PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Dealership Folks?

ToddG
02-04-2014, 07:44 AM
If you work for Jeep could you hit me up with a PM? Looking to buy within the next few months and wanted some insight. Thanks.

JHC
02-04-2014, 08:32 AM
The new Cherokee? I have high hopes for it's capability.

ToddG
02-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah. Not really my cup of tea but recent events have definitely caused me to rethink priorities on a number of things regarding a vehicle purchase.

Luke
02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm not a big fan of the new jeeps. If I was looking to get something to daily and have off road capabilities I would deffinatley not get one of those. I have no idea what your plans are for it though.

PPGMD
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah. Not really my cup of tea but recent events have definitely caused me to rethink priorities on a number of things regarding a vehicle purchase.

What are you thinking you have to drive through, ice, and light snow? Or are you thinking deep snow drifts?

Anyways something to consider, remember Snowmageddon before the Memphis class?

My BMW X3 with stock street tires had zero issues with the 3" of ice that I-40 became in Arkansas. Granted I didn't attempt to defy the laws of physics, and I was quite scared as at that point that was my first experience with winter weather being from Florida and all. But as long as I gave the AWD system power to work with it moved in the direction I pointed the steering wheel.

And it is quite sporty. Another option to consider are the AWD BMW sedans, and the Subarus.

jetfire
02-04-2014, 10:22 AM
the Subarus.

I quietly weep every night because Subaru doesn't import the tS or STi Foresters to the States. They brought it in for one year badged as the Sport Turbo but never again after that.

Nephrology
02-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I quietly weep every night because Subaru doesn't import the tS or STi Foresters to the States. They brought it in for one year badged as the Sport Turbo but never again after that.

The STi Forester is my dream car for my lesbian alter ego.

As it stands I am driving a RAV4 Sport, which is the dream car for my middle aged asian woman alter ego. I'm learning to settle, but I can't shake the feeling that Ani DiFranco would sound so much better in a Forester...

JHC
02-04-2014, 11:04 AM

I'd like to see them offer a model with 3 - 4 more inches of ground clearance and skid plates. ;) My son just shipped out to AK just got a 2005 Outback I've been driving a bit before it ships. Crimony that's a nice car. (I have a '13 Forester)

LittleLebowski
02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see them offer a model with 3 - 4 more inches of ground clearance and skid plates. ;) My son just shipped out to AK just got a 2005 Outback I've been driving a bit before it ships. Crimony that's a nice car. (I have a '13 Forester)

Does your Forester burn oil?

JHC
02-04-2014, 11:07 AM

No. (not yet? ;) )

FOUR
02-04-2014, 11:13 AM

The wife got an 06 forester last year to replace her 00 forester.

on the '00 Forester we did the head gastkets at 230K miles. because they're weak in that year.
the '06 has been strong and hasn't started burning oil. but it is something I keep an eye on.

and Tori Amos sounds awesome in it.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a buddy (friend of the forum so to speak) that had a '12 that burned oil and his dealership told him that was normal.

MichaelD
02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Ugh. I just made the mistake of Googling 'normal engine oil consumption'. The only thing worse than the average gun forum is the average car forum. Soooo much stupid out there!

The only opinion I have on new Jeeps is that I don't like the front-end styling of the new Cherokee, and I couldn't stand the feel of the steering wheel of the new Cherokee I sat in recently.

JHC
02-04-2014, 11:46 AM
The wife got an 06 forester last year to replace her 00 forester.

on the '00 Forester we did the head gastkets at 230K miles. because they're weak in that year.
the '06 has been strong and hasn't started burning oil. but it is something I keep an eye on.

I will watch that. I racked up 33K miles in my first 12 mos with the Forester so it won't take all that long (230K).

TCinVA
02-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I have a buddy (friend of the forum so to speak) that had a '12 that burned oil and his dealership told him that was normal.

My Charger used about a quart of oil between normally scheduled changes. Perfectly normal for the 3.5L V6 engine in that vehicle...even before the dumb bastard at the repair shop forgot to put oil back in the engine after a change. My experience with a number of Chrysler vehicles over the years leads me to expect their engines to use oil between changes, requiring a topping off if you're going for extended mileage changes. (5,000 miles and beyond)

FWIW, I know of Toyota and Honda products that do about the same. They were older engine designs that seemed to "use" (lose, burn, not sure which) a certain amount of oil even when operating normally.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
My Dodge 4.7 with 143k miles doesn't use oil.

JV_
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Using oil between changes is common outside Chrysler products too. My sister's BMW X5 (v8) used quite a bit.

TCinVA
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Using oil between changes is common outside Chrysler products too. My sister's BMW X5 (v8) used quite a bit.

The previous generation BMW M5 (V-10 motor) drank oil at a rate comparable to the drinking habits of a college fraternity, from what I understand.

My Dodge 4.7 with 143k miles doesn't use oil.

My father has a 1997 Dakota pickup with the same motor and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't use much (if any) oil either. I know some of their 4 cylinder motors didn't use much oil either. Some motors seem to be set up to use oil, some don't. Without being an engineer I can't comment intelligently on why.

rudy99
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM

My 2007 Chevy Silverado burns oil and apparently the amount it burns is within the limits of acceptability for GM. That is the first vehicle I've owned that burned oil (out of 9 vehicles).

orionz06
02-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I understand Subarus to eat oil, but that's from a friend who works at a dealer and like asking a politician about guns.

My 1.8T, I5 2.5, 3.2 VR6, and 2.0T do not eat any oil. The 2.5 is the wife's, the rest were tuned and driven by someone who treats the gas pedal like an on/off switch. I also use a 10k drain interval.

ToddG
02-04-2014, 12:54 PM
If this gets back on topic, someone pm me. :cool:

justintime
02-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I just went through a super long and agonizing process of finding my dad a four door 2013 used rubicon. Its amazing how fast the jeeps move off the lots! Also I probably test drove over 20 different jeeps with similar mileage and none of them were the same.

GJM
02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Reading this thread, I must be "bi," as the only thing we have scattered around the country besides a 4 Runner or Tacoma, are a turbo'd Forrester and a Rubicon.

I am not sure whether TLG is going full retard or just stalking me between a Sig, Beretta 1301 and now this Jeep talk.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Rubicon_zpsab5c2990.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Rubicon_zpsab5c2990.jpg.html)

JM Campbell
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
If this gets back on topic, someone pm me. :cool:

You've got mail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

jetfire
02-04-2014, 01:40 PM

My '07 is just now starting to. Which reminds me, I really need to check the oil.

Nephrology
02-04-2014, 02:21 PM

Burning with jealousy.

vaspence
02-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Anything you'd care to share? May help get this back on track. Or not..

MD7305
02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
SRT Cherokee for the win. It is a beast.

da6dspanburg
02-06-2014, 07:55 AM
I just spent last Saturday walking all over the DC AutoShow at the DC Convention Center, trying to find a SUV that I fit in. (6'4" with long legs). I really want a SUV w/ 4WD not just AWD. The ones that I fit in the best were the Ford Explorer and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think I tried to sit in almost every SUV there. I really, really fit in the Crew Cab Pickups, but that got shot down as soon as I got home.... :(

I wanted to try the new Tahoe, but it hasn't been officially introduced, so you could only look at it.

ToddG
02-06-2014, 08:32 AM
We're heading to Baltimore auto show today between treatments. I'm 99% sure I'm getting a Cherokee Trail Hawk but want to see one and sit in it and all that crazy pre purchase stuff.

GJM
02-06-2014, 09:24 AM
I get the Jeep thing, and there isn't anything much better for crawling over rocks around Moab. As someone with one jeep, but having owned 4 Runners since the first body style that was a glorified pick-up, and thinks the 4 Runner is the answer to everything SUV oriented, what do you like about this Jeep over a 4 Runner? Not doubting your analysis -- just interested in it.

ToddG
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Smaller, a little sportier on the road. Lots of neat tech. Better gas mileage. Cheaper.

Had an '03 4runner with a V8 and liked it a lot.

BN
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I got my first Toyota in 1977 and have had at least one ever since. That's not a misprint, 1977.

I think the answer to any vehicle question is Toyota. ;)

LittleLebowski
02-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Guys, Todd is fairly committed to the Jeep choice.

NEPAKevin
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Yesterday, I was talking to one of our guys who was making alternative plans to go to his next chemo treatment which is scheduled on a morning with bad weather in the forecast. From what I gathered, during this last storm, he had the unpleasant revelation that Ford's new electric AWD system has some "curious" features which basically left him sitting on a patch of ice in his driveway.

texasaggie2005
02-06-2014, 12:09 PM
We're heading to Baltimore auto show today between treatments. I'm 99% sure I'm getting a Cherokee Trail Hawk but want to see one and sit in it and all that crazy pre purchase stuff.

In orange?

JM Campbell
02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
In orange?

You sir win the intetwebz for 4 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Bigguy
02-06-2014, 12:36 PM
In orange?

They sell these at Bog Lots's?

JHC
02-06-2014, 12:40 PM
In orange?

Oh I love that.

GJM
02-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Guys, Todd is fairly committed to the Jeep choice.

Perhaps, but that certainly shouldn't preclude the opinions by those who own this stuff, given Todd is about to lay out some serious cash on a purchase?

My experience with our Rubicon is that it is the bomb for crawling over rocks within ten miles of home. Initial quality was horrendous, it took us several years to work through squawks the dealer couldn't fix, the engine sounds and performs to a third world standard, the fuel economy is horrendous, and it is frightening to drive on the highway faster than 60. Whenever a truck passes from the opposite direction, the hood pops up like it is going vertical only to be restrained by the two catches. Remote requires you to be within a few feet to open the doors. I think we are up to 4,000 miles on the odometer.

His model is hopefully different and better.

Luke
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
All the new jeeps (and other makes) that are new are not that great in my
Opinion. I see so much bad stuff going on with all these new cars and they are just put together so cheaply. If I was gonna get another jeep it would be pre JK. Jeep went downhill fast with the JK.

TORCH2J
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Though you may be wedded to the thought of a Jeep, from personal experience, I'd recommend something like a Toyota Highlander. I bought the former HH6 one in 2009 that was just a base model with AWD/4WD. It's been an incredible vehicle for light trail offroading, and handles extremely well in the wet and snow with just regular tires. Fuel economy averages around 20, it hasn't had any mechanical/body/engine issues other than changing lightbulbs and it is noticeably bigger on the inside than the Grand Cherokee. I just rode in a 2013 Grand Cherokee the other day and I'd still take the Toyota.

ToddG
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, all. My attempt to get some Jeep dealership advice worked great so the thread has run its course.

JHC
03-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Does anyone know if the issues with the new Cherokee got sorted out?

LittleLebowski
03-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know if the issues with the new Cherokee got sorted out?

Post moved and yup.

JM Campbell
03-21-2016, 12:47 PM
I work next to our Jeep franchise, from what I understand there is still issues with the computer system. Caveat: I don't service them but do see a crap ton of them next door in service, the service dept is usually on a 2 month out appointment schedule. It is a large dealer with 1k inventory between Chrysler Jeep and dodge which all use similar tech/comp systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JHC
03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Post moved and yup.

That's great to hear. He was so amped about that new ride and then . . .

Thanks.

Gun Mutt
03-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Fwiw, I sell Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge & Ram. If I can ever be of assistance, give a shout.