PDA

View Full Version : Is the Apex Glock extractor the fix for BTF in Gen3 & 4 Glock 9mm's?

Comedian
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I have a recently manufactured G17 Gen4 that has started to bop me in the head and face with brass. I am thinking of getting the Apex extractor to hopefully solve the problem. Has this been the fix that many Glock owners were looking for?

JV_
02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
How loose is your current extractor - in the cutout?

Savage Hands
02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Mine was very bad and it did cure the erratic ejection and bttf.

Full disclosure: I was a beta tester for Apex on this part and others.

Comedian
02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
How loose is your current extractor - in the cutout?

Not sure. I will have to check.

Jaywalker
02-12-2014, 08:28 PM
I have a recently manufactured G17 Gen4 that has started to bop me in the head and face with brass. I am thinking of getting the Apex extractor to hopefully solve the problem. Has this been the fix that many Glock owners were looking for? How recently manufactured? I understand from the discussions on this board that most of the problems were of 2010 - 2012 manufacture.

Randy Lee of Apex doesn't think his extractor is the whole answer, FWIW: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?92447-Randy-s-dissertation-on-erratic-ejection-and-extraction-in-the-Gen-4-Glock-9mm-pistol

Savage Hands
02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
How recently manufactured? I understand from the discussions on this board that most of the problems were of 2010 - 2012 manufacture.

Randy Lee of Apex doesn't think his extractor is the whole answer, FWIW: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?92447-Randy-s-dissertation-on-erratic-ejection-and-extraction-in-the-Gen-4-Glock-9mm-pistol

Very true, but the odds are very low that it will not fix the problem. Then you'll be stuck with a gun that willl probably take multiple trips to Glock before finally being replaced.

Comedian
02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
How recently manufactured? I understand from the discussions on this board that most of the problems were of 2010 - 2012 manufacture.

The shell casing envelope says 6/26/13. It came with the new beavertail backstraps.

David S.
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Sigh....

Wayne Dobbs
02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
I was one of Randy's beta testers for the FRE. My bottom line is that the Apex FRE, combined with the 30274 ejector, the Apex supplied extractor spring and the Glock non-LCI spring loaded bearing has worked extremely well in the half dozen 3rd Gen guns I've tried it in. That combination has resulted in very consistent extraction and ejection, both with and without a magazine on board the pistols.

Comedian
02-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I was one of Randy's beta testers for the FRE. My bottom line is that the Apex FRE, combined with the 30274 ejector, the Apex supplied extractor spring and the Glock non-LCI spring loaded bearing has worked extremely well in the half dozen 3rd Gen guns I've tried it in. That combination has resulted in very consistent extraction and ejection, both with and without a magazine on board the pistols.

Thanks for the info.

Comedian
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
My G17 has the 30274 ejector, so I'm hoping i will be GTG after installing the Apex FRE.

Savage Hands
02-14-2014, 03:03 PM
My G17 has the 30274 ejector, so I'm hoping i will be GTG after installing the Apex FRE.

Most likely it will from my experience and from monitoring multiple forums for months.

justintime
02-14-2014, 03:21 PM
My personal observation of my faulty guns was lack of extractor tension. You could feel a huge difference in tension just with your finger between the newer guns and the older guns. The apex extractor can certainly fix that but you might have to try a mixture of things. One of my guns had the btf issues fixed but would still stove pipe on rare occasion. I added a hred to the apex extractor and the tension felt very similar to my gen 2 g17. The apex part also has the ability to adjust the tension via a file but I have not tried that yet.

Seven_Sicks_Two
05-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Sorry for the thread necro... but I had to vent.

After approximately 500 trouble-free rounds, my new-ish Gen3 34 recently started ejecting erratically. Initially, I noticed that some of the brass was just sort of dribbling out of the ejection port, some was ejecting somewhat normally and some was arcing lazily in my direction (but not hitting me in the face). By the end of my range session, one third of the brass was hitting me in the face. Needless to say, I am not thrilled.

Prior to my last range session, I was aware of (but not keeping close tabs on) the Glock BTF issues. I just wanted to run a couple of things by you guys before I start ordering parts:

- In addition to the FRE, Apex mentions the need for the 30274 ejector and the SP01176 spring loaded bearing. Is there any way to ID the spring loaded bearing in my pistol? Ordinarily, I'd just buy one, but my vendors are all out of stock.

- Additionally, I can't find a source for the 30274 ejector. Is there a part number out there for the trigger housing with the 30274 ejector installed already?

Thanks in advance.

Up1911Fan
05-05-2014, 11:32 PM
30274 is the Gen4 9mm ejector. A trigger housing for that will have it. You would need to swap the ejector into your trigger housing. SLB in stock http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=382&CAT=175

TigerStripe
05-05-2014, 11:40 PM
- In addition to the FRE, Apex mentions the need for the SP01176 spring loaded bearing. Is there any way to ID the spring loaded bearing in my pistol?

Any Glock with an LCI will have the newer spring loaded bearing. The SP01176 is the Gen 2, or pre-LCI SLB.

Seven_Sicks_Two
05-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies guys. I've got a Gen4 Trigger Housing and an SLB inbound. We'll see if the 30274 cures the BTF issues before I have to drop sixty bucks on an Apex FRE.

I suppose I shouldn't be too upset; I got a smokin' deal on the 34. $420, LNIB with Ameriglo Hacks installed. I'm beginning to think that there might have been a reason it was so cheap...

psalms144.1
05-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Let us know how it works. I've reached the point where I just assume the FRE is a required part (like the Vicker's magazine release) on any new 9mm Glock. It sucks, but, seriously, it's not that expensive a "fix" for the benefits the Glock platform offers.

JBP55
05-06-2014, 07:56 AM
I installed the upgraded Glock parts in several dozen of the early Gen 4 Glocks and they never needed any aftermarket parts.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2014, 08:02 AM
The APEX extractor and White Sound HRED unit fixed my BTF issues. My pistol already had the new ejector.

DocGKR
02-24-2015, 03:44 AM
Today I had a Glock 3rd gen G17 (ser # RKE...) OEM "dip" extractor go bad after previously firing 2655 trouble free rounds...

LittleLebowski
02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Today I had a Glock 3rd gen G17 (ser # RKE...) OEM "dip" extractor go bad after previously firing 2655 trouble free rounds...

Not spring related?

JV_
02-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Todd's Gen4 19 had extractor issues after 2K rounds. My Gen4 19s had a lot of issues as they approached 2K.

They definitely worked just fine for a while, then they don't.

LittleLebowski
02-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Todd's Gen4 19 had extractor issues after 2K rounds. My Gen4 19s had a lot of issues as they approached 2K.

Copy, I'd love to see an analysis of one of these compared to a known good.

BWT
02-24-2015, 09:17 AM

Could that be associated with spring wear?

I haven't experienced BTF with my Gen 4 Glock 19 and was curious if it reared it's ugly head; were you able to fix it?

Chuck Haggard
02-24-2015, 10:11 AM
My gen 3 G19 went about 1200 rounds, then lots of in-line stovpipes, BTF, etc.

An HRED combined with a 2006 made Glock OEM extractor fixed that gun. This was before Apex started making extractors.

JV_
02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Could that be associated with spring wear?

Oh it could be, in theory, but that was not my issue.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?571-Gen4-19-The-problems-have-started

DocGKR
02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Had to pound the extractor out of the pistol, so I doubt it was spring related...

Mitch
02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
I was just about to buy a new gen 3 17, that's disappointing to hear.

JV_
02-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't let that stop a purchase. Issues happen, this one is pretty well known, and the fix is simple.

Ryno785
02-25-2015, 07:42 AM
I was just about to buy a new gen 3 17, that's disappointing to hear.

My Gen3 19 had BTF issues but just switching out the 336 ejector (Gen3) with the 30274 ejector (gen4) fixed my issues. Like JV_ said, it's simple to fix. Good old Glock simplicity.

JonInWA
02-25-2015, 01:10 PM
On my 2011 production SDA serial prefix Gen 3 G19, I immediately replaced the MIM "dip" extractor with a NOS cast one before firing a round through the gun. Subsequent extraction (and overall operation) has been impeccable. As DocGKR commented earlier in the thread, the OEM MIM/dip extractor was very tightly fit, and required more effort to remove than any other Glock extractor I've encountered.

I concurrently had the OEM sights replaced with Glock steel sights, the OEM triggerbar replaced with an older NOS triggerbar with a smooth trigger and without the extended and channeled dogleg tail, the coil trigger spring switched out for a NY1, and the standard connector replaced with a Glock "minus" one.

On a casual range trip yesterday, using 115 gr Federal Champion aluminum cased ammo, the gun shot 1" to 1.5" groups at 7-10 yds.

Best, Jon

DocSabo40
03-05-2015, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't let that stop a purchase. Issues happen, this one is pretty well known, and the fix is simple.

I'm not trying to be smart, but what is the simple fix? I've read about 100 pages of threads on this issue now, and I haven't really seen anything conclusive. Sometimes the 32074 works, sometimes the APEX FRE works, sometimes the HRED works, sometimes a certain combo of NOS parts work, etc. I read one 22 page thread where you ended up trading in a gen4 that Glock had "fixed" for a gen3. That was a few years back though. If there is a known fix that actually works, I will buy that 34 that I have my eye on tomorrow. Again, not trying to be an ass. I'm genuinely interested.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 12:52 AM
I'm not trying to be smart, but what is the simple fix? I've read about 100 pages of threads on this issue now, and I haven't really seen anything conclusive. Sometimes the 32074 works, sometimes the APEX FRE works, sometimes the HRED works, sometimes a certain combo of NOS parts work, etc. I read one 22 page thread where you ended up trading in a gen4 that Glock had "fixed" for a gen3. That was a few years back though. If there is a known fix that actually works, I will buy that 34 that I have my eye on tomorrow. Again, not trying to be an ass. I'm genuinely interested.

Most of the Glocks run, a few have problems, when they do you won't know exactly which of these will fix the issue until you give it a try. That's the best answer I have.

DocGKR
03-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Good answer too...

DocSabo40
03-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks Chuck. It sounds like the new Glocks are still a gamble without a definite fix. I'll keep shopping.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Thanks Chuck. It sounds like the new Glocks are still a gamble without a definite fix. I'll keep shopping.

I think they are likely 98% or so, maybe more, maybe not.

My brand new gen 3 G19 has so far been 100%. 400 rounds through it, no failures, or brass to face issues. If these is a problem I am confident the fix ain't that tough.

HopetonBrown
03-05-2015, 01:56 AM

Life is a gamble. Glocks slightly less so. Just buy the Glock.

DocSabo40
03-05-2015, 02:02 AM
Hmm, you guys are swaying me. I thought the failure rate was a lot higher than that. I'm going shopping tomorrow so we'll see what happens. And sorry for hijacking the thread.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Hmm, you guys are swaying me. I thought the failure rate was a lot higher than that. I'm going shopping tomorrow so we'll see what happens. And sorry for hijacking the thread.

It's not a case of "this gun is a POS, I'm out $400+", it's more a case of, "I might have to maybe buy a Apex extractor".

DocGKR
03-05-2015, 03:14 AM
Just installed the Apex extractor; dropped right in without any fit issues. We'll see how it shoots over the next few weeks.

DocSabo40
03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Please keep us posted Doc, I'm curious to see how that works out.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2015, 09:26 AM
I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem. The guns work very well in normal mode and all of them pass the acid test on this issue, which is shooting the gun without the magazine on board. They all consistently eject outside the ejection port without stoppages. This is not the norm on many, if not most, Glocks. They typically eject down the mag well or trap fired cases between barrel hood and breech face. While some say this test is not relevant or unfair, I'd simply say that if your gun won't pass it, your extractor is NOT holding a fired case against the breech face until the ejector strikes it. That is asking for trouble.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 09:42 AM
I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem. The guns work very well in normal mode and all of them pass the acid test on this issue, which is shooting the gun without the magazine on board. They all consistently eject outside the ejection port without stoppages. This is not the norm on many, if not most, Glocks. They typically eject down the mag well or trap fired cases between barrel hood and breech face. While some say this test is not relevant or unfair, I'd simply say that if your gun won't pass it, your extractor is NOT holding a fired case against the breech face until the ejector strikes it. That is asking for trouble.

It appears that if your Glock won't pass that extraction test, and in my experience most won't, that the gun is using the next round in line to assist with ejecting the brass from the round just fired. It obviously works OK for the most part, since so many Glocks work, my old issued G17 being an example with over 40,000 through the gun with one stoppage, but yeah, it kinda makes me hinky as well knowing what's going on.

EricM
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem.

Is the non-LCI SLB also recommended for Gen 4s? Obviously it's cheap enough to grab but wasn't sure about compatibility...that is the first I've heard of switching out that part, but I haven't been following all this from the beginning as I just made the switch to Glocks a few months ago. I have four Gen 4s that have all run fine with original parts but it's still early (2000 rounds through one, another 2000 total between the other three). While I haven't had any problems, I have several Apex extractors on hand due to comments I've seen about issues not showing up until later.

JV_
03-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Is the non-LCI SLB also recommended for Gen 4s?It's as recommended as installing a stronger extractor plunger spring, they both do the same thing, it increases the tension on the extractor.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2015, 12:51 PM
It appears that if your Glock won't pass that extraction test, and in my experience most won't, that the gun is using the next round in line to assist with ejecting the brass from the round just fired. It obviously works OK for the most part, since so many Glocks work, my old issued G17 being an example with over 40,000 through the gun with one stoppage, but yeah, it kinda makes me hinky as well knowing what's going on.

When you learn that replacing MAGAZINE springs improves EJECTION, it should be a clue that things aren't as they should be...

GJM
03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
A few data points.

I grabbed my NIB G4 19, prefix VT, out and did the test. Since I was shooting, I aimed at an 8 inch steel at 50 yards, and hit with the three single rounds I fired, which tells me something good about the new Proctor sights. In any event, it ejected each single round properly (115 Lawman TMJ).

Same test with my several year old UB prefix, and it also passed.

Same test with my week old prefix YH, and it ejected down the mag well. That pistol is just past 1,000 rounds without incident.

I have heard some folks (was it Hilton) say this is a 1911 test and not valid for a Glock, as the Glock was designed with the magazine as part of the feeding system. No quarrel with what others do, but I am reluctant to change the extractor, bearing thingee and spring, when my stock parts are working. If I had a problem gun that a current 2014 extractor didn't fix, I personally would be on the fence as to whether I Apex'd it or just sent it down the road. I get changing sights on a Glock, but if it won't reliably function with OEM parts that is a problem for me.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I respect what Hilton has to say, but this test is viable for any locked breech, box magazine fed pistol. All this test does is to isolate extractor function and nothing else. It tells you, in a short time frame, whether YOUR extractor is maintaining tension of a fired case until it's struck by the ejector face. If it's not doing that singular (and expected) task, the gun is failing to function as it should. If a case is going down the mag well or trapping between breech face and barrel hood or even more dramatically, doing a 180 degree spin and trap, then you know it's losing the fired case before ejector presentation. If the gun is doing what Darryl calls "lawn sprinkler" ejection all over the place, the extractor is failing because it's losing tension on the fired case and presenting it at different angles, tensions and/or attitudes to the ejector.

That kind of trashy function may be fine for a fun gun, but it's 100% UNSAT for a duty gun. Glock knows, but Glock doesn't care because they sell every thing they make and therefore have absolutely NO motivation to definitively fix this issue. It's a GO/NO GO test for any gun I want to carry or recommend now.

GJM, as an example, I want you to test the 1911 9mm you were using in your slo-mo video with Leatham and see what you get. I watched the ejection pattern with it and it was like each fired case was on rails out of the gun and on its ejection travel path. I'd be shocked if it didn't kick ass on this test.

naza2004
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
To add to the observation. I have Gen4 G19 prefix code XNM test fire case dated 6/2014. First 300 rds of winchester 124 gr NATO have dozen BTF, and with no magazine in 10 rounds all either fell out of the bottom of mag well or trapped between breech face and top of slide. Changed out extractor with APEX FRE and Non LCI SLB and pistol passes extractor test.

Purchased LAV G17 Gen3, BTF approx 1 in 7 shots fired, also failed extractor test. Just installed APEX FRE and Non LCI SLB, waiting on 30274 ejector. Have not had an opportunity to thry without 30274 ejector but would like to see what the result would be.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Damn it Wayne, now I have to go buy Apex extractors. Stop making sense.

GJM
03-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Wayne, my CZ resents being called a 1911, but it sends cases into the next county. Will try without the mag.

I still have a half dozen Apex extractors. To test my 19 that sends cases down the mag well do I just need the A extractor and pre-LCI bearing?

Do I understand you to say that if your 19 passed the "test" with OEM parts you wouldn't change them?

Chance
03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I have a recently manufactured G17 Gen4 that has started to bop me in the head and face with brass. I am thinking of getting the Apex extractor to hopefully solve the problem. Has this been the fix that many Glock owners were looking for?

To wander back around to the palaeolithic original post....

My early model Gen4 G19 would eject brass into my face about once every magazine. It happened so often, a random picture a friend took of me caught it on camera:

I call this photo, "On the Importance of Eye Protection" and there's more than one of them. I bought the APEX FRE, and the recommended ejector. I only have about 2000 rounds through it, but I have had zero issues, and all of my brass ends up in a nice, neat pile.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Wayne, my CZ resents being called a 1911, but it sends cases into the next county. Will try without the mag.

I still have a half dozen Apex extractors. To test my 19 that sends cases down the mag well do I just need the A extractor and pre-LCI bearing?

Do I understand you to say that if your 19 passed the "test" with OEM parts you wouldn't change them?

George,

I deeply apologize to the CZ! Its function is VERY consistent on that video. And, you're correct, I wouldn't change Glock parts if the gun passed the extraction test. Maybe Darryl will chime in here on how consistent another brand has proven to be...

GJM
03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if the next time I saw Darryl he had HK tattooed on his fore head.

Jeep
03-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Damn it Wayne, now I have to go buy Apex extractors. Stop making sense.

Or perhaps an HRED. Or both.

However, I would think that if the pistol is relying on the next round for ejection, one would see a lot of FTE's when firing the last round in a magazine. I've had Glock extraction problems with more than one pistol and it never seemed to be particularly a last-round-in-magazine issue.

GJM
03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Darryl stuck a pin in his Glock voodoo doll, because my brand new 19 that passed the "test" with three hits doing it on an 8 inch steel at 50, won't feed ball from slide lock. I changed the extractor and same problem. Moved the slide to another lower and problem followed the slide. I almost suspect a breech face dimension?

Jeep
03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Darryl stuck a pin in his Glock voodoo doll, because my brand new 19 that passed the "test" with three hits doing it on an 8 inch steel at 50, won't feed ball from slide lock. I changed the extractor and same problem. Moved the slide to another lower and problem followed the slide. I almost suspect a breech face dimension?

What happens to the round? Does it not feed or does it feed but the slide doesn't go into battery? And if it doesn't feed what happens to the round?

GJM
03-05-2015, 08:21 PM
What happens to the round? Does it not feed or does it feed but the slide doesn't go into battery? And if it doesn't feed what happens to the round?

Here it is, hangs up when loading slide forward or from slide lock and during firing. Think it is a barrel problem as I just switched barrels and problem went away. Now will stick suspect barrel in another 19 and see if problem follows.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmn5zbu89.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmn5zbu89.jpg.html)

GJM
03-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Sorry Gaston. Complete operator error. When I quickly put a 5 pound striker spring in last night, I got the spring cups upside down, causing the firing pin to protrude, and preventing cartridge from properly sliding up.

Fixed and function checked with one mag in dark. Will start normal reliability testing tomorrow. This one has a great dolly trigger so I am glad it is sticking around.

ST911
03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
gen4 G19, U ser#, 12,245 documented rounds to date, no malfunctions. With mag removed, ejects from the mag well 30-50% of the time depending on the load. Relatively uniform ejection direction for me, a little more erratic with my kiddos, but associated with certain loads.

gen4 G17, W ser#, 8,095 documented rounds to date, no malfunctions. With mag removed, ejects from the mag well 10-30% of the time depending on the load. Consistent ejection direction.

I have a list here somewhere of which loads are more frequently represented in mag well ejection in these guns and many others sampled, but I can't seem to associate any performance on that test with malfunctions. The guns just run.

EVP
03-06-2015, 10:24 AM
When I purchased my gen 4 g19(sept 2014 test fire) I immediatly installed a Apex extractor with the provided spring and non-lci bearing. I figured I rather start testing from a base of a known working combination. I ran 500 rounds of ammo that some have said is suspect to cause problems, federal champion 115gr and WWB. I also ran some without a magazine. I experienced no stoppages, no BTF and everything ejected even without a mag in place.

It seems current gen 4 Glocks are GTG. If ejection issues rear their head its a easy known fix for the gen 4 guns.

Earlier problem gen 3s sometimes needed a little more TLC and I remember reading that sometimes the Apex extractor had to be fitted. But that was a few years ago and I don't have experience with the newer gen 3s. All my gen 3s are of older vintage and problem free.

LSP972
03-06-2015, 11:00 AM
All my gen 3s are of older vintage and problem free.

Same here. I had a "later" FDE frame Gen 3 G19 with BTF issues, dumped it with disclosure.

So, has the cause of the "later" Gen 3 issues ever been positively identified? There is so much angst/consternation/speculation circulating about, I stopped paying attention some time ago.

Since my Gen 3 19s and 17s all work fine, and the new Gen 4 19 I bought a month or so ago works fine (so far, anyway), I ask this question out of idle curiousity.

GJM
03-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Extractor -- same main issue for gen 3 and 4.

Wayne Dobbs
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Sorry Gaston. Complete operator error. When I quickly put a 5 pound striker spring in last night, I got the spring cups upside down, causing the firing pin to protrude, and preventing cartridge from properly sliding up.

Fixed and function checked with one mag in dark. Will start normal reliability testing tomorrow. This one has a great dolly trigger so I am glad it is sticking around.

That one could have had some excitement built in if you got a round to chamber and the protruding striker lit off the round before closing!

Chuck Haggard
03-06-2015, 11:25 AM
That one could have had some excitement built in if you got a round to chamber and the protruding striker lit off the round before closing!

Yup, I thought of that, runaway gun was my first thought.

GJM
03-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Yup, I thought of that, runaway gun was my first thought.

Gaston anticipated that and designed the Glock so it wouldn't chamber if the cups are installed improperly. :)

warpedcamshaft
03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Gaston anticipated that and designed the Glock so it wouldn't chamber if the cups are installed improperly. :)

#perfection

:)

DocSabo40
03-06-2015, 08:49 PM
I tried the extractor test with the G34 that I just picked up. It was 20 for 20 sending the spent cases down the magwell. That being said, I couldn't make it jam even with some serious limpwristing experiments, so we'll see. I did get BTF a couple times out of 200. I'm going to run it as-is unless the BTF gets too annoying, at which point I'll start with the APEX FRE and work from there.

Chuck Haggard
03-06-2015, 11:57 PM
#perfection

:)

If it's so perfection, how come you can install the cups backwards? Hmmm? Hmmmmm? :p

DocSabo40
03-07-2015, 10:38 AM
To confuse the enemy in the event of a weapons capture. Obviously.

Jeep
03-07-2015, 10:52 AM
To confuse the enemy in the event of a weapons capture. Obviously.

Three points. Nothing but net. And a special "style" award for the use of "Obviously."

JHC
03-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Of all Randy Lee's interesting Glock observations from back when he was working up his extractor; most interesting to me was his report of guns that ran great when a medium sized shooter was on it, and would immediately start crapping the bed in the hands of a large mass hummamal. Then return to GTG when reversed.

JBP55
03-09-2015, 05:26 AM
If it's so perfection, how come you can install the cups backwards? Hmmm? Hmmmmm? :p

I wonder why after 4 years of study the HK VP9 spring cups are designed like the Glock spring cups?. :D

Trajan
03-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Of all Randy Lee's interesting Glock observations from back when he was working up his extractor; most interesting to me was his report of guns that ran great when a medium sized shooter was on it, and would immediately start crapping the bed in the hands of a large mass hummamal. Then return to GTG when reversed.
If my mother shoots my gen 4 9mm Glocks, they eject to 7 o'clock (yep, the other side of her head). In my hands, no issues.

She can handle a 642 as well, so go figure.

OkieHeat
03-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Did the glock move around more in the hands of a bigger person maybe???

JHC
03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Did the glock move around more in the hands of a bigger person maybe???

Randy never postulated a theory to my knowledge. Mine is that the tolerances in a specific gun were just stacked just so that the big shooter behind the gun created too much slide velocity for that gun's sloppy extraction set up.
I read this when Psalms was having some issues; he's a big one I am to understand.

Give me the big data and I'll find it. Maybe most who had guns from hell were big guys.

psalms144.1
03-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Randy never postulated a theory to my knowledge. Mine is that the tolerances in a specific gun were just stacked just so that the big shooter behind the gun created too much slide velocity for that gun's sloppy extraction set up.
I read this when Psalms was having some issues; he's a big one I am to understand.

Give me the big data and I'll find it. Maybe most who had guns from hell were big guys.I resemble that remark! 6'1", wt 248 and dropping. Maybe THAT's why the "female armorer" shot great groups and had no extraction issues with my recent Gen4 G19 - I'm too MANLY, not too GIRLY...

Regards,

Kevin

JHC
03-10-2015, 11:43 AM
I resemble that remark! 6'1", wt 248 and dropping. Maybe THAT's why the "female armorer" shot great groups and had no extraction issues with my recent Gen4 G19 - I'm too MANLY, not too GIRLY...

Regards,

Kevin

Just sayin' ;)

Remember that? That was when Randy was working up a prototype on one of MagZ's pistols (M4C) . Randy shot it smoothly, another shooter there with him was big and it wouldn't run for him.

Chuck Haggard
03-10-2015, 12:14 PM
When we were having issues with our gen 3 G22s I was told "limp wristing". Ummm, yeah, except I was 250lbs at the time and deadlifting well over 400 and benching over 325. I told the Glock rep to go fuck himself, after I explained that the guns would run if I limp gripped them on purpose, but when run in a strong iso stance or with a Mas Ayoob approved crush grip they would choke like clockwork.

Some of the Glocks are extremely sensitive to slide velocity IMHO and experience.

HopetonBrown
03-10-2015, 02:59 PM
What you weigh and how much you bench doesn't mean you can't limp wrist. I don't think you were, but the correlation is a bit silly.

Chuck Haggard
03-10-2015, 04:28 PM
What you weigh and how much you bench doesn't mean you can't limp wrist. I don't think you were, but the correlation is a bit silly.

If certainly means one would have to work at doing so.

I've coached hundreds of shooters, if not thousands, through NG handgun quals and recruit firearms training, many of them never having shot a handgun before. In my observation the worst offenders for "limp wristing" are the folks who are slight of build and lack grip strength.

psalms144.1
03-10-2015, 09:00 PM
If certainly means one would have to work at doing so.

I've coached hundreds of shooters, if not thousands, through NG handgun quals and recruit firearms training, many of them never having shot a handgun before. In my observation the worst offenders for "limp wristing" are the folks who are slight of build and lack grip strength.Not that you need backing up, but the ONLY person I've ever seen "limp wrist" a Glock into malfunctioning was a VERY slender female agent with very small hands, shooting a Gen4 G26 and our atrocious 147 gr sub sonic JHP

HopetonBrown
03-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Dude with some Kimber target pistol was limp wristing. 6'+, 200 lbs+, I asked him what his shooting background was. "A Marine", he said.

Chuck Haggard
03-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Dude with some Kimber target pistol was limp wristing. 6'+, 200 lbs+, I asked him what his shooting background was. "A Marine", he said.

Did he have the "sniper" badge?

GRV
03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Quick data point:

Mid 2014 Gen4 G19. I shoot almost exclusively 115gr Lawman through it. I would occasionally get brass to the face, but not very often, and I had a mild suspicion it was correlated to my cleaning schedule. My extractor has no issues dropping freely. Recently, I let it go about 1700 rnds without cleaning, and I started developing some pretty frequent brass to the face issues. Not every round, mind you, but frequent enough to be a bother.

Yesterday, I gave it a proper detail strip and thorough cleaning, with particular care given to the slide and removing all the caked carbon around the extractor area, breechface sides, etc. Interestingly, the extractor didn't drop free when I was disassembling it. I had to pull it out by hand. After cleaning, it dropped free easily. Went to the range last night and 0 brass to the face.

I did the no-mag test both before and after the cleaning, each time with about 10 reps. Before the cleaning, I didn't get any malfunctions or brass to the face with no magazine, but had a lot of brass going over the top of my head, one to the left side, etc. After the cleaning, the ejection was a bit stronger/better, but still tending to go over the head. However, I also ended up with one stovepipe this way, the first time I've had an ejection stoppage in this gun (4000 rounds). It was in the top of the ejection port, pinched halfway down the case, so a simple sweep did not clear it, and I had to rack the slide and let it drop down the magwell.

JHC
03-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Quick data point:

Mid 2014 Gen4 G19. I shoot almost exclusively 115gr Lawman through it. I would occasionally get brass to the face, but not very often, and I had a mild suspicion it was correlated to my cleaning schedule. My extractor has no issues dropping freely. Recently, I let it go about 1700 rnds without cleaning, and I started developing some pretty frequent brass to the face issues. Not every round, mind you, but frequent enough to be a bother.

Yesterday, I gave it a proper detail strip and thorough cleaning, with particular care given to the slide and removing all the caked carbon around the extractor area, breechface sides, etc. Interestingly, the extractor didn't drop free when I was disassembling it. I had to pull it out by hand. After cleaning, it dropped free easily. Went to the range last night and 0 brass to the face.

I did the no-mag test both before and after the cleaning, each time with about 10 reps. Before the cleaning, I didn't get any malfunctions or brass to the face with no magazine, but had a lot of brass going over the top of my head, one to the left side, etc. After the cleaning, the ejection was a bit stronger/better, but still tending to go over the head. However, I also ended up with one stovepipe this way, the first time I've had an ejection stoppage in this gun (4000 rounds). It was in the top of the ejection port, pinched halfway down the case, so a simple sweep did not clear it, and I had to rack the slide and let it drop down the magwell.

Great point about cleaning the extractor and associated area. Most of our Gs will not pass that no-mag test. IIRC a couple of them will.

GRV
03-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I find on the glocks that it is really hard to get all the crap out of that area without taking the extractor out.

Chuck Haggard
03-11-2015, 03:44 PM
A gunked up extractor is a failure point on damn near every gun that has an extractor.

GJM
03-13-2015, 05:06 PM
My wife has three G34 pistols, and one continuously gives her stoppages with 115 and lightly loaded ammo, especially shooting one hand.

This thread gave me the nudge to try an Apex extractor in that pistol. I had one of the original batch, the supplied spring, and used a pre LCI bearing, since my recollection was that was part of the fix. Through a range session today, she had no stoppages with PMC and Blazer Brass 115 FMJ, both loads that were problematic yesterday and previous days. Also, it hucked the brass way out there! Mote testing to follow, but a very promising development.

GJM
03-14-2015, 08:04 AM
http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-glock-extractor-g-fre-fitting/

Are folks fitting their Apex extractors as described above, or just dropping them in?

Up1911Fan
03-14-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-glock-extractor-g-fre-fitting/

Are folks fitting their Apex extractors as described above, or just dropping them in?

The two I have dropped in.

Wayne Dobbs
03-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I have five in play right now and all dropped in.

EVP
03-14-2015, 02:11 PM
GJM I belive that was for a small amount of the gen 3 extractors that needed to be fitted to problematic gen 3s.

The gen 4 guns seem to be all drop in.

ldunnmobile
03-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Gen4 G19 drop in. Getting dramatically stronger and more consistent ejection.

JHC
03-16-2015, 07:16 AM

The Gen 3 Apex extractor set I got to experiment with probably needed fitting. It created the first FTE from RTF2 G19 at around the 1600 round mark and then moved to an RTF2 G17 it created a half dozen within a couple hundred rounds of a gun that hadn't seen a malf in . . . I don't even know. 5K rounds? I'd have to check the logs. That pistol may not have seen a malf until those.

However I left it in there and it seemed to wear itself into a nice place, running great for quite a few rounds (a thou or two). It's gone now, replaced by a current OEM last July during a GSSF match. I thought I got it back from the tech but I may have gotten "shell gamed" as I can't locate it now.

You can't fault the forcefulness and consistency of the ejection pattern that's for sure.

LittleLebowski
03-16-2015, 08:16 AM

The same for a Gen4 G17.

Wayne Dobbs
03-16-2015, 08:48 AM

It's simply amazing how well the guns work from an ejection standpoint when the extractors are still holding the case against the breech face when presented to the ejector!

GJM
03-17-2015, 04:22 PM
The Apex thread caused me to reflect on some history with the introduction of the Apex extractor. I may be fuzzy on the exact sequence of events, and would appreciate it if others filled in things I might have wrong.

The Gen 4 intro wasn't going well. A not insignificant percentage of pistols had problems from intermittent BTF (a word no doubt spawned by the Gen 4) all the way through regular stoppages. There were lots of theories, ranging from the RSA being .40 power in the 9's, the ejector, differences in the rigidity of the frame due to possible changes in the composition of the polymer, and probably other issues I have forgot. Initially, I think most thought the problems were Gen 4 related, and the Gen 3 problems might not initially have received the attention they later got.

Randy Lee focused on the problem, designing and producing a new extractor. I believe he used Gen 4 pistols as the test bed. I think the first extractors came out, as "Glock 9mm," and didn't differentiate between Gen 3 and 4. Sometime later, Apex started including a new spring for the extractor depressor (is that the correct name for the part) and a recommendation to go to the larger pre LCI bearing (which functioned I believe to increase tension on the extractor). Not sure what the exact sequence was as to when the spring came included and larger bearing was recommended.

Shortly after the introduction of the Apex extractor, which was eagerly awaited and gobbled up, my wife got a new Gen 3 17 in OD or FDE (whichever was the new color), that wouldn't function reliably, although it was very accurate. I tried an Apex extractor, still then not marked Gen 3 or 4, like now. That didn't fix it, and I contacted Randy, who had me send the pistol to him.

My understanding is that he designed the Gen 3 Apex extractor as part of fixing her pistol, which it did. That led to the introduction of a Gen 3 extractor, distinct from the Gen 4 extractor.

When I look at the picture of the Gen 3 and 4 extractors, it appears like the two extractors use a different spring, or at least a different color spring in the pictures.

Also at some point, Apex recommended that the extractor be fitted, and posted fit instructions on the web site. Around this point, between the various springs, the larger bearing, the different extractors for G3 and 4, and the recommendation to fit the extractor, I kind of lost interest in using the Apex in pistols that ran fine.

Only recently, I installed a Gen 3 Apex extractor in my wife's G3 34 that was choking with light ammo. Dropped it right in, with no fitting, and the pistol seemed to be cured.

Never was clear on what the exact difference is between the Gen 3 and 4 Apex extractor, and difference, if any, in the supplied spring?

OK, I feel better now, having written all this down, so I can hopefully find it in the future by a forum search.

ssb
03-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Got nailed in the face with 124gr+P HST and noticed some weak ejection at times, so I installed a Gen 4 extractor, non-LCI SLB, and the APEX spring in my 2013-mfg Gen 4 G19 this afternoon as a prophylactic measure. 80 rounds of PMC 115gr later and ejection appears to be strong and consistent. Estimated round count was 1200 at the time I started noticing problems. Extractor dropped right in.

ReverendMeat
03-19-2015, 01:23 AM
Sold my G19 to a friend last year after about 1,700 rounds through. Had constant BTF which I wrongly attributed to ammo. I installed the Apex extractor a couple days ago. We took it out tonight and ejection was consistent at about 4:00. I tried a few rounds without the magazine and it was consistent at about 5:30-6, sometimes going straight over my head instead of hitting me in the face. Buddy got one BTF, I got zero, out of 100-150 rounds. May not be 100% but it's a helluva lot better than BTF every shot.

L-2
03-19-2015, 01:07 PM
I shall let the readers know, for me, the Apex "FRE" gen3 extractor caused a different failure on my gen3 G17 and G19.
The Apex extractor would intermittently pull and hold onto the spent casing, pulling it ABOVE the ejector. This causes a combination doublefeed-horizontal stovepipe when the slide tries to return to battery.

Emailing Apex, they confirmed this might occur on some Glocks. My G17gen3 works best with the 30274 ejector and my G19gen3 works fine with the 336 ejector. A few brass-to-face hits is ok with me compared to that awful FTE doublefeed.

What I was originally hoping for was to have my 9mm Glocks eject as well as my .40 Glocks.

Dave J
03-19-2015, 02:59 PM
The Apex extractor would intermittently pull and hold onto the spent casing, pulling it ABOVE the ejector. This causes a combination doublefeed-horizontal stovepipe when the slide tries to return to battery.

Emailing Apex, they confirmed this might occur on some Glocks. My G17gen3 works best with the 30274 ejector and my G19gen3 works fine with the 336 ejector.

Did Apex recommend a fix? And am I reading correctly that you went back to stock? I had similar malfunctions with a 2013 G17 Gen3 with the Apex FRE and 30274, but haven't had time to mess with it much further. (Stock ejector + 336 was an anemic lawn sprinkler, with frequent BTF and even some brass over my left shoulder...switching to the Apex FRE made it fly in the proper direction, and I was happy...until the DF/HSP malfunctions started.)

L-2
03-19-2015, 06:34 PM
I don't recall Apex offering a fix.
Yes, I went back to stock.
I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one with our new acronym "DF/HSP", but sorry for your malfunction.
I'll be picking up a new G26gen3 next week, too. We'll see if that'll be OK.

fwrun
03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
In my case, I had awful BTF issues with my Gen3 17 Serial USC***, as well as about a 90% failure rate when conducting the 1911 test, and common DF/HSP. I bought the gen 3 FRE from Apex, still no luck- failing 1911 test, more BTF, and DF/HSP.

I contacted their customer service, who then had me send in several up close pictures of the slide and extractor installed. Based on what they saw, they told me I would need the Gen4 FRE, even though I had a Gen3 pistol. They sent me the new FRE at no charge, and since then I have had 2.5k problem-free rounds fired with extremely consistent ejection.

Mr_White
03-23-2015, 01:10 PM
I experimented over the weekend with an Apex FRE in my Gen3 G34. I wasn't having BTF issues or an epidemic of malfunctions, but I wanted to see what the Apex extractor would do in my gun.

Pretty neat I would say. Robustness of ejection with the Apex extractor was noticeably greater with Gold Dot, HST, Speer Lawman, and Federal Champion.

Gary1911A1
03-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Hu
In my case, I had awful BTF issues with my Gen3 17 Serial USC***, as well as about a 90% failure rate when conducting the 1911 test, and common DF/HSP. I bought the gen 3 FRE from Apex, still no luck- failing 1911 test, more BTF, and DF/HSP.

I contacted their customer service, who then had me send in several up close pictures of the slide and extractor installed. Based on what they saw, they told me I would need the Gen4 FRE, even though I had a Gen3 pistol. They sent me the new FRE at no charge, and since then I have had 2.5k problem-free rounds fired with extremely consistent ejection.
Good to heard. Guess I need to place an order.

BobLoblaw
03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
I bought the Apex FRE which didn't improve BTF with a gen 4 G19. Then I bought the White Sound plunger thingy which didn't help either. The G19 sat in the safe until I forgot about it.

Then I saw this thread. A $3 non-LCI SLB used with the Apex FRE finally cured the BTF (for now). Thank you, PF.

DocGKR
03-23-2015, 09:08 PM
It has solved my G17's problems.

ldunnmobile
03-23-2015, 10:29 PM
I bought the Apex FRE which didn't improve BTF with a gen 4 G19. Then I bought the White Sound plunger thingy which didn't help either. The G19 sat in the safe until I forgot about it.

Then I saw this thread. A $3 non-LCI SLB used with the Apex FRE finally cured the BTF (for now). Thank you, PF.

Great post. I believe a lot of people have tried the Apex WITHOUT installing the non-LCI SLB, which Apex specifically recommends. When that doesn't work they just assume the Apex FRE isn't working properly.

Chuck Haggard
03-24-2015, 04:03 PM
I kinda think Apex needs to ship those with the part. So many people are looking for a non-LCI bearing that they are sometimes hard to find.

psalms144.1
03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
I kinda think Apex needs to ship those with the part. So many people are looking for a non-LCI bearing that they are sometimes hard to find. I sincerely agree.

EricM
03-24-2015, 06:08 PM
^ yes!

It is listed as recommended on the Apex site, but not for example in the description at MidwayUSA, and there is nothing in the packaging about it either. I wasn't aware of it until reading this thread.

HRL
04-05-2015, 03:58 PM
I put in an Apex extractor with non-LCI spring load hearing in my gen 4 G19 and finally tried it out yesterday. Didn't notice an improvement with ejection, maybe a bit more forceful but direction is now a little more erratic. In fact first mag had a stovepipe and failure to return to battery, separately.

Not sure where to go from here, in anticipation of the fix I did a heat reduction of the backstrap hump, ground down thefinger grooves. I even put a minus connector in so I could at least get a similar trigger feel from other gen 4 glocks I've dry-fired.

I truly believe I got a lemon, both function and trigger wise but now that I stupidly modified the frame I don't know that a warranty fix is in the cards. All other parts are what seems to be latest revisions.

Probably 90 of these problems have been with freedom munitions reloads and I think that might be part of the problem by still frustrating.

I want to like the platform but can't seem to get my example to work right. Don't know if I should sell and get what I can and start over with a new Glock or what.

PensFan
04-05-2015, 08:39 PM
My experience is that a non-LCI bearing has little to no effect on ejection. Most of my solutions have come with changing extractors, EDP springs and ejectors. But there are other factors involved including ammo and the shooter themselves. Keep in mind that no two springs are the same. That also is true for extractors and ejectors. We're talking about mass produced parts where there are tolerance windows and variances. It's exactly the same as building 1911's at Springfield, Kimber, etc... There are bins and bins of parts that are put into the guns. Nothing is hand fitted.

Morbidbattlecry
04-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I put in an Apex extractor with non-LCI spring load hearing in my gen 4 G19 and finally tried it out yesterday. Didn't notice an improvement with ejection, maybe a bit more forceful but direction is now a little more erratic. In fact first mag had a stovepipe and failure to return to battery, separately.

Not sure where to go from here, in anticipation of the fix I did a heat reduction of the backstrap hump, ground down thefinger grooves. I even put a minus connector in so I could at least get a similar trigger feel from other gen 4 glocks I've dry-fired.

I truly believe I got a lemon, both function and trigger wise but now that I stupidly modified the frame I don't know that a warranty fix is in the cards. All other parts are what seems to be latest revisions.

Probably 90 of these problems have been with freedom munitions reloads and I think that might be part of the problem by still frustrating.

I want to like the platform but can't seem to get my example to work right. Don't know if I should sell and get what I can and start over with a new Glock or what.

Give Apex a call and see what they say. When i first got my FRE for my Gen3 17 my BTF issue wasn't fixed. I sent them an email explaining the issue and was told i may need to take some material off a small pad in the inner part of the extractor. Being not mechanically inclined i asked if i could send them my slide and they do it for me. Randy fixed me up free of charge and put 100 test rounds through it. I still put a HRED in as well just in case.

WilsonCombatRep
04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
I have fixed a few poorly ejecting Glocks (G17, G19, G34) simply by dropping in the older machined extractor for a G22. Not exactly sure why but works like charm :)

Chuck Haggard
04-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I have fixed a few poorly ejecting Glocks (G17, G19, G34) simply by dropping in the older machined extractor for a G22. Not exactly sure why but works like charm :)

I've done that as well, mostly before the Apex part was available. If I could go back to 2006 and buy more of those when we were buying Glocks I get a large bag of them.

JV_
04-09-2015, 10:21 AM
I've done that as well, mostly before the Apex part was available. If I could go back to 2006 and buy more of those when we were buying Glocks I get a large bag of them.

When the problems first came out, I went to my local gun shop and bought half a dozen of their "old stock" extractors. They had 20 or so extractors on hand, and I was able to pick out all of the non-dip versions.

HRL
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys gonna try to file the fitting pad it a bit and see how that goes.

If not I might just try and get a few new factory extractors to see if one will have that magic fit.

WilsonCombatRep
04-09-2015, 05:00 PM

I bought an armorers kit from a place they had G22's. I have enough for like, ever!

ReverendMeat
04-15-2015, 01:27 AM
After I installed the Apex extractor a couple weeks ago I acquired the non-LCI SLB. When I went to replace the old SLB I found that I had -- because I'm a friggin' IDIOT -- previously installed the extractor plunger assembly backwards. Yet even with it backwards (god that's embarrassing) it still not only functioned 100% it actually functioned better that way, with the Apex unit, than it did stock. God help me if I made a similar boneheaded move with anything else.

Yute
05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
So interesting issue (completely my fault) - bought a new Gen 3 slide and built it up with the Apex setup (just dropped it in). Had multiple failures to fire/light primer strikes (interestingly all with Winchester 9mm NATO and Winclean, but none with HPR 115 grain TMJ). Thought it was the striker assembly, replaced it, problems still occured but now with failures to go into battery. Thought it was my KKM barrel, replaced it with factory, still failure to fire issues. Replaced the Apex extractor and the problems are now gone. Basically when they say you might need to fit the extractor, you might actually need to fit the extractor - DOH!! :o

Wayne Dobbs
05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
So interesting issue (completely my fault) - bought a new Gen 3 slide and built it up with the Apex setup (just dropped it in). Had multiple failures to fire/light primer strikes (interestingly all with Winchester 9mm NATO and Winclean, but none with HPR 115 grain TMJ). Thought it was the striker assembly, replaced it, problems still occured but now with failures to go into battery. Thought it was my KKM barrel, replaced it with factory, still failure to fire issues. Replaced the Apex extractor and the problems are now gone. Basically when they say you might need to fit the extractor, you might actually need to fit the extractor - DOH!! :o

RTFM....

TR675
07-22-2018, 10:21 PM

Necropost.

I bought a Gen3 G19 a while ago and never got around to shooting it due to an infatuation with the M&P. When I finally got around to shooting it three or four years ago I got a ton of BTF and, very disappointed, stuck it back in the safe.

Ever since, this thread, and specifically this post, have been rattling around in the back of my mind like an empty beer can in a pickup bed for...three years now?!? Time flies.

In any event, I'd ordered all of the parts listed here a while ago, finally got around to installing them yesterday, and fired about 150-180 rounds through it at the Garland rifle range which was 108 degrees and doing a pretty good imitation of the seventh circle of Hell. No malfunctions; ejection could be stronger I suppose but it is consistently about 4'o'clock both with and without the magazine in the gun. I'll shoot it some more and see what else happens; I had to quit today when the gun got literally too hot to touch and I was not about to wait for it to cool down.

Point being - Wayne, thanks for posting this and helping (knock wood) to fix my previously junky gun! Just goes to show what a great resource this forum is.

ubervic
08-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Been shooting an inherited G17.3 for about 6 months now and very recently started getting BTF about once every other magazine. Installed the 30274 ejector, as a first step, and will test this weekend.

EVP
08-24-2018, 12:35 PM
What vintage is your gen 3?

L-2
08-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Been shooting an inherited G17.3 for about 6 months now and very recently started getting BTF about once every other magazine. Installed the 30274 ejector, as a first step, and will test this weekend.

Once every other mag (1:34 rounds) isn't too bad. FYI, there's also now a 47021 ejector, as found in a G19X/G26gen5/G34gen5 trigger mechanism housing (part number 47208) should the 30274 ejector still not work acceptably. Some folks have indicated good reports with this ejector in their Glocks. I put them into my G17gen5 and G19gen5, but I wasn't having any problems with the stock 30274 ejectors in those two Glocks, anyway.

I do have a 30274 ejector in my G17gen3 which helped quite a bit from ~10%+ brass-to-face rate. Whether I'm getting a 1:34 rate, I don't know as I don't shoot this Glock often anymore.

ubervic
08-24-2018, 05:01 PM
What vintage is your gen 3?

Don’t know. Serial number begins with FUK

ubervic
08-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Once every other mag (1:34 rounds) isn't too bad. FYI, there's also now a 47021 ejector, as found in a G19X/G26gen5/G34gen5 trigger mechanism housing (part number 47208) should the 30274 ejector still not work acceptably. Some folks have indicated good reports with this ejector in their Glocks. I put them into my G17gen5 and G19gen5, but I wasn't having any problems with the stock 30274 ejectors in those two Glocks, anyway.

I do have a 30274 ejector in my G17gen3 which helped quite a bit from ~10%+ brass-to-face rate. Whether I'm getting a 1:34 rate, I don't know as I don't shoot this Glock often anymore.

It’s not terrible, but if I can eliminate the issue for a few dollars I’m definitely doing it.

Nephrology
08-25-2018, 03:09 PM

Probably a pretty early Gen 3. My G19 with serial no. MGX was test fired in summer '08; I imagine yours must be older than that.

HCM
08-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Probably a pretty early Gen 3. My G19 with serial no. MGX was test fired in summer '08; I imagine yours must be older than that.

HCM
08-25-2018, 09:51 PM

I have an FUK prefix Gen 3 17. It was part of a group of such guns sold to a local gun shop in GA by a security company after they lost an Army contract. The group included “FUK 666.” This was 2007 or maybe 2008.

EVP
08-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Yea that is a older model that should be GTG before the whole extractor debacle. I would keep a eye on it and if it gets worse just throw a Apex extractor and be done with it. I rather swap a Apex extractor in it and start keeping track of rounds and malfunctions from that point on.

With that being said it is not out of the ordinary to get a random BTF with older Glocks with weak range ammo but they usually run like sewing machines. My older gen 3 19s were what you would expect a Glock to run like.

ubervic
08-27-2018, 05:27 AM
Replaced the original 336 ejector with the 30274 ejector. Ejection pattern now quite consistent to roughly 4 o’clock with 200 rounds fired. Will continue to evaluate, but I’m pleased.

Nephrology
08-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Replaced the original 336 ejector with the 30274 ejector. Ejection pattern now quite consistent to roughly 4 o’clock with 200 rounds fired. Will continue to evaluate, but I’m pleased.

I found that was all I needed to fix the BTF on my Gen 3 G17 RTF. Have had no issues since.