranking on knobs may cetainly still be done.

KevinB
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
It takes some time to get use to, but once you have got some time on the Mil/Grid reticles they are a much better solution.

Rigoberto
02-26-2014, 05:34 AM
the long guns are the sufficient for the firing but some of them are really heavy in weight.

45dotACP
03-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Yep, lots of folks find them to be busy. From the standpoint of raw target observation, those that don't like having subtensions in the way gripe about only being able to use the upper half of the FOV.

To somebody from the Light Armored Reconnaissance community (or similar), who came up using the stadiametric sight system used of a chain gun or whatnot, using a reticle like that is like going home again -- though more the H37 than the H58; the principle is the same. One got used to looking at stadia for the purposes of aiming, then looking through them for the purposes of noting the strike of rounds and note the POI in relation to the stadia grid.

POI on the first opportunity to fire, if a miss, became the POA on the next opportunity to fire, so long as one notes the initial POI in relation to the handy-dandy grid.

That makes it fairly intuitive to use by somebody that wants to use holds instead of cranking on knobs, in particular....provided that all the extra lines don't force a form of Analysis Paralysis; it can happen...though cranking on knobs may cetainly still be done.

I sort of like cranking knobs, but that's just because I feel awesome when I actually connect with a shot I "dialed in".

I digress before I begin. I've also heard that the H58 reticle has the advantage in a situation when two guys who are shooting identical rifles with the same zero hold on the same target. The first one fires a shot, the second one notes impact and provides the stadia needed to be on target for round #2, or just take the shot himself. Nifty idea, and certainly seems to make the spotter's job easier. But I'm not a tactical operator. Neither am I the type of hunter that takes a phenomonal 800 yard shot on game. Duplex and a rangefinder has always been my thing. That said, it interests me for reasons that include the words "prarie dog".

Odin Bravo One
03-02-2014, 02:05 AM
I like the concept.

But old dog, hard to learn new tricks. I have a BE with the H58 on a .308 AR, and I can get it done, but I don't shoot that rifle and scope enough to be truly proficient with it. I have to think through things a little slower than if I am using an NP-R1 or Mil-Dot. But that is a training/practice issue really.

For an urban environment, I see the appeal........it's all snaps and movers, and dialing is probably not gonna happen unless everyone involved stays in one spot. Taking out mental math, KY windage, and SWAGs does up the hit ratio.