PDA

View Full Version : Need timer advice...

LSP972
02-09-2014, 09:56 AM
My old bullseye/PPC timer finally gave it up. So I need to replace it, and that might as well be something which is a bit more… realistic is the word, I suppose. Yeah, I know, I have been using a sun dial for my personal range time. I am well aware of the capabilities of the electronic shot timers, from using them in training and competition. I just never saw the need to spring for one when I could use what I had to push myself.

Anyway… I'm looking at three or four different makes/models. While price is not a concern, I do not need the multiple capabilities of the top-end (i.e., PACT 200-whatever) examples. These are the candidates; if you know of other, comparable examples, by all means please clue me in.

1. CED 7000
2. Competition Electronics Pocket Pro
3. Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II
4. PACT Club Timer 3

These are my desired characteristics:

1. Small/light as possible
2. Easily-used, durable attachment clip
3. Intuitive controls

Any comments/advice appreciated.

ToddG
02-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Pocket Pro 2 is still my favorite of those, though lack of memory and a soft beep are its biggest negatives.

I've had so many CED 7000s die on me I've lost count. But... six. Plus one 7000 Pro that was an absolute piece of garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ST911
02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I've found the Club Timer 3s to be quirky on indoor ranges even when adjusted. Outdoors, they are fine. Mine have been durable.

HopetonBrown
02-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Shotmaxx seems to be the flavor of the month.

TheTrevor
02-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Shotmaxx seems to be the flavor of the month.

Yeah, but those of us playing wih it know going in that we are early adopters. There's just not enough time in the field, or personal experience, to say that the SM is any more durable or reliable than the incumbent choices and therefore recommend it. Yet.

JSGlock34
02-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Agree with Trevor; early reports in the Shotmaxx thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10863-ShotMaxx-Wristwatch-Timer) are positive, but I can't say that two months and a handful of range trips makes my Shotmaxx more durable than my nearly ten year old PACT Club III, which continues to soldier on without complaint or problem (knocking wood as I type this). The appeal of the Shotmaxx to me is the accelerometer - which makes a shot timer usable for me even on a very active indoor range. The forthcoming Bluetooth and smartphone functionality is icing on the cake.

I'd say the Shotmaxx is definitely geared towards the individual shooter; I wouldn't want to run a class or competition using it. But for me practicing on the range, I've been very pleased. The fact that the manufacturer has been active on this and other boards and helping members solve some firmware related issues is worth highlighting.

LSP972
02-09-2014, 06:15 PM
The ShotMaxx is the one you wear on your wrist, right?

Don Gwinn
02-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Ayup.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10863-ShotMaxx-Wristwatch-Timer&highlight=shotmaxx
(I helped!)

Chris Rhines
02-09-2014, 07:55 PM
The Shotmaxx is not perfect, but it's the best indoor shot timer I've used so far. If not that, I'd go with the Pocket Pro II.

DAA
02-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Agree with Trevor; early reports in the Shotmaxx thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10863-ShotMaxx-Wristwatch-Timer) are positive, but I can't say that two months and a handful of range trips makes my Shotmaxx more durable than my nearly ten year old PACT Club III, which continues to soldier on without complaint or problem (knocking wood as I type this). The appeal of the Shotmaxx to me is the accelerometer - which makes a shot timer usable for me even on a very active indoor range. The forthcoming Bluetooth and smartphone functionality is icing on the cake.

I'd say the Shotmaxx is definitely geared towards the individual shooter; I wouldn't want to run a class or competition using it. But for me practicing on the range, I've been very pleased. The fact that the manufacturer has been active on this and other boards and helping members solve some firmware related issues is worth highlighting.

Let me know guys if you have any questions either here or by direct email to eli@doublealpha.biz

Thanks,
Eli.

gringop
02-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Another vote for Pocket Pro II. Adjustable sensitivity and dwell time, rugged, simple controls, ergonomic, BIG screen display, replaceable batteries.

The only con is that the Par time can be a pain to adjust if you bounce around between 3 seconds and 8 seconds a lot.

Gringop

LSP972
02-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Pro Shot II is ordered.

Appreciate all the advice.

Jack Ryan
02-20-2014, 01:31 AM
I've had a Club Timer III for about 4 months now. I only use it outside but I'm completely satisfied with it. I did need to adjust it when I first got it and it's been great ever since. It's simple to use, one little sheet of instructions. Four buttons, so simple and intuitive they don't even label them. I was a little skeptical of that at first but it's proven true for me.

I'm not a guy who's big on electronics stuff any more. I just want things to work, I don't care WHY they work any more or want to learn a lot of new rigamarole every time some kid invents a new way to watch TV. I'm a guy who has given more than one MP3 play a little air time toss and then stomped it.

If it's intuitive to me, any one can use it.