PDA

View Full Version : Sig Slide Rumor Question

Jaywalker
01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
I was thinking about buying a Sig P229 and called my LEO dealer to discuss options. On this call, the lady mentioned that their Sig P229 orders would all be with "the legacy slide." After some humorous "who's on first"-type questions, I gained the impression that at least the 229 was reverting to an older configuration. She knew nothing more than the term "legacy slide," however.

I then called Sig Customer Service (CS) to enquire whether they knew of any slide changes, and specifically if the change might involve a reversion to the older short extractors. CS knew nothing about any slide changes, either short extractor or any other.

Do you think there's something to this? Word on this kind of thing does tend to leak out to customers (distributors, for instance), who then don't understand the manufacturer had wanted to keep it quiet.

I was seriously considering rolling the dice with a current 229; a short extractor would definitely put me over the top.

Rich
01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Cool I like the older slides.

I hate the -1 Slide and long extractor Sigs.

My 98 legacy P229 in 40cal has proven trust worthy over the yrs.

Only problems Ive had was when I bought some L-SWC to reload. My P229 wouldn't feed them at all.

Other than that it is a ammo whore

runcible
01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Sig has made numerous tweaks to the P229 in the last few years, to include alterations to the slide dimensions and the serrations. The most recent I'd heard advertised was the changes to the 9mm guns to make them E2 compatible and standardize a few things. It has made holster fit... Interesting, of late.

tomr
01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Is it possibly this? (and maybe most don't know of this).... Sigs coming into California for last half year or so, have loaded chamber indicator's located prominently on top of slides. Rumor had it Sig had made this change trying to anticipate Cal DOJ changes, even though they didn't need to as their existing pistols, already "approved" by DOJ didn't have them. By no means do not have the whole story. But I have seen these indicators.

runcible
01-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Not as I understand it. Legacy slide refers to a particular configuration separate of that. Before the slides got funky, it used to refer to railless P229's of the "classic" arrangement/config.

Jaywalker
01-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Not as I understand it. Legacy slide refers to a particular configuration separate of that. Before the slides got funky, it used to refer to railless P229's of the "classic" arrangement/config.Thanks - that sounds reasonable.

Jaywalker
01-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Impact Guns has at least one "legacy slide" P229, and the saleslady says the only difference is "old style half serrations." Some of the Sig forums also mention the legacy slide to have the short extractor, and at least one mentioned a rumor that all 229s were moving to the legacy slide, whatever that might mean. You'd think if they were already shipping, Sig Customer Service would be willing to discuss it, however.

ETA: Leaving aside the term "Legacy" for a moment, here's a pic from the Sig website: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229-two-tone.aspx Note the half-height serrations and the short extractor, so at least some are shipping that way.

John Hearne
01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
The last time I was in Sig armorer's class, they referred to the older style, smaller extractor as the legacy slide.

John Hearne
01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
In other Sig extractor news, Gray Guns has announced the impending availability of a tool steel replacement extractor for the "short" or legacy extractor. No word yet on available calibers but these hold a lot of promise for the serious Sig shooter.

NEPAKevin
01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
I noticed the "legacy slide" terminology appear when SIG came out with the x-change packages and to my understanding refers to slides that are supposed to fit frames stamped "made in Germany."

JV_
01-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Gray guns should do a long extractor too.