PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly/Balisong knives

Slavex
01-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Up here in Kanada they are prohibited, but trainers aren't. So I recently picked up a pair of cheap ones. Man, I'd forgotten just how fun these things are to play with, and great bonus, no severed tendons this time when I mess up!
Anyone on here an aficionado with them? I used to have a moderate talent with them, and actually had them recommended to me years ago as a good therapy for hand and arm injury.

GardoneVT
01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Up here in Kanada they are prohibited, but trainers aren't. So I recently picked up a pair of cheap ones. Man, I'd forgotten just how fun these things are to play with, and great bonus, no severed tendons this time when I mess up!
Anyone on here an aficionado with them? I used to have a moderate talent with them, and actually had them recommended to me years ago as a good therapy for hand and arm injury.

Benchmade is a great brand, as is Brady Co. I used to have a Model 51 for EDC in my .mil days before I got a clue about how utterly useless they are for defensive tasks.Dated the wrong girl and she stole the damn thing, and I haven't replaced it since.

I may snag a Model 52 in the months to come just for kicks.

1slow
01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
A great low tech way to create a folder that does not close on your fingers. Hard to get out and running in grappling range vs other folder designs. YMMV.

rob_s
02-02-2014, 08:06 AM
I love balis. First one I ever had I won at the county fair ring toss. Had it all the way through college and it's probably still in a box somewhere. In college I worked at a shop that was a Benchmade dealer and got to play with them all day long in-between customers. Got pretty good at the jazz hands stuff. Wound up owning a neat tanto-style bali that I sold for $300 a couple of years ago.

Pretty impractical in general. I still have a shorter Benchmade with titanium handles and a pocket clip that I carry sometimes. Kind of my version of a bbq gun. I should probably change out the blade for a bottle opener or cigar cutter.

LHS
02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
My old man had a couple of the old Pacific Cutlery balis, and I lusted after them. So imagine my delight when, at a knife show, Benchmade was selling factory 2nds for $30. I snagged one and never looked back.

Although, after the weekend show, while riding back home in the back of the Suburban, I was surprised to find myself cutting slices off a block of cheese. "Hey Dad, This is the first thing I've ever cut with this knife besides myself!"

They're not very practical, and the annoyance of having most places consider them switchblades doesn't help, but they're fun as heck. I've had mine almost 20 years now, and I still play with it frequently.

Slavex
02-02-2014, 08:28 PM
no worries on carrying one up here for any reason, the ones with sharp edges are against the law. My Presidio deploys much faster anyhow. I just like playing with them. they are great for keeping hands and fingers nimble.

LHS
02-02-2014, 09:25 PM
no worries on carrying one up here for any reason, the ones with sharp edges are against the law. My Presidio deploys much faster anyhow. I just like playing with them. they are great for keeping hands and fingers nimble.

I basically use mine to keep my hands busy. It's a fun toy.

Chuck Whitlock
02-02-2014, 09:44 PM
I carried one throughout my high school years. Don't have one anymore.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM
My wife had one when I met her. I have no idea where she got it. It was just a cheap Pakistani thing but it completed the look she was going for, I guess.

I remember finding it funny that that was the knife she carried, considering it's a prohibited weapon here. Not that she would have been remotely aware of that, which sort of highlights the silliness of the law.

Seven_Sicks_Two
02-05-2014, 02:23 AM
I watched a guy get the kitten kicked out of him while trying to do hand ballet with one to intimidate another guy. The other guy punched him in the face, repeatedly, before the knife ever had a chance to be a factor. That being said, I still think they are cool.