PDA

View Full Version : Superposed

BLR
01-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Looking for a new quail gun.

Considering a Superposed (Belgium, of course). Any thoughts? Tam?

LSP972
01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Beware of the "salt guns". Some vintages (mid-60s, IIRC) had salt-impregnated stocks that caused predictable issues. Don't recall now exactly how they became salt-impregnated, but there is a lot of information regarding it out there.

Otherwise, very nice stackbarrels. One of the small-gauge frame examples would make a perfect upland gun… and IIRC, that's what the Superposed was originally designed to be.

LSP972
01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Here ya go; I had it archived and forgot about it.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=203170

Clyde from Carolina
01-25-2014, 06:35 PM
The book Hemingway's Guns has a nice chapter on the Superposed.

The authors point out the design was JMB's last patent, awarded when he was 71 years old. According to a friend of EH, Papa H. won his gun from noted pro shooter Ben Gallagher in a live bird shoot in France. Gallagher was a friend and colleague of Val Browning. There appears to be a lot of circumstantial evidence for this "story" in the form of correspondence - Hemingway knew Gallagher and it is interesting to speculate his gun may have come directly from Val Browning via Gallagher.

The gun was choked for short and medium ranges and was described as "a short, handy piece."

NETim
01-25-2014, 09:00 PM
The aluminum receiver Citoris make a heckuva huntin' gun. No, not nearly the panache of the old Superposed but they are built in Japan by Belgians. :)

I'd steer clear of the salt guns but I don't remember their vintage.

Tamara
01-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Considering a Superposed (Belgium, of course). Any thoughts? Tam?

I'm not really shotgun people, although I have had the hots for a handy little English-stocked Superposed Superlight before even though I need one like a hen needs a flag.

BLR
01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks LSP - I'd forgot about that little issue.

Tam, we need to hit up the Louisville gun show sometime.

I bet it would be an education to debrief at the BBC

KevH
01-30-2014, 01:33 AM
I just sold a 30" Superposed Lightning last month. Nice little gun, but there are better options out there. Folks working on the Superposed and carrying parts are becoming fewer and fewer.

Having shot a whole bucket of shotguns in my lifetime, I prefer the old standby Remington 1100 and Remington 11/Browning Auto 5 to just about all others.

To me it is the perfect size and weight be it in 12 or 20. I also have a very handy little Remington 31 16 gauge which would be perfect for quail. I paid all of $150 for mine a few years ago.

shooter220
01-30-2014, 06:08 AM
My go-to skeet gun is a 1978 production Browning Citori Skeet. It breaks ALL the rules of a contemporary skeet gun, shorter barrels (26), fixed choke, beavertail forend. Pretty much the opposite of anything you buy now. ANd I completely love it.

Lately I have seen some Superposeds going for insane prices (as low as $600), but I suspect those are the salt vintage that others have referenced. One piece of advice - don't think you will buy a gun and put new barrels/stocks on it later - that will cost you a fortune because any replacement parts later will cost you a premium AND you will be paying for a lot of handfitting.

-shooter

BLR
01-30-2014, 07:48 AM
They are lovely guns, and IIRC were priced above similar grade 21s, Parkers, and Smiths of the time.

I'm currently searching for a good example.

Tamara
01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks LSP - I'd forgot about that little issue.

Tam, we need to hit up the Louisville gun show sometime.

I bet it would be an education to debrief at the BBC

Oh, man, National Gun Day is my kryptonite. My first time there I was able to, by stretching my fingers really wide, touch a Savage .45 and an M1903 Mk.I with the Pedersen Device with the same hand at once. Gun Nerdvana.