PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been made?

ubervic
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Have you ever had an acquaintance discover that you are carrying by their inadvertently placing a hand/arm on or around your concealed firearm?

How did they react, and how did you react?

MechEng
06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Twice.
First time was at a family reunion. My little nephew was happy to see me, ran up to give me a hug around the waste, and rammed his forehead right into my handgun. I was carrying AIWB so my sister yelled out (after she stopped laughing) do you have your gun in your pants? It wasn't a big deal since half the adult male members of my family where carrying.

The second time, I had been dating my wife (girlfriend at the time) for about a year before she figured it out. Lets just say she was in the mood to play grab-ass and discovered my handgun. She new I owned a crap-load of guns and liked to kill bambi but always seamed on the fence when it came to RKBA. I was sort of playing the game "Lets see how long I can hide the fact that I'm carrying from her". She actually discovered my handgun several times before but thought it was my cell phone or blackberry. I thought she was going to phreak out when she eventually discovered it, and that would be the end of our relationship, but she just rolled her eyes and said " You are like my dad, he has loaded guns stashed all over his house."

ubervic
06-10-2011, 07:28 PM
MechEng-

Thanks, and I'm sensing that your whole circle of friends/family are probably carrying at maybe 50% of the time.

I'm wondering about those folks (like me) who carry and must be super-discreet because no one else in their circle is carrying.

Anybody out there in that mode, and who's been made?

NickA
06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
rammed his forehead right into my handgun.
LOL...I (or my daughter) feels your pain on that one, a few different times.
Also got made by the MIL one time. She gave me a hug, feels the heater at 3:30 or so. She kinda laughs and says "Tu pistola, eh?" (She speaks limited English to go with my limited Spanish). She's OK with it, they grew up in and still travel to Mexico, so she definitely understands the need for a means to defend yourself.

SecondsCount
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I got made by a friend while working on his truck. I was standing on his front tire leaning into his engine compartment when I slipped toward my gun/right hand side. He reached out to help break my fall and got a handful. Almost immediately he pulled his hand away and had a surprised look on his face. He knows I carry but he is not into it, more of a hunter/Fudd type.

DonovanM
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm wondering about those folks (like me) who carry and must be super-discreet because no one else in their circle is carrying.

I have to be, the rest of my family hates it, and my the rest of my family I mean every single goddamn one of them other than my stepdad (who owns two .22's but hasn't shot them in 40 years) who doesn't see why I need to, but seems kind of ambivalent.

I've only been made once and that was on purpose as he and I were going across to Oregon, so I had to unload and stow my piece in its case.

At family events I'm usually carrying strong side so I make sure to avoid bending over and things like that. I've brought it up before, before I knew any better, so they do know I carry but haven't really made me yet so far. I'm working on DIYing an appendix holster. Can't wait. Then noone will know. Then if anyone asks if I'm carrying, I can just pat my strong side hip and say nope!

TCinVA
06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
A couple of times.

1. I was doing my typical good grandson routine (doing yardwork, moving a flower bed, fixing the car...anything the little lady wants done) as is my habit, and on Sunday after church she wanted to go to the Western Sizzlin in Danville, Va. On the way in we ran into my paternal grandparents and stopped for a moment to chat. Not long into the pleasantries, my maternal grandmother decided it was appropriate to announce at an uncomfortably loud volume that I was carrying "that stupid gun again." That section of the restaurant stopped dead. Awkward.

2. A bud of mine from high school was being thrown a surprise birthday party. When I arrived his mother came out of nowhere and gave me a hug from the side. The right side. Where my Glock 26 was riding.

"Are you carrying a gun?"

Party stops.

"No, Sally...I'm not carrying a gun. Where do you want me to put the present?"

I was telling the truth. I wasn't carrying a gun...I was carrying two.

MechEng
06-12-2011, 01:10 PM
MechEng-

Thanks, and I'm sensing that your whole circle of friends/family are probably carrying at maybe 50% of the time.

Actually I'm in the same boat as you are. My old friends & family, back in rural PA where I'm originally from, know I carry. Other than a few LEO friends and guys at work, no one knows I carry down here in NoVA where I currently live. At one time I was extremely paranoid about being "Made" because I was printing, so a few summers ago I did a little social experiment. While hanging out with some of my NoVA friends at social events (picnics, BBQs, parties, etc...), I wore lighter shirts that would print more that the usual. No one had a clue and no one ever noticed...or said anything. Not even my LEO friends. In fact I discussed "printing" with a NoVA LEO friend and he said "You could print like crazy and no one would notice around here. People are generally clueless about these things. A cop would probably notice though."

For the record I believe it's still prudent to eliminate printing as much as possible but it's not something I'm going to stress out over. We are probably more susceptible to being "Made" by a friendly hug than having someone identify your gun because it prints. This is one of the reasons I carry AIWB. With a carry position farther around the waist there is always the risk they could discover your gun with their hands if they go in low with the hug. With AIWB, if your handgun jabs someone in the gut during a friendly hug, you can just play it off as a cell phone. And, you can always give someone one of those awkward "lean forward, only touching at the chest, pat on the back" kind of hugs.

jslaker
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I've somehow never been made.

There's been more than one occasion where I've been around friends or family members that at least intellectually know I carry for several hours that have made mention that they had no clue I'd had a gun on me all that time when I decided to unholster since we were going to be lounging around for a while, though.

fuse
06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I was carrying two.

I am going to use this someday, if needed

jetfire
06-12-2011, 11:11 PM
A couple of times, and always the same way - getting a hug from a female friend. Two different women, and they always want to put their hand right over the gun.

There are worse ways to get made. :cool:

turbolag23
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM

i'm going to have to use that one now..

There's been more than one occasion where I've been around friends or family members that at least intellectually know I carry for several hours that have made mention that they had no clue I'd had a gun on me all that time when I decided to unholster since we were going to be lounging around for a while, though.

thats happened to me before but my dads usually the one blabbing it to my relatives "i bet you couldnt even tell matt has a gun on him right now". i then thank my dad and tell him if i wanted people to know i'd open carry.

NickA
06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Local radio guy tells a story about interviewing Ted Nugent when he worked in Michigan. The station brass freaked when told that Nugent always carried a gun. Apparently Ted assured them that he never carried "A" gun.

JeffJ
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
A couple of times, and always the same way - getting a hug from a female friend. Two different women, and they always want to put their hand right over the gun.

There are worse ways to get made. :cool:

Were you carrying AIWB? :)

jetfire
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
That would be one hell of a hug.

Josh Runkle
06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
i'm going to have to use that one now..

thats happened to me before but my dads usually the one blabbing it to my relatives "i bet you couldnt even tell matt has a gun on him right now". i then thank my dad and tell him if i wanted people to know i'd open carry.

My dad is the exact same way. It's terrible. Aside from his inability to keep his mouth shut around friends and family, I've never had anyone accidentally find out. Close friends I just tell (because we're probably swapping tips on ccw methods anyhow), but no one has accidentally found out.

DonovanM
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Were you carrying AIWB? :)

Ha! :D