PDA

View Full Version : Zinc-Plated Steel

TGS
06-12-2011, 02:25 PM
So I've never tried steel cases due to all the horror stories. However, RUAG is offering a zinc-plated steel cartridge and it's $20 cheaper per 1000 than my #1 choice.

I mean, hey, it's from RUAG, it should be good right? Any concerns about using zinc-plated steel through an HK P-series?

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
So I've never tried steel cases due to all the horror stories. However, RUAG is offering a zinc-plated steel cartridge and it's $20 cheaper per 1000 than my #1 choice.

I mean, hey, it's from RUAG, it should be good right? Any concerns about using zinc-plated steel through an HK P-series?

Link? I'm curious....

TGS
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1000rds-9mm-ruag-precision-115gr-fmj-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

John Ralston
06-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Well, Zinc has lubricating properties, but I just don't know. I guess it depends on how many rounds a year you plan on running.

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that this ammunition is manufactured in Hungary by MFS.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=561149

I've used their 9mm ammo (124 grain brass cased) before and experienced about a 5% dud rate with it in a Glock 17.

I emailed ATG and have asked for confirmation regarding this ammo.

Of course, I could be wildly off the mark here and totally wrong. :cool:

TGS
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
This may be true, GS.......

See post #46 here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15176241

Not sure if that is credible or not, but it makes sense.

Looks like shit, smells like shit......don't need to taste it to know it's shit.....

That's unfortunate you had that experience with MFS. I had bought 1000rnds of their brass cased ammo from Cabelas a while back for $9.99 per 50 when prices were still out of control. It sounded funny going down range and had a trippy smell, but I didn't have any problems with that batch. Again, this was their brass cased ammo. It appears their quality is spotty at best.

Apparently Fiocchi is also having MFS load their ammo(or whoever loads MFS's ammo). That's a shame.......I've loved the thousands of Fiocchi rounds I've shot. Strong recoil, never a problem, clean.

Chuck Haggard
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I've used the zinc plated 7.62 stuff from my AK, but never any 9mm. I'd be curious to hear how it works, or not.

Kyle Reese
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
ATG just emailed me and stated

It is manufactured by RWS in Germany.

JodyH
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I ordered 500 rounds of it Saturday, ill report once I get some downrange

double-Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
06-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I ordered 500 rounds of it Saturday, ill report once I get some downrange

double-Tapatalk

Thanks for being a beta tester. :cool:

Kyle Reese
06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Lucky Gunner just told me it was made in Switzerland.

Maybe another vendor will say......Moldova? :cool:

TGS
06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Lucky Gunner just told me it was made in Switzerland.

Maybe another vendor will say......Moldova? :cool:

Supposedly RUAG owns or is composed of RWS(Germany), GECO/Dynamit Nobel(Swiss) and MFS(Hungary). Since I've never seen RWS, GECO or Dynamit Nobel produce zinc-plated steel case ammo, my bet is on MFS producing it and being sold under the RUAG name like you suggested. What better way than to introduce a new ammo claiming it's Swiss, or at least give the impression it's affiliated with the Swiss?

Seriously. Their standard issue military ammo is match grade.

Kyle Reese
06-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Supposedly RUAG owns or is composed of RWS(Germany), GECO/Dynamit Nobel(Swiss) and MFS(Hungary). Since I've never seen RWS, GECO or Dynamit Nobel produce zinc-plated steel case ammo, my bet is on MFS producing it and being sold under the RUAG name. What better way than to introduce a new ammo claiming it's Swiss, or at least give the impression it's affiliated with the Swiss?

Seriously. Their standard issue military ammo is match grade.

I know, I've shot tons of it.

I've never heard of the Germans (post 1945, and not talking about the DDR) or the Swiss loading steel cased, Berdan primed 9mm ammo.

Either the components are manufactured in Hungary and loaded/packaged in Germany/Switzerland, or the stuff is just loaded in Hungary.

Prdator
06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Well let me add this, In a class this last weekend some of the students were running a Zinc plated steel case 9mm ammo ( Im assuming that its the same brand) and they loved it!! They reported no duds and good accuracy.

JodyH
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
UPS just dropped off my ammo.
500 rounds of the Ruag Precision from ammunitiontogo.com
Box says "Made in Russia", headstamps are "MFS".
I'm headed to the range in an hour to shoot up 150 rounds.
I'll update after I bust a few caps.

Kyle Reese
06-16-2011, 07:06 PM
UPS just dropped off my ammo.
500 rounds of the Ruag Precision from ammunitiontogo.com
Box says "Made in Russia", headstamps are "MFS".
I'm headed to the range in an hour to shoot up 150 rounds.
I'll update after I bust a few caps.

Thanks for the update.

JodyH
06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
150 rounds downrange.
50 through my Glock 19
100 through my H&K P30

The zinc plating is slicker than snot. This is probably the smoothest loading ammo I've ever used. It does leave a light black dusting on your hands though.

Recoil was consistent and felt up to spec. No weird sights, sounds or smells while shooting. Casings piled up about 5' to my right.

Shooting the Glock 19 with a laser at 8 yards I had 10 rounds in a 1" target dot offhand.
The H&K put 5 rounds into the 1" dot at 15 yards off the bench.

Good stuff, I placed an order for another 2k rounds a few minutes ago.
:cool:

John Ralston
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Did you notice any scuffing on the casings that might indicate rubbing on the chamber? That would be my only concern.

I have avoided the use of any and all steel cased ammo in my firearms for this reason.

JodyH
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
The mild steel casing are much softer than the barrel steel.
I shot a LOT of Wolf through my Glocks for years with no problems.

double-Tapatalk

Corvus
06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I have shot some of the zinc plated Silver bear through an AR with good results. I would like to see Silver Bear 6.8spc production.

zRxz
06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I've personally shot thousands of MFS' steel-cased 115 grain through my Glock. Aside from the black finger tips you'll get from handling it, I've experienced multiple dead primers (loaded them back into a magazine and restruck it, multiple times), white muzzle flash during low light, and lots of carbon residue in the gun. The stuff is downright dirty. It gives off more smoke than other stuff, too. It's your choice if you want to shell out a some extra for Geco/RUAG, but I have and don't mind the lack of black paws. Having said all that, it works, it's cheap, and since it won't be doing anything more than punching paper or smacking steel, why not? I have not noticed any adverse wear to any of the parts of my firearm (including the chamber) for having used it.

TGS
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Was wondering if there's any more news on this RUAG zinc-plated steel cased ammo. I'm looking at ordering a case in preparation for my P2000 getting back from Gray Guns. I think it, and I, will be hungry for ammo when it does :D

JodyH
12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm working my way through another case of it, no problems to date in several thousand rounds.
I usually buy whatever's cheap from ammunitiontogo.com and this has been the cheapest "in stock" ammo for a while.
RWS and Aguila are good cheap ammo as well.

TGS
12-04-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm working my way through another case of it, no problems to date in several thousand rounds.
I usually buy whatever's cheap from ammunitiontogo.com and this has been the cheapest "in stock" ammo for a while.
RWS and Aguila are good cheap ammo as well.

I had a bad experience with Aguila as a kid. I think the bullet was greased with old sweat from a fat lady's underboob, and it had some wicked nasty smell when fired. I've got 1450 rounds of AE 147gr left which I really like but isn't in stock. I think I'll try out the RUAG zinc-steel stuff unless my gun range can give me what I want. I'll probably order 2000 rounds for good measure. :)

JM Campbell
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Another option which I think is top notch:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=Geco&osCsid=t43vdl4vka1rldqatjnk67ngq6&x=16&y=18

Wheeler
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I've been using this through my BDM. Out of 500 rounds I've had one FTF, apparantly a hard primer. I payed $100 for 500 rounds and fully intend to purchase more.

JM Campbell
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Chewed up 1k with no problems. Great brass to reload with also. I have to get more too.

TGS
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, mucho gracias to the crowd here at P-F for the wealth of knowledge...but I'd rather not see the topic devolve into everyone commenting piecemeal with their favorite range ammo. I started the thread about RUAG zinc-plated steel cased ammo for the reasons specified.

orionz06
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
150 rounds downrange.
50 through my Glock 19
100 through my H&K P30

The zinc plating is slicker than snot. This is probably the smoothest loading ammo I've ever used. It does leave a light black dusting on your hands though.

Recoil was consistent and felt up to spec. No weird sights, sounds or smells while shooting. Casings piled up about 5' to my right.

Shooting the Glock 19 with a laser at 8 yards I had 10 rounds in a 1" target dot offhand.
The H&K put 5 rounds into the 1" dot at 15 yards off the bench.

Good stuff, I placed an order for another 2k rounds a few minutes ago.
:cool:

Good to know, ordering a case now.

TGS
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Thought I'd add my experience so far having only shot 500 rounds of the RUAG zinc-plated steel.

I went out shooting today and suffered a failure to extract. The case was swelled inside the chamber, but I was able to extract it when I closed the slide on it and firmly yanked it out.

Looks like the zinc-plating doesn't solve the whole expanding/inability to contract issue, unlike brass.

This was the first stoppage my P2000 has suffered in 13,900 rounds fired, with all of that being brass except for the 500 rounds of RUAG zinc-plated steel.

TGS
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
I've just about finished up my case, I've only got 100 rounds left.

In ~15,200 rounds, the only stoppages my P2000 has suffered have been with this ammo. This is the only steel case ammo I've ever fed it. I've had 3 FTEx out of 900 rounds of the RUAG Zinc-Plated steel, all solved by remedial action.

Also, BaiHu tried shooting a mag out of his P30. He just gave up, his P30 wouldn't extract any of them.

I'm wondering if the stepped, non-SAAMI chamber of the HK's have anything to do with it.

How have you other guys been fairing with your batches?

Thankfully, brass cased ammo isn't hard to find at good prices. A couple weeks ago I picked up 2000 rounds of brass cased Aguila 124gr for $182 per case.