PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the al Qaeda watches Archer??

BaiHu
01-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Perhaps I'm naive and completely out of the loop and this is old news, so forgive me if I'm late to the party. However, now that al Qaeda has a firm grip on Fallujah, I can't help but notice that they are calling it ISIS. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria....

ToddG
01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I think your egg is trying to lay a chicken...

BaiHu
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Thought that might be the case. I still found it amusing though.

LHS
01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
If someone told them that ISIS was an Egyptian goddess, would they collectively stroke out and die from the shame of inadvertently blaspheming?

BaiHu
01-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Well played LHS!

Drang
01-08-2014, 11:39 AM
If someone told them that ISIS was an Egyptian goddess, would they collectively stroke out and die from the shame of inadvertently blaspheming?Gal at the Charbux I stopped at yesterday is named Aliah. But with the typeface they use on their nametags, I thought her name was "Allah"...

Nephrology
01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm reasonably sure that the people involved in the Fallujah and Ramadi insurgencies are not up to date with the acronyms that come from transliterating their name into english...

BaiHu
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm reasonably sure that the people involved in the Fallujah and Ramadi insurgencies are not up to date with the acronyms that come from transliterating their name into english...

Wooooooh! Now wait a minute, they must know, b/c they saw that YouTube video: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/09/27/feds-arrest-mohammed-filmmaker-on-probation-violation/

:p

RoyGBiv
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Apologies for the non-animated diversion.
Was reading this (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/08/why-you-need-to-read-and-care-about-the-the-name-of-the-al-qaeda-group-that-just-gained-strength-in-iraq/) this morning.

Is the group named “the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria”? Or the “Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant”? ISIS or ISIL?

‘Al-Sham’ refers to Bilad al-Sham which was the name given to the area comprising today’s Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria during the period of rule by the Arab caliphs – the Rashidun, Umayyads and Abassids. Today, many Arabs and Islamists still use this term, which is meant to denote that Arab and Islamic rule is the natural and just state for the entirety of this area and that the subsequent Ottoman, western and of course Israeli borders are entirely un-natural and should cease to exist.