PDA

View Full Version : My brain hurts, so can someone else carry the burden of this?

BaiHu
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
The title: California aims to make anyone who assembles their firearm at home on a 3-D printer undergo background checks in an effort to clamp down on GHOST GUNS

A U.S. state is looking to extend its requirement that gun buyers undergo background checks and register their weapons to anyone who assembles a firearm in their home.
The legislation by California state Senator Kevin de Leon is part of a growing effort across the country to pre-empt the spread of undetectable guns that can be made using 3-D printers.
His bill would also apply to anyone who buys parts that can be assembled into a gun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
His bill, SB808, would allow the manufacture or assembly of homemade weapons, but require the makers to first apply to the state Department of Justice for a serial number that would be given only after the applicants undergo a background check.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2539111/California-aims-make-assembles-firearm-home-3-D-printer-undergo-background-checks-effort-clamp-GHOST-GUNS.html#ixzz2qOTxkkVP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

:confused: Ain't that how it goes anyway in order to get a receiver? Educate me, please.

Bigguy
01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
http://www.eparmory.com/EP80-Receiver-Black-p/ep80black.htm
If I understand correctly, no serial number, no FFL.

BaiHu
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
In NJ you need to get the lower through your FFL. California gets weirder every time I hear more about it *head scratching emoticon*

TheTrevor
01-14-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what any of you are talking about... this is an attempt to push state control and serial-number registration of 80% lowers (Google it) and the legally-equivalent 3D-printed lowers.

80% lowers are the province of the Feds, specifically the ATF, and I hope someone reminds deLeon of this during the legislative session. He's replaced Leland Yee as the head of the civilian-disarmament industry in CA state government, BTW.

BaiHu
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
This is why I'm confused. California doesn't already regulate this? Being from Jersey, I was perplexed. As for the 3D stuff, that's very complicated to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TheTrevor
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
This is why I'm confused. California doesn't already regulate this? Being from Jersey, I was perplexed. As for the 3D stuff, that's very complicated to me.

Ignore the 3D printing stuff, that's fear-mongering. They're really after 80% lowers, and I was not aware that any states had tried to supersede Federal rule-making with any requirements for the registration or transfer of owner-completed 80% lowers. That's by way of saying that it's perfectly legal in CA to buy an 80% lower and finish it for your own use. As long as you don't try to transfer it, you aren't manufacturing for sale, and it's all legit.

And no, CA doesn't regulate anything about 80% lowers. The Feds say it's good to go, and if they've ruled that an 80% lower is not a firearm and that you can make guns for your own use, then CA is on shaky ground trying to further regulate such. IMHO.

We are actually winning some battles here, y'know. I would venture to say that, California's gun-control reputation notwithstanding, NJ is an order of magnitude worse for gun owners in most respects.

BaiHu
01-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes, apparently.