PDA

View Full Version : Elite Shooting Sports - New range coming to Gainesville, VA

JSGlock34
02-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Looks like another indoor range option is coming to Northern Virginia...Elite Shooting Sports (http://www.eliteshootingsports.com).

42 lanes - including eight 100 yard lanes - and a two level shoot house.

Several classes are already planned (Greg Wodack is listed as the Owner/Operator - I took some classes from Greg when he was the manager of the NRA Range/Senior Firearms Instructors) - as well as a Guest Instructor Series.

Looks like a promising addition to the area.

JV_
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
It's supposed to open in September.

ToddG
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Greg and I have been talking quite a bit and it sounds like this place is going to be amazing... and perfect for teaching classes both I'm the middle of the summer and winter...

Vinh
02-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Wow, I'm a former pupil of Greg and it's pretty exciting to see him create such an awesome indoor range. I'd join just for the 100yd range alone! Hopefully this place doesn't morph into Silver Eagle Group II.

Kyle Reese
02-12-2014, 04:34 AM
I'll definitely have to check this place out!

LittleLebowski
02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Hopefully this place doesn't morph into Silver Eagle Group II.

It takes talent and dedication to screw something up that badly.

JSGlock34
10-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Looks like it is getting close to opening...

It's been fun to watch the updates on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EliteShootingSports) - seeing the entire range built from the ground up...

JSGlock34
11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Checked out Elite Shooting Sports today (ESS). They're open for business, though this is a 'soft opening'. Just about every other range in the area is closed today, so I was pleased to find ESS was open. The retail area is still being stocked, the 100 yard range is not yet finished, and the Cafe isn't open for business yet. More than enough room at the 25 and 50 yard ranges (I believe there are 34 shooting positions between these three ranges alone).

First impressions are very positive. ESS is open and spacious. The waiting area is quite large, with a number of flat screen TVs mounted high on the wall. I was greeted promptly when I arrived and walked through the registration procedure. Everyone must watch a 10 minute orientation video before being issued their membership card and being permitted to shoot on the range. I liked the video - hopefully it will tune casual shooters into range safety and etiquette more than the posted 'Range Rules' found at most ranges.

When I went to the counter to pay my range fees, the gentleman asked if I was active or former military. When I replied that I was former military, he wished me a happy Veteran's day and told me I would shoot free today. Very nice gesture. Though there were a number of people enjoying the range today, there was no wait and I headed right out.

The range itself reminded me very much of the NRA Headquarters Range, but on a larger scale. The range carriers and controllers looked almost identical to the most recent carriers used at NRA. The wall material also looked very similar. The range bays (there were 12 positions in the 25 yard range) were substantial; plenty of room to move around. The walls are built out of metal and very thick safety glass. I had the impression that the report from neighboring range bays didn't seem as loud as other indoor ranges I've been on - this may be attributable to the large bay area. A removable cart/table served as the range bench, again similar to the NRA Range though much nicer and purpose built. Each range position had a stapler. The challenge for indoor ranges is always lighting, and while the ranges were well lit, some of the bay areas were dimmer than others. I'll give the edge to the NRA Range here, as they have dedicated lighting in each bay.

Forgive the poor cell phone pic...

All in all, a very nice addition to the area's ranges.

JV_
11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to head there very soon, it's a LOT more convenient, for me, than the NRA range.

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to head there very soon, it's a LOT more convenient, for me, than the NRA range.

That. I need to knock some rust off.

Vinh
11-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Can't wait to use the 100yd range. Got tired of driving to West Virginia. That photo makes the bay look smaller than NRA.

gwgw60
11-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I drive by the range everyday but haven't stopped in yet. I hope this is soon.

JSGlock34
11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Hmm....which wide angle shot can make the booths seem bigger?

NRA...

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/525037_475617975789098_1637356872_n.jpg?oh=3afaad1 10cb827ef52316d3320c988ca&oe=55197D1C

vs...ESS!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10612968_359745614202854_4276162175326047732_n.jpg ?oh=d721afe1f3931c08b5dc1b5dd4c15141&oe=551F3C2B&__gda__=1427931027_461abe61ffb937b8e1bac5419f17980 0

cclaxton
01-20-2015, 12:30 PM
A fair and balanced video on Elite Shooting Sports and "Guntry Clubs" and the popularity among women.
Not bad considering it is the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/politics/this-isnt-your-daddys-gun-club/2015/01/13/de5295ee-9aba-11e4-86a3-1b56f64925f6_video.html
Cody

Peally
01-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Wow that seems a little too classy for me. I'm no grizzled hobo but it looks a lot more like a fancy golf club that somewhere where I can go plop my crap down on a table and really get some work done.

Not that I'm complaining, I'd welcome one here for sure, shooting in the cold is COLD :D

cclaxton
01-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Wow that seems a little too classy for me. I'm no grizzled hobo but it looks a lot more like a fancy golf club that somewhere where I can go plop my crap down on a table and really get some work done.

Not that I'm complaining, I'd welcome one here for sure, shooting in the cold is COLD :D
I think they have memberships for as low as $40 a month. Doesn't sound too crazy as long as they don't require you use their ammo and allow you to shoot reloads.
Cody

Peally
01-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Sure but it still looks fancy-pants. I'd still feel out of place when they have a cafe for God's sake. I'm used to plopping down at a range alone in the woods with a few bianchi barricades lying around for use :D

JV_
01-20-2015, 01:56 PM
It's competing for customers with the NRA range (and some lesser equipped ranges). On the weekends and/or during the holidays, a 60-90 minute wait times are not unheard of for the NRA range.

If Elite gets popular enough to have long wait times, and when they host classes and matches, a cafe will be a welcomed addition.

Mjohn3006
01-20-2015, 02:41 PM
So how have weekend waits been? I work at the NRA range and a bit over a month ago I worked a Sunday that barely had a wait at all, but the last 3 weeks have seen 1 to 2 hour waits during peak times on Saturday and solid 1 hour waits on Sundays. (during peak times).

So last month I figured it was ESS taking customers. But wait times now seem unchanged from previous years at this time.

The hope would be more places to shoot gets more people shooting. :)

Peally
01-20-2015, 02:57 PM
I can't believe there's an hour wait to shoot, that's crazy. I'd just go home and dry fire more :P

ubervic
01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Great to see that we have a large, nicely designed new range option.

JRM83
01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Nice facilities. Makes me wish I lived closer to Manassas. I can't justify driving 45 minutes each way when there is an indoor range 5 minutes from my house.

JMS
01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
But wait times now seem unchanged from previous years at this time.

Pure "Xmas gun" enthusiasm, which'll fade. No different than the influx of N. Year's Resolution enthusiasm at gyms; burst at the beginning of the year that fades quickly. Add to that: the Dulles goon-show within the same time-frames; folks buy stuff there, then Dukes of Hazzard their way to every range in NoVA to muzzle-sweep everybody they can before being stopped.

To date, I've had to wait once at ESS, this past Saturday evening, and it was a whopping 10min.

Great facility. Personally, I think it's a bit too damned warm, but.... :D

ToddG
01-21-2015, 12:04 AM
Went to ESS for the first time today.

It's an incredibly classy place. Clearly the owners spent a lot of money making it feel high class. Staff was friendly and professional, but some need further seasoning. One RO spent a couple minutes talking to a shooter who had a loaded gun pointed cross-range on his table and the RO never even noticed it.

They require you to pass a safety demonstration test if you want to draw from aiwb. An RO made me clear my pistol then watched me draw and reholster. Entire process took a minute and was zero problem. He was very friendly about it. There was no sense that they would rather me do something else.

Target system is identical to the NRA's, which is no surprise as the chief guy at ESS was the chief guy at NRA when they got the new system. It's outstanding.

If the wait times on the weekend are short compared to the NRA, it would be worth the extra 15min each way for me to get there. I've basically given up shooting on weekends during cold & hot months (I have access to a reserved bay at Peacemaker when the weather is nice). This could give me more options for planning my practice schedule.

The proximity to Dulles Airport (IAD) and the Courtyard Marriott a mile from the facility make it an ideal spot for hosting classes, which is intended in the future.

LittleLebowski
01-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Went to ESS for the first time today.

It's an incredibly classy place. Clearly the owners spent a lot of money making it feel high class. Staff was friendly and professional, but some need further seasoning. One RO spent a couple minutes talking to a shooter who had a loaded gun pointed cross-range on his table and the RO never even noticed it.

They require you to pass a safety demonstration test if you want to draw from aiwb. An RO made me clear my pistol then watched me draw and reholster. Entire process took a minute and was zero problem. He was very friendly about it. There was no sense that they would rather me do something else.

Target system is identical to the NRA's, which is no surprise as the chief guy at ESS was the chief guy at NRA when they got the new system. It's outstanding.

If the wait times on the weekend are short compared to the NRA, it would be worth the extra 15min each way for me to get there. I've basically given up shooting on weekends during cold & hot months (I have access to a reserved bay at Peacemaker when the weather is nice). This could give me more options for planning my practice schedule.

The proximity to Dulles Airport (IAD) and the Courtyard Marriott a mile from the facility make it an ideal spot for hosting classes, which is intended in the future.

This is a lot closer to me, please let me know if you need a training buddy on the weekends.

JV_
01-21-2015, 07:49 AM

FWIW: I would encourage folks to go a few miles west and stay at the Hampton Inn in Gainesville, rather than in Manassas.

Hampton Inn Gainesville-Haymarket
7300 Atlas Walk Way
Gainesville, VA 20155

abu fitna
01-21-2015, 10:07 AM
I started going over there in December. I had been fed up with the previous facility in Ashburn for a while, and was glad to take our colleagues advice to avoid dealing with that particular group and give the new business patronage.

Uniformly excellent experience. Great build out, attentive staff, and a lower than usual derp factor among the patrons. A few tense moments here and there when it got very busy, especially with new shooters trying out recent purchases, but addressed quickly enough and nothing nearly of the routine measure of unsafe behavior which has caused issues at other ranges in the area (other than NRA).

cclaxton
01-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Any thoughts on the relatively positive spin that Washington Post put on this? My guess is they are looking at their subscriber base and demographics are changing due to more women shooting and a change in attitude about guns due to the last Supreme Court rulings.
Cody

LittleLebowski
01-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Any thoughts on the relatively positive spin that Washington Post put on this? My guess is they are looking at their subscriber base and demographics are changing due to more women shooting and a change in attitude about guns due to the last Supreme Court rulings.
Cody

No, the Post is resolutely antigun and will remain that way.

joshs
01-21-2015, 11:09 AM
No, the Post is resolutely antigun and will remain that way.

Since Bezos took over, they've definitely changed their public messaging on guns, especially now that Volokh is part of the Post.

LittleLebowski
01-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Since Bezos took over, they've definitely changed their public messaging on guns, especially now that Volokh is part of the Post.

I believe that you're right but I sincerely doubt there's going to be a sea change there.

zeroflux
01-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Wait...what? Classes intended in the future? (that almost slipped by me). Where do I register? Take my money... please!

ToddG
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
I know they're interested in hosting classes. The issue at present is the first weekend class they held (a Sunday-only CCW class) created what the management considered unacceptable wait times (~30min) for regular patrons wanting to rent a lane. This creates an issue because there aren't a lot of people who will take enough vacation to be in a full 2-day class that happens mid-week.

abu fitna
01-30-2015, 12:14 AM
Glad to know that this is something they are tracking on though. Another range in the area took the stance that damn the members, groupon and classes and rentals were more important. More reason I am glad to have switched over.

Was even pleased to see a non derp full auto shooter on the line, instructing a young blonde who was herself reasonably squared away. And thus far only 1 judge - whose owner was not there long at all. didn't catch the process, but outcome was likely based on his use of birdshot.

Tough to square the circle between normal access and class times. Hopefully they can work it out one way or another.

Matt O
02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Bumping this with a couple questions:

Is ESS very crowded similar to the NRA range? Weeknights, weekends, etc.
Has ESS siphoned away some of the NRA crowd?

I haven't done any live fire in multiple months and am probably going to let my peacemaker membership lapse due to how far away it is, so that means I'm looking at either going back to the NRA or potentially ESS (which is more expensive and further away).

JV_
02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
I've been to ESS twice and it was half full both times. They have a lot more lanes.

They seem to have siphoned the folks who live west if the NRA.

JMS
03-01-2015, 01:03 AM
I've been going there since about 2wks after they opened, different days/times, and have yet to wait more than 15min for a lane, and that's only occurred twice. Doesn't mean that I'll never have to wait longer than that at ESS ever...

...but even when ESS is crowded, they have enough lanes that the crowd is cycled at a notably faster rate than NRA is capable of doing. Been going there for something like 7yrs, and 15+min waits are utterly commonplace, not to mention too many 45+min waits to count. Not their fault, their footprint is their footprint, and that's not gonna change.

Matt O
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
ESS sounds pretty nice, especially with the reduced wait times. Unfortunately it's about 30-40 minutes away from me, whereas NRA is about 15; and is $120 more per year for an annual membership.

The NRA wait time was indeed pretty legendary, especially during holidays or when there were gun shows. Has anyone noticed this has decreased due to the siphoning effect or has everyone pretty much switched over to ESS and not looked back?

ToddG
03-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I go to both depending on the day and my goals. NRA's wait times have definitely shrunk a bit now that ESS is open but my understanding is that peak times -- especially weekends -- are still pretty rough. In contrast, my wife and I were at ESS late Saturday afternoon and I think we had less than a 15min wait.

NRA is much closer to me, I know just about everyone there, I've got one of the "2hr" memberships, the lighting in the booths is better (something ESS is actively addressing), and there is an RO on the range at all times.

At ESS I've yet to be kicked off for time even though the membership only gives you 1hr at a time, it's open every day of the week, the waits at peak times are significantly better, and you can photograph/video if you want.

If someone told me I absolutely had to pick just one, my answer would be to f*** off. :cool:

Kyle Reese
03-01-2015, 10:48 PM
While it's a longer drive for me, ESS has become my go to range. I hate the 45 minute+ waits at the NRA range, which are all too common.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk