PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice that we decided to ignore post counts here?

Jay Cunningham
06-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Just wondering what y'all thought of it...

:cool:

Joe in PNG
06-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Never noticed the lack.

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
It's a good idea. It helps keep the signal to noise ratio at an appropriate level, and discourages post whoring.

WDW
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Helps keep the douch-baggery to a minimum, as on some forums, post counts are all people care about

Wheeler
06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Awesome. When do I get my 500 post badge?;);)

JM Campbell
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I find it moves the discussions along with out the spitting contests.

I also like the fact that questions are answered rather then ignored.

For me starting my training find this the most valuable of all.

jetfire
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Hypothetically, I may have recently joined a forum whose name shall not be mentioned, but has a nickname which rhymes with, oh, I don't know, "snarfcom". Anyway, on that forum, some dude asked a pretty rookie question about IDPA or which I answered, only to be responded with "what do you know, you've only got 9 posts."

So yeah, I like that we're ignoring post count.

mnealtx
06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Caleb, you newb....LOL

Honestly, I didn't think of the post count being visible until it was mentioned - it's not something that I tend to use as a metric for the validity of someone's posting.

jslaker
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I had definitely noticed, and actually was thinking about it earlier today. Another forum came up in a search result and I noticed that they used post count to determine user title ("X Forum 1K user!", etc).

I definitely prefer post count being hidden.

(if for no other reason than it makes it harder for me to quantify how much idle time I spend here. ;))

JV_
06-13-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm all for it.

Quantity ≠ Quality

da6dspanburg
06-13-2011, 06:49 AM
I agree. I like it! (the fact that there are no post count requirements)

Ga Shooter
06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm all for it.

Quantity ≠ Quality

+1

:cool:

JHC
06-13-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm all for it.

Quantity ≠ Quality

+1

Jay Cunningham
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree. I like it! (the fact that there are no post count requirements)

The vBulletin software does in fact track post counts, but we choose not to display them. Staff had a discussion about this back when we started up and we thought this would be a nice way to go vs. all the other boards.

NickA
06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I like it. A quick check shows that I've posted a lot more than at least one very well known SME, so you could argue post count is inversely related to actual knowledge (and that I need to STFU).

turbolag23
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
i noticed and i'm all for it. too many other forums place too much emphasis on post count.

orionz06
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Have the "senior member" labels been removed as well?

VolGrad
06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
post count = lame

Unfortunately, many folks think the guy that talks a lot knows a lot. That usually is NOT the case.

MEH
06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I noticed, and think it a good thing, but then, I'm just a lowly "member". ;)

greyghost
06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I think it makes for a better forum experience for everyone. And it helps to bring new users into the fold easier IMO.

Chuck Haggard
06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Well, I think it's bullshit. I mean, really, everybody knows a really high post count makes you a subject matter expert.
If people can't see your massive post count then how in the hell are they supposed to be impressed with your opinion? How are we supposed to keep track of the noobs and make fun of them?

Like this one time, some guy named, I think he said he was like Larry Vickers or whatever, got on a forum I was on, and he started trying to tell people about the 1911 and pistol training, after like 9 posts, NINE whole posts!

Seriously, WTF? Dude, I don't know who he thought he was fooling.

On a serious note, post counts only serve to remind me that I spend too much time on the computer.

ubervic
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Beyond the intelligent discussions and genuinely helpful information/advice shared on this board by people who actually know what they're talking about, the LACK of member post counts is one of the things I most appreciate about the experience here.

I believe that omitting post counts subconsciously encourages USEFUL contributions to threads (rather than simply encouraging posting), withholding the false 'reward' of higher-level status achievable on other boards---where prolific posters are typically elevated mainly because they have chosen to post more than others do.

Corvus
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I didn't notice until it was mentioned. I do think it will probably make for a better board.

CCT125US
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I too like the lack of post count. The number of posts does not equal one's IQ..... well maybe in some cases. I do like the join date being displayed, kind of shows one's devotion to the forum. Of course the guy who joins tomorrow is no less important than the first member. I think we internally keep track of those we respect vs. the one guy who counters whatever we say and thinks he is God's gift to the gun world. Glad to say I have not noticed that on this board. Lets keep up the good work... and BTW the mods do a great job of keeping threads on topic and not rabbit trailing.

will_1400
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Like others have said, I prefer the lack of visible post counts. I'll never get why people associate post count with knowledge, especially since you have gentlemen like Kyle Defoor and LAV who don't post that often when compared to most forum members, but when they do, it's because they have something to say.

Slavex
06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
isn't this like talking about Fight Club?

Frank D.
06-14-2011, 05:54 AM
I like it on this forum.

I think that on forum's where the topic of discussion is, for example, economics, or philosophy or poker or basically subjects that involve more theory than action, post counts can be a reasonable indicator of a poster's knowledge (to a point).

On forums for more practical things, like shooting, post counts are next to worthless, and on some forums, can actually be detrimental.

DonovanM
06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
I dig it, but it doesn't make me post any differently or regard anyone else's posts any differently.

Simms65
06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
On a forum where I'm a mod of a couple sections I have a post count of over 16,000. On a few other forums, it ranges from just a couple to a few hundred.

Post count not being shown doesn't bother me in the least, in fact I kind of like it here.

Panic
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I have been lurking in the shadows for a couple of months now, this being about the only forum that I visit. The lack of post count was something that I noticed straight up from the beginning of my perusing venture here. This site is the wealth of information that I was looking for and the fact that it is horsepuckey free combined with the lack of post count qualifications makes it more appealing for my desire to learn the pistol better.

DrDave
06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Helps keep the douch-baggery to a minimum, as on some forums, post counts are all people care about
+1

Post count has zero correlation with knowledge

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2016, 09:05 AM
2016 Post-PFestivus Necro Bump!

Maple Syrup Actual
09-18-2016, 10:59 AM
I just wanted to say that I noticed this way back when, and I liked it, for pretty much all the reasons laid out by people above. It's one of the things that I felt made this forum unique and always struck me as symbolic of its dedication to rational, data-driven shooting, instead of comfortable standard forum culture.

Robinson
09-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Now that this has been bumped, I think it's still a good idea. No post counts!

RevolverRob
09-18-2016, 12:40 PM
I like not having a post-counter. If I really want to know, I can check my profile Otherwise, less crap to look at under someone's name.

Paltares8
09-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Agree with everyone. It seems like pointless information honestly. Hell, there are probably people who have joined in the last 3 months that have more posts under their name than people who have been here for years. Just so happens that all of their posts are full of shit. Quality over quantity and all that... The "likes received" offers a little more as to what to expect from that person, but i know that I like just as many posts that are just funny to me as I do posts that I think have great info/advice in them.

El Cid
09-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Maybe make a high post count a punishment? It means the person is online too much and should be at the range more. Lol!

Dave J
09-18-2016, 02:50 PM
It was a good idea back in 2011. It's still a good idea. Don't change it.

jwperry
09-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Too hard for me to bump a thread from 2011, I didn't have any!

And I do like the no post count thing. It took me a minute to go and find where the post counts were in my profile....a whopping 147 posts in 5 years. At least I can pay money to contribute to the forum, I'm obviously not doing it through conversation..