PDA

View Full Version : Walther P99 Compact?

NickA
06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Didn't want to muddy up the PPQ thread, so...
Been looking into a subcompact gun lately, and since I carry a G19 and also have a 17, the 26 is the obvious choice for several reasons (holsters, mags, etc.). But…after reading the PPQ thread, I looked at Walther’s lineup, mainly because I’d just never paid much attention to them. The P99 compact looks interesting. Some quick googling seems to indicate the P99 is good quality, no major issues, just kind of a sleeper here in the US. I’ve had the itch to try something different (especially something German), and it looks like CDNN has the P99 CQA for under $500, so for the sake of argument tell me about the P99, especially the compact.
I know holsters and sights will be limited; will full size P99 holsters work with the compact? Full size magazines?
What are the triggers like? Seems the AS system is preferred, but the QA is more Glockish? This gun would have to be run alongside my Glocks, so if the triggers are completely different that may be a deal breaker. Right now I’m running the “-“/NY1 combo if that matters.
Any other info or things to look out for?

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
My suggestion to you is to see if you can rent or otherwise try a P99 prior to buying one. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with them. I've owned a few over the years (all 9mm German guns, full size AS models) and really liked them. That said, the AS trigger "feels" and functions as a DA/SA trigger pull. The trigger feels quite different from a Glock, FWIW.

With a striker fired handgun, like I said, it's love or hate. Alas, I've never fired the Compact, so cannot render comment there.

JodyH
06-12-2011, 08:40 PM
The QA trigger blows.
The reset is long, weak and not at all positive.
Very vague and difficult to shoot quickly.
The AS trigger on the other hand is great.

double-Tapatalk

Rappahannock
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I've had a full size, a Smith & Wesson version of the P99 and the compact. I liked the compact version a lot, and if I recall correctly it is one of the lightest of the pistols that size like the G26. I found the compact to be just about as accurate in my hands as its full size brother.

There is also a spacer for the full size magazine (15 rounds, I think), so you can use it in the compact model. If I hadn't sold my compact to raise funds for a really bad idea custom job, I'd still have it.

NickA
06-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the AS would be the way to go, but I've got enough problems trying to learn one trigger system. Was hoping to try something new and exciting, but I'll probably go the practical route and get a 26 eventually.

Andy T
06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I used to have P99C AS. It was an all German gun. It fit my hand nicely, and felt less "blockier" than the Glock. I used Comp-Tac holsters for IWB and OWB. The full size holster fit the compact sized gun. The trigger was nice, the SA had one of the shortest resets I have ever had.
However, I ended up selling it because I wanted to focus on Glocks and the manual of arms (you have to decock AS) and trigger are different enough.
I also ended up breaking the recoil spring around 3500 round mark. The replacement part was not in stock in S&W and I ended up paying around $40 shipped for it.
While it's a nice gun, I prefer to stick with Glock 26 for my sub compact needs.

NickA
06-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Andy-thanks for the input. Between your post and the "M&P vs. Glock" thread with many others chiming in about always circling back to Glock, I guess I'll save myself some $ and time and be sensible. But damned if I'll be happy about it :)