PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 failing to open after firing

seabiscuit
01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Hey folks, been away from the forum (and shooting, really) for a while due to training and my growing family but thought you all might be able to help.

Got a used 870 Express Magnum, synthetic stocks. I took it out for a round of trap today (first time I've shot it) and discovered that it doesn't always open up after firing. If I jiggle the forend a bit it will slide back. I also found that by holding forward pressure on the forend until after firing it would unlock.

RO said it could be the shells I was using (Remington Gun Club 2 3/4"), but I'm not sure how much experience he has.

Any ideas here? I don't have a lot of experience with shotguns, just skeet/trap/hunting years ago.

jlw
01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Sidesaddle?

TGS
01-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Any ideas here?

Does it have a barrel shroud? I bought a used shotgun which had one of those clip/screw on barrel shrouds, and the action bars would bind on it similar to what you're describing. It felt as if the shells were swelling into the chamber causing it to be extremely hard to open, but nope...cheapo shroud.

SecondsCount
01-18-2014, 05:56 PM
It could be the ammo as I have seen similar issues with the cheap Wal-Mart Winchester ammo.

idahojess
01-18-2014, 06:49 PM
My 870 express does that too, right out of the box. I've read, maybe on this forum, maybe on another, that polishing the chamber with some fine steel wool on a drill motor with a dowel will solve/help the problem. I've actually purchased the dowel and the steel wool, but that's as far as I've gotten! I suppose some particular ammo could cause the problem too.
I don't think it's a new or unusual problem, a buddy of mine bought an 870 in the late 90's that had the issue, and there are lots of posts out there on other forums on polishing 870 chambers.
I haven't shot mine for awhile, I should sell it...

seabiscuit
01-18-2014, 07:25 PM
No sidesaddle or barrel shroud, it's bone stock so far. It'll just be a hunting gun for me.

It cycles fine dry-fire, so the ammo could be the issue - I'll have to try some different stuff next time I take it out. But it's a hard stop when it won't come back, feels like metal-on-metal.

jrm
01-18-2014, 08:29 PM
If the action bars are bent outward it is possible for the slide block to slip off of the action bars and lock the gun up. I was having issues while dry cycling the action to check for function after a parts swap. Might be something to check though. If something were just slightly out of spec the issue might only present under recoil.

Joe Mamma
01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
The stuck shell issue is a well know problem with Remington 870 express guns. I've experienced it myself. There are a few different theories about the cause-the rough chamber that idahojess mentioned is one of them. Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGoxNsaieE

The problem seems to be worse with inexpensive bulk pack type shells (with a short aluminum base) like the type people frequently get at Wal-Mart.

Joe Mamma

idahojess
01-20-2014, 02:40 AM
That's a good video, thanks.

Tamara
01-20-2014, 06:50 AM
The stuck shell issue is a well know problem with Remington 870 express guns.

Happened with my Remington 870 Express... and Shootin' Buddy's pre-Wilson Scattergun Tech FBI Model ...using crap Winchester Super Speed (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/09/double-shotgun.html).

JAD
01-20-2014, 07:53 AM
My S&W3000, a copy of the 870, does the same with Remington reduced recoil buckshot. I use federal anyway.

Tamara
01-20-2014, 08:48 AM
I have shot an assortment of cheap-o steel-base promo birdshot through that gun, but the only one that caused that particular malf was the Winchester Super Speed noted. Haven't had it happen with any of the (admittedly small amount of) buckshot I've run through it.

TR675
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I also found that by holding forward pressure on the forend until after firing it would unlock.

IIRC in another thread someone mentioned that 870's will "lock up" if you put rearward pressure on the forend while firing. I had two lockups out of 75 shells of Estate birdshot with a police trade-in 870p...both times I believe I was putting rearward pressure on the forend. I also replicated the lock up when dry firing. I'm new to 870's and am interested if anyone else has noticed this.

oldtexan
01-20-2014, 11:04 AM
IIRC in another thread someone mentioned that 870's will "lock up" if you put rearward pressure on the forend while firing. I had two lockups out of 75 shells of Estate birdshot with a police trade-in 870p...both times I believe I was putting rearward pressure on the forend. I also replicated the lock up when dry firing. I'm new to 870's and am interested if anyone else has noticed this.

I had heard about the 870 locking up when pulling the forend to the rear and tried to replicate it on my two 870 Express models. Couldn't make it happen on my sample of two guns, even though I exerted a lot of rearward pressure with my weak hand. Maybe it affects specific examples and not others.

oldtexan
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
My 870 express does that too, right out of the box. I've read, maybe on this forum, maybe on another, that polishing the chamber with some fine steel wool on a drill motor with a dowel will solve/help the problem. I've actually purchased the dowel and the steel wool, but that's as far as I've gotten! I suppose some particular ammo could cause the problem too.
I don't think it's a new or unusual problem, a buddy of mine bought an 870 in the late 90's that had the issue, and there are lots of posts out there on other forums on polishing 870 chambers.
I haven't shot mine for awhile, I should sell it...

I was having lots of sticky extraction and even a few stuck cases, with inexpensive steel-head birdshot loads, but not brass-head shells, in both my 2012-vintage 870 Express models. This happened even after several hundred break-in rds, thorough cleaning, and proper lube. Took them to my local smith. He used a hone to smooth up the chambers and bores. That fixed the problem and made cleaning quicker as well.

oldtexan
01-20-2014, 01:48 PM
I was having lots of sticky extraction and even a few stuck cases, with inexpensive steel-head birdshot loads, but not brass-head shells, in both my 2012-vintage 870 Express models. This happened even after several hundred break-in rds, thorough cleaning, and proper lube. Took them to my local smith. He used a hone to smooth up the chambers and bores. That fixed the problem and made cleaning quicker as well.

Sorry to quote myself, but I went back to my log and found some details that may be useful to someone here. The ammo types that caused the extraction issues were Federal Top Gun TGL12 #8 shot, a light load of 1 1/8 oz at about 1145 fps, the same load with #7.5 shot, Fed MP12 #7.5 shot, Winchester U127 #7.5 (1 1/8 oz at 1200 fps) and Winchester AA12FL8 Low Recoil/Low Noise. Some were steel head cases, such as the Fed MP12, and IIRC, the AA Winchesters may have brass heads. The gunsmith used a Flex Hone and some 0000 steel wool as well.

seabiscuit
01-20-2014, 05:47 PM
The stuck shell issue is a well know problem with Remington 870 express guns. I've experienced it myself. There are a few different theories about the cause-the rough chamber that idahojess mentioned is one of them. Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGoxNsaieE

The problem seems to be worse with inexpensive bulk pack type shells (with a short aluminum base) like the type people frequently get at Wal-Mart.

Joe Mamma

Awesome video, I think that's my issue. I'll just have to find a gunsmith with sanding and polishing tools to fix it...

Tamara
01-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Sorry to quote myself, but I went back to my log and found some details that may be useful to someone here. The ammo types that caused the extraction issues were Federal Top Gun TGL12 #8 shot, a light load of 1 1/8 oz at about 1145 fps, the same load with #7.5 shot, Fed MP12 #7.5 shot, Winchester U127 #7.5 (1 1/8 oz at 1200 fps) and Winchester AA12FL8 Low Recoil/Low Noise. Some were steel head cases, such as the Fed MP12, and IIRC, the AA Winchesters may have brass heads. The gunsmith used a Flex Hone and some 0000 steel wool as well.

Thank you for the data! :cool:

TheTrevor
01-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Awesome video, I think that's my issue. I'll just have to find a gunsmith with sanding and polishing tools to fix it...

Flex-Hones are designed to be idiot proof. You can pick up a flex-hone sized for the 12ga chamber and the oil to use with it for what it would likely cost to have a gunsmith do the job, assuming you already own an electric drill of some sort.