PDA

View Full Version : Sig P239 Springs

TGS
06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi,

Just got back from the range trying out a 12 year old 9mm 239 I picked up this week. Neither of the two mags would lock the slide reliably when shooting, so I'm sure I need to replace those.

However, I noticed that the slide does not go home with anything near the force of my P2000.....or any handgun I've owned, for that matter. This is my first Sig, so I rented a 9mm 229 to try out as well. Same thing.

With my 9mm P2000 that has over 11,000 rounds through it, I hit the slide release and "WHACK!" that thing slams shut with authority. The Sigs I shot tonight just slid into place, though. No authority. When shooting, I also noticed that they took a lot longer to get back on target compared to the P2000, even though the recoil felt like nothing. I'm guessing that might be a product of the metal frames and especially heavier slide on the 229. Still, I wonder if that's the recoil spring causing it as well.

Do Sig slides just go home very softly, or should I look at replacing the recoil spring assembly as well when I order springs for the mags?

Odin Bravo One
06-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Assuming excessive carbon fouling and crud build up along the rails is not an issue, then yes, replace the recoil spring. The 239 slide should "Whack" as your Hk slide when released.