PDA

View Full Version : Reading JRC's 'Crazy Morning' made me think about something that happened today....

BaiHu
02-18-2014, 09:26 PM
I smelled gas today, so I checked all of the places where that could come from, checked pilot lights, etc. Living in a condo/townhouse set up, I checked on a couple of neighbors and no one else had gas in their house other than one guy who said he smelled some too at some point, but then it subsided. The only person I couldn't rouse was my 80 year old neighbor. I called, but I got his answering machine. Then I called PSE&G.

They found nothing in my unit, but he could smell it coming into my unit from outside. Then my 80 yr old neighbor came home and it turned out he didn't turn the gas off correctly. It was on for so long that I smelled it outside his door with it closed. Needless to say he couldn't smell it and thank god he didn't come home to cook something. He was very thankful, but we were even more thankful.

Now that the long story is over, here's my question/concern:

1. If I wasn't uncharacteristically home today, what could I have done to protect my dog?

In retrospect, my dog was quite whiny by the downstairs doorway, which is nearest his unit. He knew where it was coming from, I could only tell that it was present.