PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit + Shooting = What?

zRxz
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1761808447371&oid=167897666591738&comments

SecondsCount
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
You should see him run the FAST drill. ;)

smells like feet
06-14-2011, 01:06 AM
I am confused...how can it be crossfit if no one is wearing vibram 5 finger shoes and underarmour t shirts?

Slavex
06-14-2011, 05:14 AM
sick fuck. but then again I'd like to be able to jump up onto a 45 gallon barrel too. hmmm

Frank D.
06-14-2011, 07:11 AM
sick fuck. but then again I'd like to be able to jump up onto a 45 gallon barrel too. hmmm

that was pretty badass. he just needed to scream 'Cover?! Cover?! I don't need not stinking cover! Ahhhhhhhh.'

JM Campbell
06-14-2011, 08:08 AM
'Cover?! Cover?! I don't need not stinking cover! Ahhhhhhhh.'

Now that's a friggin sig line if I ever saw one.

Thanks for the laugh this morning gents.

DonovanM
06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
that was pretty badass. he just needed to scream 'Cover?! Cover?! I don't need not stinking cover! Ahhhhhhhh.'

LOL!

Good find :D

JV_
06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
It's nice to see (hear) a shooting related that doesn't have heavy metal music.

John Ralston
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I was waiting for someone to shoot themselves in the face during the upside down crunches.

Frank D.
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
That was very cool. Makes my rip open a bag of Doritos workout seem pitiful by comparison.

'Bowls?! Bowls?! I don't need no stinkin bowls!'
:D

I'll stop now, promise.

Mitchell, Esq.
06-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I am confused...how can it be crossfit if no one is wearing vibram 5 finger shoes and underarmour t shirts?

It was dress down day at the range.

karmapolice
06-15-2011, 05:27 AM
uhh yeah :rolleyes:, now I can imagine some guys trying that and shooting themselves, or at least crushing their friends foot with a kettle bell.

Ga Shooter
06-15-2011, 05:49 AM
I was waiting for someone to shoot themselves in the face during the upside down crunches.

It did look like to me that he was sweeping his forehead when crunching. If he doesn't someone else trying it will but they will look good in the casket!

ToddG
06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
It did look like to me that he was sweeping his forehead when crunching. If he doesn't someone else trying it will but they will look good in the casket!

I watched that segment a couple of times and to me it didn't look like he ever pointed a gun at himself.

We do all sorts of things on the range that would be dangerous if idiots tried them, especially idiots who didn't have the skill and ability and understanding of safety protocols to do them properly and safely.

Odin Bravo One
06-15-2011, 10:27 AM
While I don't plan on rushing out and incorporating my Crossfit WOD into a range day, it really isn't much more than a spin off of routinely run "Stress Courses" of fire that are designed to get the blood pumping and induce some level of muscular fatigue and oxygen debt prior to, and while engaging targets. Most everyone can stand toe to toe with a large paper target and hit the intended target with enough practice of the fundamentals. But how many of us get out and train for the worst case scenario? Such as a LEO having to engage a lethal threat after a mile foot pursuit, jumping over fences, running, etc? How many of us train to engage with gunfire after having to break free from a grappling match in a parking lot? Anyone who has ever been in a wrestling match knows how tiring that can make you in very short order.

May be somewhat unconventional, or misunderstood by many, but incorporating physically demanding activities in with some shooting drills will give you a bit of a reality check of what you are capable of doing under stress. I probably won't include box jumps, or other exercises that have a risk to reward ratio that is higher than I am willing to accept, but sprints, 8 count body builders, push-ups, tire pulls, etc are a great way to get a good sweat rolling, then shoot some of the "test" drills for a score. I'd be willing to bet that there would not be very many Sub-7.0 second FAST scores.

jbmilitary006
06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Sean M, couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree, I don't merge my WOD and range time together but there are times I will do my WOD and go straight to the range. Since my range is the back yard and I do CF at home sometimes I will set up a scenario and as soon as I finish my last rep go shoot. When your gasping for air, vision is blurred and muscle fatigued to the max its a real eye opener for what you can actually shoot.

karmapolice
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree all parties doing it were safe and at the level to do something like they did. My concern is people not at that level of physical fitness and or shooting skill attempting it. Incorporating stress mental and physical is definitely important in any training.

WDW
06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I was wanting to sign up for AFHF soon and I was wondering, should I bring my own kettlebells or does Todd provide those:confused::confused:

Ga Shooter
06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I agree all parties doing it were safe and at the level to do something like they did. My concern is people not at that level of physical fitness and or shooting skill attempting it. Incorporating stress mental and physical is definitely important in any training.

This was the point I was trying to make. Internet video seems to increase the chance of unskilled/untrained people getting waaaaay ahead of themselves. I personally think the guy is in great shape and it is pretty cool to incorporate the workout with the practice session for the reasons mentioned already.

Todd, I rewatched the video and I think you are right he does not sweep his head.

ToddG
06-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I was wanting to sign up for AFHF soon and I was wondering, should I bring my own kettlebells or does Todd provide those:confused::confused:

My idea of a kettlebell is the thing that whistles when the tea is ready...

Josh Runkle
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I felt like I was watching a Spetsnaz recruiting video. :D

Fly320s
06-20-2011, 10:02 AM
My concern is people not at that level of physical fitness and or shooting skill attempting it.

You can't stop the stupid.

There are plenty of videos of very skilled people performing "cool" acts, such as wheelies on motorcycles, car drifting, BASE jumping, etc. Most people are smart enough to realize they can't copy the act without lots of training and practice. The stupid people will attempt it no matter who tells them not to try it.

Rob Pincus
06-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, thanks for checking out the video... It was done primarily as a "fun" thing and as a promotion for my CrossFit gym in Ohio.

Glad most of you guys "got it" and noted that we didn't do anything inherently unsafe, given the skill level of participants.

Train Well!

-Rob

vmi-mo
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I am a big fan of incorporating physical exertion into shooting. It is quite impressive to see how quickly people fail when they are physically pushed.

Another positive of it is it gives you a chance to really shake out and stress test your gear to see how streamlined and form fitting it really is.

One of my home brewed methods for this is what I call the 18 hole sprint. Set up is two VTAC barricades about 15m apart. You proceed to run a 9 hole drill making one hit through one hole, running to the next barricade shooting the same hole then running back again. Its usually a pretty good ball buster.

PJ

SLG
06-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I am a big fan of incorporating physical exertion into shooting. It is quite impressive to see how quickly people fail when they are physically pushed.

Another positive of it is it gives you a chance to really shake out and stress test your gear to see how streamlined and form fitting it really is.

One of my home brewed methods for this is what I call the 18 hole sprint. Set up is two VTAC barricades about 15m apart. You proceed to run a 9 hole drill making one hit through one hole, running to the next barricade shooting the same hole then running back again. Its usually a pretty good ball buster.

PJ

Mid-South has an excellent, large scale version of your 18 hole drill. Takes right about a basic load of carbine mags, and if I remember my last time through it, about 8 mins of sheer effort. Definitely wrings you and your gear out.

markp
08-25-2011, 01:57 AM
While I don't plan on rushing out and incorporating my Crossfit WOD into a range day, it really isn't much more than a spin off of routinely run "Stress Courses" of fire that are designed to get the blood pumping and induce some level of muscular fatigue and oxygen debt prior to, and while engaging targets. Most everyone can stand toe to toe with a large paper target and hit the intended target with enough practice of the fundamentals. But how many of us get out and train for the worst case scenario? Such as a LEO having to engage a lethal threat after a mile foot pursuit, jumping over fences, running, etc? How many of us train to engage with gunfire after having to break free from a grappling match in a parking lot? Anyone who has ever been in a wrestling match knows how tiring that can make you in very short order.

May be somewhat unconventional, or misunderstood by many, but incorporating physically demanding activities in with some shooting drills will give you a bit of a reality check of what you are capable of doing under stress. I probably won't include box jumps, or other exercises that have a risk to reward ratio that is higher than I am willing to accept, but sprints, 8 count body builders, push-ups, tire pulls, etc are a great way to get a good sweat rolling, then shoot some of the "test" drills for a score. I'd be willing to bet that there would not be very many Sub-7.0 second FAST scores.

Check out some of the stuff we have done in the past. Most vids are from my buddys youtube page:
some language captured during filming may not be work safe.

http://youtu.be/y_gFIBeLr_s

http://youtu.be/JMp-Y9dNLVU

http://youtu.be/mpPNoaS8kL8

i'm the skinny beerbeely in shorts

http://youtu.be/dFIlTh40IKU

more on his site : SinistralRifleman (http://www.youtube.com/user/SinistralRifleman#p/a)

and this guy is on this seasons TopShot

http://youtu.be/RyIeWniZf1M

Ga Shooter
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I think if I had to run that much went I went to the range I would want to put the gun to my head and pull the trigger.:D Very good stuff though.

HeadHunter
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
There was an A-Team that came to Rogers (http://www.rogersshootingschool.com/index.php) that did CrossFit every morning before coming to class. That didn't work out (no pun intended) so well.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I did early morning, "bootcamp," style workouts for awhile, but I would get a shake in my hands that I felt decreased my ability to perform oral surgery as effectively as possible. My glycogen stores would also be depleted and I'd be sweating and hypoglycemic by 10 AM.

So now I just run in the AM and do bootcamp at night, after work.