PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Asimov predicts what today's world will look like, 50 years ago in the NYT...

Totem Polar
01-11-2014, 11:49 PM
And does a pretty good job. Guy was on it.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/isaac-asimov-predicts-what-the-world-will-look-in-2014.html

“Communications will become sight-sound and you will see as well as hear the person you telephone. The screen can be used not only to see the people you call but also for studying documents and photographs and reading passages from books..."

PPGMD
01-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Who was the Psychohistorian that he used to make those predictions? :p

PPGMD
01-12-2014, 11:57 AM
*Archer*
The people that predicted the future in Asimov's 1951 novel Foundation

What does no one read books around here?
*/Archer*

:p

Anyways I read the original NYT article (http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/23/lifetimes/asi-v-fair.html). He makes a lot of predictions. A couple like the computers/screens he hits out of the park. Another handful more like Kitchen units are close enough, though some of the close enough exist but not in a form that normal people can afford (like the polarizing glass windows). And the rest are just completely wrong, like predicting that we would be using nuclear isotopes to power everything.

So though I think his predictions are better than Helga with her cards and crystal ball, he wasn't that accurate IMO.

MDS
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
And the rest are just completely wrong, like predicting that we would be using nuclear isotopes to power everything.

Some people are wrong because other people are stupid.

TGS
01-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Please don't repeat that phrase, because 99% of wrong people are going to let it go to their head.

PPGMD
01-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Do you really want a world where bubba and his "tool kit" have a chance to "fix" a radioisotope battery?

And lets not forget Achmed.

MDS
01-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Do you really want a world where bubba and his "tool kit" have a chance to "fix" a radioisotope battery?

And lets not forget Achmed.

I hereby declare TGS' law proven. Let's agree to disagree - the debate would be more contentious than 9mm vs 45, with the added detraction that it's purely mental masturbation. Whatever I think, I'll have to settle for a little tritium in my pants...

Drang
01-12-2014, 11:25 PM
*Archer*
The people that predicted the future in Asimov's 1951 novel Foundation

What does no one read books around here?
*/Archer*

Wait! Are you saying there are those who didn't read that, say "duh", and move on?

PPGMD
01-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Wait! Are you saying there are those who didn't read that, say "duh", and move on?

You'd be surprised, despite being one of the god fathers of science fiction a lot of SciFi fans that haven't read his books. Though to be honest they can be a might trying to read, particularly the Foundation series after the first book.