PDA

View Full Version : Cut-off point for start of G19 issues??

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi all. Just joined the forum after coming across it when doing some glock research. I own a G19 with an October 2009 test fire date, pre-fix NXW, with a little over 2000 rounds through it. It has the dipped extractor but has been running good. I have had 3 or 4 stove pipes of spent cases that weren't fully thrown from gun doing rapid fire drills with weak 115 grain ammo. This hasn't happened for the last 500 rounds at least. Otherwise the ejection pattern has been good so far, very good with defense loads. I know the round count is rather low yet. I rotate training with 4 other Glocks I own.

After shooting these guns for almost 6years now, I have found that the G19 is my favorite. I am thinking about carrying this gun now in place of my flawless G26 for more capacity and shoot ability. Or perhaps I should be carrying both. Anyways, I am wondering if there is a clear-cut date when the Gen. 3's went down hill on reliability. I have been hearing 2010 here and elsewhere. Hoping I still have a rock solid gun here with perhaps just a poorer made extractor. It seems to be working well now though. Anyone here seen a 2009 made gun with serious issues?

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Have also been thinking of trading one of my other Glocks for a second G19 but after reading threads here, sounds like it's still a crap shoot on new guns.

justintime
01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
M and n is kinda where it all started. My n guns didn't have problems until rather high round counts. My m rtf2 g17 which I bought when I turned 21 never had a problem until a few weeks ago.

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 10:10 AM
What did it take to fix your N gun? Just extractor or??

Dos Cylindros
01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
What did it take to fix your N gun? Just extractor or??

That's the whole catch.....nobody really knows. Some guns are fixed with a new extractor, others a new ejector, or perhaps some twisted combination of different generations of Glock or aftermarket parts. Glock has a long way to go before I will ever trust them again.

Nephrology
01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
My NLE prefix G17 is at 5k rounds with no issues outside of the idiot who I bought it from "modifying" the original recoil assembly. I replaced it with a stock one and it's been 100% since.

Dos Cylindros
01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
My NLE prefix G17 is at 5k rounds with no issues outside of the idiot who I bought it from "modifying" the original recoil assembly. I replaced it with a stock one and it's been 100% since.

That's good to hear. I want so badly to hear the Glock has fixed the problems as I have always liked their guns and would love to pick up another in the near future.

Chuck Haggard
01-06-2014, 11:42 AM
My G19 that was having issues was in that same L-N series range, and started to crap the bed badly at about 1200 rounds. Dropped a "new" 2006 made extractor in the gun and it has been running fine ever since.

I think you are likely GTG really. If you are worried, and you obviously seem to be, I would suggest investing in one of the Apex extractors and have it on hand for just in case.

justintime
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Have also been thinking of trading one of my other Glocks for a second G19 but after reading threads here, sounds like it's still a crap shoot on new guns.

The stove piping never went away but it's pretty rare. My n gun was fixed with the hred, apex extractor, and the new ejector. It still stovepipes maybe once every 1k which I'm kinda ok with. It's the guns that produce double feeds that get me.

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
I have 3 different extractor types on my 9mm's. My first glock,a g17 LZS prefix,has older cast type. My G26 NDC prefix has the first run of non dipped MIM, and the G19 has the dipped. The G19 is only one I have had any stove pipes out of. My wife had a couple feed stoppages on the G17 when first learning how to shoot. Her hands are TINY! She now shoots an SR9 and a Shield. The only malfunction on the G26 has been a blazer case that came apart on extraction. All 3 of these each have around 2000 rds through them.

With how great our Shield has been running, I have seriously been considering a full size M&P 9 purchase for the wife. Shot my brothers new one and did really well with it. The trigger is very good on both of our Smith's. Read Todd G's test on here and that is also pretty impressive. But I started with Glock and want to stick with them for most of my use.

Chuck Haggard
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
The stove piping never went away but it's pretty rare. My n gun was fixed with the hred, apex extractor, and the new ejector. It still stovepipes maybe once every 1k which I'm kinda ok with. It's the guns that produce double feeds that get me.

That would still be un-sat in my book and enough reason to send the gun back to Glock.

Chefdog
01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
I have seriously been considering a full size M&P 9 purchase for the wife.

Caveat emptor: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8743-M-amp-P9-barrel-saga

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Caveat emptor: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8743-M-amp-P9-barrel-saga

So, what you are trying to say is that I might get a gun that sucks from either company?

Chefdog
01-06-2014, 02:57 PM
So, what you are trying to say is that I might get a gun that sucks from either company?

Yup. Pick your favorite flavor of suck and give it a go. Or so they tell me.

justintime
01-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Yup :p it's a good time in life to work on da/sa skills

JBP55
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
So, what you are trying to say is that I might get a gun that sucks from ANY company?

Fixed it for you.

Glockman9mm
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Fixed it for you.

Yeah, it's just that It used to be a rarity in Glocks, and now it seems like a greater chance of getting a lemon.

JBP55
01-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it's just that It used to be a rarity in Glocks, and now it seems like a greater chance of getting a lemon.

I was able to fix a couple dozen of the early ones with the newer parts and they all worked fine. I have been involved with quite a few and I have been fortunate as none had to go to Glock for repair.
The several dozen Glocks that I have owned have been trouble free and I am in the process of reducing my inventory and changing all my Glocks to Gen 4.

1slow
01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Good time to go HK45, P30 9MM, P2000SK 9MM.

Chris17404
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a pair of G19's and a pair of G17's that are used but not even fired but once. The seller says they are as follows:

G19's

LYV prefix – March 2009 - made in Austria w/ proofs
KVO prefix - March 2007 - made in Austria w/ proofs

G17's

KTL prefix - February 2007
NAF prefix - June 2009

Do you feel these should be good-to-go and basically trouble free? What do you think is a reasonable price for all 4? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Glockman9mm
01-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I'd say your chances are pretty good that at least 3 of the 4 will be good. My L and m series guns are great with my N series gun being the only one I have a question on.

Greg Bell
01-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Self-deleted for pointless smartassery

psalms144.1
01-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a pair of G19's and a pair of G17's that are used but not even fired but once. The seller says they are as follows:

G19's

LYV prefix – March 2009 - made in Austria w/ proofs
KVO prefix - March 2007 - made in Austria w/ proofs

G17's

KTL prefix - February 2007
NAF prefix - June 2009

Do you feel these should be good-to-go and basically trouble free? What do you think is a reasonable price for all 4? Thanks for your time.

ChrisChris - I'd snap up the Austrian proofed G19s if the price is right, I would think the G17s should be safe as well, as it seemed that the worst of the problems really started cropping up in 2010

Regards,

Kevin