PDA

View Full Version : Subdued 2 dot tritium rear sights?

Elbowtko
01-29-2014, 02:27 AM
I am looking get find something similar to Trijicon HDs, but with a yellow set of tritium vials on the rear.

I have looked into the Spartan Tactical set, which are the hack front + pro operator yellow rears

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/spartan-tactical

While I noticed they meet a majority of my criteria, the vials on the rear look to be the exact same size as the green one in the front (anyone can confirm this?)

I wouldn't want two bigger yellow dots overwhelming my green front vial during low-light (bigger because if they are the same size and they are closer they appear bigger.)

My question is, are they also smaller AS WELL AS dimmer? Or in practice does the dim quality already do the trick?

I'm aware of using a sharpie, but I'm wondering if this is out there. (Buying a 130$ set of sights just to sharpie it seems :eek:)

I noticed a similar desire from this article

http://pistol-training.com/excluded-pages/handgun-low-light-essentials-p2

JJN
01-29-2014, 09:15 AM
I got a really good deal on these from DVOR and like them a lot. The real trit is not overwhelming at all. The picture exaggerates the brightness a lot. I think Dvor has them for $82 right now. I got them for ~$65-70 a couple months ago, but haven't seen that price again.
Jon

Chuck Haggard
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
The green front/yellow rear on the Ameriglo sights leaves you with a very clean sight picture in the dark. The yellow rear dots are subdued compared to the green front.

By rights this should be the Chuck combo since I was running it quite a bit longer than Spartan, but that wouldn't sound as cool and tactically I guess.

vcdgrips
01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
No they should be called the VCD Sights because I was running them before Chuck ;)

All joking aside, many on this board have been running .125 and .140 green fronts, painted orange (factory and homemade) mated with the Pro Operator rear since 09 at least.
I know I was using an orange painted .125 front ("hot tamale" colored polish from WM) in Jan of 2010 when I took AFHF in Memphis. I also know that Chuck was kind enough to take my call re the virtues of the orange being round or square as I had both and was looking to standardize sometime that Spring or Summer.

Spencer Keepers and GJM were early adopters of the "Spartan" set up and close variations as well. I am sure there are others. I have found Ameriglo exceedingly easy to work with re buying fronts and backs a la carte.

YMMV,

David Barnes
VCD Grips

freshilla
01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I've been looking for the exact same sight configuration for my P226 :(

Elbowtko
01-29-2014, 06:18 PM
No they should be called the VCD Sights because I was running them before Chuck ;)

All joking aside, many on this board have been running .125 and .140 green fronts, painted orange (factory and homemade) mated with the Pro Operator rear since 09 at least.
I know I was using an orange painted .125 front ("hot tamale" colored polish from WM) in Jan of 2010 when I took AFHF in Memphis. I also know that Chuck was kind enough to take my call re the virtues of the orange being round or square as I had both and was looking to standardize sometime that Spring or Summer.

Spencer Keepers and GJM were early adopters of the "Spartan" set up and close variations as well. I am sure there are others. I have found Ameriglo exceedingly easy to work with re buying fronts and backs a la carte.

YMMV,

David Barnes
VCD Grips

Interesting! Perhaps I could pick your brain a little then.

I was also wondering about the virtues of an orange circle vs square. I believe the square front is the CAP front sight, vs the Hack circle sight.

Do you think a square front is better with a square notch? and vice versa with u notch and circle front?

It seems like if I wanted to go with a square notch, pro-operator is the way to go (paired with a front of my choice).

If I wanted to go with a U notch, I would have to wait for trijicon HDs to come out with yellow rears (paired with only a circle front)

P.S. Chuck Tactical sounds the best :D

md8232
01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Interesting! Perhaps I could pick your brain a little then.

I was also wondering about the virtues of an orange circle vs square. I believe the square front is the CAP front sight, vs the Hack circle sight.

Do you think a square front is better with a square notch? and vice versa with u notch and circle front?

It seems like if I wanted to go with a square notch, pro-operator is the way to go (paired with a front of my choice).

If I wanted to go with a U notch, I would have to wait for trijicon HDs to come out with yellow rears (paired with only a circle front)

P.S. Chuck Tactical sounds the best :D

I ordered one each of the circle and square. Preferred the circle, and hunted furiously for the single yellow dot rears. Wish the Pro iDots were still available.

TheCrimsonMane
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
I ordered one each of the circle and square. Preferred the circle, and hunted furiously for the single yellow dot rears. Wish the Pro iDots were still available.

Their online reviews kind of suck, but I rolled the dice and ordered a set of orange front, yellow trit rear from http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/AGS-GL-20.html. Ordered them on the 20th, they showed up yesterday. Got a set of Spartan Tactical sights I ordered from optics planet that showed up yesterday as well. The yellow tritium on the pro I dot rear is a bit dimmer then the rears on the Spartans.

vcdgrips
01-29-2014, 11:35 PM
I have only used the circle and square fronts with non U rears. While I like the square fronts presuming equal availability, I have not noticed any difference in terms of speed or accuracy on the guns that have circle fronts when comparing historic drill scores etc.
I gravitated a bit more toward square if for no other reason that they was more of the orange for my eye to pick up at speed.

sammage
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I have only used the circle and square fronts with non U rears. While I like the square fronts presuming equal availability, I have not noticed any difference in terms of speed or accuracy on the guns that have circle fronts when comparing historic drill scores etc.
I gravitated a bit more toward square if for no other reason that they was more of the orange for my eye to pick up at speed.
This has been my preference as well...the i=orange square "pops" more to my eyes, compared to the circle. Not a huge difference.

littlejerry
01-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Warren tactical has both 1 and 2 dot rear sights. They use yellow tritium which isn't as bright as green.

Elbowtko
02-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Do you know by any chance if the Hack front vs the Cap front have different POI/POA? While the heights and rears of the gun will be the same. Do you "cover target with dot" or do you shoot "half bullseye"?

vcdgrips
02-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I do not know re poi/poa. I cover the target with the dot.

noguns
02-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Do you know by any chance if the Hack front vs the Cap front have different POI/POA? While the heights and rears of the gun will be the same. Do you "cover target with dot" or do you shoot "half bullseye"?

I have an ameriglo front cap on a g19. Rear factory glock tritium sight with the same height as a comparable ameriglo. With 124 +p gold dot I use the top edge to "split" the target in half at 20 yards and it impacts right at the edge of the sight.

john556
02-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Warren tactical has both 1 and 2 dot rear sights. They use yellow tritium which isn't as bright as green.

Warren Tactical uses either green or amber for their rear sights. The amber has roughly half the longevity of the green and yellow sights.

Elbowtko
02-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all your answers

I decided to go with the Ameriglo Orange Cap front sight and the Pro operator rears in yellow! Now hopefully I won't destroy the rear vials while installing it.