PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on SHOT 2014

GJM
01-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I only made it to one state away from SHOT, and with the caveat that I am not as smart nor classy as Bill Riehl, here are my thoughts.

Remington made a big splash with their new 9mm, and the PF thread has reached 16 pages. This new pistol was greeted with the enthusiasm of a new, pretty girl moving to the neighborhood in high school. We wanted to believe, suspended our normal caution, and gushed openly, despite the obvious -- this is a Remington product (the people that managed to screw up the 870), it is 3/4 as big as a 1911, it holds not many rounds, it costs about what a Keltec does, and it has a grip safety. Early reports are you won’t need to get to day 2 of a South Narc class, to realize the grip safety is a problem. Given the investment Crimson Trace has made in lasers, my guess is they suspended belief too. You heard it here -- I am predicting Remington does something similar to the batteries for life Crimson Trace program, and include six heavy duty rubber bands with each pistol, plus a free rubber bands for life guarantee, so you can disable the grip safety like Jeff Cooper did with a 1911.

Springfield Armory hit it out of the park. Riding the grip safety frenzy stoked by Remington, they doubled down on the XDs, to go with a four inch “long barrel” model of their popular pocket pistol. My guess is they have two pistols on back order, one each for Robbie Leatham and his wife, with another dozen in manufacturing, targeting the ten remaining handgun enthusiasts without an internet connection, who primarily rely on Guns and Ammo for their information on what is good.

HK did it again. Building on their reputation of refreshing their products at least every other decade, they did what they are known for -- absolutely nothing. They have been working night and day trying to put the P30 spiderman grip on on the P2000SK, knowing that is all there is between them and military contracts worldwide. Now we learn, that rather than announce a product, and have a delay getting product on the shelves, they will push back their striker announcement until the NRA show (at which point they will announce and have product out there.) This is what all that translates to from German to English -- “oh crap another year with nothing new. Let’s say it will come at NRA, but leave out what year NRA.” Wayne Weber is no doubt busy at SHOT with his iPhone sneaking pictures of Glock, FNS, M&P and Walther pistols to send them back to Germany in hard copy, since Germany doesn’t have email, to explain to them again what a striker pistol looks like.

GunBlast is my evening fix for SHOT show developments. The GunBlast dude hasn’t realized cool beards look like Costa, and aren’t so long they can have pony tails. Doesn’t he realize nobody gives a crap about the 134 new AR15 variants introduced, and all we watch his video for is to see the booth babes. I think he needs a far greater focus on the babes and cool it with all the AR footage. Oh, and that Weaver stance modified with an Eric Graufel finger on the trigger guard grip isn’t doing it for me.

Another disappointment, was there was no sign of something I thought was a sure bet -- an SME branded line of tactical clothing. I thought for sure that there would be a heavy duty orange SME polo, stiffened to help the draw, and with a special lining to keep from being worn through by sharp rear sights. It would be optimized for a seven yard draw, repeated 10 times.

Based on PF page count, as well as the rest of the interwebs, the biggest story of 2014 is the Glock 42. With the operators, this thing has a disapproval rating higher than Sarah Palin in Madison, Wisconsin. Slowly, though, the resistance is fading, and even the cool boys are sneaking off and buying them. Consider this:

Chuck Haggard has already identified what serial number ranges are the most reliable.

Bill Riehl has decided that carrying a pair, coated with his special finish, in a top of the line leather shoulder holster, will make chicks find him not just smart but also sexy.

Gary Roberts has stippled a 42, and mounted the prototype G42 Unity Atom top end with a T1. He still fusses about how much better he shoots his S&W .380 Bodyguard, but I notice he is carrying the 42.

Even Bolke is curious. I hear Wayne Dobbs has one, and Darryl is sneaking over to try it in his small Havasu fanny pack now that the P30sk didn’t happen this year.

Gardone has bought both a Glock 42 and a Beretta Pico. Every three days he issues a manifesto in his training journal, proclaiming either the 42 or the Pico, in successive entries, to be his choice for life. A secondary benefit is the barrel on both pistols is short enough, it doesn’t look so much in his video like he is muzzling everyone else in the range.

That old saying “guys talk .45, shoot a 9, and carry a .38,” is perhaps needing a revision.

Most troubling, I hear that even Tam wants one. Apparently her plan is to go buy one just before closing in disguise. She has one of the new 2014 Jessie Duff lycra tops, from the Jessie Duff GM clothing line, she will wear. The front has just a copy of Jessie’s GM card, and the back of the jersey has each of her GM classifier scores, along with a short rebuttal from Dr. No in small print at the bottom, explaining why she is just a grandbagger.

TheTrevor
01-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Epic. Best SHOT coverage of 2014. Bravo, bravo!

Not bad for an arctic thug.

Mr_White
01-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Lulz!!!!

PPGMD
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
You forgot one thing, Hk decided that jump on the KeyMod bandwagon, which is a great thing.

Typical Hk, they completely screw up the design. From the pictures it is obvious that the slots are backward, and some are reporting that they are out of spec too. And it is not like it is some sort of patent issue that they have to work around, Vltor released the KeyMod standard free to the industry.

joshs
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
You forgot one thing, Hk decided that jump on the KeyMod bandwagon, which is a great thing.

Typical Hk, they completely screw up the design. From the pictures it is obvious that the slots are backward, and some are reporting that they are out of spec too. And it is not like it is some sort of patent issue that they have to work around, Vltor released the KeyMod standard free to the industry.

I wonder if they flipped the slots because the different recoil impulse of their piston system. I know the SCAR generates some pretty substantial forward Gs, so maybe HK's piston does as well.

YVK
01-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Well done.

I've heard CZ had to close down their booth because all babes they brought in from Prague for authenticity found themselves US husbands in 7 minutes after clearing customs.

I am pretty sure HK rail is intentional.

PPGMD
01-16-2014, 10:11 PM
I wonder if they flipped the slots because the different recoil impulse of their piston system. I know the SCAR generates some pretty substantial forward Gs, so maybe HK's piston does as well.

When questioned about why they did it, Hks response is unprintable here. As it started with "F, ended with "you", and had "uck" in the middle.

TheTrevor
01-16-2014, 10:18 PM
When questioned about why they did it, Hks response is unprintable here. As it started with "F, ended with "you", and had "uck" in the middle.

"Friend, it's just our luck that someone noticed, and it turned out to be you..."

PPGMD
01-16-2014, 10:25 PM
"Friend, it's just our luck that someone noticed, and it turned out to be you..."

Hilarious, though you missed one criteria, it has to be unprintable here.

joshs
01-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Hilarious, though you missed one criteria, it has to be unprintable here.

It is unprintable here because it implies that HK could have done something wrong. I'll be taking it down shortly . . .

SecondsCount
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
GJM, that was awesome! A+

Chuck Haggard
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Guys in cold wintery places obviously have a lot of time to think about stuff while snowed in.

And exactly how does one get internets from inside an igloo?

PPGMD
01-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Satellite internet. Though he has to go outside at least once an hour with a broom to clear snow off of the dish.

Tamara
01-16-2014, 10:51 PM
It's like I was there!

GJM
01-16-2014, 10:54 PM
It's like I was there!

We all dare you to post a picture in your Jessie Duff lycra.

Savage Hands
01-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Epic, I can't wait for next year.

Chefdog
01-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Where's that damn golf clap emoticon???

justintime
01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
I feel like I was there! It's funny how no one wanted to touch 380 with a ten foot pole but now it's the big new thing. Atleast 380'brass will hurt less to the face! :p

Edit: tam beat me to the punch

TheTrevor
01-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Guys in cold wintery places obviously have a lot of time to think about stuff while snowed in.

IP/CP (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt)*, of course.

*IP over Carrier Pigeon

Dagga Boy
01-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Reality check...we are chained in the booth. If it is not between Aimpoint and the bathroom I haven't seen it. If I knew where Glock was I wouldn't even be there to watch a drool feat over a .380. I actually would like to see the G41. On the way in this morning carrying a case if water we briefly stopped at CZ who had a pretty neat polymer framed hammer fired 9mm with a 19 round mag.

When the uber bad a** arms makers of Vallhalla say you my lay your mortal hands on true striker perfection you can. Until then you will have to wait patiently.

Every inch of my body hurts and I am way past my SHOT show 8:00 bedtime. Good night haters...;-).

Timbonez
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
One of the best threads I've read in a while. The OP was great and the responding posts were hilarious.

LHS
01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
You forgot "LHS rants about how Beretta won't make the 92 variants he wants again."

GJM
01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
You forgot "LHS rants about how Beretta won't make the 92 variants he wants again."

I have some info on that, and it might be very good news for 92G/SD fans. Hope to learn more and be able to share in the next week or two.

LHS
01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
I have some info on that, and it might be very good news for 92G/SD fans. Hope to learn more and be able to share in the next week or two.

You are such a tease...

Gary1911A1
01-18-2014, 07:41 AM

Please keep us informed. I'd like to have a SD.

Dr. No
01-18-2014, 10:44 PM
GM Lycra you say ... rotfl

RoyGBiv
01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Some interesting comments in my local range newsletter today... Worth sharing, I thought.

SOURCE (http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Happy-Hour-Returns--Glock-42-Reviewed--Up-to-85--Off-Memberships--and-More-.html?soid=1109071842842&aid=AMrSJJRzfFo)
Dear Friends,
People ask me all the time, "How was the SHOT Show"? Just okay. Didn't see a whole lot of new stuff this year, and frankly, the trade show is truly oriented to manufacturers and distributors, not ranges.

Each year, the sponsoring organization offers training for ranges in retailing, ATF compliance, FFL transfers, inventory management. We attended none the first year, one the second year, several in the third year, and quite a few this year.

But we didn't get much out of them. In a seminar on marketing to women, a panelist actually suggested saying "Hi" to customers when they enter the range and having a web site. Really? This is where we are as an industry? In a seminar on increasing inventory turns and raising the sales/square foot, neither topic was actually addressed by the speakers.

At the state of the industry dinner, the trade organization told us that it was a really, really great year! Well, it was for companies that manufacture guns and ammo, but it wasn't great for those of us who couldn't obtain either one for sale at a reasonable price. So it wasn't a great year for you, the end customers.

We have to figure out a way to band together and raise the bar on expectations in the firearms industry. We really do have to market to women. We really do have to ALL have web sites and Facebook. We must learn to manage inventory better.

We have to welcome all the new shooters who have no firearms experience and help them learn enough about firearms to have fun at the range and be safe at all times.

The question is, "how do we raise the bar"?
Feels like there's a business opportunity in there somewhere...

jetfire
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
On the Beretta front, they are totally making the 92 compact again, which is awesome.

I also have a direct quote from a senior Beretta employee about the future of the Elite line. Related, Beretta is actually quite aware of and amused by the change.org petition to bring back the Elite II.

LHS
01-29-2014, 07:40 PM
On the Beretta front, they are totally making the 92 compact again, which is awesome.

I also have a direct quote from a senior Beretta employee about the future of the Elite line. Related, Beretta is actually quite aware of and amused by the change.org petition to bring back the Elite II.

I'm assuming this direct quote is something you're not allowed to share?

And they're making the 92 Compact... in Stainless, with a rail. It's better than nothing, but for chrissakes, couldn't they make it in black and maybe put a dovetailed front sight on it?

I've also yet to actually see one of the INOX compacts in the flesh at a store. I asked my LGS if they could order one, and the guy literally laughed at me.

jetfire
01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
They're making it black as well.

I honestly have no idea if I can share it or not, but because it was said in a close-door meeting I assume it was confidential.

LHS
01-30-2014, 12:12 AM
They're making it black as well.

The had the black one at SHOT 2013, but it remained vaporware. I do hope they make it this year, I'll have one.

I honestly have no idea if I can share it or not, but because it was said in a close-door meeting I assume it was confidential.

Understood, no worries.

Timbonez
01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm assuming this direct quote is something you're not allowed to share?

And they're making the 92 Compact... in Stainless, with a rail. It's better than nothing, but for chrissakes, couldn't they make it in black and maybe put a dovetailed front sight on it?

I've also yet to actually see one of the INOX compacts in the flesh at a store. I asked my LGS if they could order one, and the guy literally laughed at me.

They're out there. My Cabela's and a local gun store stock them.

JSGlock34
03-06-2014, 10:16 PM

GJM - Another Beretta thread reminded me to check this one - any more info on this?

GJM
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Still waiting, but hopefully there will be info soon.