PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Cancels Valentine's Day

jlw
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
http://waga.images.worldnow.com/images/24709622_BG1.jpg

Last night we put this up on our Facebook page. To say that it has "gone viral" is an understatement. It has gotten a very positive/funny response locally, and the media has gone nuts over it. I've done several local interviews about it, and I about to do an interview for ABC's Diane Sawyer show over it.

Either the Sheriff or I will be on Fox news tomorrow, and BBC Radio is calling in tonight.

our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/oconeesheriff.org)

Chuck Haggard
02-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Facebook linky is broken...........

RoyGBiv
02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
You don't need to leave home to get Hershey bars (http://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Milk-Chocolate-Bar-1-Pound/dp/B004N5MDPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392321165&sr=8-3) any more, Luddites.

Lottery tickets are another story.

Let us know where to watch for you on Fox. I'm not tuning to ABC for anything other than Shark Tank (or Castle).

TheTrevor
02-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Well played.

Jason F
02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Bravo gentlemen!! :cool:

ToddG
02-13-2014, 04:07 PM
More overstepping of government authority! Obama would be proud.

</joke>

jlw
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
That should be www.facebook.com/oconeesheriff (http://www.facebook.com/oconeesheriff)

SeriousStudent
02-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Truly, there are brave lawmen in Georgia.

That is really funny, Chief! Good luck with the media.

LHS
02-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Well done!

Drang
02-14-2014, 02:09 AM
If this doesn't give us a "Like" button, nothing will.

JM Campbell
02-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Was on NPR this am...cracked me up again hearing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

jlw
02-14-2014, 10:12 AM
We just got a phone call from a man with a 517 area code (Michigan) that was furious and wanting to know who we think we are for cancelling Valentine's Day. "You're not a mayor." he said.

He wanted us to know that two feet of snow is nothing and that it happens all the time. We pointed out that it doesn't happen in Georgia all the time.

He kept on until we asked him if he realized it was a joke. Then he got mad about that.

---

The boss and I will both be on Getchen Carlson's show on Fox News today at 1445 right coast time.

ToddG
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
We just got a phone call from a man with a 517 area code (Michigan) that was furious and wanting to know who we think we are for cancelling Valentine's Day. "You're not a mayor." he said.

So he thinks the mayor can cancel a made-up holiday?

The boss and I will both be on Getchen Carlson's show on Fox News today at 1445 right coast time.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Awesome. Will watch!

LOKNLOD
02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
This was on our 10 o'clock news here in OKC last night. I wondered if it was you guys...

Well played!

justintime
02-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I tried to cancel valentines day once.... Once

Drang
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I tried to cancel valentines day once.... Once

And lived to tell the tale!

jlw
02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Some of the "fan mail" that has started coming in is hilarious. One guy is going to have the state remove us from office.

Mr_White
02-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Some of the "fan mail" that has started coming in is hilarious. One guy is going to have the state remove us from office.

Let us know when the petition is started. :p

ToddG
02-14-2014, 02:47 PM
"When I get in I'm going to cancel Valentine's Day. And I did." That's awesome.

HA! Clear and 50 degrees...

jlw
02-14-2014, 06:00 PM
"When I get in I'm going to cancel Valentine's Day. And I did." That's awesome.

HA! Clear and 50 degrees...

He's many things, but indecisive isn't one of them.

-----

Link to the FNC interview:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3203417141001/sheriff-cancels-valentines-day-due-to-weather/#sp=show-clips

LHS
02-14-2014, 09:20 PM
He's many things, but indecisive isn't one of them.

-----

Link to the FNC interview:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3203417141001/sheriff-cancels-valentines-day-due-to-weather/#sp=show-clips

Comedy gold. You've got a good Sheriff there :)

jlw
02-14-2014, 11:20 PM
.....and we just had an earthquake.

TheTrevor
02-14-2014, 11:43 PM

At this rate, you'll be on the morning news warning folks about the zombie outbreak...

LHS
02-15-2014, 12:09 AM

It's Valentine's day. Nobody can leave the house. So if this state's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

SeriousStudent
02-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Earthquakes - meh. Happens around here all the time.

As long as it doesn't start raining frogs, I still think you fellows are on the right path.

VolGrad
02-15-2014, 07:50 AM
We didn't even feel the earthquake. It was a 4.4ish. Folks starting texting me asking but we were knee deep in a rousing game of beer and trivial pursuit at the time. What's crazy though is my 10yo daughter was reading the green question below at the exact moment the first text came. The text just said, "Earthquake?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddG
02-15-2014, 08:11 AM
What's crazy though is my 10yo daughter was reading the green question below at the exact moment the first text came. The text just said, "Earthquake?"

So you're saying your daughter is either a witch or she's going to be President some day (so she can destroy a city on a whim like George Bush did when he made Hurricane Katrina to wipe out New Orleans).

Either way, please tell her I love her and will begin sending Christmas gifts every year.

VolGrad
02-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Either way, please tell her I love her and will begin sending Christmas gifts every year.

She likes ammo. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailrunner
02-15-2014, 08:23 AM
We didn't even feel the earthquake. It was a 4.4ish. Folks starting texting me asking but we were knee deep in a rousing game of beer and trivial pursuit at the time. What's crazy though is my 10yo daughter was reading the green question below at the exact moment the first text came. The text just said, "Earthquake?"

That's a freaky coincidence.

I grew up in southern CA and lived through a couple of earthquakes. They're not fun. A couple of summers ago, we had one here in Virginia. I was actually in Columbus GA with some co-workers when our Blackberrys started buzzing with work email about evacuations and news of the earthquake. One of the guys I was with was bummed because he had never been in an earthquake and had missed that one. I tried to tell him that a) it had been a very mild one and b) a real earthquake is nothing to volunteer for.

SGT_Calle
02-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Awesome interview! Jenna Lee is my favorite Fox News babe, and she's married to a Navy SEAL (bonus cool points).
I felt the quake here in the upstate while trying to fall asleep, had flash backs of living in Japan. We always had little shakers like that there. Apparently it originated in Edgefield, SC. A lot of my Augusta friends mentioned it on FB last night/this morning.

RoyGBiv
02-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I grew up in southern CA and lived through a couple of earthquakes.
I've experienced 3 small ones...
First trip ever to Japan I woke up jet lagged at ~3:AM (local) to my hotel swaying ever so gently. Thought it was just the jet lag. Lasted a minute or so. Didn't hear any siresn, so, went back to bed (in a room so narrow I could touch the opposing walls at the same time with my hands.) When I asked in the office the next morning, all the Americans said "yeah, I felt that" and all the locals yawned. It was only a 3.5 IIRC. 5 days later a quake devastated Kobe as I was flying home.

Second time I was traveling in CA, sitting out at the hotel pool in Palo Alto when a 5.5 (?) rolled through. I remember feeling a bit queasy, then the pool water jumped out at me like a wave. And then 2 (?) years ago when that 4.? came through Oklahoma. I was laying on the couch in my house and the couch started rumbling from underneath, like somebody was revving a Harley under there... no sound, just the rumble and the feeling that I was in motion.

Earthquakes and tornadoes.... pass.

TheTrevor
02-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Experienced a significant (>4.0) earthquake the day I started work in CA. Quakes don't bother me much as my family is well trained and prepared to deal with them. The main worry is that one of us will be in an unsafe location when a big one hits, but there's not much to be done about that.

I did turn down a job once because it was in a building which barely met modern quake safety standards.

jlw
02-15-2014, 04:08 PM
In the words of one of our deputies:

"It's either too hot to fish or too cold for Valentine's Day."

One of our previous hijinks:

video (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/396382/september-12-2011/stephen-reports-on-an-old-fashioned-hero)