PDA

View Full Version : Youtube, and showing clear...

PPGMD
01-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Make a heck of a duty gun

Really wish Ayoob would first show clear...

That's cool. But having vid stars obsess over showing ME clear makes me feel stupid or something.

It's unprofessional

I see it as the lowest common denominator syndrome that infects internet gun discussions. Cognoscenti that default to thinking everyone else is "some accountant" that can't xyz without . . . fill in the blank.

But I'm just being argumentative. Show me once if you must. It's a video. The bullet can't hit me if he does AD. But in some the videographer has to show and mention it 10 times in the same vid.

Ok this is something that annoys me, can't we just assume that the person on the video did their safety checks before they started rolling?

You wouldn't expect it on any other professional video other than Youtube.

It is not like the bullet will strike the camera, become digitized, travel through the ethernet, be rematerialized by your monitor and shoot you. If you know of a case where this has happened please tell me so I can figure out how, because there are a lot of people that I would like to punch in the face via TCP/IP.

Say what you want about Yeager, but I like his parody of the safety checks.

GardoneVT
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Ok this is something that annoys me, can't we just assume that the person on the video did their safety checks before they started rolling?

It is not like the bullet will strike the camera, become digitized, travel through the ethernet, be rematerialized by your monitor and shoot you. If you know of a case where this has happened please tell me so I can figure out how, because there are a lot of people that I would like to punch in the face via TCP/IP.

YouTube is not a resource for gun knowledge.If you approach every video as an entertaining show with the occasional nugget of truth ,you'll have a less stressful time of it.

YouTube, with some exceptions, is a medium for gun collectors to show off their stuff.I don't want to see ten videos about guns people haven't shot yet.Nor do I want to see how someone thinks about a gun they've only shot 100 times.In terms of skill that rounds down to zero for me.

What i want to see are ten videos about how people improved their shooting performance and mindset.

punkey71
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
It is a little odd to me.

If you actually were to attempt to show clear, only to be confronted by a live round in the chamber, would you roll on and post the video documenting it? I would like to think not, but that's just me.

We all step on our manhood once in a while - it's not often we willfully broadcast it to our 7 billion closest friends via the interwebs.

.....Of course someone already mentioned Yeager, so my theory is not without holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LOKNLOD
01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
If you actually were to attempt to show clear, only to be confronted by a live round in the chamber, would you roll on and post the video documenting it? I would like to think not, but that's just me.
Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

This.

And, when doing video reviews, you have a limited time to capture and maintain your audience's attention.
Burning a minute off the bat, doing a safety check? Next clip.
Having a 30-second intro of music and scrolly words? Skipped faster than the ad before the video.

Joseph B.
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't care, unless they take it overboard and start doing it 3-4 times throughout the course of the video, then it gets annoying. I think anyone can pick anyones video apart on the internet, anyone can be a internet armchair know-it-all, and anyone can make the reasonable argument over nothing. 99% of them would not say a thing in person...

jon volk
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Repeat after me....
Never
read
the
comments.

t1tan
01-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I'd prefer people not waste my viewing time showing the weapon is clear time and time again. I don't understand the necessity of showing in a video and the need others have to see it. If I were the type to make youtube weapon videos, I would go out of my way to not clear to spite those that demand it and leave it a mystery.

R0CKETMAN
01-06-2014, 06:08 AM

What is often overlooked by the internet gun gurus is that videos such as the one which started your discussion are viewed by everyone. Some are what we'll call "gun" people, but many are not. In this case Ayoob, unlike that idiot Yeagar, is well known and well published. He puts the muzzle within inches of his face, mag in, slide closed.

Do I care for my own self interest, no, but it's unprofessional from someone who is known as a professional.

Casual Friday
01-06-2014, 08:25 AM
If I ever do a youtube video, I promise you guys it won't feature an on camera safety check.

LittleLebowski
01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Repeat after me....
Never
read
the
comments.

This. So this.

BaiHu
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
My larger concern is that Mas hasn't made enough money to afford better than 240p video :confused:

Yeesh, I nearly had to see an eye doctor after watching this...or was that the muzzle in my eye :p

PPGMD
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
He puts the muzzle within inches of his face, mag in, slide closed.

I do that all the time, I call it a speed reload. Sometimes I do it while running.

JHC
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
The heck with show clear. How do I know he/she isn't muzzling someone off camera??? ;)

BaiHu
01-06-2014, 11:37 AM
The heck with show clear. How do I know he/she isn't muzzling someone off camera??? ;)

With that quality of video, I'm not even sure if it's really Mas Ayoob. We shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions at this point :cool:

JHC
01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
My larger concern is that Mas hasn't made enough money to afford better than 240p video :confused:

Yeesh, I nearly had to see an eye doctor after watching this...or was that the muzzle in my eye :p

LOL yeah it was brutal. Smart phones do way better than that. Surely there was one in the room.

BaiHu
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
LOL yeah it was brutal. Smart phones do way better than that. Surely there was one in the room.

I could see Mas rocking a flip phone. He doesn't come off as a spendthrift, but maybe that's b/c he reminds me of my Italian godfather (no, not Brando) ;)

PPGMD
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM

LOL, when I see a 240P video I expect it to be from the old days of Youtube. Not something uploaded within the last week.

ToddG
01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
(1) In almost all my YouTube videos, my gun is loaded.

(2) If I was going to demo something with an empty gun, and it was just me and the camera, why would I be addressing the camera's fears about being shot accidentally? This suggests to me that the average video camera is both braver and smarter than the average YouTube commentator.

(3) If someone else is holding the camera or will be in the shot, I will show clear as a courtesy to that person and as a demonstration of proper safety and etiquette.

ARonBoard
01-06-2014, 03:36 PM
You could really troll the commenters by:

1. Attempt at showing clear and identifying a loaded chamber

2. Popping off a round in your "room"

3. Re showing what's actually a clear chamber with "now" locked back slide

This would require a make shift filming stage at a shooting range resembling a room.

5pins
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
I suppose some use the “show clear” as a teaching moment to people that are new to guns. I can understand the sentiment but personally I find it somewhat annoying.

Al T.
01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I won't watch folks that can't seem to keep from muzzling themselves. Guy fairly local to me had some decent videos, but kitten if he didn't show a video of an ND and then keep sweeping his hands!

Chuck Whitlock
01-07-2014, 09:28 AM
...... it's unprofessional from someone who is known as a professional.

I would posit that someone who is considered a professional by his peers in the industry, and has been for longer than most of the viewers you speak of have been alive, just might know what he is doing. Consider the possibility that the pro could be the one who is right.