PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels

JV_
06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I got some new wheels today!! Once the heat eases up a bit, I'm hoping I can ride to work a few times a week.

I don't know much about pricing, but I got over 1/3rd off the MSRP since it was a 2010 model (CAAD9-5).

https://1t7ljw.dm1.livefilestore.com/y1pjMBNq_Hc7yf3u9nrhLu9KXjKCF57BkTosFahOLGg5v-VcJB1TNHACYDjX7sRPCzAW_futTp8nZ_agkunjP6UBbjW4FMB0 96e/IMG_1760.jpg

orionz06
06-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I like it.

Why not ride in the heat?

JV_
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Why not ride in the heat?Today, my outdoor thermometer reached 3 digits. My ride to work will be over an hour; there are no showers.

orionz06
06-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Ahh, that changes things a bit. I have ~10 mile commute, one way, so it is a little different.

This your first road bike?

JV_
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes, it is my first. I'm going to borrow my friends trainer, I need to start ASAP because he has some century plans for me.

orionz06
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Spandex, buy some.

JV_
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I almost picked up some today, but I was pressed for time and the shop is 80 minutes from home. I needed to finish up before rush hour traffic started on the beltway.

rsa-otc
06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Dude

Great looking ride. Sounds like a good deal as well. Last year I picked a Fugi Crosstown and have 2600 miles on it. Can't do a road bike my back won't survive being bent over in the drops. I would love to commute to work as well but there no safe way to get there, so I'm restricted to after work and weekends. I did get in a few half centurys in. When I don’t get in a few rides each week I notice a definite souring of my mood.

Good luck with the new ride.

JHC
06-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Funny, I can just barely ride a bike. Never had one as a kid. My Pa had seen a child on a bike run over in the big city and he detested them and forbade them. I could handle the neighbors 20" banana seated stingray ok though. But he provided a set of a K-22 to shoot and a K-38 for some ($$$) shooting and dry fire which I had in my control since about age 9.

That's a nice looking bike. Riding with those funky racing handle bars is really the worst! ;)

LittleLebowski
06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
You learn to love the handlebars. Wonderful pic, JV.

Keep the chain lubed. I like to degrease the gears and chain every couple of months with brake cleaner and relube with TriFlo.

Is there a local riding club?

JV_
06-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I have a bunch of local friends that love to ride, so getting someone to come out won't be an issue.

My local bike shop also does weekly 20 mile runs. I plan to get involved there as well.

I need a lot of accessories, like chain lube and an axle for the trainer. I'll pick that up next week.

LittleLebowski
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I have used gun oil and it worked great. I like TriFlo because of the smell and that i think it works well. My Glock is now oiled with TriFlo and it's going to the Vickers class that way next week.

SecondsCount
06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
I have used gun oil and it worked great. I like TriFlo because of the smell and that i think it works well. My Glock is now oiled with TriFlo and it's going to the Vickers class that way next week.

Triflo is good stuff. My dad turned me on to it years ago and I would use it on my guns. I ran out and did not know they were still in business because nobody around here carries it.

dsa
06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
TriFlo is great stuff (it does smell good). If you come across ProLink give it a try, the smell is not so nice but it seems to do a better job of lubricating the drivetrain w/o attracting dirt. I switched to it several years ago for my road bike and mountain bike.

JHC
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
You learn to love the handlebars.

Hanging out with a girlfriend in college at her home she suggested a bike ride. I suggested we take a walk . . . she insisted on a bike ride . . . those handlebars! I didn't make it down the driveway.
"How about we take a walk?" she said. :o

mnealtx
06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
misposted, sorry

karmapolice
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
nice bike, triflo is the nectar of the bike mechanic gods. All I ever used when I was a bike tech, as well as all my fellow techs.

seabiscuit
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
If you're doing a century, I'd recommend bib shorts. They're unbelievably more comfy.

cdunn
06-12-2011, 05:41 AM
my brother got into bike riding heavy a several years ago, he races some and now rides to work just about every day from arlington to almost fairfax city, he dose some mountaine ride race every year through w.va for ms, he also goes to some race in ny city.I'm far to lazy for that but good for you he's in the best shape hes ever been in and has lost a ton of weight.

JV_
06-12-2011, 06:30 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions, thanks.

Do you guys have any good forums for road biking? Something with a good SNR, kind of like the PF, but of biking?

LittleLebowski
06-12-2011, 07:31 AM
I clicked on this hoping to hear about your first long ride.....

Bikeforums.net is pretty good.

JV_
06-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I clicked on this hoping to hear about your first long ride.....

Bikeforums.net is pretty good.

My wife has been gone since mid-day Friday, there hasn't been any time for an outdoor ride. I did get on the trainer a bit, it kicked my ass. I have to get a fan, the lack of a breeze really makes you sweat buckets.

Chipster
06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Awesome bike and I really like the colors (am I okay to say that?) I ended up with the CX-9 (cyclocross version) due to the rough ass roads here in Indiana. If I rode to work with those tires at the recommended inflation pressure all I would get done is practicing changing tubes!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/Chipster_1974/IMG_1145.jpg

JV_
06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
How big are the tires on cross bikes? 32?

orionz06
06-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I just switched to Continental Gatorbacks in 25... BARELY fit on my CAAD-10 but they feel a good bit better riding.

JV_
06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Would a switch from 23 to 25 be noticeable?

Chipster
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
35-622 (700-35c)

orionz06
06-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes and no. I was getting a ton of pinch flats with the roads and crap around here on tires that had a reputation for it. I opted for a slightly larger tire for a little more air between the rim and the road. I do know they feel better on the road. The rolling resistance of the larger tires is supposed to be better, but the people that are really good at this have told me to ignore most of that and get a tire that meets the needs.

If commuting or training, a 25 seems to be a good way to go if they can fit.

turbolag23
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
congrats on the pickup. ive been debating a road bike but michigan isnt too bike commuter friendly. I just got back from vacation in DC and NC and was surprised at how many bikers there were. i stick to the offroad trails for now.

JV_
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
‎... it's always nice when your chain comes off midway up a steep hill, during rush hour, with clipless shoes. At least I learned how to properly adjust a front derailleur!!

All it needed was a small adjustment on the lower limit screw.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
‎... it's always nice when your chain comes off midway up a steep hill, during rush hour, with clipless shoes. At least I learned how to properly adjust a front derailleur!!

All it needed was a small adjustment on the lower limit screw.

You weren't all the way over on the cassette opposite of the crank? This is called chainsuck and you should avoid it by changing gears on the crank.

JV_
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Yea, I know I shouldn't run both big gears (crossed), it causes chain stretch. It'll take a few more rides to move from theory to proper implementation.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Yea, I know I shouldn't run both big gears (crossed), it causes chain stretch. It'll take a few more rides to move from theory to proper implementation.

Yup. You get to know by feel and sound. I've had the chain come off crossing intersections. Not cool.

JV_
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I wish I bought a pump locally, I ordered one from Performance Bike. I hear they can be slow to ship.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Just stock up on C02 and the adaptor. Get a floor pump for home if you haven't already.

JV_
06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Yea, I have CO2 for my bag (16g). That's what I used for today's ride. I just don't want to keep burning them up because the vendor is slow to ship ... I'm cheap.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Don't be afraid to use C02! This is your time and it's better spent riding! Most ofnthe flats I've had were due to under inflation.

orionz06
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Yup. You get to know by feel and sound. I've had the chain come off crossing intersections. Not cool.

I had mine pop when I was clipped in riding in front of PNC Park where loads of people were in stands overlooking the rivers, city, and me as I gracefully got out of my pedals and tried to put my shit back together.

JV_
06-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Ever use www.mapmyride.com ? What a slick tool!!

fuse
06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Ever use www.mapmyride.com ? What a slick tool!!

Endomondo is another good one. Seems to use less battery, especially with low power mode enabled.

JV_
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Does it have a similar mapping system to let you pre-plan routes?

JV_
06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Almost 40 miles spread over 4 rides .... I'm enjoying it.

I definitely prefer the early AM workouts, the heat and humidity zap the energy needed to climb those hills.

LittleLebowski
06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Want. Now. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1051734209/tigr-titanium-lock-as-cool-as-your-bike)

turbolag23
06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Want. Now. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1051734209/tigr-titanium-lock-as-cool-as-your-bike)

thats a pretty cool looking lock. sounds like they are still in testing phases. will we see that or "the gadget" first?

orionz06
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM

I saw that before, kind of want one but I am very fortunate to park my bike inside in our shop beside one of the EOD robots my company makes. Otherwise I just ride for exercise without stopping.

LittleLebowski
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
thats a pretty cool looking lock. sounds like they are still in testing phases. will we see that or "the gadget" first?

No idea. Hopefully the Gadget. I've got a beta Gadget on my Glock right now that's in my Shaggy. Took it to the Vickers Advanced handgun and pistol class last weekend - gotta do that AAR!

orionz06
06-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Just switched back to wax based lube and after completely soaking the chain in mineral spirits and allowing a good coat of White Lighting to work its way in I probably won't go back to oil lubes. Tri-flow, Weapon Shield, and other concoctions all worked well but none were as nice as the wax based lube on a chain that is 100% oil free.

rsa-otc
06-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Wax based lube? Please educate this neobarb.

orionz06
06-26-2011, 05:43 AM
http://www.whitelightningco.com/

I liked it for some things like mountain riding and thought that the dust I have to ride by on parts of my commute would not be an issue with oil based lubes but after seeing what was on my chain and hearing it, I was clearly wrong.

LittleLebowski
06-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Wax based lubes are designed for dusty conditions. Add mud and you need to go back to oil based lubes. They are designed to flake off and you need to stay on top of checking your chain to see if you need to add more.

rsa-otc
06-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Appreciate the info. My current chain lube isn't cutting it. Attracts dirt even on pavement like a magnet. I'll most certainly give thus a try.

orionz06
06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Wax based lubes are designed for dusty conditions. Add mud and you need to go back to oil based lubes. They are designed to flake off and you need to stay on top of checking your chain to see if you need to add more.

White Lightning has held up great on my mountain bikes, better than oil in fact, even in soupy mud. It does not last as long, but it will sling the crud off better. Relubing every 20 miles is about the norm.

The oil on the road bike was just collecting way too much ultra fine road dust and started making noise after 10 miles or so.

Appreciate the info. My current chain lube isn't cutting it. Attracts dirt even on pavement like a magnet. I'll most certainly give thus a try.

There is certainly give and take but it is a small amount of work and $8, why not try it. I cannot stress enough on how clean the chain needs to be before hand. Removing it and soaking it is almost the only way.

One of these days I will try a paraffin soak, there are a few locals claiming 400-600 miles between even looking at the chain. If it gets me half that I will be happy.

rsa-otc
06-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Keep us abreast of hot the parafin soak works. That works out to be about 6 weeks at my summer training tempo. Oil based lubes are about a week at best. And what a mess to clean and relube. Changing a rear flat was no joy as well.

LittleLebowski
06-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Non chlorinated brake cleaner works quite well for completely degreasing my cassette and chain.

fuse
06-27-2011, 01:24 AM
I usually find the nastiest and cheapest industrial degreaser at autozone and soak the chain in there, rinse and repeat and few times. Wear gloves.

orionz06
06-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Non chlorinated brake cleaner works quite well for completely degreasing my cassette and chain.

For the most part, but soaking your chain after using brake cleaner will likely kick out some more crud. Once again though, the non-specialized (brake spray, mineral spirits) products work significantly better.

turbolag23
06-27-2011, 07:57 AM

i guess ill have to check into non chlorinated cleaner. use it on cars, guns, bikes and probably cheaper than the specialty cleaners for each.

the white lightning wax lube does build up crud on the cassette and chain rather quickly but it works well for on my mountain bike.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 08:38 AM
For the most part, but soaking your chain after using brake cleaner will likely kick out some more crud. Once again though, the non-specialized (brake spray, mineral spirits) products work significantly better.

Not following. You mentioned "brake cleaner" and brake cleaner" in two different lights.

The non chlorinated brake cleaner kicks out all crud that I can see. Makes it purty and saves me tons of time. I've only worn out one chain and now ride SRAM :cool: (Yes, I know SRAM will break but my LBS swears by its durability and reliability)

JV_
06-27-2011, 08:45 AM
My affinity for non toxic solutions lead me to Simple Green's foaming bike/chain cleaner. It seems to work pretty well.
http://www.bikebling.com/Simple-Green-Simply-Green-Foaming-Degreaser-20oz-p/simplegreen-foaming-20oz.htm

orionz06
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Not following. You mentioned "brake cleaner" and brake cleaner" in two different lights.

The non chlorinated brake cleaner kicks out all crud that I can see. Makes it purty and saves me tons of time. I've only worn out one chain and now ride SRAM :cool: (Yes, I know SRAM will break but my LBS swears by its durability and reliability)

Bike brand chain cleaning stuff sucks, the same brake cleaner you, myself, and others preach is lightyears ahead of anything you get at a bike shop, and cheaper. Despite how well it works though, soaking the chain, for me, brought out a ton more crud that did not appear to be there after brake cleaner and a good wipe and inspect with the chain off of the bike. It is likely marginal or a result of some really nasty stuff unique to the area I have to ride past (~1 mile in close proximity to railroad tracks, 1/2 mile on a compacted gravel path), but almost a teaspoon of crud came out after the non-soaking methods were used.

The major shops around here all LOVE SRAM chains.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I never see dust around here for the most part. Too humid.

Brake cleaner is so unbelievably fast (no brushing) that it's well worth the potential health risks that are mitigated by doing it outside anyway. Plus, I use it on my weapons as well.

So far, I'm happy with SRAM. Not as smooth but needs less adjusting, feels and looks more durable.

JV_
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
it's well worth the potential health risks that are mitigated by doing it outside anyway.My objection to toxic stuff isn't just about breathing it; Touching it, staining the driveway, killing grass, and other things bother me.

orionz06
06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I never see dust around here for the most part. Too humid.

That would be incredible. You have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it can be. Mud I can deal with, it generally sheds, but the sand and dust from this one damned unavoidable section of where I ride past is killing me.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 09:29 AM
That would be incredible. You have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it can be. Mud I can deal with, it generally sheds, but the sand and dust from this one damned unavoidable section of where I ride past is killing me.

Dealt with dust in SoCal on my old Fisher. Used White Lightning then.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
How is the bike, JV?

JV_
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Doing well. I ordered some custom wheels (white industries hubs, kinlin 270 rims, cx-ray spokes ... 1450g) which are due in shortly, that'll drop 1 lb from my wheel weight. I'm doing about 85 miles per week. I wish I had a compact crank (more specifically the 34 chain ring) for some of my hills ... I have an oddball 52/38.

I just fixed an issue in my BB30, there was a clicking caused by the outer metal plate that happened on every pedal stroke. I touched that up today and did another 23mi to confirm it's fixed.

Biking has been great for helping me drop some weight, I'm down nearly 25 lbs since memorial day, biking is at least half that.

orionz06
08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Which wheel builder did ya use? I am to the point where these RS10's are noticeably spinning up. Gotta take them in for a true/tension check.

JV_
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm running RS10s now ... it'll be my dedicated trainer wheel.

New wheels are:
http://www.zencyclery.com/road-2/katmandu.html

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I've got a clicking from my front wheel, guessing it could be the hub?

Doing a fair bit of mileage with the bike club. Friday, I towed my daughter in a bike trailer 25 miles and it was great.

JV_
08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I've got a clicking from my front wheel, guessing it could be the hub?Check the easiest thing first. A little grease on the skewer and the inside and outside of the dropout....

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I'll slap some Militec on there tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Trying FrogLube on the bike chain and my guns. I like the thought of non toxic, biodegradable lube.

Kyle Reese
08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Trying FrogLube on the bike chain and my guns. I like the thought of non toxic, biodegradable lube.

Froglube is the shit. I love it.

orionz06
08-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm running RS10s now ... it'll be my dedicated trainer wheel.

New wheels are:
http://www.zencyclery.com/road-2/katmandu.html

Hmmm. So many options now for wheels. It seems like $400-$700 can get a pretty good set of wheels though, relative to a non-racers needs.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
My bike mechanic told me to worry about new wheels when I wear the ones I have. Works for me.

JV_
08-19-2011, 05:39 AM
My bike mechanic told me to worry about new wheels when I wear the ones I have. Works for me.Some of my friends are very serious riders, 10K miles / year kind of riders, all said wheels are the single best upgrade you can make and feel the difference.

I'll let you know :) Your way is cheaper, and it depends on what you're currently riding.

LittleLebowski
08-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Some of my friends are very serious riders, 10K miles / year kind of riders, all said wheels are the single best upgrade you can make and feel the difference.

I'll let you know :) Your way is cheaper, and it depends on what you're currently riding.

I don't doubt it but since this bike is also my daily commuter, I cannnot justify the expense when five days a week, I'm riding it with 29 pounds or so of backpack on my back.

Plus, my bike is an 18.25 lb carbon fiber job :cool:

orionz06
08-19-2011, 07:22 AM
The LBS, who also down sold me from a more expensive bike, also suggested that I wait for a deficiency in the current wheels before replacing them. Noticing that they are not as stiff as they could be is not a deficiency so much for my intended use, but JV and I are both on $160 wheels. The lowest price TCR in 2009 (not sure of LL's year) came with wheels (Mavic Aksium) that are the most common upgrade for the bikes JV and I are riding.

JV_
08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
JV and I are both on $160 wheels.Yep, RS10s are junk.

LittleLebowski
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
I had a 2005 Giant TCR. Have no idea on what wheels it had. Now, I rock a 2010 GT GTR Sport (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/PlatinumProductDisplayView?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=400286&productId=1085680&platinumHome=400339) and like it a lot. I ride this bike almost everyday of the week. Only maintenance I've had to do is minor tuning and LocTiting a bolt on the crank that was loose.

JV_
08-19-2011, 09:46 AM
There's a Cervelo in my future, R5 w/ Campy Chorus ...

LittleLebowski
08-19-2011, 09:47 AM
There's a Cervelo in my future, R5 w/ Campy Chorus ...

It must be nice to be rich. I'll take your old wheels off of this bike then :D

orionz06
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, not sure why I thought you had the TCR now. Oh well, you still have wheels that are better than the RS10's. :(

The next bike I get, if it is higher dollar, will likely be a Cannondale SuperSix of some sort, CF of course.

JV_
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
It must be nice to be rich.I'm just dreaming. If I got anything, it'd be an R3. My engine needs work first... perhaps in 18 months.

orionz06
08-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Raised the seat a little since my fitting. Made a huge difference, pulled 20-22mph for over 2 miles where normally 19.6-19.8 was it. Took a shitty cell phone pic in the poorly lit (24 hour lights on in the AM) garage just because.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/112f8f0d-1.jpg

LittleLebowski
08-24-2011, 08:41 AM
So, what is your leg extension now? Knees slightly bent?

orionz06
08-24-2011, 08:47 AM

About slightly bent. I think the difference between being fit before and now is my pedal stroke. My feet have flattened out and I have less "flipper" motion. I am gonna call the guy who fit me and ask him if that sounds right. He mentioned that I will need to be refit as I ride more (and if anything hurts) and did also mention that I had some issues with my pedaling that might be best solved over the winter.

ETA: I had the woman take pics before and after and compared them to pics online, just to make sure I wasn't making changes that were radical. I was bent a good bit.

orionz06
09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Doing well. I ordered some custom wheels (white industries hubs, kinlin 270 rims, cx-ray spokes ... 1450g) which are due in shortly, that'll drop 1 lb from my wheel weight. I'm doing about 85 miles per week. I wish I had a compact crank (more specifically the 34 chain ring) for some of my hills ... I have an oddball 52/38.

Update on the wheels?

How's the froglube working? The wax soak didn't work too well, I am gonna assume that those who suggest it do not ride over 120 miles a week it may work better that way. I still need something that will help with dust. Gonna try some fancy firearms lubes now.

My bike mechanic told me to worry about new wheels when I wear the ones I have. Works for me.
The guy who sold me my bike and re-fit me this week said the same. Buy a new set (he had his own suggestion) when I really need them. So if something breaks, the wheels are stolen, or a tremendous deal comes along replace them, otherwise just ride.

Even less bent than before. He coached me around my pedal stroke in April and I have been on a trainer a few times with him, but the new shoes really put me over the top and he jacked the seat up. The professional fit is almost as good of a purchase as the bike itself.

JV_
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Update on the wheels?28 hole Kinlin 270s seem to be on backorder, I just changed it to a 20/24 w/ a 300 in the rear.

LittleLebowski
09-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Just found a broken spoke.....

JV_
09-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Just found a broken spoke.....I hope your wheels aren't like the Shimano RS10, proprietary parts and long lead times from Shimano.

LittleLebowski
09-06-2011, 06:10 AM
The FrogLube works very well. Dries to a paste consistency but warms up and becomes an oil while riding. Doesn't run all over the bike.

orionz06
09-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I hope your wheels aren't like the Shimano RS10, proprietary parts and long lead times from Shimano.

He has Mavic Aksiums. The shop probably has his spokes in stock.

The FrogLube works very well. Dries to a paste consistency but warms up and becomes an oil while riding. Doesn't run all over the bike.

Use it in the rain yet?

turbolag23
09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Just found a broken spoke.....

i've broken a half dozen rear spokes this season. i'm thinking its time for new wheels.
proprietary specialized wheels with miss-matched spokes now...

Tamara
09-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Suddenly my Broad Ripple SUV feels so... plebeian.

On the other hand, it hauls the groceries nicely; that rear basket was the best cycling dollars I've spent since buying the bike itself. Getting time to take it to the shop around the corner for its two-year checkup.

LittleLebowski
09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Use it in the rain yet?

Several times. No problems.

orionz06
09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Several times. No problems.

Cool. I am debating giving it a shot, pouring rain and gunk is killing me. Damp sand is all over the cassette and rear derailleur. Not sure if I am expecting too much in wet weather or I am just getting too much stuff thrown up in the drive train.

ETA: It seems like the 6" shorter wheelbase and significantly increased speed combined with a different terrain is what is killing me.

JV_
04-21-2013, 11:15 AM
And now it's gone .... I dropped my CAAD9 off at the shop so the frame can be traded in. I'm using Cannondale's frame upgrade program.

On Wednesday I'll pick up my SuperSix EVO HiMod!!
My SRAM Red, Quarq, and Wheels will transfer over.

LittleLebowski
04-21-2013, 11:16 AM
And now it's gone .... I dropped my CAAD9 off at the shop so the frame can be traded in. I'm using Cannondale's frame upgrade program.

On Wednesday I'll pick up my SuperSix EVO HiMod!!

Don't forget to update with pics!

fuse
04-22-2013, 08:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmErNJdRgEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've stopped following the Cannondale stuff for a few years. What's this new frame have over your CAAD9?

JV_
04-22-2013, 08:42 AM
What's this new frame have over your CAAD9?It's much lighter, but it will be a slightly smaller size (52cm vs. 54cm) and it has a smoother ride.

It's a great way to stay in shape.

orionz06
04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm super jealous.

fuse
04-22-2013, 10:13 AM
It's much lighter, but it will be a slightly smaller size (52cm vs. 54cm) and it has a smoother ride.

Cool. You should have just bought that frame on a new bike and sold your old one to JConn. For cheap.

Great way to stay in shape.

JV_
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Cool. You should have just bought that frame on a new bike and sold your old one to JConn. For cheap.

They gave me a credit for the frame that was equal to what I originally paid for the whole bike! In the used market, my old frame was only worth $300'ish, I got over 3X that much for the trade.

fuse
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
That is bananas.

bananas that you prevented JConn from such a good deal.

JV_
04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
bananas that you prevented JConn from such a good deal.I'm just paying him back for bailing on the IDPA match at Peacemaker a few weeks ago.

fuse
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
You guys need to enable the forum feature that allows mentioning/tagging people in posts ala facebook/twitter. Will make trolling in someone else's name make much more sense.

JV_
04-22-2013, 10:47 AM
You guys need to enable the forum feature that allows mentioning/tagging people in posts ala facebook/twitter. Will make trolling in someone else's name make much more sense.Yes, I've found myself wanting this feature more than a few times recently.

JConn
04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah I appreciate the trolling, great job guys great job.

JV_
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I need to glue my Quarq magnet to the frame, and I need a new seat post. Other than that, this is it:

JV_
04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh yea, I almost forgot. It's 15.6# (w/ cages).

orionz06
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Nobody likes a showoff.

JV_
04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Nobody likes a showoff.

It's OK, no body likes me anyway.

orionz06
04-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Saw that a local shop has a few Specialized road bikes with disc. Bike lust in overdrive now. I want a Cannondale but disc is awesome.

JV_
04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
I want a Cannondale but disc is awesome.Until their popularity comes up, getting the top tier hub manufacturers interested, I'm meh on them.

Slavex
04-30-2013, 07:44 AM
nice bike, what's the final cost on it?

JV_
04-30-2013, 07:52 AM
nice bike, what's the final cost on it?

I only paid $2500 for the frame, and moved over the groupset and power meter that I bought in December. I got the wheels a year ago.

If I did it all at once, $6500-7000.

Slavex
04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
oh my.

a buddy of mine just got a new Cannondale, not sure of the model, but it's all carbon fibre, including the wheels I believe. about the same price range as yours. gorgeous stuff.

JV_
04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
oh my.

Yea, I was avoiding adding up the total cost ... until you asked.

LittleLebowski
05-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Ever take it off of any sweet jumps?

I need to glue my Quarq magnet to the frame, and I need a new seat post. Other than that, this is it:

JV_
05-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Ever take it off of any sweet jumps?

Yea, Lots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

fuse
05-03-2013, 10:08 AM
and power meter

Damn. The shot timer of the serious cyclist.

JV_
05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Damn. The shot timer of the serious cyclist.Without the science/data side to it, training is much less fun. I'm already seeing some significant power gains, with only 3 months of training.

bdcheung
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Without the science/data side to it, training is much less fun. I'm already seeing some significant power gains, with only 3 months of training.

:-D

So you're at what... 4.65 W/kg?

JV_
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
So you're at what... 4.65 W/kg?Not even close, unfortunately. And based on your Waterfall climbs, you're way stronger than I am.

At 70kg, I have a pretty low FTP. But, I can approach 1000W in a sprint. Many of my rides end up with an IF a lot higher than 1.0, because I can sprint a lot better than I can hold power for long durations. The sprinting really skews my NP.

rsa-otc
05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
This thread is reminding me I need to get on my bike this weekend.

Slavex
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
This thread inspired me to take my bike out today. Nursing a couple injuries still, but it was a good ride.

JV_
05-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Great! The weather has been beautiful around here, but today was an off day for me. I'll be out bright and early.

JDM
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Yea, Lots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Having spent the majority of my childhood, teenage, and young adult years executing much of what was depicted in the video on bikes specifically built for it, that was g-d d--n impressive. Wow!

NickA
05-04-2013, 09:31 AM
At 70kg, I have a pretty low FTP. But, I can approach 1000W in a sprint. Many of my rides end up with an IF a lot higher than 1.0, because I can sprint a lot better than I can hold power for long durations. The sprinting really skews my NP.
Clearly I wasn't serious enough when I was into cycling because I have no idea what the heck you're talking about :D
Nice ride. I need to either get off my rear and start riding again or sell off my stuff for gun money. Might keep the fixed gear bike just so I can torture myself though.

JV_
05-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Clearly I wasn't serious enough when I was into cycling because I have no idea what the heck you're talking about :D

In gun terms, I showed up for an AFHF class with a pair of custom Heirloom 1911s and ran a 9s FAST.

I'm new to cycling but I'm ready to learn and I have all of the tools needed to get better.

JV_
05-27-2013, 04:33 PM
From today's ride:
(42 miles - 4600' of elevation gain)

Corlissimo
05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I just started reading this thread and found it odd nobody mentioned "Chamois Butt-R" when the topic of spandex came up. But, you've probably already found it, or similar so I'll move on to the next item...

Reminds me of this:

http://youtu.be/wmErNJdRgEM

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.

JV_
05-27-2013, 07:22 PM
found it odd nobody mentioned "Chamois Butt-R" when the topic of spandex came up. But, you've probably already found it, or similar so I'll move on to the next item...I'm lucky, I don't need it.

Reminds me of this:I was quoting that clip from post #99 :)
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1102-New-Wheels&p=130793&viewfull=1#post130793

Corlissimo
05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm lucky, I don't need it.

I was quoting that clip from post #99 :)
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1102-New-Wheels&p=130793&viewfull=1#post130793

You are lucky. But then again, I probably need it because I'm a Super Clydesdale and could start fires with the friction buildup when I ride sometimes. :p

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.

JV_
09-26-2013, 05:36 AM
And the stable grows ....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a3VVMCYxYb0/UkNEzARuE8I/AAAAAAAACPk/-BjFwMddVLs/w720-h570-no/felt.jpg

Slavex
09-26-2013, 06:16 AM
well then, my new road bike for the summer next year. Hydraulic disc brakes, Ultegra Di2 shifting. lots of fun. Shows up probably this winter, but I won't take it home until it's paid for, which I'd planned on being March sometime

JV_
09-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Very nice. I like the Di2 and Hydraulic Disc choices. I'm sure it'll ride like a dream.

I'm sure ToddG approves of your color choice :cool:

LittleLebowski
09-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Need some mud on that bike! Congrats, looking forward to hearing about it.

And the stable grows ....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a3VVMCYxYb0/UkNEzARuE8I/AAAAAAAACPk/-BjFwMddVLs/w720-h570-no/felt.jpg

JV_
09-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Need some mud on that bike! Congrats, looking forward to hearing about it.It's coated in dust, I went out exploring for gravel roads last night.