PDA

View Full Version : Bulk ammo?

oboe
06-12-2011, 05:33 PM
It appears that bulk ammo - meaning, sold in bags of 100 rds - can be less expensive that the same ammo in a 50 rd box. Is there a reason I would NOT want to buy that bulk ammo?

JV_
06-12-2011, 05:46 PM
What kind of ammo are you buying in bags? IME - That's usually a warning sign, I usually stick with ammo from:

Federal
Speer
CCI
Winchester

oboe
06-12-2011, 05:50 PM
9mm 115. So what brands should be absolutely avoided in bags?

JV_
06-12-2011, 05:53 PM
9mm 115. So what brands should be absolutely avoided in bags?There are too many small shops that sell reloads in a bag, especially at gun shows. It's a never ending list.

oboe
06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
OK, I'm talking (a) brands whose name we recognize without straining, (b) new loads, not reloads (c) from an online outfit whose nam we know (d) in 9mm 115 (e) in plastic bags of 100 rds.

JV_
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
OK, I'm talking (a) brands whose name we recognize without straining, (b) new loads, not reloads (c) from an online outfit whose nam we know (d) in 9mm 115 (e) in plastic bags of 100 rds.

I'm not aware of any deals on "bagged" ammo from any vendor or manufacturer I would consider.

If you'd like to name the place or provide a link, perhaps you'll get some better feedback.

oboe
06-12-2011, 06:13 PM
My question is more generic. I wasn't clear. My question is this - if you would buy a particular brand and load that's sold 50 rds to a box, would the buy the very same ammo if it were sold in plastic bags, 100 rds to a bag?

TGS
06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
yeah, sure, as long as you can verify it's the same ammo in the bags.

AFAIK the only reputable vendor with bagged ammo is Georgia Arms. If you find a brand name other than GA in a bag, I wouldn't buy it. Just not worth the risk of a double-charge from some bumpkin in his basement in West Virginia or north Florida all hopped up on meth, PBR and Marlboro reds.

I wouldn't really consider 100 rounds to be buying in bulk, either.

JDM
06-12-2011, 06:21 PM
My question is more generic. I wasn't clear. My question is this - if you would buy a particular brand and load that's sold 50 rds to a box, would the buy the very same ammo if it were sold in plastic bags, 100 rds to a bag?

IF you happen upon this, it's most likely not factory packaging, which means they are reloads, or repacked by a third party for some odd reason. Neither of which are kosher.

That said, I have seen Speer 150 count boxes of JHPs. The boxes were marked "not for duty use". Factory JHP practice ammo in larger than normal quantity.

oboe
06-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I consider 1000 rds to be bulk. I was asking about the plastic bags. The stuff is a reputable brand from a reputable on line vendor. I guess I'll just need to weight the risk that the vendor is misrepresenting reloads against the nice price.

JDM
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I consider 1000 rds to be bulk. I was asking about the plastic bags. The stuff is a reputable brand from a reputable on line vendor. I guess I'll just need to weight the risk that the vendor is misrepresenting reloads against the nice price.

Link?

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 08:01 PM

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Caveat Emptor.

jetfire
06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
A "reputable brand" from a "reputable vendor" that you don't want to name?

If you're looking for some bulk ammo, you can get 115 grain FMJ from BVAC for 175 bucks for a case of 1000 rounds (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM4212-1.html). That item may or may not be in stock, because Cheaper than Dirt sells a lot of those bulk packs of BVAC.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I am sponsored by Cheaper than Dirt and BVAC ammo. I've fired at last count over 10,000 rounds of various types of BVAC in the last 12 months and honestly? It's pretty good stuff. It runs all my guns and makes good practice ammo.

oboe
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Actually, it doesn't sound good enough to be true. I'll stick with the good deals I get for 1000 online and the group buy group to which I belong. We put in our orders by the tenth of the month, and then when the orders are in, we go to pay for them and have a cook-out right outside the shop. A good deal on ammo, a cook-out with like minded guys [and women] - one of life's better times.

Issued resolved - at least for me.

oboe
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM

It was a hypothetical. But as I said, my interest in the bagged ammo is now officially out for the season.

Thanks for the link - but it's still "once fired brass".

fuse
06-12-2011, 09:14 PM

It was a hypothetical. But as I said, my interest in the bagged ammo is now officially out for the season.

Thanks for the link - but it's still "once fired brass".

Bvac is about the only "factory reloaded" ammo most people trust.

oboe
06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Bvac is about the only "factory reloaded" ammo most people trust.

If that includes the range master, that's great. Otherwise - not.

jetfire
06-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Your range won't let you shoot reloads? BVAC is factory ammo anyway, it's just set up on once fired brass.

They also sell that same case of ammo in virgin brass, but it's about 50 or 60 bucks more expensive.

flyboy1313
06-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I'll repost this here to see if someone will answer it.

I recently bought 1000 rounds of reloads at usa ammo (9mm Luger 115 gr. FMJ) Has anyone else try these, and do you think it's worth the great price. Even with the $20 shipping, it's saving me $2 per box of 50 at Wally World. $40 extra in my pocket to buy range time.

Note: I'm new to gun ownership, and have been to the range now 5 times shooting the white box and Federal ammo from Walmart with no malfunctions on my new S&P M&P compact. I've applied and taken the classes for my CCW, and have also taken one lesson with a qualified local instructor.

I plan on shooting a lot. Cost is an issue for me. Please let me know if this is a good idea, or should I stay with the new rounds.

Great site.

fuse
06-13-2011, 10:20 AM

I recently bought 1000 rounds of reloads at usa ammo (9mm Luger 115 gr. FMJ) Has anyone else try these, and do you think it's worth the great price. Even with the $20 shipping, it's saving me $2 per box of 50 at Wally World. $40 extra in my pocket to buy range time.

Note: I'm new to gun ownership, and have been to the range now 5 times shooting the white box and Federal ammo from Walmart with no malfunctions on my new S&P M&P compact. I've applied and taken the classes for my CCW, and have also taken one lesson with a qualified local instructor.

I plan on shooting a lot. Cost is an issue for me. Please let me know if this is a good idea, or should I stay with the new rounds.

Great site.

The thing about ammo like that, is that it may work great, until it doesn't work great.

I just takes 1 bad round to screw up your day.

It is a personal choice.

John Ralston
06-14-2011, 10:42 AM

USA Ammo is a fairly large remanufacturer, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. However, you can probably get factory new ammo at the same prices by going to places like ammoman.com and ammunitiontogo.com.

htxp30
06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I recentely purchased bulk ammo from Lucky Gunner to use specifically for practice ammo. In 600 rounds I have had close to 20 jams and 1 misfire. I shoot an HK P30 and i have shot with a cleaned and a 300 round uncleaned gun and it doesnt matter,jams keep occuring. Went to my gun shop and was told by them they would not shoot anymore of that ammo and basically just keep it for Armageddon (tongue in cheek). Have supplied LG with pictures of jams and complete description of problems and they so far don't seem to care.
Guess the old saying "you get what you pay is TRUE".
I had bought 1000 rouns from ammoman which werent once fired and had no problems. When I went back to Ammoman they didnt have rounds I had bought beforeand and as much as i like to practice I decided to try LG to get price per round down. I read reviews on LG and they were pretty good so its not like I went in blind.
Saving 3 or 4 cents a round is not worth having to worry about everytime you pull the trigger wondering if the slide is going to blow off, sort of takes the fun out of it.

Hope this helps

Kyle Reese
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I recentely purchased bulk ammo from Lucky Gunner to use specifically for practice ammo. In 600 rounds I have had close to 20 jams and 1 misfire. I shoot an HK P30 and i have shot with a cleaned and a 300 round uncleaned gun and it doesnt matter,jams keep occuring. Went to my gun shop and was told by them they would not shoot anymore of that ammo and basically just keep it for Armageddon (tongue in cheek). Have supplied LG with pictures of jams and complete description of problems and they so far don't seem to care.
Guess the old saying "you get what you pay is TRUE".
I had bought 1000 rouns from ammoman which werent once fired and had no problems. When I went back to Ammoman they didnt have rounds I had bought beforeand and as much as i like to practice I decided to try LG to get price per round down. I read reviews on LG and they were pretty good so its not like I went in blind.
Saving 3 or 4 cents a round is not worth having to worry about everytime you pull the trigger wondering if the slide is going to blow off, sort of takes the fun out of it.

Hope this helps

What brand was this ammo that was giving you problems?

htxp30
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
The brand was Military Ballistics Industries. Like I said in my post the reviews were good but either I got a bad batch or LG pads there reviews. Shooting a HK P30 so I know its not the gun, even had it checked by shop to make sure.

C

jetfire
06-28-2011, 10:06 PM
The brand was Military Ballistics Industries.

I suspected as much.

virginiatactical
06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Just reading this thread is quite topsy turvy. If you are going to be shooting in excess of 2,000 Rounds a month, perhaps a good alternative would be to reload yourself? I personally reload like a mad man ... I understand you prefer factory ammo ... but my reloads have zero issues. I use good bullets, good primers, good powder, and 1 or more fired brass. You might not be able to control bubba, but you should be able to control yourself!

I did have a student that came through one of my courses last year order this ..

http://www.luckygunner.com/m-b-i-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw165fmjmbi-1000

1,000 rounds of .40 Military Ballistics Industry. The shooter had 0 issues with the 1,000 rounds he shot at the course. I am not saying its perfect stuff, but I saw someone shoot 1,000 rounds of it in 2 days and it ran fine. I personally would still not purchased bagged ammo .. but then again Mr. Dillon helps me out tremendously with my ammo costs. I am paying 15 cents on the round right now .. and that is with 124gr JHPs or 124 CMJS.

htxp30
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I bought the 2000 rounds to share with my son not to shoot 2000 rounds a month. Have thought about reloading and after this experience am going to take a closer look at it.
To VT what do you mean by "You might not be able to control bubba, but you should be able to control yourself!"

mnealtx
06-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking he meant that while you can't control the quality of "Bubba's" reloads, you can definitely control the quality of your own reloads.

virginiatactical
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking he meant that while you can't control the quality of "Bubba's" reloads, you can definitely control the quality of your own reloads.

@htxp30 What this gentleman said. You can control the quality of your own reloads. As long as you take the necessary steps and precautions ... your home made reloads can be better then factory spec new ammo for much cheaper. I know reloaders who do not check every round, and then some reloaders (like me), check everything on every round. I rarely have failures caused by my ammo. (rarely, but it can and has happened)

Super J
08-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I've never seen factory ammo in a bag. The only bagged ammo that I've come across were reloads at a gunshow. I don't buy reloads.

Edited to add:
The cheapest bulk ammo that I've recently found was 1000 rounds of blazer brass 9mm delivered for $221 (I think that's what the bill was...it was between $209 and $225) from Palmetto State Armory.

JAD
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I bought the 2000 rounds to share with my son not to shoot 2000 rounds a month. Have thought about reloading and after this experience am going to take a closer look at it.

Work the math carefully. I would not be able to convince myself that reloading was economical if I didn't shoot archaic cartridges like .45 ACP and .38 Super. I can get several excellent brands of 9x19 (S&B, Federal A.E., Blazer -- all of which have been very good to me over the years) for less than $180/K shipped from Natchez or Midway. Jacketed bullets from Zero (the best economy pills I know of) are around $100/K, primers are $25/K, powder is $20/K, and I usually figure I'm replacing around $10-20 worth of brass at minimum due to loss per K. I truly believe you need to sort brass to load 9x19 -- it's fussy, and I wouldn't shoot sloppy seconds on a range that sees Glocks -- and that is way not worth $25/K to me.

If for some reason you decide to run .45 (and gosh knows there's no detectable difference in terminal performance, so that would just be foolish), the math tilts pretty hard toward reloading; 1911s love a cast bullet, and I genuinely prefer my reloads to factory ball for practice.

Jon
KC