PDA

View Full Version : No more backpacks, only clear plastic bags??

BaiHu
01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Ok, I hope you're sitting.

http://feedly.com/k/1ei7Hqp

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JV_
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
It's popular with many schools and school districts, it goes back to at least 2004'ish.
http://ohma.hubpages.com/hub/Back-to-school-with-Clear-Backpacks

BaiHu
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Wow! Crazy retarded. I'm dated :-( my apologies...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ARonBoard
01-07-2014, 08:24 AM
The NFL has adopted the same policy for all football game attendees.

Interesting to see it in a school where textbooks are lugged around, but I heard those are going away too.

Chuck Haggard
01-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I had like 50 pounds of books when I was going to school. How in the hell is a guy supposed to carry anything in some BS clear plastic baggy pack?

And who is the idiot that thinks this will magically make contraband visible?

Tamara
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
It's been fifteen years since the whole clear/mesh bookbag thing has been going on in some school districts.

Kid's been going through metal detectors and carrying a clear bookbag since he was 6, what is he going to consider an "unreasonable" search when he's 26?

Dagga Boy
01-07-2014, 09:30 AM
My kid has to have one for school. I did find a pretty heavy duty one for her on-line. She is probably the only kid in school who also has a plate in hers.....:eek:.

BaiHu
01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I just don't understand why we keep up this 'reactivity'. A shoe bomber caused all Americans to wear flip flops to the airport. We can't even have nail clippers, even though no one has ever hijacked anything with a pair of nail clippers (well, maybe MacGyver??). We have laws and if those laws are broken, then bad things happen and if we're lucky the bad people get punished. If we keep this minority report-esque theme going, we will literally live in Orwell's 1984. Soon, kids will go to school in see through clothing except for their underwear and bras if we keep this train of thought moving down the track of well intentioned absurdity.

ETA: Great point, Tam, regarding what kids will think is 'unreasonable' in the future.

PT Doc
01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
My kid has to have one for school. I did find a pretty heavy duty one for her on-line. She is probably the only kid in school who also has a plate in hers.....:eek:.

I've considered this for my little guy. Just curious, but are school officials aware and best way to explain to kids why it shouldn't be discussed among friends or used to score "cool" points? What type plate? TIA

LOKNLOD
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Kid's been going through metal detectors and carrying a clear bookbag since he was 6, what is he going to consider an "unreasonable" search when he's 26?

Thanks for reminding me of the soul-crushing death of the concept of freedom, I needed that this morning.

BN
01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
http://www.myclearbackpack.com/

BaiHu
01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Let me ask the LEOs here this: If clear backpacks are the wave of the future, then everyone becomes complacent that you can't hide anything in a clear backpack, right? So.....eventually you'll have people hiding things in plain sight, no?

Tamara
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for reminding me of the soul-crushing death of the concept of freedom, I needed that this morning.

Don't worry, your federally-approved insurance plan will cover pills to make you feel better about it.

UNK
01-07-2014, 10:37 AM
It must depend on the area. My son carries his in a digital camo Marine logo'd 2 day pack. Its full and heavy.

justintime
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I think it goes back further than that because my elementary school made us use mesh backpacks so teachers could see if we had weapons. They did this all the way through middle school ie 2001-200

Both high schools I went to did not have that policy. They did however routinely have drug dogs do runs on the bags/lockers and random drug testing.

Nephrology
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I think it goes back further than that because my elementary school made us use mesh backpacks so teachers could see if we had weapons. They did this all the way through middle school ie 2001-200

Both high schools I went to did not have that policy. They did however routinely have drug dogs do runs on the bags/lockers and random drug testing.

Whoa. What?? you had random UAs in your high school??

justintime
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Yup, keyword "random" but strangely it seemed like the same kids were always getting called in lol. I don't remember what the consequences were but I think they just took your parking pass, in school suspended you, and told your parents if you failed. This was Boerne High School for reference

Chuck Whitlock
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM

How times change. I graduated in1987 in Corpus. Carried a full size butterfly knife next to my wallet for the whole 3 years. This was known to at least my NJROTC instructors. I guess back then educators were allowed to use judgement.

RoyGBiv
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
http://www.myclearbackpack.com/

More security theater.

http://www.myclearbackpack.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_735bb/tn_480_3c53b2098ecd4dd1c2b4576b521228f4.jpg.png

Easily defeated by...
http://www.an-c.dk/vendetta/story8/51gun.jpg

Chuck Haggard
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Soon we will all have to walk around nekid carrying everything in clear backpacks.

NickA
01-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Yup, keyword "random" but strangely it seemed like the same kids were always getting called in lol. I don't remember what the consequences were but I think they just took your parking pass, in school suspended you, and told your parents if you failed. This was Boerne High School for reference

Drugs in Boerne?! Say it ain't so ;)

How times change. I graduated in1987 in Corpus. Carried a full size butterfly knife next to my wallet for the whole 3 years. This was known to at least my NJROTC instructors. I guess back then educators were allowed to use judgement.

I graduated in '90, but more north Texas. IIRC they were pretty harsh on any kind of "weapons".
My memory may be off but I'm pretty sure we also had random dope dog checks of the parking lot and lockers even then. I know we had them, just not if they were random or in response to something.
Might have been because we had a LOT of drugs (small town, but was kind of a crossroads between several major cities, and large dope seizures on the highway weren't uncommon).

LHS
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
TSA approved!

BaiHu
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Soon we will all have to walk around nekid carrying everything in clear backpacks.

If we keep this minority report-esque theme going, we will literally live in Orwell's 1984. Soon, kids will go to school in see through clothing except for their underwear and bras if we keep this train of thought moving down the track of well intentioned absurdity.

Same thought, different page....mmm, does this mean we're still on the same page? Well, now we are :p

Erik
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Just looking around me right this minute, I can say with confidence that's not all bad. It's not all good, mind you, but it's not all bad.

PPGMD
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Just looking around me right this minute, I can say with confidence that's not all bad. It's not all good, mind you, but it's not all bad.

Unless you live, and work in the Fashion District of NYC you will see things that can not be unseen.

Erik
01-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Unless you live, and work in the Fashion District of NYC you will see things that can not be unseen.

We have a small gym on site. It's too late for me already.

Robert Mitchum
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Plastic bags put Pruno in them and place in toilet.
Or you can choke someone to death with them have seen used both ways a few times .. good old plastic bags... ;)

RoyGBiv
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I graduated in '90, but more north Texas. IIRC they were pretty harsh on any kind of "weapons".
At my big-city, inner-city HS the thugs and delinquents would take the metal forks from the cafeteria, wrap the handles around their fists with the tines up front, then spread the tines out to make a poke-yer-eye-out version of forked knuckles.

Nobody ever got in trouble for carrying a fork.

Was kinda like prison, I suppose.

TGS
01-07-2014, 04:49 PM

I can see the Army adopting clear uniforms to compliment their liability-stricken culture and glow belts.

Slavex
01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Do those bags come with instructions to not place over the head or allow children/infants to play with them?

TheTrevor
01-08-2014, 01:53 AM
At my big-city, inner-city HS the thugs and delinquents would take the metal forks from the cafeteria, wrap the handles around their fists with the tines up front, then spread the tines out to make a poke-yer-eye-out version of forked knuckles.

Nobody ever got in trouble for carrying a fork.

Was kinda like prison, I suppose.

This is why we can't have nice things, like metal forks on airplanes. Because: thugs.

OlongJohnson
08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Just found out that the local school district where I live is now requiring clear backpacks. We're within an hour of Santa Fe, TX.

I don't have kids affected, but it has made me think back to my youth. I hope there are some guys who carry extra pairs of underwear, a copy of American Handgunner, etc. Can't be too prepared...

If one guy carries a pair of underwear, he's a troublemaker. If 1500 guys carry extra underwear to school every day...

Bergeron
08-21-2018, 04:28 PM
I attended an “inner city” middle school in the early-mid nineties, and the plastic/mesh book bag requirement showed up.

As has been mentioned earlier, the “security theater” nature of this approach is multi fold:

1.) No one is looking closely into the bags in the sane manner that no one notices a gun printing underneath clothes.

2.) Anyone who can’t hide a useful weapon inside a clear or mesh bag that will pass a metal detector simply is not trying hard enough.

3.) Useful improvised weapons are available all around a school.

4.) If it’s heavy enough, the bag can be useful as both a shield and as an impact weapon.

And if all that’s not enough, the clear plastic bags were delicate trash, and the mesh bags were only slightly better.