PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15-22: thoughts?

seabiscuit
06-10-2011, 01:25 AM
One of my buddies recently purchased an M&P 15-22 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image), said he loves it. I've been thinking about getting one - or a full-up AR - for some time, since that's likely what I'll carry in the Air Force, and I want more training than the AF will give me.

Has anyone here tried it? Lots of problems in the early models with the extractor, but those seem to be worked out - at least, you can send it back to S&W and they'll fix it.

Same controls as an AR, bolt locks back, 25rd mags, flat top, quad rail. So I could mount the same accessories on my .22 as my .223/5.56 duty (or personal) rifle. Recoil will obviously be less than the .223, but not terribly less.

Suggestions?

Jay Cunningham
06-10-2011, 04:22 AM
I think they're fantastic - I recently used one during portions of a class I taught (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1098-AAR-Low-Speed-%E2%80%93-High-Drag-VSM-1-Day-Carbine-June-4th-2011):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3309/5813562211_43f9d170fa_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5813559531_8936cc7fc4_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5117/5813935326_031ac18cb0_z.jpg

All students got to use it on a walkback drill on a 6" steel plate. Fun little rifle and great training aid! Don't cheat and use it on drills with lateral target transitions or rapid strings of fire - the lack of recoil makes that cheating - but it's GTG for position rifle, presentation, etc.

JHC
06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
We have one and it's a fantastic piece of gear. It runs well. Great for training on running an AR carbine on the cheap ammo wise. I've not seen better than 2-3" accuracy at 50 yds but that's not what it's about.

Al T.
06-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Agree with Jay. Very nice for some drills and getting new shooters acclimated to the platform.

Mine is closing in on 3k, no issues. Ammo is a bit of a concern, the owners manual is pretty specific. I ran CCI MiniMags for the first K, CCI Blazer afterwards.

Here's a nifty suppressed M&P15-22:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZp5xe963w0

Al T.
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd also suggest that you get some good training courses - IMHO, AF training (and .mil in general) is not optimal.

jar
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's much lighter than my 223 rifle. I'm planning to get a dedicated 22 upper for that reason.

SecondsCount
06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
They are nice guns. My 13 year old son saved up his money and bought one almost a year ago.

It runs great on bulk ammo (Federal and Remington) and accuracy is better than I expected.

DocGKR
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
My kids love their new M&P15-22 with an old Aimpoint M2 mounted on it. No issues or malfunctions with the first several hundred rounds of 36 gr Win 333.

Jay Cunningham
06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Slightly OT question for suppressor gurus: could I mount my Gemtech HALO to my 15-22 successfully, or would the chance for baffle strikes go way up?

seabiscuit
06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd also suggest that you get some good training courses - IMHO, AF training (and .mil in general) is not optimal.

Agreed. 40 rounds at a static target from three positions during basic was entirely insufficient.

Thanks for all the great replies... now I'm gonna see if I can find one in town.

@jar - do you think mounting some accessories on it could fix the weight issue, or would it be too hard to get the right balance?

Jay, thanks for the pics and the drill advice. Probably gonna focus on controls, presentation, position, shooting on the move, maybe shooting at night too when I get a G2 up front.

jar
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
@jar - do you think mounting some accessories on it could fix the weight issue, or would it be too hard to get the right balance?

It's possible. I didn't look in to it that much. The Nordic 22 upper I plan to buy when they're finally back in stock matches the weight of my 223 upper pretty closely. Also, that way I get to use the same trigger and stock set up with the 22.

There are pros and cons to each approach. If the focus was primary marksmanship instruction, I'd go with the M&P15-22 because it's cheaper and a self contained purchase. I already have a 10/22 for that purpose (bought before the 15-22 was created). I primarily want it to practice with something close to my 3-gun 223 rifle without spending so much on ammo.

John Ralston
06-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I went with a Tac-Sol M4 upper so I could use the same lower (trigger) as my primary carbine. I love it, a d have had no issues with it. If you already have an AR, there isn't much $$ different between the M&P.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

seabiscuit
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
There are pros and cons to each approach. If the focus was primary marksmanship instruction, I'd go with the M&P15-22 because it's cheaper and a self contained purchase. I already have a 10/22 for that purpose (bought before the 15-22 was created). I primarily want it to practice with something close to my 3-gun 223 rifle without spending so much on ammo.

Yeah, that's what I'll go with. I'm not concerned that it's exactly like a true AR, just similar enough that training with it means benefits when I use an M4. Once I commission, I'll probably pick up an RRA or other AR for home defense and more training.

I think the 15-22 will also be a great rifle for teaching my fiance and kids to shoot, with its light weight and adjustable stock.

jbmilitary006
06-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm running a Spikes Tactical 22 conversion in my AR. Works great, saves money, haven't had any issues with it. I've put several thousand rds through it.

Jay Cunningham
06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's keep the thread on the topic of first-hand experience with the M&P. Comparison/contrast is cool as long as you include your experience with the M&P.

Odin Bravo One
06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Every conversion kit I tried sucked in one way or another. Lately there have been plenty of others jumping into the conversion upper market, and some appear to be well suited for the intended task, but at what price? A TAC-SOL upper is $200 hundred over the cost of the most expensive 15-22, the MOE.

I wish the 15-22 were a little heavier, but at the same time, I don't have any real issue with the light weight. I am not practicing 15 klick offsets with it, and several smaller shooters have shot it and like to shoot it. If I added too much weight, the youngsters would have issues with it.

That the entire gun was built as a .22LR and not an after thought helps to mitigate a lot of the issues I had with the various conversions and .22 uppers in terms of magazine issues, reliability, hardware mounting space, etc.

I use it often in the garage into my bullet trap when I cannot get out to the range for a serious practice session. It is great for that, newer and younger shooters, as well as working manipulation to some extent. Serious training is not going to happen since there is a distinct difference between .22LR and 5.56 or 6.8, or whatever flavor of AR you happen to run. But you can't ignore that it does offer some practice value to a well rounded program, especially when the weather is shit and the garage is the only place open.

JC, as long as your suppressor mates well to the barrel, the HALO should do just fine. I have used my AAC M4-2000 on mine without any issues, with the Blackout 3 Prong adapter/flash hider. Making sure the bullet is stable upon exit from the muzzle is my biggest concern for baffle strikes. I use CCI SS HP's, and they seem to spin just fine. That said, I am chopping the barrel down to about 6.5" and just running it with the Outback II always attached from here on out since the lead from .22 ammo really leads to a lot of lead and shit build-up inside my 5.56 suppressor. I'd much rather sacrifice the cheapo .22LR suppressor than my suppressor for serious social purposes.

MTechnik
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Can you mount a UBR to it? It's a bit expensive to add just as a weight-adding device, but it's a great stock, and could balance out stuff on the handguards...

Lon
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I would think the UBR would work. Atleast on the MOE version, which is what i have. I love mine. So far its run great with fed bulk pack and mini mags. I'm gonna get it set up to closely mirror my 3 gun rifle for cheaper practice sessions.

Jay Cunningham
06-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I run mine on Mini Mags as well.

John Hearne
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I own both a 15-22 and cobbled together 9mm AR. While both are cool and worthwhile, I think the 9mm is a better trainer. The 9mm has the advantage of recoil (more than my mid-length duty rifle) and it will knock over all the normal steel targets you'll encounter - plate racks, dueling trees, rotators, etc. This allows me to shoot it in local IDPA matches which are probably more representative of a non-military rifle fight. Additionally, it feels like a real AR weight wise.

The 15-22 is a great marksmanship trainer and certainly very inexpensive to shoot but if I had to pick just one, it would be the 9mm AR.

Chuck Haggard
06-11-2011, 07:00 AM
I really like my M&P .22 a lot.

I know it doesn't have the recoil or weight of my full size gun, but> from low ready to cheek weld to picking up the front sight as the safety comes off to first trigger break> it's pretty much the same as my patrol rifle.

At times I like that it's lighter, makes it easier for younger smaller people to handle. This, with the adjustable stock, makes it perhaps a better choice for new shooters than even the 10-22.

My gun won't run at all on Remington, but is just fine with bulk Federal or Winchester, and is very reliable with CCI Mini Mags.

Off topic, but;

Once I commission, I'll probably pick up an RRA or

For a serious 5.56/.223 rifle, I'd rethink my choice of brand.

seabiscuit
06-11-2011, 01:19 PM
For a serious 5.56/.223 rifle, I'd rethink my choice of brand.

I figured I'd get comments on that. DEA seemed to like them, but I'm open to suggestions there too... maybe in a new thread, when I get closer to being ready to buy one.

DocGKR
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM
seabiscuit--Colt, Bravo, DD would be my first choices...

Jay Cunningham
06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
seabiscuit--Colt, Bravo, DD would be my first choices...

I echo this.

Chuck Haggard
06-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I echo this.

Concur strongly.

seabiscuit
06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely keep those in mind going forward.

GLOCKMASTER
06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
So far the M&P 15-22 has been a nice addition to my inventory. I can hardly get anytime behind the rifle because my daughter likes to shoot it so much. It's great to go out to the range and work on different drills without having to spend so much money on ammo.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting076.jpg

Jay Cunningham
06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
So far the M&P 15-22 has been a nice addition to my inventory. I can hardly get anytime behind the rifle because my daughter likes to shoot it so much. It's great to go out to the range and work on different drills without having to spend so much money on ammo.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting076.jpg

Great pic!

Kyle Reese
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
I need to pick up an M&P 15-22....

Jay Cunningham
06-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I need to pick up an M&P 15-22....

I'd like to get another one to SBR and permanently mount a .22 can to.

Chuck Haggard
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Does the pistol upper fit onto the rifle lower? Would be an easy way to SBR the rifle.

Just a thought. Would be a very cool little walking in the woods gun IMHO.

zRxz
06-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Yup. I love mine.

At the range I attend, rifle calibers are not allowed on the indoor range. It allows me to practice there.

Al T.
06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Jay,

This one may be a bit less expensive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZp5xe963w0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.innovativearms.com/

I've witnessed it being shot in prototype form and it's very quiet. If I have it right, you only have to fork out one tax stamp for the suppressor, not two for the SBR and can. One the website, Phil is offering a special into price that is sub $500.00 on your M&P.

seabiscuit
06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Picked mine up today. Field stripped it, ran a few patches down the barrel - per the manual - and lubed the bolt.

Put fifty CCI mini-mags through it, no failures to feed, fire, or eject - I've read that the early models had problems with the extractor and firing out of battery. Mine has the blue bolt spring, which apparently means it's the newer version. Hopefully it will hold up when I put a few hundred more through it tomorrow.

Speaking of putting rounds through it, where can I go to find some good carbine drills? All I did today was sighting in.

Al T.
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Big thing on the early versions was folks not reading the manual and running junk ammo. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCpOt9xVy4

I work on reloads, positions, and weak side manipulations. For transitions, I find the light weight of the M&P to be of limited training value.

seabiscuit
06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that was a big part of it, but there was an extractor issue too. I've tried that Remington Golden Bullet stuff in my mag-fed Marlin bolt-action, and discovered how terrible it is. I'd get a click, pull the bolt back a bit, rotate the round, and pull the trigger again - then it'd go off.

Running Mini-Mags now, gonna try Winchester Super-X as well. Super-X is about half as expensive.

Thanks for the vid - Viking Tactics seems to have some good drill videos. I'll definitely need practice weak side shooting, with my rifle and my pistol.

texag
07-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I figured I'd get comments on that. DEA seemed to like them, but I'm open to suggestions there too... maybe in a new thread, when I get closer to being ready to buy one.

I wouldn't take something like that too seriously. The armorer at the department I worked for would approve model 1 sales ARs for patrol rifles.

Josh Runkle
07-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Slightly OT question for suppressor gurus: could I mount my Gemtech HALO to my 15-22 successfully, or would the chance for baffle strikes go way up?

Is it fast-attach or thread on?

I'll assume thread on for the moment. It will work fine, but for warranty purposes, you should not go back to using it with 5.56 afterward. The issue, I believe, is with the high amount of lead and unburnt powder from .22lr filling up the baffles (over a long period of time) and accumulating on the inside of the concentric ring where the "bore" or channel would be. Then, you could later have baffle strikes with 5.56. It's the reason that .22lr cans that are take-apart or take-down are all the rage these days. I have several .22lr cans that are sealed, and several that are take apart from various manufacturers. They all have 10,000+ rounds with 0 malfunctions or strikes. While I am giving you the theoretical knowledge as to why using your 5.56 can on .22lr will void your warranty in almost all cases, in my experience you would need to be talking about 20,000+ rounds without cleaning the suppressor. If you use it for a few rounds you'll be fine. Or...take this as an opportunity to buy a .22lr can!

Oh, and I don't know the exact weight of the Halo, but be sure that it doesn't cause your flimsy .22lr barrel to flex or bend downward. The barrel should flex slightly during firing, and that "good" flexibility might become "bad" flexibility when you have a massive weight on the end.

justcor
07-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyone running one with an ambi safety? They are wider than a regular AR and as such a normal ambi safety will not fit.

Decado
07-30-2011, 08:15 AM
I have an ambi safety on mine. I bought the safety from Bravo Company. It works but the lever is stiff.

Jay Cunningham
11-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh, and I don't know the exact weight of the Halo, but be sure that it doesn't cause your flimsy .22lr barrel to flex or bend downward. The barrel should flex slightly during firing, and that "good" flexibility might become "bad" flexibility when you have a massive weight on the end.

The barrel on the M&P15-22 is actually rather beefy.

Jay Cunningham
11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I call this a micro-recce:

http://www.lowspeed-highdrag.com/images/micro_recce%20765x1024.jpg

Nicely equipped for counter-raccoon and zombie apocalypse duties.

LOKNLOD
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM

I like it. :cool:
That's just begging for a .22 suppressor...

Jay Cunningham
11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I like it. :cool:
That's just begging for a .22 suppressor...

Indeed it is.

peterb
11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

http://www.lowspeed-highdrag.com/images/micro_recce%20765x1024.jpg

Nice!
What scope & mount is that?

Jay Cunningham
11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
TR-24G in an ADM Scout mount.

Al T.
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Jay, what group sizes are you getting?

Jay Cunningham
11-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Have not shot it with the TR-24 yet, but will do so and post results. Very easy to keep all hits inside 2" at 75 yards with an Aimpoint Micro off the bench, though. CCI Mini Mags.

Al T.
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Interesting. Mine is minute of clay pigeon at 65 with a RDS. Thinking about scoping mine for NRA Light Rifle.

Odin Bravo One
11-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I kind of went the other route from Jay. Since the majority of my carbine work is close range stuff, I chopped my M&P 22 down to 6.5". With the suppressor attached, it ends up being right about 11" OAL of the "Barrel" if we are including the suppressor. Makes for a great indoor training gun, perfect for the intro to the carbine for kids, and mimics the controls and accessories on my non-plinking version in 5.56mm. I love the M&P 22. Great idea, well executed.

Sorry for the cell phone photo.....it is what it is. I am hoping Santa Clause brings a digital camera for Christmas. I will end up chopping a few sections of rail off the handguards, just to make installation and removal of the suppressor easier. T-1 for it is also on Santa's list. I have been using a Docter in a LaRue mount, which worked ok, when it worked. The Docter has some battery issues, so less than ideal. But still a nice set up for using in the garage with the bullet trap when the weather is crappy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/MP22wSuppressor.jpg

agent-smith
11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
I guess I kind of split the difference between Jay and Sean M:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/raptormanstruck/402bd8df.jpg

12" barrel with a Gemtech Alpine.

Ka-Kow!!!

ETA: I had debated if it was worth the $200 tax stamp to SBR the rifle; if anyone reading this is "on the fence" about doing so, FWIW I absolutely think it was worth doing so and if I had it to do over again I'd still SBR it. Nah, it certainly isn't really "necessary" but it is really, really cool. Not sure if it was/is really necessary for me to "say" anything but for some reason I had a hard time convincing myself to spend the $200 on the SBR tax stamp.

Tamara
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Does anybody know off the top of their head what diameter the receiver extension is on the M&P 15-22?

I need to get a clamp-on single-point adapter so I can fit it with a sling like the one on my house gun, so that Shootin' Buddy will stop giving me a ration of shit every time we go to the range for having a long gun w/o a sling on it.

(Yeah, I could go pull the Vltor off my house gun and go pull out the deuce-deuce and see if it fits, but that's such a pain in the ass compared to just typing on the keyboard. :p )

Jay Cunningham
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
It ain't going to work quite right, Tam. The receiver extension is "mil-spec" but where it meets the receiver it has a different geometry. There is a factory version of the gun with MagPul furniture and QD points, though:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_773502_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Tamara
11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks! (But arghh...)

It's not worth buying a whole 'nother carbine over; I'll just have to see if I can rig something.

Jay Cunningham
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Shouldn't be hard to run it off the stock - there's several good ways to do it.

Little Creek
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I traded for an M&P15-22 last week. I have 3 magazines. It has been to the range twice. I used all magazines both days. I shot Winchester M-22 and Super-X with plated bullets. The bullets were 40 grains at 1255 fps. I fired a total of 181 rounds with no malfunctions. I zeroed at 25 yards with the iron sights and then added an EOTech night. The sights cowitnessed. It was fun to take the iron/plastic sights off and used the EOTech on a plate rack at 25 yards. I plan to try 50 yards soon. The M&P15-22 complements my M&P15 Sport. Will the M&P22-15 will take AR-15 parts like an ambi safety, ambi unlocking lever, and ambi magazine release?

seabiscuit
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Been using my 15-22 for a while now, working on a lot of support side shooting and presentations. It's such a fun gun. I tend to get about one failure every hundred rounds, acceptable for a plinking/training/small game hunting rifle.

JeffJ
12-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I tried one with an EOTech yesterday, jeez.. Why not just get me hooked on crack.

seabiscuit
12-18-2011, 01:08 AM
.22LR is a lot cheaper and healthier than crack.

Al T.
12-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Why not just get me hooked on crack.

LOL. Buddy's wife liked mine so much he had to buy one for her.

I've found mine is extremely well received by new shooters. Excellent understudy rifle for us older folks.

Malfunction tip:

If you get a bullet in backwards in the magazine, do not screw around trying to flip the bullet with a probe or pliers. Magazine dis-assembly and assembly is stupid easy as well as quick. Drop the cartridges out, put it back together and away you go.

Found that out when a friend tried to load a magazine with out realizing that the follower has to tension the cartridges.

seabiscuit
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Will the M&P22-15 will take AR-15 parts like an ambi safety, ambi unlocking lever, and ambi magazine release?

I don't think so. All the parts function the same but the internals are different. Maybe an ambi safety, though.

Little Creek
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Decado,

Is the ambi safety you put on your M&P15-22 special or or will it fit any M&P15 or other AR-15?

I now have over 400 rounds through my M&P15-22 with no mafunctions and only one misfire.

Thanks

Decado
12-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Decado,

Is the ambi safety you put on your M&P15-22 special or or will it fit any M&P15 or other AR-15?

I now have over 400 rounds through my M&P15-22 with no mafunctions and only one misfire.

Thanks

I bought it from Bravo Company and it will fit any AR-15.

Yute
12-28-2011, 05:07 AM
I need to get a clamp-on single-point adapter so I can fit it with a sling like the one on my house gun, so that Shootin' Buddy will stop giving me a ration of shit every time we go to the range for having a long gun w/o a sling on it.

Tango Down is now stocking the M&P-22 version of their PR-4 clamp-on mount.

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=141&osCsid=abb62287de304903dc736dd772c3674c

Jay Cunningham
12-28-2011, 06:05 AM

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=141&osCsid=abb62287de304903dc736dd772c3674c

Yee - Haw!!

That there's some good news. I need another one of these little guns...

Tamara
12-28-2011, 06:38 AM

Hooray! Oh, it's like Christmas in... in... well, late December, actually. :o

Little Creek
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
I bought it from Bravo Company and it will fit any AR-15.

Thanks Decado and Happy New Year.

JRL
12-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Anyone know anything about the Performance Center model?

Tamara
12-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Anyone know anything about the Performance Center model?

Are you just trying to harsh my mellow, or is there really such a thing? :confused:

EDIT: I just went and googled it. Oh, damn, but that thing makes the baby Paul Liebenberg cry. Seriously, Smith? Drop in a match trigger, slap on an VLTOR stock and call it a "Performance Center" gun?

Between this and Smith's .410 shot pistol, I am hearing diabolical laughter from the office of Ron Cohen... "You have learned your lesson well, young Jedi! Now, embrace the dark side!" :(

seabiscuit
12-28-2011, 12:48 PM
In fairness, the stock trigger kind of sucks. But a good trigger does not a performance rifle make.

seabiscuit
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks like they put an 18" fluted barrel and Hogue grip on it too.

JRL
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Edit: Seabiscuit beat me to it, but don't forget the threaded barrel

It's about a $100 premium over the MOE version...doesn't seem outrageous.

As an aside, can the models with "A1 style comp" have the comp removed, or are there no threads underneath?

Tamara
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Also, you forgot the "Hogue® Overmolded" grips :p

I've got a few in my spares box. ;)

It's about a $100 premium over the MOE version...

Oh, even if the trigger was a mediocre aftermarket unit, there's no doubt that it would be more expensive to do this stuff to your own rifle; strictly financially speaking, it's a good deal.

It's just more of the watering-down of the "Performance Center" brand that's been going on for a while now. Next thing you know, they'll have "Performance Center" Taiwanese pocket knives. (And if they already do, I don't want to know about it. LALALALALALALALA! ICAN'THEARYOU!)

seabiscuit
12-28-2011, 01:07 PM
As an aside, can the models with "A1 style comp" have the comp removed, or are there no threads underneath?

Yep. From the S&W website: "Threaded Barrel with A1- Style Compensator
(1 /2 x 28" Thread)"

JRL
12-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Yep. From the S&W website: "Threaded Barrel with A1- Style Compensator
(1 /2 x 28" Thread)"

Thanks, guess I missed that. Does a comp do much on a .22, or is it just marketing?

seabiscuit
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I have the standard version, no comp. Recoil and muzzle jump are negligible. The advantage to the comp, in my opinion, would be the threads underneath.

John Hearne
12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks, guess I missed that. Does a comp do much on a .22, or is it just marketing?

It makes it look "cool." What more do you want?

iakdrago
02-12-2012, 11:12 AM
The only thing that is holding me back from picking one up, is the fact that the sights are attached to a polymer rail. That in itself has me leaning towards a dedicated .22 upper--even if they don't do the last shot hold open.

Al T.
02-12-2012, 11:38 AM
With the lack of recoil from a .22LR, I don't think it matters.

JSGlock34
02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Very impressed with this handy rifle. I've put about 500 rounds through mine now. It is accurate - and surprisingly reliable. I haven't cleaned it since purchase or performed any maintenance (save a squirt of lube into the bolt), and it continues to run well.

I introduced it to a younger shooter who was ready to move beyond his bolt action .22 - considering his interest in all things military, the M&P 15-22 was perfect. The lighter weight makes it easier to use for positional practice (sitting, kneeling, standing), but the manipulations all transfer to the AR later.

I added one of the new Magpul MOE-K grips to my 15-22 - it joins very nicely with the receiver, and for those who are using these with younger shooters, works nicely with smaller hands.

Jeff22
02-13-2012, 03:37 AM
I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle in November of 2009.

I used various models of the M-16 in the service, and have an AR-15 in my squad car now. I own a Colt SP1, and AR-15A2, an AR-15A3 and a Colt 6530 in 9mm. I have an Atchission .22 conversion unit in my SP1 which I bought in 1982 from Bro-Caliber International. I couldn't get it to work at all until I had it tuned by John Norrell in Florida late in 1985. After that, it worked GREAT and has been very reliable and NOT ammo sensitive.

The converter works well, but I was interested in the Colt and Smith & Wesson ARs in .22 as soon as they came out. I have a friend who bought one of the Colt .22s, and I shot it and enjoyed it, but it's complicated to disassemble to clean and the external controls don't work the same as on a "real" AR -- in particular, the bolt catch/release doesn't work at all, and the safety works differently than on the original rifle.

So I bought the S&W M&P 15-22. Best function has been with CCI Mini-Mags and the Federal 36 grn HP that I was able to buy at Wal-Mart. After I had the gun a couple of months, I was firing Winchester Expert .22 ammo and had a round go off out-of-battery. It blew the extractor off. The case was ruptured. We found the case, but not the extractor.

The guy at S&W customer service said that was a common problem. I shipped the gun back (at their expense) and they repaired it and I had it back in two weeks.

About a year ago I got a Safariland RLS light & mount to put on the rail of my M&P 15-22. It attaches on the rail at the 9 o’clock position, and the mount curls up and puts the light at about 11 o’clock, which is a convenient place for me to activate the tail cap switch with the thumb of my left hand.

I’ve been real happy with the M&P 15-22 and I’d recommend them to anybody.

brantley65
02-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Innovative Arms does a nice job on the 15-22. He does a 8 inch integrally suppressed version that is very nice.

Odin Bravo One
02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
It is sure sexy looking, but I really can't see spending 2+ times the cost of the rifle for that.

You can chop and thread the barrel, buy a .22LR suppressor, pay the tax on both the SBR and a suppressor for a couple hundred less, and have a suppressor that can go to any other .22LR one might have.

But it definitely has a lot of CDI factor.

UNK
02-15-2012, 10:39 PM
I got one for my kids. It was an early one that blew the extractor out but Smith fixed it. It runs like a sewing machine and has never had any extraction/feed problems. I've got 5 of the full size mags and just ordered some of the 10 round mags for bench shooting.The biggest advantage that no matter the size of the shooter the stock will fit unlike the Anschutz youth bolt gun I got them which my oldest has already outgrown. My kids love it especially on steel targets. Its a great little rifle.

smells like feet
02-16-2012, 04:28 AM
I have had a much different experience with my MP 15-22 than most of you.

I bought a MP15-22 two years ago.

It's reliability can only be described as sporadic...even with CCI's best ammo the thing has both feeding and ejection issues. I am lucky to get through a mag with only one jam.

It's a lemon. I would never dream of taking it to even the most informal club event.

It's the worst firearms purchase I have ever made...the only firearm I own that rivals its unreliability is a Basque 380 that cost $35.

If S&W would refund 1/2 the purchase price I would return it.

The truth is, I wanted to love this rifle...I wanted it to be THE answer to cheap AR training, and the truth is that despite my having privately owned and professionally carried S&W firearms for 20 years, owning this rifle has soured my brand loyalty to the point where I will probably not buy another S&W.

UNK
02-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Smith has a lifetime warranty. Have you sent it back to the factory?

I have had a much different experience with my MP 15-22 than most of you.

I bought a MP15-22 two years ago.

It's reliability can only be described as sporadic...even with CCI's best ammo the thing has both feeding and ejection issues. I am lucky to get through a mag with only one jam.

It's a lemon. I would never dream of taking it to even the most informal club event.

It's the worst firearms purchase I have ever made...the only firearm I own that rivals its unreliability is a Basque 380 that cost $35.

If S&W would refund 1/2 the purchase price I would return it.

The truth is, I wanted to love this rifle...I wanted it to be THE answer to cheap AR training, and the truth is that despite my having privately owned and professionally carried S&W firearms for 20 years, owning this rifle has soured my brand loyalty to the point where I will probably not buy another S&W.

Odin Bravo One
02-16-2012, 06:30 AM
I'd send it back................

As the customer, you have a reasonable expectation that the product you purchased functions. If it does not, then it is defective and the manufacturer has the responsibility to make it functions.

As you said, you got a lemon. It might be a bit late at this point (2 years later), but I would contact S&W and see about sending it back, and getting it dialed in, or getting a replacement rifle.

I also make sure I fill out the warranty cards and/or product registration cards for firearms that come with them. With S&W, I registered a 2214 that ended up having issues after a few hundred rounds, and even though the pistol is no longer in production, they took it and fixed the issues with left over parts they had on hand. Certainly all they have to do is live up to the letter of the warranty, but I have found the true American based companies to be pretty decent about getting things taken care of. Maybe not free replacement every single time, but Smith has done me right.

Sorry to hear you got a Friday afternoon gun. That is always very frustrating.

Al T.
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Smells, I've seen S&W fix guns they really didn't have to fix. I'd call them.

Have you tried a new magazine? CCI ammo?

Tamara
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Smells, I've seen S&W fix guns they really didn't have to fix. I'd call them.
This.

Back in '06 or '07, we had an old guy bring in a very early Bodyguard Airweight, pre-Model 38. It looked pristine, like it hadn't been shot since he'd bought it back in the '50s. He'd just got a Tennessee toter's permit and wanted to get a trigger job done on the gun. Our 'smith tuned the action, went out on the range to check ignition, and on the very first round the frame cracked longitudinally down along the barrel shank.

Not terribly surprising; alloy revolver frames were pretty science-fiction back then and a lot of barrels got overtorqued.

We called Smith and they asked us to send in the 50+ year-old gun and gave the guy his choice of brand-new Airweight revolvers. He took a 638 and was happy as a clam.

jar
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
This.

Back in '06 or '07, we had an old guy bring in a very early Bodyguard Airweight, pre-Model 38. It looked pristine, like it hadn't been shot since he'd bought it back in the '50s. He'd just got a Tennessee toter's permit and wanted to get a trigger job done on the gun. Our 'smith tuned the action, went out on the range to check ignition, and on the very first round the frame cracked longitudinally down along the barrel shank.

Not terribly surprising; alloy revolver frames were pretty science-fiction back then and a lot of barrels got overtorqued.

We called Smith and they asked us to send in the 50+ year-old gun and gave the guy his choice of brand-new Airweight revolvers. He took a 638 and was happy as a clam.

How much would said early airweight been worth as a collectible in its unfired state?

Tamara
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
How much would said early airweight been worth as a collectible in its unfired state?
Sigh. I'd have gone and bought him a new 638 myself and traded straight up if I'd known it would have made him happy, and I'd have felt like I was making out like a bandit. It was probably worth five and a half or six bills before it broke. Maybe more if he had the box & docs.

I tell the story because Smith went above and beyond anything they needed to do, service-wise, but every time I tell it, a little tear runs down my cheek, thinking of that totalled flat-latch Bodyguard Airweight... :(

rudy99
06-28-2013, 10:06 PM
For those with 2-point slings, how have you done the front sling attachment? I know there are several QD mounts that attach to rails. Any reservations about having the front sling point attached to a polymer rail?

orionz06
06-28-2013, 10:14 PM
For those with 2-point slings, how have you done the front sling attachment? I know there are several QD mounts that attach to rails. Any reservations about having the front sling point attached to a polymer rail?

You'd have to really try to break something to have issues.

NETim
06-29-2013, 07:48 AM

I've got a VTAC low profile bolted up on mine and haven't had any issues. What I need to do is get a Magpul CTR buttstock on it so I have a QD sling attachment point on the hind end too. The Smith does have an attachment point on the lower but I don't like it there.

Just love this little rifle.

rudy99
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I ended up with the standard threaded barrel version of this rifle and was going to change the grip out with either a BCM or a MOE-K. Does anyone have comments on the fit on these grips on the 15-22? Any issues with the Mod 0 (no beavertail) vs Mod 1 (beavertail) or the Magpul equivalents?

As for intended use, this rifle will hopefully be used by my son when he gets old enough, so that might factor into the equation. He is only 15 months, so I've got plenty of time to break it in for him at some local rimfire matches ;)

Shipwreck
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I love mine. I got mine to use to teach my son to shoot when he gets older. In the past, I I personally have never really cared for 22lr much. I haven't shot my Buckmark in over 4 years. I always thought that 22s were kinda boring, honestly...

But this little 15-22 is just awesome. Lots of fun. Admittedly, its close appearance to an AR is part of what makes it fun. If it were a 10/22, I do not think I would like it as much.... I did a lot of research on various 22 rifles - these have been out a few years, and you don't find very many complaints about them....

I did a few modifications to mine (I got the non threaded, base model originally)... I changed the for and aft grip, the stock, added rail covers, and I decided to get a shorter Tacticool barrel shroud. Makes it look a bit like a suppressor.

Mine:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/15-22-00_zps3a22815c.jpg~original