PDA

View Full Version : New "duckbill" shotgun choke. Seems like a good idea.

TR675
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
It's my year of the shotgun, it looks like, so I'm interested in any accessories that will make me and the ol' 870 more tactical.

And here it looks like we've got a winner. The "Gator" duckbill shotgun attachment replaces the choke tube in your favorite scattergun. (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/06/paradigm-gator-shotgun-spreader/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheFirearmBlog+%28The+Firearm +Blog%29&utm_content=Bloglines)

The video for this product shows that it takes a good load of No. 4 buck and, instead of putting it into the dead center of an IDPA target's torso, now spreads it horizontally across two or more targets, or, even better, across one target and a lot of empty space!

Needless to say this seems practical and tactical, and I'll be getting one. Only problem is my 870 is a cylinder bore and doesn't have a choke, so I guess I'll have to figure some other way to attach it. Duct tape, maybe.

DanH
02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
That sound you just heard was 10,000 personal injury lawyers achieving simultaneous orgasm.

SecondsCount
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Pray and Spray!

Chemsoldier
02-07-2014, 03:39 PM
New company or maybe newly manufactured items but th concept is not new. I seem to recall that Navy SEAL James "Patches" Watson talked about having one on his shotgun in Vietnam in his book "Walking Point."

TR675
02-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm sure it was fine in Vietnam where they were shooting blindly into the jungle. Maybe not so great in the home.

Trivia: the shotgun in the original "Doom" had a duckbill attachment If its spread was anything to go by.

Also: attaching a duckbill choke to my shotgun with duct tape? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Don Gwinn
02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Before Doom, the guys in Contra pioneered the vertical duckbill shot. It was a somewhat specialized tactical tool for side-scrolling operating environments, but I operated pretty operationally with it, especially against the helicopter gunship, if I recall correctly.

SecondsCount
02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Also: attaching a duckbill choke to my shotgun with duct tape? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think it is almost as good of an idea as the duckbill choke. Not sure why I didn't think of it except that I hate duct tape.

JeffJ
02-07-2014, 04:10 PM
before doom, the guys in contra pioneered the vertical duckbill shot. It was a somewhat specialized tactical tool for side-scrolling operating environments, but i operated pretty operationally with it, especially against the helicopter gunship, if i recall correctly.

l r l r up down up down b a b a select start

WDW
02-07-2014, 04:57 PM
The word ghey comes to mind

john556
02-07-2014, 05:17 PM
l r l r up down up down b a b a select start

u d u d l r l r b a b a

Contra: serious stuff

Chuck Haggard
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
While this may be a new product, the idea is far from new, and much like the bolo/strung buck idea it isn't in wide use for very good reasons.

TR675
02-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Before Doom, the guys in Contra pioneered the vertical duckbill shot. It was a somewhat specialized tactical tool for side-scrolling operating environments, but I operated pretty operationally with it, especially against the helicopter gunship, if I recall correctly.

"Like".

Chuck Whitlock
02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
While this may be a new product, the idea is far from new, and much like the bolo/strung buck idea it isn't in wide use for very good reasons.

New company or maybe newly manufactured items but th concept is not new. I seem to recall that Navy SEAL James "Patches" Watson talked about having one on his shotgun in Vietnam in his book "Walking Point."

Col. Charles Askins has written about using the concept, too. In that time and place, bueno. Nowadays, not so bueno.

jetfire
02-08-2014, 03:27 PM
No joke: in Battlefield 4, there is a duckbill "choke" attachment available for in-game shotguns. It's pretty much garbage in the game mechanic. I had no idea such a thing existed in the real world, and am sad to see that it does.

Chuck Haggard
02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I'll throw out that my commentary isn't just theoretical. I have actually worked with two different examples of such chokes.

Pattern spread becomes much more uneven and less controlled. It is common to get holes in the pattern at any distance unless you are using smaller birdshot.

I suppose for clearing the decks of a ship during a close range broadside attack before boarding this would be useful. In such a case one wouldn't care about hitting random people to the sides of the intended target.

I have seen one successful use of such a device, during a local outlaw IPSC shotgun side match. My friend's gun could take down 6 plates with two shots when everybody else had to fire six to get six.

LHS
02-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Please. The correct code is u u d d l r l r b a start.

dbateman
02-25-2014, 08:39 PM

True I know. The duck bill was used back in Vietnam.

Every account of it is not favorable..

will_1400
02-27-2014, 07:51 AM
"Let's take a weapon notorious for its lack of precision and make it MUCH MORE IMPRECISE". Seems legit.

Dave J
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I can't help but wonder if some idiot will try to mount one on his Taurus Judge.

45dotACP
03-02-2014, 01:00 AM
I can't help but wonder if some idiot will try to mount one on his Taurus Judge.

How operator that would be! My SERPA is tingling.