PDA

View Full Version : competition or just target pistol

hartman
02-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I had a ruger mkIII pistol with about 4-5 " barrel, it just seemed to never be on target.

does anyone out there have good ideas for 22 pistol for target and competition up to 50 ft.

thanks hartman

Lomshek
02-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Way back when I was first starting shooting I had to crank the adjustable rear sight on my Ruger 22/45 way to the left because the gun "shot to the side". As I learned the finer points of precision shooting I found I needed to return the rear sight to center.

The gun shot fine it was me that was consistently pulling the shots to the side and only as I improved as a shooter did I quit jerking the trigger and was able to adjust the sights to mechanical center which was where the gun shot if the trigger was pressed smoothly.

Ruger .22 pistols as a group are very accurate. Before you blame any gun have someone more experienced give it a try and see if they have better results. Mine will put 10 rounds into 2" at 25 yards with Walmart Federal bulk pack ammo to give you an idea of the accuracy potential.

Personally I like the 22/45 grip angle far more than the radical sweep of the MK 1/2/3 pistols but that's personal preference if you want to give Ruger another chance. Browning Buckmarks are also very accurate. I've never cared for the weird controls on the Walther and Beretta target .22 pistols and the guns with a slide surrounding the barrel (Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito for instance) generally won't shoot as accurate.

ACP230
02-08-2014, 06:56 AM
My son shot Bullseye on a Jr. Pistol Team for several years.
Various guns were tried but most of the team eventually used Marvel .22 Conversions on the .45 frames they
used in centerfire and .45 stages.
Marvel makes extremely accurate .22 conversions.

Other possibilities include the S&W M41. I was very impressed with the ones I shot.

1slow
02-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Best I have shot :
High Standard Supermatic Military Trophy,
High Standard Victor, HS was similar to 1911 feel.
Various Volquartsens on Ruger Autos,
.22 on Colt 1911, cannot remember if it h was a Marvel or what.

LittleLebowski
02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
S&W Model 41, hands down.

Toonces
02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
If it functions, you already have a great gun for target shooting. The average MKI/II/III/Buckmark is way more accurate than most people. That being said, substandard examples do exist. I would suggest you find a Master class bullseye shooter and have them try it. If it prints a tiny group it's you. Adjust your sights and keep practicing. If it doesn't shoot for them, contact Ruger.