PDA

View Full Version : Another Year, Another Eyepro Thread...

Chris Rhines
01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
So my last set of prescription shooting glasses was recently trashed by a marauding FN-FAL Para. I wasn't 100% delighted with my Decot Revels, so I thought I'd ask around a bit.

I'm looking for a set of Rx-compatible frames with good side protection, and earpieces that are low-profile enough to fit comfortably under my ear defenders.

They have to be direct Rx, I really don't want to use Rx inserts. They need interchangeable lenses, or else need to be cheap enough that I can spring for three pairs in different tints.

It would be nice if they were fashionable enough to double as ordinary sunglasses.

Oakley and Rudy Project are on my kitten-list. Anyone else I should look at?

Thanks!

jholen
01-25-2014, 01:39 PM
I love my Rudy Projects, though mine are perscription with transition lenses (with extra active transitioning - basically, there is always *some* tint, but they also work while driving better than normal and tinted fully appear as normal sunglasses).

Benefit for me was, I got to use my vision coverage through work as the insurance covered the frames and lenses!

trailrunner
01-25-2014, 04:04 PM
I've always liked Oakleys for running and biking and general wear. They just fit right, and their optics were great. I also used them for shooting, but one thing that I didn't like was that after about 45 minutes, their thick frame underneath my ear pro would start to hurt my head.

I had a pair of Rudys a long time ago, and liked them, but switched to Oakleys because I got a good discount on Oakley. But I've needed reading glasses for a while, and recently I noticed that Rudy offered bifocal glasses, so I tried a pair, and have been very happy. I can now read my bike computer and my running watch, and when I'm driving, I can also read my phone and my GPS (which of course I don't do when the car is moving).

I don't like their frames quite as much Oakleys, but the RPs are perfectly fine. A benefit from the Rudys that I didn't anticipate is that the thin frame is much more comfortable under my ear pro. I also bought several lenses (which can be a bit pricey), but now I have clear safety lenses, yellow lenses, and a couple shades of darker lenses for differing light conditions.

Chris Rhines
01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I might not have been clear. Rudy Project and Oakley are off my list, outside consideration, I don't want anything to do with them. I'm looking for options other than those two.

Erik
01-25-2014, 04:22 PM
The only ones I could find that really look normal (my version, anyway) as sunglasses were Smith Optics Director Tactical. https://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/sunglasses/Mens/Director+Tactical/view/ They're not that cheap, but they look good, and are very comfortable under ear pro. I really like these and would buy them as my sunglasses even if I didn't shoot. They don't have interchangable lenses, though, and three sets would be a stretch. ESS has some nice options that look good and have interchangable lenses. http://www.esseyepro.com/Ballistic-Sunglasses_19_category.html I have the CDI Max and they are comfortable under earpro for short periods but I found that for longer sessions they were irritating. It looks like they have changed the ear piece since I tried them, so that might be different today. The Smith Optics are the only ones I got with prescription lenses, but ESS offers that option.

jholen
01-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Sorry, I might not have been clear. Rudy Project and Oakley are off my list, outside consideration, I don't want anything to do with them. I'm looking for options other than those two.My bad.

ffhounddog
01-25-2014, 07:16 PM
I wear ESS Naros or Revison sawflys with the RX insert. I like that if something happens I can just replace the lens and save the RX insert.

Chris Rhines
01-25-2014, 09:17 PM
My bad.

No worries. Like I said, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I like the look of the Smith Optics quite a bit. I might get a set of clear ones, just to see how they do.

Drang
01-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Being a tightwad, I got a set of $9.99 safety glasses frames at Walmart w/Rx lenses. I'll never be the most fashionable guy at the range, but they work.

jholen
01-26-2014, 01:25 AM
No worries. Like I said, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I like the look of the Smith Optics quite a bit. I might get a set of clear ones, just to see how they do.No worries, I just read your post too fast.

Honestly, I would look around or call around to your local eye shops and see if something works with your insurance. I was shocked at how cheap I got mine, they were less than $100 all said and done. The key is, having them order the frames with no prescription lenses, and then having the local shop do the prescription work.

Super J
01-26-2014, 07:13 AM
I have the ESS with prescription inserts. No complaints with them as I'm satisfied with the price, convenience and comfort

Slavex
01-27-2014, 12:14 AM
If you want the best you can get,http://www.pillasport.com/

Chris Rhines
01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
If you want the best you can get,http://www.pillasport.com/

Holy hopping hippos! Please tell me that those prices are in Australian dollars or something?

JV_
01-27-2014, 08:16 AM
The Magneto RX ... $2,100.00 (http://pillastore.com/The-Magneto-RX-MagnRx.htm)

Wow.

LittleLebowski
01-27-2014, 08:28 AM
The Magneto RX ... $2,100.00 (http://pillastore.com/The-Magneto-RX-MagnRx.htm)

Wow.

Non prescription version is noticeably cheaper, though :D

JV_
01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Yea, it's cheaper @ $1500.

LittleLebowski
01-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Yea, it's cheaper @ $1500.

I'm asking Slavex for a pair :D

JV_
01-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I'd be real pissed when my Gen4 chucked some brass in to my eyepro and scratched them.

Erik
01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
When you have to travel to the '80s to buy stuff, it get's expensive.

MEH
01-27-2014, 08:54 AM
I am pretty happy with Smith Optics. Very good coverage and protection. I have two pair of Smith Director's. One is distance only, setup as sunglasses. The other is clear, setup with mono vision for shooting. I still have my Rudy Rydons and Noyz, but have inserts for them and I do not like inserts.

LittleLebowski
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I'd be real pissed when my Gen4 chucked some brass in to my eyepro and scratched them.

Slavex will get you a new pair.

JV_
01-27-2014, 09:38 AM
My solution is cheaper than postage. For indoor ranges, I'm using $2 3M glasses.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00166OALC

fn/form
01-27-2014, 10:03 AM
I have four pairs of The Wiley X "Jake" glasses. Two pair clear, two pair sunglasses accumulated over the past 5yrs, and I still use them all.

The Jake has a pop-in plastic-framed foam gasket that is awesome for wind and dust control. The model is part of their "Climate Control" series. The first time I wore the gasket to our windy, desert-like 3-gun matches I was ecstatic. Everyone else was rubbing their eyes and wiping their lenses down, but not me. They also work well in cold weather, keeping the cold, dry air from whipping your eyes. Also when used on ATVs or boats. The lenses are semi-wrapped and intrude on very little of my peripheral awareness. The frames are ANSI Z87, so I can use them at work. From a functional standpoint I'll be hard pressed to choose a better design for me. I use Croakies Terra Cord on every pair. I can cinch the gasket against my face without discomfort, and the Terras have saved many drops or knocks. Most of the time I don't use the gasket insert.

Head size and nose bridge have a lot to do with all-day, active use comfort. If you're near a metro area you should be able to find a stocking OEM store or optometrist so you can check out at least some of the models and frame sizes. Locally I have an Oakley Vault store, Wiley and Rudy stocking optometrists.

Prone rifle head position is a big consideration.

Pupillary Distance and Offset are also big factors. PD is distance between pupil centers, and the offset is the actual measurement from the bridge of your nose. My pupils have a 1.5mm offset. Make sure the vendor asks for and uses this offset. A sneaky way of getting the RX info is to tell the optometrist your employer is purchasing RX respirator inserts.

One huge advantage to RX is the option to choose anti-glare coating. I don't know why Oakleys, SO and such aren't made with this to begin with. It really helps to cut down on reflections without the shine of mirrored lenses. If I had great uncorrected vision I'd pay to have the lenses coated. I also choose the anti-scratch coating. It does help. My first pair lacked these and it shows.

I keep hearing about the new RX lens curving process. Rudy Project is using it, and my favored vendor is as well.

I get all my RX safety glasses from http://www.rx-safety.com/. No affiliation, just happy with the service over the past 5yrs.

I had one insert system, the Wiley Talon. I didn't like the weight, position or the double dirty effect at the end of a training day (light in your eyes). I had to remove the insert to clean both sides of both sets of lenses. The combined weight was a bit farther out on the bridge of my nose due to insert/eyelash interference.

HopetonBrown
01-27-2014, 01:27 PM
My solution is cheaper than postage. For indoor ranges, I'm using $2 3M glasses.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00166OALC

Ever look out the same window every day, then they clean it, and you can't believe how much clearer it is? $2 glasses use super cheap plastic that's not as clear as $100 + glasses.

JV_
01-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Ever look out the same window every day, then they clean it, and you can't believe how much clearer it is? $2 glasses use super cheap plastic that's not as clear as $100 + glasses.

I have a pair of Rudy Project Noyz glasses too, with multiple sets of lenses.

Chris Rhines
01-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I am pretty happy with Smith Optics. Very good coverage and protection. I have two pair of Smith Director's. One is distance only, setup as sunglasses. The other is clear, setup with mono vision for shooting.

Can you tell me more about the monovision setup? I talked a bit about this with my optometrist yesterday, and I'm curious how it's working for you.

Slavex
01-27-2014, 09:07 PM
I wear Oakley Radars actually, I drool over my buddies Pillas. I was supposed to be getting a complete set from them for this season of shooting, and then I'm not. However if you can afford the absolute best, they are certainly them. I thought the Oakley's were clear lenses with no distortion, looking through the Pillas however told a different story. And the frames, oh my god the frames, they are amazing. The quick change lenses the lightness of the frames, incredible glasses.

MEH
01-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Monovision works pretty well on the range for me. Takes a few minutes to adjust when switching from regular glasses with the monovision lenses and vice versa. I don't really like having special glasses to shoot with though --- sucks getting old. I have heard of some who wear mono full time. I couldn't do that. Much more than a few hours and I think my eyes would rebel. I really think a red dot is in my future.

Lomshek
02-01-2014, 01:41 AM
I've always liked Oakleys for running and biking and general wear. They just fit right, and their optics were great. I also used them for shooting, but one thing that I didn't like was that after about 45 minutes, their thick frame underneath my ear pro would start to hurt my head.

I have a set of Oakley Flak Jackets that have slim enough ear pieces to not bother me. I do use muffs with fairly "thick" cushioned cups to help get the best seal possible.