PDA

View Full Version : ShotMaxx Wristwatch Timer

JSGlock34
01-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I picked up a Shotmaxx (http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-shot-timer.htm)wristwatch timer over the holidays and have used it for my past two range sessions. My timer needs are relatively basic and my first timer - a PACT Club that I bought from a friend in 2006 - still works perfectly. However, one specific feature of the Shotmaxx caught my attention long enough to place an order - the accelerometer. The vast majority of my shooting is on an indoor range, and frequently adjacent shooters will render a timer unusable. While the Shotmaxx uses a microphone like conventional timers, it also has a setting that uses an accelerometer to detect recoil - and thus shots fired on adjacent lanes are not recorded.

I am pleased to report that this feature works as advertised. Even with a friend rapid firing his compensated AR next door, the Shotmaxx only recorded my shots.

The Shotmaxx offers additional functionality that I've yet to explore. I am looking forward to trying out the 'Spy' mode at a future KSTG match. The timer also features Bluetooth, and a compatible smartphone app is reportedly in the works. It is also the first timer I've owned that requires the occasional firmware update, and my one gripe so far is that you can't update the firmware from a Mac - you need a PC.

I think this timer bears a serious look, particularly if you frequent indoor ranges as I do. It certainly isn't going to replace my Omega or Sinn for wearing around town, but I'll be wearing it to the range for sure.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/ShotMaxx_zps9e62f8d8.jpg

NETim
01-04-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm liking mine so far. I was hoping that it would be sensitive enough in "Airsoft" mode to be usable when dry firing. Alas, it is not.

But the accelerometer mode is cool.

Dr. No
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
I really like mine for the acceleramator and the form factor. The only two things that annoy me are that the buttons are a little too easy to hit and I find if it's in a bag or something it will change the time, etc. Also some of the menu items (type 1 beep, wtf is that?) should be more clear so I don't have to memorize the book. I couldn't figure out the spy mode today from the watch...

Aside from that I think it's a fantastic timer. I used it to run a bunch of people at a USPSA match today and it worked great. I've been using it in practice for a while.

ToddG
01-04-2014, 11:13 PM
I keep going back and forth on getting one but the inability to update the firmware from a Mac could be a deathblow. We don't own a single PC.

YVK
01-04-2014, 11:50 PM
99% of my shooting is indoors. I just ordered one.

SecondsCount
01-05-2014, 12:10 AM
I keep going back and forth on getting one but the inability to update the firmware from a Mac could be a deathblow. We don't own a single PC.

I don't have a Mac but can't you run a Windows emulator inside the Mac OS that will allow you to run Windows programs?

A friend has a Mac and he dual-boots his between the Mac OS and Win 7. I have done the same on my Linux machines.

ToddG
01-05-2014, 12:33 AM
I don't have a Mac but can't you run a Windows emulator inside the Mac OS that will allow you to run Windows programs?

A friend has a Mac and he dual-boots his between the Mac OS and Win 7. I have done the same on my Linux machines.

Both solutions require me to buy a copy of Windows. Just to update firmware for a shot timer? Not going to happen.

Chuck Whitlock
01-05-2014, 10:40 AM

Can't you just go to a public library once in a while or something? Or have a shooting buddy who has a PC?

ToddG
01-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Can't you just go to a public library once in a while or something?

They still have those?

Or have a shooting buddy who has a PC?

Holy crap now on top of a computer I need friends? This thing sucks...

Chuck Whitlock
01-05-2014, 10:43 AM
I got one for Christmas, too. I've never owned or run a shot timer, and couldn't get the Surefire app on my phone to work the one time I tried. Unfortunately, the closest indoor range is over 1.5 hours away, and current temps preclude an outdoor range being any fun at all.
Looking forward to the learning curve.

JSGlock34
01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
To be fair, my first two visits to the range with the Shotmaxx were without any firmware update. I just charged it up out of the box and took it to the range and there were no problems. I suspect the ability to update the firmware will become more important as the Bluetooth functionality becomes enabled and the smartphone apps are released.

NETim
01-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Yesterday's trip to the range showed that the Shotmaxx on "Type 2" beep (loudest) would overwhelm my electro-muff's noise threshold when starting from surrender. With the 24x7 tinnitus band playing in my ears, I wasn't sure I was hearing the beep. So I dialed it back down to "Type 1" and all was well.

It's a handy lil' gadget.

TheTrevor
01-13-2014, 12:48 AM
I was thinking about the SM timer after the match I shot yesterday. Question for any of the owners: would the SM be well suited to capturing my precise shot and split times each stage? I'd like to be able to look at stuff like my split time when shooting pairs on the same target, transition time between targets while maintaining a fixed position, etc.

Ideally I'd like to have up to six strings of fire recorded for later retrieval on my laptop. Would the SM work for this?

NETim
01-13-2014, 08:14 AM
I was thinking about the SM timer after the match I shot yesterday. Question for any of the owners: would the SM be well suited to capturing my precise shot and split times each stage? I'd like to be able to look at stuff like my split time when shooting pairs on the same target, transition time between targets while maintaining a fixed position, etc.

Ideally I'd like to have up to six strings of fire recorded for later retrieval on my laptop. Would the SM work for this?

Not at this point in time. It can only record one string o' fire. When the Bluetooth apps are written for the various smartphones, then it'll be there. Otherwise, it's still a neat little gadget.

DAA
01-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Hi there,

This is Eli from Double-Alpha Academy.

Thank you all for the positive feedback. A few updates:

1. A Mac firmware updater is available as of today. It can be downloaded along with the installation instructions here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/
2. Apps will be coming soon - keep an eye on our website for updates.
3. True Spy Mode (activated automatically) will be released in the next week or so.

All the best.

JSGlock34
01-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks Eli - that's great news. I'll be updating my ShotMaxx over my Mac tonight.

NETim
01-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Heheh! Good news for us Mac drivers.

OS/X rules!!!

Another thing I've done is purchased a bunch of those little mini-USB covers for the USB charging port on the SM. Might help keep it a little cleaner in my often rough n' tumble range world.

bkent
01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Didn't know this product existed, until this thread. Just put my order in. :)
Kent

NETim
01-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Didn't know this product existed, until this thread. Just put my order in. :)
Kent

This forum has cost me a lot of $$$. It's another NRA/gun lobby conspiracy obviously.

JSGlock34
01-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi there,

1. A Mac firmware updater is available as of today. It can be downloaded along with the installation instructions here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/
3. True Spy Mode (activated automatically) will be released in the next week or so.

All the best.

Mac updating was quick and painless. Thanks for releasing!

PPGMD
01-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Does that mean it will pick up the starting beep from the other timer? If so, awesome feature.

Dr. No
01-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi there,

All the best.

Kick ass, thank you Eli!

DAA
01-16-2014, 03:32 AM
Does that mean it will pick up the starting beep from the other timer? If so, awesome feature.

This is how it works: When Spy mode = ON, once the user has loaded the gun (make ready), he will press the start button. SM will disregard any hand movement for 3 seconds to allow the shooter to relax. After 3 seconds, the SM is ready to detect any SHARP movement by using the Accelerometer. Once the shooter reacts to the beep, the timer starts counting and recording shots (sensitivity settings and Acc/Mic settings remain unchanged to what the user has selected prior to entering the SPY Mode). We compensate 0.150sec for the loss of the reaction time which proved very accurate when we tested. You will be perhaps 0.01 to 0.05sec off the pace but other than that, everything is spot on.

This feature has been tested and works flawlessly. We are now in the final tests prior to releasing an update.

Thanks,
Eli.

Slavex
01-16-2014, 03:44 AM
ok, super cool dude, super cool.

But why not have the beep be the thing that starts it?

DAA
01-16-2014, 06:16 AM
ok, super cool dude, super cool.

But why not have the beep be the thing that starts it?

Since different timers produce different beep levels which proves to be inconsistent. In addition, when using it outdoors, wind comes into play which makes it even harder to detect as well as the timer is prone to pick up other shots near by and activate itself by mistake.
Using the Accelerometer proves to be the most effective way. It works like a charm.

DAA
01-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Good news - the Android APIs for the SHOTMAXX are now available - http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Slavex
01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
I knew you'd have a good answer. Thanks man.

DAA
01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
I knew you'd have a good answer. Thanks man.

You are welcome buddy.

bkent
01-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I received mine in the mail last week and used it over the weekend. It worked great at the indoor range. Being able to time my drills really helps. :)

YVK
01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Eli, does battery indicator only show that it is being charged, or it also shows partial/full charge status?
Got mine earlier this week, it's been connected to different USB ports for some time now, the battery indicator is still only half lit.

DAA
01-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Eli, does battery indicator only show that it is being charged, or it also shows partial/full charge status?
Got mine earlier this week, it's been connected to different USB ports for some time now, the battery indicator is still only half lit.

Hi, the battery icon is a fixed icon by which it can only show half charge. However, if you press the Set button in Watch Mode several times, you will get to the battery status screen where you can see the actual battery level in % out of 100.

Hope it helps.
Eli.

bkent
01-21-2014, 09:09 AM
One issue I had with mine is it wouldn't charge, until I updated the firmware. It came to me 20% charged. I left it overnight hooked up to the computer and it was 20% in the morning. I updated the firmware using my Mac and the unit started charging.
Kent

cclaxton
01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if the Shotmaxx Bluetooth could feed Practiscore and RangeLog?
Cody

YVK
01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Eli, thanks for the answer.

Tried mine today. There's is certainly a room for improvement, but on a big sceme it is a game-changer for my practice and training.

DAA
01-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Send me an email with your comments - we always keen to hear what our customers have to say.
eli@doublealpha.biz

Eli, thanks for the answer.

Tried mine today. There's is certainly a room for improvement, but on a big sceme it is a game-changer for my practice and training.

Byron
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I've been very interested in this product for a while, and news like this just reinforces that interest:

Good news - the Android APIs for the SHOTMAXX are now available - http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

I'm curious about the logistics of the accelerometer (which I think is a brilliant inclusion, by the way).

In the demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDxG5FfN95s), the discriminating functionality of the accelerometer is demonstrated by shooting the pistol in the right hand, while the timer is worn on the (separated) left wrist. It is shown that even at this close range, the timer will not register the shots, proving that it can be used on the noisiest of ranges.

This is impressive, but it brings up a host of questions about using it in accelerometer mode. I see my first one is answered on the FAQ: "...if you wish to shoot one-handed, the SHOTMAXX has to be on the wrist of the hand holding the gun for [the accelerometer] to work correctly."

Given this consideration, not to mention the fact that I'd prefer to keep my 'regular' watch on my left wrist, is there any reason not to always wear the Shotmaxx on my right wrist when shooting?

Is the accelerometer looking for a certain peak reading of g's? Or x levels within y time? Or a certain amount of back-and-forth? What I'm trying to understand is how the timer differentiates between recoil versus... say... smacking your baseplate during a tap-rack-bang drill. How easy is it to register a false-positive for a rapid acceleration of the wrist that wasn't actually due to recoil?

Has the accelerometer functionality been tested with long guns? While I realize that long guns are more likely to be used outdoors, and outdoors might afford better usage of the mic, I'm curious as to whether the accelerometer is only for handguns.

YVK
01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Send me an email with your comments - we always keen to hear what our customers have to say.
eli@doublealpha.biz

I will, once I have spent reasonable time with it. So far my biggest complaint is how easy it is to accidentally press the buttons; makes the unit practically impossible to wear as a watch.

DAA
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Correct the watch, when used in Acc mode, has to be worn on the shooting hand (wrist). Otherwise it will not pick up any shots. No reason of why not wearing it aways on the shooting wrist - it is up to you really.

You will find it pretty hard, if not impossible to register a false reading using the Acc. Besides the unique detection algorithm, when Acc is in use, it ALSO looks for a sound of a shot at the same time of the recoil. It should work pretty well for long guns as well.

Hope it helps,
Eli.

I've been very interested in this product for a while, and news like this just reinforces that interest:

I'm curious about the logistics of the accelerometer (which I think is a brilliant inclusion, by the way).

In the demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDxG5FfN95s), the discriminating functionality of the accelerometer is demonstrated by shooting the pistol in the right hand, while the timer is worn on the (separated) left wrist. It is shown that even at this close range, the timer will not register the shots, proving that it can be used on the noisiest of ranges.

This is impressive, but it brings up a host of questions about using it in accelerometer mode. I see my first one is answered on the FAQ: "...if you wish to shoot one-handed, the SHOTMAXX has to be on the wrist of the hand holding the gun for [the accelerometer] to work correctly."

Given this consideration, not to mention the fact that I'd prefer to keep my 'regular' watch on my left wrist, is there any reason not to always wear the Shotmaxx on my right wrist when shooting?

Is the accelerometer looking for a certain peak reading of g's? Or x levels within y time? Or a certain amount of back-and-forth? What I'm trying to understand is how the timer differentiates between recoil versus... say... smacking your baseplate during a tap-rack-bang drill. How easy is it to register a false-positive for a rapid acceleration of the wrist that wasn't actually due to recoil?

Has the accelerometer functionality been tested with long guns? While I realize that long guns are more likely to be used outdoors, and outdoors might afford better usage of the mic, I'm curious as to whether the accelerometer is only for handguns.

DAA
01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Good news! SHOTMAXX iOS / Android APIs are ready and available for download here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Feel free to develop your apps!

All the best,
Eli.

Byron
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Hope it helps
Indeed! Thanks for the fast response.

DAA
02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Hey all,

Good news - we have released the new firmware which includes the True Spy Mode so all of you who own a SHOTMAXX can download and update.
Files can be found here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Any questions, shoot me an email to eli@doublealpha.biz

Thanks,
Eli.

joshs
02-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I just got a Shotmaxx. After updating the software, I've been dryfiring using the timer, and it picks up both the slide closing and the hammer falling when set to Airsoft Mode. For those who like to push speed in dryfire, it certainly beats using a par time. I also confirmed that the new Spy Mode works when I begin my draw from either hands relaxed at sides or surrender.

ToddG
02-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Now that I'm running Win8.1 on Bootcamp the update issue has gone away for me. Very tempted to bite on this given how much dry fire I'm going to be doing over the next couple of months...

JSGlock34
02-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Todd - you can update it from the Mac now. Works fine.

Hi there,

1. A Mac firmware updater is available as of today. It can be downloaded along with the installation instructions here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/ (http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/)

All the best.

ToddG
02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
So no one has had any issues yet?

Before I dump cash for this thing I am reminded of the six CED7000 and the CED7000 Pro that all failed on me over the years. The last one (Pro) was so bad I bashed it on the ground rather than even trying to get it fixed or replaced.

TheTrevor
02-05-2014, 01:19 AM
So no one has had any issues yet?

Before I dump cash for this thing I am reminded of the six CED7000 and the CED7000 Pro that all failed on me over the years. The last one (Pro) was so bad I bashed it on the ground rather than even trying to get it fixed or replaced.

I've been watching for SM issues carefully across various forums. The main complaint seems to be excessively sensitive buttons resulting in screwed-up settings if you let it bounce around loose in a range bag pocket -- to me, this indicates that the inexpensive case accessory offered for the SM is a good idea.

I haven't seen any reports of DOA or field-failed units, but the installed base of devices are all relatively new and, at a guess, not especially numerous yet. The fact that it's worn on the wrist instead of clipped to the belt seems likely to do good things for longevity.

Now that they have the Mac updater out, I'm going to order one with the assumption (sigh) that an iOS app to dump data from the SM will be along at some point this year. (I don't really want to drag an expensive MBP out to the range and matches to collect data between strings.) I won't know for sure unless I take one apart, but I think it's likely that the SM borrows a lot of off-the-shelf tech from mobile devices, which means the electronics and display are likely to be pretty robust. If there's going to be a failure, it's going to either be environmental (water intrusion killing the electronics) or something going wrong with the microphone or speaker.

ETA: as an experienced early adopter, I also consider it a very good sign that the folks at DAA are actively engaged with their customer base and soliciting feedback & input. It speaks well of DAA that they are showing up anywhere people are talking about the SM and answering questions.

DAA
02-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Hello,

With regards to the sensitive buttons - that is true but with our newly designed silicon skins (available in 4 weeks from our website), these issues are gone.
We are working closely with a fantastic dev team on a new SHOTMAXX Trainer log book application which should be made available soon (pending Apple's approval of course). You will be able to send data from your SM to the app and also remotely activate and control some settings on your SM via the app. Very cool.

We are here to answer any questions you may have. If you wish to contact me directly, please do so by emailing me at eli@doublealpha.biz.

All the best,
Eli.

I've been watching for SM issues carefully across various forums. The main complaint seems to be excessively sensitive buttons resulting in screwed-up settings if you let it bounce around loose in a range bag pocket -- to me, this indicates that the inexpensive case accessory offered for the SM is a good idea.

I haven't seen any reports of DOA or field-failed units, but the installed base of devices are all relatively new and, at a guess, not especially numerous yet. The fact that it's worn on the wrist instead of clipped to the belt seems likely to do good things for longevity.

Now that they have the Mac updater out, I'm going to order one with the assumption (sigh) that an iOS app to dump data from the SM will be along at some point this year. (I don't really want to drag an expensive MBP out to the range and matches to collect data between strings.) I won't know for sure unless I take one apart, but I think it's likely that the SM borrows a lot of off-the-shelf tech from mobile devices, which means the electronics and display are likely to be pretty robust. If there's going to be a failure, it's going to either be environmental (water intrusion killing the electronics) or something going wrong with the microphone or speaker.

ETA: as an experienced early adopter, I also consider it a very good sign that the folks at DAA are actively engaged with their customer base and soliciting feedback & input. It speaks well of DAA that they are showing up anywhere people are talking about the SM and answering questions.

NETim
02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Try as I might, I could not update my SM with my Mac. The updater program would terminate with an error message before I could select the FW file. Mac complained about "compatibility" issues. I am running 10.6.8. Eli had me install a driver on the Mac but that did no good.

To my eternal shame, I have to admit that I was able to complete the update with my company laptop running Winblows 7. :( I feel so dirty now.

Curious what version of OS/X you other Mac drivers are running who have successfully updated with your Mac.

Also, my SM will no longer display the current firmware rev it's running for me. I used to be able to find that info. :confused:

joshs
02-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Try as I might, I could not update my SM with my Mac. The updater program would terminate with an error message before I could select the FW file. Mac complained about "compatibility" issues. I am running 10.6.8. Eli had me install a driver on the Mac but that did no good.

To my eternal shame, I have to admit that I was able to complete the update with my company laptop running Winblows 7. :( I feel so dirty now.

Curious what version of OS/X you other Mac drivers are running who have successfully updated with your Mac.

Also, my SM will no longer display the current firmware rev it's running for me. I used to be able to find that info. :confused:

I had the same problem. I took it as a sign that I should finally do the free update to Mavericks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

NETim
02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
I had the same problem. I took it as a sign that I should finally do the free update to Mavericks.

I thought the same thing but I've been happy with Snow Leopard. And it's been stable. My research into Mavericks has made me hesitant to update.

bkent
02-05-2014, 08:52 AM

I successfully updated with 10.8.5.
Kent

NETim
02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I am truly impressed with Team Double Alpha here. I contacted them this AM and less than 12 hours later, they had developed a update s/w package that is compatible with my iMac and its slightly out of date 10.6.8 Snow Leopard OS/X. I was able to update my SM with no issues with the new Mac update tool they emailed me.

Thank you Eli and everyone else at Double Alpha. You guys rock!

Yes, eventually I'll have to go to Mavericks, but I'm in no hurry just yet.

JSGlock34
02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I successfully updated with 10.8.5.
Kent

I successfully updated with 10.9.1.

ToddG
02-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Just ordered one. Keeping fingers crossed it will be reliable.

jholen
02-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Hello,

With regards to the sensitive buttons - that is true but with our newly designed silicon skins (available in 4 weeks from our website), these issues are gone.
We are working closely with a fantastic dev team on a new SHOTMAXX Trainer log book application which should be made available soon (pending Apple's approval of course). You will be able to send data from your SM to the app and also remotely activate and control some settings on your SM via the app. Very cool.

We are here to answer any questions you may have. If you wish to contact me directly, please do so by emailing me at eli@doublealpha.biz.

All the best,
Eli.
That sounds like a really cool feature! Really looking into one of these.

ToddG
02-05-2014, 11:55 PM
It would be great if you could get a shipment of these carried by someplace like Brownells, especially all the accessories, to save US consumers on the international shipping rates.

jholen
02-05-2014, 11:58 PM
It would be great if you could get a shipment of these carried by someplace like Brownells, especially all the accessories, to save US consumers on the international shipping rates.
+1

You must have been reading my mind Todd, as I just opened a new tab and checked Brownells to see if they had them!

TheTrevor
02-06-2014, 12:14 AM

They do have some US distributors, just not the big guys like Brownells & Midway. Shooter's Connection has them in stock (http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/DAA-SHOTMAXX-P3131.aspx).

ToddG
02-06-2014, 12:23 AM
That would have been nice to know a few hours ago. :cool:

TheTrevor
02-06-2014, 12:29 AM
That would have been nice to know a few hours ago. :cool:

Business day in EU doesn't start for a few more hours. Very likely you could contact DAA and cancel your order, then order one stateside tomorrow.

ToddG
02-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Not worth all the hassle for about $15 in shipping. You'd just think the Euro site would dump you to their US distributor automatically, though.

DAA
02-06-2014, 02:20 AM

Hi guys,

It seems that our Mac updater only supported Mac OS 10.7 or higher. I will post today another version that will support 10.6.8 as well.

Thanks,
Eli.

Dr. No
02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Okay I couldn't figure out the spy mode. I turned it on (it looked to be enabled and said ON) but the 'on' went away and when I moved rapidly etc it did not register any shots. What's the process to set this up right?

joshs
02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Okay I couldn't figure out the spy mode. I turned it on (it looked to be enabled and said ON) but the 'on' went away and when I moved rapidly etc it did not register any shots. What's the process to set this up right?

Is your sensitivity set so that it registers shots in normal mode? When I use spy mode it says "ON" when I hit start, but that goes away as soon as I move rapidly.

bkent
02-06-2014, 09:54 AM
They do have some US distributors, just not the big guys like Brownells & Midway. Shooter's Connection has them in stock (http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/DAA-SHOTMAXX-P3131.aspx).

Shooter's Connection is where I bought mine. Very fast shipping. :)
Kent

DAA
02-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Once the "on" is gone, the timer starts to register shots. Check if you are in Acc or Mic mode since that will affect the input sensor being Accelerometer or Microphone. You can tap on the timer (not on the screen though...) to register shots.

TheTrevor
02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Shooter's Connection is where I bought mine. Very fast shipping. :)
Kent

True. They had mine packed and labeled, and the "shipped" email sent, before I rolled out of bed this morning.

Dr. No
02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Once the "on" is gone, the timer starts to register shots. Check if you are in Acc or Mic mode since that will affect the input sensor being Accelerometer or Microphone. You can tap on the timer (not on the screen though...) to register shots.

Yes the sensitivity registered shots just fine ...

I believe I was in mic mode. So the right procedure:

spy mode on
go to timer screen
press start
when the buzzer goes off, move quickly to start the timer
timer should register shots at that point

That correct?

DAA
02-07-2014, 03:03 AM
Yes the sensitivity registered shots just fine ...

I believe I was in mic mode. So the right procedure:

spy mode on
go to timer screen
press start
when the buzzer goes off, move quickly to start the timer
timer should register shots at that point

That correct?

Here is the spiel for Spy Mode:

How to use Spy Mode:
- In Timer Mode, press the Set button (9 times) until you reach Spy = OFF. Turn it on by press the up or down buttons to set it to ON.
- Press the Mode button to return to Timer Mode (exit settings).
- SHOTMAXX will show SPY - -
- Press the Start button. The display will show SPYon which means that the Spy Mode has been activated.

You now have 3 seconds to assume the start position. After 3 seconds SHOTMAXX is ready to start upon a sharp movement of your hand. Once it has been activated, the display will show SPY only.
Once you make a sharp movement with your hands (reacting to the RO’s start beep) your shotmaxx will start running and record all shots being fired.

Recommended settings:
- Beep level: beep level in Spy mode is irrelevant since the timer will not beep on this mode.
- Sensor: if you are the shooter, set the Sensor to Acc (Accelerometer).
- Sensitivity: If you are the shooter, the recommended sensitivity for a large caliber handguns is between level MIN and 4. If shooting Airsoft, choose Airsoft for sensitivity.

Dr. No
02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Ahh! I think I thought since there weren't any shots registering on the screen that it wasn't working. Great stuff, thank you for explaining!

Chris Rhines
02-09-2014, 07:59 PM
My one complaint on the Shotmaxx timer is that the beep is too quiet for use on an indoor range. Other than that, it's a very good piece of hardware.

ToddG
02-09-2014, 08:02 PM
My one complaint on the Shotmaxx timer is that the beep is too quiet for use on an indoor range.

That's a pretty substantial negative for a timer everyone is buying specifically to use on busy indoor ranges. Grrrr!

Dr. No
02-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Make sure you are setting the beep to "type 2". I find it to be loud enough indoors, though I wouldn't mind it being louder ... I believe the CED7000 is 120db

JSGlock34
02-09-2014, 08:27 PM
That's a pretty substantial negative for a timer everyone is buying specifically to use on busy indoor ranges. Grrrr!

Actually, Chris' endorsement in the watch thread was what originally got me to look seriously at the Shotmaxx. And he did say this in another thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11272-Need-timer-advice&p=199019&viewfull=1#post199019)...

The Shotmaxx is not perfect, but it's the best indoor shot timer I've used so far. If not that, I'd go with the Pocket Pro II.

I haven't had any problems hearing the beep, but as said before I wouldn't mind it being louder. Still, I'm doubtful anything the size of a watch is going to match the volume of more conventional shot timers. Everything is a tradeoff - and I'll happily trade volume for the accelerometer functionality.

I wonder if the Bluetooth functionality might provide a solution? I'm sure a smart phone ringer/speaker can put out more juice...

ToddG
02-09-2014, 08:37 PM
I wonder if the Bluetooth functionality might provide a solution? I'm sure a smart phone ringer/speaker can put out more juice...

"On the vibration in your front pocket, draw and fire..."

Chris Rhines
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
That's a pretty substantial negative for a timer everyone is buying specifically to use on busy indoor ranges. Grrrr! Yeah, I only noticed this yesterday. To be fair, half the NRA Range was banging away with ARs at the time, but still. When it comes to volume, too loud is not loud enough - the end user can always dial it down.

Make sure you are setting the beep to "type 2". I find it to be loud enough indoors, though I wouldn't mind it being louder ... I believe the CED7000 is 120db The "type 2" beep was completely inaudible - I might have some high frequency hearing loss, or maybe it was just the environment.

120dB SPL is roughly the amplitude of a car horn from 1 yard away. This would be loud enough for me. :D

I wonder if the Bluetooth functionality might provide a solution? I'm sure a smart phone ringer/speaker can put out more juice... This is an interesting possibility - for one thing, there are in-ear Bluetooth headsets that look like they would fit under earpro. That would be a pretty clever solution.

NETim
02-10-2014, 07:39 PM
From surrender with electronic ear pro, I can't hear the Type 2 beep for certain. The muffs cut it off. If I dial back to Type 1, then I can hear it. I'm normally alone on an outdoor range though.

If only it would vibrate.

Yes, I have a great deal of hearing loss in my left ear. Bad, bad ear infection as a little punk, followed by years and years of small arms fire, firecrackers and Led Zeppelin. :)

The All Star Tinnitus band plays 24x7 in my ears.

You hear me you young whippersnappers?!?! Wear ear pro, even with .22's.

(And get a haircut and get a real job.)

DAA
02-11-2014, 07:49 AM
This is an interesting possibility - for one thing, there are in-ear Bluetooth headsets that look like they would fit under earpro. That would be a pretty clever solution.

This cannot be achieved with the SM since the SM is in essence the "ear piece" and you can only pair it with a "host" which is a smartphone/tablet/pc etc. It might be possible to hook it up with an iOS/Android application which in turn will run a remote BT headset but I doubt it that more than 1 headset (SHOTMAXX) can be paired at once.

Re the 120db argument - no timer in the market will each that level. The CED7000 for example reaches around 110db. Note that "db" is a logarithmic value which means that every + or - 3db you DOUBLE the volume. So to reach from 110db to 119db for example, you would need to triple the sound level.
Type 1 beep type has a different frequency which might be easier to pick up for certain individuals who find it hard to hear the higher pitch beeps.

TheTrevor
02-13-2014, 03:41 AM
My ShotMaxx and case arrived today after grinding its way across the continent via UPS Ground. Unpacked it tonight, battery was dead as a doornail so I plugged it into the USB port on my Macbook and let it charge for a bit before doing anything else.

Firmware update was pretty straightforward. The OS X firmware update program isn't packaged with any sort of installer, which might cause confusion for the less computer-savvy or those new to Macs. Note to Eli -- don't underestimate the importance of something as simple as a decent installer.

Only encountered one weirdness: I let the SM charge off the USB port for quite a while, and the indicated charge got up to around 50%. After I updated the firmware, unplugged it, and then plugged it back in to charge, it indicated a 1% charge and started charging from there. Seems like if the battery was at 50% before the FW update, it should have been around 50% afterwards...

Initial impression: the user interface isn't the most intuitive, hampered by very limited display capability and the necessarily small number of controls. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but after only a few minutes of playing with it, I'm hoping more than ever that there will be an iOS app that can serve as a usable control panel for the SM over bluetooth.

I'll be trying it out with the airsoft pistol tomorrow, should be fun... assuming it works. :)

DAA
02-13-2014, 04:56 AM
My ShotMaxx and case arrived today after grinding its way across the continent via UPS Ground. Unpacked it tonight, battery was dead as a doornail so I plugged it into the USB port on my Macbook and let it charge for a bit before doing anything else.

Firmware update was pretty straightforward. The OS X firmware update program isn't packaged with any sort of installer, which might cause confusion for the less computer-savvy or those new to Macs. Note to Eli -- don't underestimate the importance of something as simple as a decent installer.

Only encountered one weirdness: I let the SM charge off the USB port for quite a while, and the indicated charge got up to around 50%. After I updated the firmware, unplugged it, and then plugged it back in to charge, it indicated a 1% charge and started charging from there. Seems like if the battery was at 50% before the FW update, it should have been around 50% afterwards...

Initial impression: the user interface isn't the most intuitive, hampered by very limited display capability and the necessarily small number of controls. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but after only a few minutes of playing with it, I'm hoping more than ever that there will be an iOS app that can serve as a usable control panel for the SM over bluetooth.

I'll be trying it out with the airsoft pistol tomorrow, should be fun... assuming it works. :)

Hello,

Re the Mac Updater - I am not sure if I follow. What do you believe is missing from the installer?
Battery level dropping after update - that is normal with this firmware version. The update will drop it to 1% but nothing to be alarmed of. The next FW version will resolve this problem.

Thanks,
Eli.

TheTrevor
02-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Hello,

Re the Mac Updater - I am not sure if I follow. What do you believe is missing from the installer?
Battery level dropping after update - that is normal with this firmware version. The update will drop it to 1% but nothing to be alarmed of. The next FW version will resolve this problem.

Thanks,
Eli.

There is no installer, and that's the weak spot -- the Mac download is a zip file, which when opened dumps the updater program in the same directory as the downloaded zip file.

Many Mac downloadable programs come with an installer which pops up a window showing the package and a shortcut to the Applications folder. You simply drag and drop the program package onto the Applications folder and everything gets moved over automatically, and you can then launch it from the Applications folder in the Dock.

DAA
02-13-2014, 09:41 AM
There is no installer, and that's the weak spot -- the Mac download is a zip file, which when opened dumps the updater program in the same directory as the downloaded zip file.

Many Mac downloadable programs come with an installer which pops up a window showing the package and a shortcut to the Applications folder. You simply drag and drop the program package onto the Applications folder and everything gets moved over automatically, and you can then launch it from the Applications folder in the Dock.

I guess you can drag it to the applications folder and run it from there. Not a big deal I would say :)

TheTrevor
02-13-2014, 06:51 PM
I guess you can drag it to the applications folder and run it from there. Not a big deal I would say :)

Gosh, and you were doing so well with the "responding to feedback" thing up to this point. :)

I can run it from whatever random folder it unzipped to. That's not really the point, because this is my career field and I am NOT the typical end user. I know from painful experience, as someone who has designed any number of things for consumer use, that leaving it as-is will frustrate less sophisticated users.

Leave it like it is if you want, no problem for me. Just sharing my opinion as a user-experience designer that this is an easy fix which will help reduce support burden if this product is successful.

NETim
02-13-2014, 10:07 PM
I see the SM silicone skins are available on double alpha.biz.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/cat2014/html/7.html

TheTrevor
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
I see the SM silicone skins are available on double alpha.biz.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/cat2014/html/7.html

Well of *course* it is, because I just got my ShotMaxx and case yesterday, and it would just have been way too convenient to be able to get the skin at the same time. :)

ToddG
02-13-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm in the same boat. Mine is probably cruising the Atlantic ad I type. Now pay international again a couple days later? Guess I'll skip the skin our wait until they're stocked somewhere over here.

DAA
02-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Well of *course* it is, because I just got my ShotMaxx and case yesterday, and it would just have been way too convenient to be able to get the skin at the same time. :)

No they are not yet available. You were browsing out 2014 catalogue, but what you should be looking at is the website which for the time being does not feature the skins. They should be made available by mid March or so.

DAA
02-14-2014, 04:49 AM
Gosh, and you were doing so well with the "responding to feedback" thing up to this point. :)

I can run it from whatever random folder it unzipped to. That's not really the point, because this is my career field and I am NOT the typical end user. I know from painful experience, as someone who has designed any number of things for consumer use, that leaving it as-is will frustrate less sophisticated users.

Leave it like it is if you want, no problem for me. Just sharing my opinion as a user-experience designer that this is an easy fix which will help reduce support burden if this product is successful.

I will see what we can do.

Thanks for the feedback,
Eli.

ToddG
02-19-2014, 07:50 AM
OK, mine arrived. The Mac update took me a second to figure out when a text file appeared on my screen but easy enough once you get it sorted.

There's a Bluetooth app for Android on the website but I've never installed software except through the Play Store. How do I get the app onto the phone? Neither the website nor the .pdf file that comes with the app explain the process.

DAA
02-20-2014, 06:02 AM
OK, mine arrived. The Mac update took me a second to figure out when a text file appeared on my screen but easy enough once you get it sorted.

There's a Bluetooth app for Android on the website but I've never installed software except through the Play Store. How do I get the app onto the phone? Neither the website nor the .pdf file that comes with the app explain the process.

Hi Todd,

Glad to hear that the Mac FW update was easy enough to figure out :)
Re the Android app we have on the website - it is only intended for development purposes and it is very rough on the edges sort of speak... I would wait for some official apps to be developed - some are in the pipeline already.
We also have a fantastic iOS app coming soon - a shooting trainer log book which allows you to hook up your SHOTMAXX and record your training sessions along with points, comments, photos etc. Stay tuned :)

Thanks,
Eli.

NETim
02-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Todd,

Glad to hear that the Mac FW update was easy enough to figure out :)
Re the Android app we have on the website - it is only intended for development purposes and it is very rough on the edges sort of speak... I would wait for some official apps to be developed - some are in the pipeline already.
We also have a fantastic iOS app coming soon - a shooting trainer log book which allows you to hook up your SHOTMAXX and record your training sessions along with points, comments, photos etc. Stay tuned :)

Thanks,
Eli.

Apple! Apple! Apple!

bkent
02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I notice with my ShotMaxx, even when the battery shows 100% charged, the little battery icon shows half full. Anyone else see this? I've updated to the latest firmware and that didn't fix the issue. It's not a big deal or anything, just curious.
Kent

ToddG
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Mine is same way. As long as the number value is close enough to correct that I know whether I need to charge, I'm good.

bkent
02-20-2014, 01:01 PM
I guess the icon is working as designed.

Reply from ShotMaxx:

"The little battery icon is a solid icon and only has a single state: half full. When it illuminates, it means that you are down to your last 20% of battery level.
To see the actual battery level, press the Set button in watch mode until you get to the battery level screen. It will show in %."

Kent

DAA
02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone,

The VERY first iOS application that works with the SHOTMAXX timer for Steel Challenge Events - practice or matches. Awesome work by On-Core Software LLC in the US! Check it out - it is FREE!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steel-scoring/id733091767?ls=1&mt=8

DAA
02-26-2014, 05:18 AM
Hello everyone,

The VERY first iOS application that works with the SHOTMAXX timer for Steel Challenge Events - practice or matches. Awesome work by On-Core Software LLC in the US! Check it out - it is FREE!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steel-scoring/id733091767?ls=1&mt=8

You would need to download the latest firmware and update your SHOTMAXX from here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

NETim
02-26-2014, 08:27 AM
You would need to download the latest firmware and update your SHOTMAXX from here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Unzipping the 2942 f/w on my Mac yields a "*.txt.zip.cpgz" file. 2912 f/w unzipped to a text file just fine.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

Working through it.

No joy. I tried all the tricks listed on the webpage above (except d/l the 3rd party archive s/w) I'm writing this off as a corrupted .zip file on the SM website. It behaves totally differently than the 2912 zip file in both Firefox and Safari.

DAA
02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Unzipping the 2942 f/w on my Mac yields a "*.txt.zip.cpgz" file. 2912 f/w unzipped to a text file just fine.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

Working through it.

No joy. I tried all the tricks listed on the webpage above (except d/l the 3rd party archive s/w) I'm writing this off as a corrupted .zip file on the SM website. It behaves totally differently than the 2912 zip file in both Firefox and Safari.

Let me check this and I will upload a new version soon.
I found a bug in this version so good thing it is offline now.

Sorry for the wait, should be fixed by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Eli.

DAA
02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Let me check this and I will upload a new version soon.
I found a bug in this version so good thing it is offline now.

Sorry for the wait, should be fixed by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Eli.

Hello everyone,

A new firmware has been uploaded: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/
It works well with the Steel app.

Thanks,
Eli.

NETim
02-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone,

A new firmware has been uploaded: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/
It works well with the Steel app.

Thanks,
Eli.

2978 installed!

Thanks Eli!

ToddG
02-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Yup, updated on my Mac, too.

ToddG
03-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Initial thoughts after 5 minutes of live indoor range use:

Loudest beep is too soft for busy indoor range when there are guys on both sides of you shooting comp'd ARs. Given that it's special suitability for a loud environment is one of the big selling points, I'm baffled by this deficit. I'd happily pay $50 more for a "PRO" model that incorporated a cellphone-like vibration function as a start signal. As in shut up and take my money even though I just bought the regular one a week ago right now.
Left the instruction manual at home and only got it set up the way I needed because one of my shooting buddies has become expert at using his. It would be great if there were some programmable presets you could get to in a quick menu. It is definitely far easier to get to base functions than on the 7000/7000PRO, though, I'll give them that. And since my use will be almost exclusive to the way it's set up now, long term it's not the biggest problem I have in life.
With the aforementioned comp'd AR guys so close, it was awesome to see how well the accelerometer worked for catching shots. That alone makes it completely worthwhile to me because "two guys on either side with comp'd ARs indoors" is basically my training environment 90% of the time.
I'll likely have this thing on my wrist whenever I'm shooting which means it will see quite a volume this year (hopefully). Based on past experiences I'm trepidatious about durability but it's a brand new product in a brand new form factor so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

LorenzoS
03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Initial thoughts after 5 minutes of live indoor range use:

I'd happily pay $50 more for a "PRO" model that incorporated a cellphone-like vibration function as a start signal. As in shut up and take my money even though I just bought the regular one a week ago right now.

I have the same need. The only reason I selected the CED 7000 was the ability to run an audio line into my Sordin earmuffs. A Bluetooth dongle would be even better if someone could get the form factor to work.

TheTrevor
03-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm reasonably tech savvy (understatement of the century) but I'm finding it very challenging to get comfortable with the user interface on the ShotMaxx. It just hasn't clicked with me.

At this point I think I'm going to have to make myself a 3x5 card with procedures for common tasks, including reminders for what the cryptic display means in various states, if I'm going to use it effectively.

I want to like it, I really do. But when I find myself using my phone to pull up the PDF version of the manual online (while standing in a stall at an indoor range) to remind myself how to do something fairly basic, it starts to make me wonder whether I'll ever master this thing.

I'm seriously hoping for a iOS app that will manage the SM remotely, including viewing/changing settings and retrieving/storing shot string data. That would instantly address every issue I'm having with getting value out of the product.

DAA
03-04-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm reasonably tech savvy (understatement of the century) but I'm finding it very challenging to get comfortable with the user interface on the ShotMaxx. It just hasn't clicked with me.

At this point I think I'm going to have to make myself a 3x5 card with procedures for common tasks, including reminders for what the cryptic display means in various states, if I'm going to use it effectively.

I want to like it, I really do. But when I find myself using my phone to pull up the PDF version of the manual online (while standing in a stall at an indoor range) to remind myself how to do something fairly basic, it starts to make me wonder whether I'll ever master this thing.

I'm seriously hoping for a iOS app that will manage the SM remotely, including viewing/changing settings and retrieving/storing shot string data. That would instantly address every issue I'm having with getting value out of the product.

LOL - Alright. Let me see if I can help out.
The SM navigation cannot be easier (sorry if I step on any toes here).
The Mode button (top left) is in charge of the modes: Watch, Timer, Stopwatch/Countdown.
The Set button brings up the settings options based on where you are in the menu for the Watch and Timer modes. Pressing the Set button multiple times will toggle between the settings of the appropriate mode you are in.
Changing values is done with the Up/Down buttons (Start and Rev - right side of the watch).
Clicking Mode when you are in a settings menu item will revert one step back until you get to the main mode.

A simple as that.

Of course there are a few exceptions such as Holding the Set button for 1 sec or longer to reset the Par (when in the Par menu item) or holding and pressing the Light and Rev button when BT is active to send the entire string data to the iOS or Android apps (in development). But all in all the navigation is easy once you get the hang of it. Remember, there is only so much you can do with 4-5 buttons when consistency and user interface is in mind.

Hope it helps,
Eli.

DAA
03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
I have the same need. The only reason I selected the CED 7000 was the ability to run an audio line into my Sordin earmuffs. A Bluetooth dongle would be even better if someone could get the form factor to work.

The SM acts like an Bluetooth ear-piece and as such, cannot be paired to another ear-piece like a BT enabled earmuffs. We considered linking SM to a smartphone and then the smartphone to the earmuffs but unfortunately you cannot pair more than a single device to your smartphone at a time.

Dr. No
03-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Had an odd failure at the range today. The watch was turned off when I pulled it out of my bag, but none of the buttons I pressed would turn it on. I connected it to power and it turned on. Battery was at 77%. I started to practice live fire and had it on a 2 second par, random start, mic detection on shots. On the second shot I could hear it beep again (early) and then when I looked down the display had a bunch of random numbers, kind of like what it does when you plug it into power. I hit mode and it reset back to normal.

Then the speaker started acting weird - instead of beeping normally it sounded like there was static and a real low beep. Again with the random number screen on shots.

I plugged it into power again and left it for a few minutes. It said 100% and when I disconnected it, everything worked fine.

Any ideas???

NETim
03-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Had an odd failure at the range today. The watch was turned off when I pulled it out of my bag, but none of the buttons I pressed would turn it on. I connected it to power and it turned on. Battery was at 77%. I started to practice live fire and had it on a 2 second par, random start, mic detection on shots. On the second shot I could hear it beep again (early) and then when I looked down the display had a bunch of random numbers, kind of like what it does when you plug it into power. I hit mode and it reset back to normal.

Then the speaker started acting weird - instead of beeping normally it sounded like there was static and a real low beep. Again with the random number screen on shots.

I plugged it into power again and left it for a few minutes. It said 100% and when I disconnected it, everything worked fine.

Any ideas???

Mine acted goofy as you described... weird "beep" etc. I charged it up and it was fine. If I remember right, the batt charge indicated <10 %. It's been fine since. It was a relatively cold day and I was running it hard. I keep my USB charger cord close by now.

Dr. No
03-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Mine acted goofy as you described... weird "beep" etc. I charged it up and it was fine. If I remember right, the batt charge indicated <10 %. It's been fine since. It was a relatively cold day and I was running it hard. I keep my USB charger cord close by now.

Yeah it was 70 degrees and it showed 77% when I first started it. Weird.

DAA
03-21-2014, 04:41 AM
Yeah it was 70 degrees and it showed 77% when I first started it. Weird.

Hi guys,

As with all electronic device that works with batteries, battery life might differ in hot or cold conditions.
What I also suggest is that for every 2-3 short charges, you do one full charge for 2-3 hours straight.

We will also look into a possible firmware tweak that might improve a couple of things.

Make sure you guys are running the latest firmware.

Thanks,
Eli.

Dr. No
03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Hi guys,

As with all electronic device that works with batteries, battery life might differ in hot or cold conditions.
What I also suggest is that for every 2-3 short charges, you do one full charge for 2-3 hours straight.

We will also look into a possible firmware tweak that might improve a couple of things.

Make sure you guys are running the latest firmware.

Thanks,
Eli.

This was using the latest firmware.

Dr. No
03-23-2014, 10:06 PM
So it happened again today. Battery at 88%. I would press the start button and the buzzer would sound normal, but as soon as I moved my hands to the gun it would beep again and then the screen would display this message.

After messing with it a bit, it would then do the 'weak beep' as I show in the video here (http://charon.ofhell.org/~drno/guns/weakbeep.mp4)

I plugged it into power for a few seconds and that fixed it.

Weird .......

DAA
03-24-2014, 01:56 AM
So it happened again today. Battery at 88%. I would press the start button and the buzzer would sound normal, but as soon as I moved my hands to the gun it would beep again and then the screen would display this message.

After messing with it a bit, it would then do the 'weak beep' as I show in the video here (http://charon.ofhell.org/~drno/guns/weakbeep.mp4)

I plugged it into power for a few seconds and that fixed it.

Weird .......

Please contact me directly at eli@doublealpha.biz
Thanks, Eli.

DAA
03-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Also, please update to the latest firmware which is available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Dr. No
03-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Update, in case anyone is having similar issues.

Eli emailed me offline and was very helpful.

The screen you see in the photo is the version screen - version 7, firmware 2978. Apparently that firmware version was pulled because it was acting wonking for other folks too. If ya'll have it, I would suggest upgrading. I thought I had upgraded earlier but I was mistaken.

I put the newest firmware on the device this morning. I ran it at the range for an entire practice session with no issues. This is still my favorite timer!

NETim
03-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Update, in case anyone is having similar issues.

Eli emailed me offline and was very helpful.

The screen you see in the photo is the version screen - version 7, firmware 2978. Apparently that firmware version was pulled because it was acting wonking for other folks too. If ya'll have it, I would suggest upgrading. I thought I had upgraded earlier but I was mistaken.

I put the newest firmware on the device this morning. I ran it at the range for an entire practice session with no issues. This is still my favorite timer!

Been my experience too.

Now I'm waiting for the silicone skins to appear!

PPGMD
03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Question for DAA. Any chance that we will see an update of the DAA Steel Challenge App to support downloading for the Shotmaxx timer?

DAA
03-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Question for DAA. Any chance that we will see an update of the DAA Steel Challenge App to support downloading for the Shotmaxx timer?

There is a brand new app for that, free of charge: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steel-scoring/id733091767?mt=8

BillB
03-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Luddite! :D

I really like mine for the acceleramator and the form factor. The only two things that annoy me are that the buttons are a little too easy to hit and I find if it's in a bag or something it will change the time, etc. Also some of the menu items (type 1 beep, wtf is that?) should be more clear so I don't have to memorize the book. I couldn't figure out the spy mode today from the watch...

Aside from that I think it's a fantastic timer. I used it to run a bunch of people at a USPSA match today and it worked great. I've been using it in practice for a while.

JSGlock34
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
New app out for iOS - ShotMaxx Trainer 1.0 (http://on-core.com/shotmaxxtrainer/index.php)! Can't wait to try this one out - but it will have to wait until the next range trip on Saturday...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shotmaxx-trainer/id824446059?mt=8

TheTrevor
03-30-2014, 06:23 PM
New app out for iOS - ShotMaxx Trainer 1.0 (http://on-core.com/shotmaxxtrainer/index.php)! Can't wait to try this one out - but it will have to wait until the next range trip on Saturday...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shotmaxx-trainer/id824446059?mt=8

Excellent news! I do believe I'll be shelling out the $4.99 and trying this out with airsoft this afternoon.

TheTrevor
03-30-2014, 07:48 PM
I've been running into a little problem doing reactive shooting drills to get ready for Rogers. It seems that the SM doesn't pick up shots sooner than ~0.55s after the beep begins to sound, possibly because the beep duration seems to be 500ms. If I break my first shot in less than 0.50-0.55s, it doesn't get picked up.

Feature request for Eli and team: please add a type-3 beep of 225ms duration and ensure that any shots from 250ms onwards are picked up. Even the quickest shooter is going to be hard pressed to receive the beep through auditory processing and react in 250ms, and in fact Rogers defines 0.25s as the standard interval of human reaction time.

For now, I'll just assume that anything that doesn't get picked up is under the 0.50s par. It sure would be nice to be able to track my progress with actual timing data, though.

JSGlock34
03-30-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm fiddling around with the App - there's potential here. The App's drills page needs a free text field to add a description of the drill. I wonder if there is a way to import drills? It'd be terrific if there was a standard way to import/download common drills into the App. I'm envisioning the Drills page (http://pistol-training.com/drills) from Todd's website or the pistol-forum Drill of the Week/Month (http://pistol-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Drills-of-the-Month) - just with a 'add to Shotmaxx Trainer' link for each drill...

Looks like you can change your Shotmaxx settings by using the App - I'll play around with this later.

JSGlock34
03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
I've been running into a little problem doing reactive shooting drills to get ready for Rogers. It seems that the SM doesn't pick up shots sooner than ~0.55s after the beep begins to sound, possibly because the beep duration seems to be 500ms. If I break my first shot in less than 0.50-0.55s, it doesn't get picked up.

Feature request for Eli and team: please add a type-3 beep of 225ms duration and ensure that any shots from 250ms onwards are picked up. Even the quickest shooter is going to be hard pressed to receive the beep through auditory processing and react in 250ms, and in fact Rogers defines 0.25s as the standard interval of human reaction time.

For now, I'll just assume that anything that doesn't get picked up is under the 0.50s par. It sure would be nice to be able to track my progress with actual timing data, though.

This came up over at the BrianEnos forums - all the start beeps are .6 seconds.

TheTrevor
03-30-2014, 08:03 PM
This came up over at the BrianEnos forums - all the start beeps are .6 seconds.

Thanks, that makes sense. I've picked up a few shots at 0.57-0.58 seconds, must have been right on the trailing edge of the beep.

ETA: I searched the Enos forums. The beep duration is in fact 500ms, which is why the shortest par time you can set is 0.60s.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186727

ETA2: In another place, DAA posted that the start beep is 0.6s. Confusing.

DAA
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. I've picked up a few shots at 0.57-0.58 seconds, must have been right on the trailing edge of the beep.

ETA: I searched the Enos forums. The beep duration is in fact 500ms, which is why the shortest par time you can set is 0.60s.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186727

ETA2: In another place, DAA posted that the start beep is 0.6s. Confusing.

Allow me to clear this up:
When the sensitivity is set to Max or Airsoft, SM will not pickup any shots during the start beep or par time (since the sensitivity is so high, it will pickup its own beep).
In any other setting, SM will pickup shots during any beep type.

Hope this helps,
Eli.

DAA
04-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Shotmaxx Trainer is out for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oncore.ShotMaxxTrainerAndroid

Many thanks to Adam and his team from on-core!!

Chris Rhines
04-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I've been playing with the Trainer software on my various Android devices, and I really like it so far. This may be the thing that really gets me into organized performance tracking.

One suggestion for a future improvement - it would be useful to be able to set up drills with multiple strings.

DAA
04-03-2014, 04:11 AM
I've been playing with the Trainer software on my various Android devices, and I really like it so far. This may be the thing that really gets me into organized performance tracking.

One suggestion for a future improvement - it would be useful to be able to set up drills with multiple strings.

Hi Chris,

That is not a problem to do:
Set up a training session with one or more drills you want to shoot.
Start scoring and keep scoring the same drill. Each score is recorded separately and you are then able to sort your results by various parameters.
If I were you, I would create these training sessions with a single drill in each of them so you can track your progress over time without mixing up several drills in the same "session".

Hope it makes sense?

Thanks,
Eli.

JSGlock34
04-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Tried out the ShotMaxx Trainer App (1.0 - 1.1 wasn't available until this afternoon) this morning. Some impressions...

The Good...

I was able to create a number of standard drills (1R1, FAST, LAPD Headshot standards) in the App. I created a session for each drill, so I can track them over time.

Pairing my Shotmaxx with the App was quick and painless.

No problems sending the strings from the Shotmaxx to the App. Holding down REV + LIGHT sent each string back to the App. While I'd prefer to the see the splits (and I understand the 1.1 update addresses that) this worked well enough.

I think the potential for performance tracking is fantastic. My three FAST runs are now recorded and stored. I'll be able to continue to add to my 'FAST Session' during every range trip, and see how my scores improve (or don't).

Areas for Improvement...

The App will not change the settings on my Shotmaxx, despite having added PAR times for each drill. Pressing 'Set' on the App triggers a message of 'Sending', but my Shotmaxx displays no change in settings. I am using the latest Firmware (3031).

I think the ability to change the Shotmaxx settings from the App should be a great asset, but this connectivity is buried in the Repetitions/Scoring menu. You should be able to change the Shotmaxx settings from the front page of the App. There is utility to being able to change the settings from the iPhone beyond using the performance tracking software (changing the settings from the iPhone menu should be far easier than navigating the menus on the watch).

While using the Shotmaxx and App to track my three FAST drill results, each time I recorded a seventh 'shot' (FAST is only six shots). I think the Shotmaxx was recording either the insertion of the magazine or the slide going forward during the reload as a 'shot', despite using the accelerometer setting (Sensitivity 4/Filter 009). I never had this problem until today. It happened on all three FAST iterations, but I didn't record these 'phantom' shots before using the App.

The App is...cludgy. Having to send each string to the App and then score each repetition of the drill on the App is burdensome. Then, you need to begin another 'Repetition' to record the next string. I'd prefer the Shotmaxx send the results to the App each time I press the Review button - and the App should then automatically start a new repetition of the drill to record. This should continue until I select another drill, without having to pull the iPhone out of my pocket. Particularly on simple scoring drills like the FAST, I don't need to score 'clean' runs. I just want to start my next iteration of the drill. I can add comments to each repetition after I've completed several reps of the drill.

The scoring is clearly geared towards IPSC/USPSA. Sure, I'm putting in '30' for the 'Max Score' because I have to and the FAST is six shots...but I'd prefer some additional scoring schemes (e.g. -1). Not every drill l use aligns to IPSC scoring conventions.

To be clear, this is meant as constructive feedback - overall, I'm impressed. This is far more functionality than any other timer on the market. I just want to continue to see it get better. I appreciate that the folks from DAA and On-Core follow this thread and have been responsive to member comments. Thanks for listening!

DAA
04-14-2014, 06:05 AM
Hello everyone,

Please update to the latest firmware (3043) available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/
Also go through the full user manual which is also available online.

Latest improvements:
- Battery consumption refinements.
- Bluetooth bug dixes.
- Spy Mode - custom delay.
- Spy mode - other improvements.

Thanks,
Eli.

DAA
04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Good news folks - Shotmaxx skins and screen protectors are available now:
http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx/shotmaxx-silicone-skin

YVK
04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Today was my second session with it since I bought it a couple of months ago. The accelerometer failed miserably. It started OK, but after a while stopped detecting anything other than a first shot, and even that with 0.5 sec delay. Bummed.

DAA
05-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Today was my second session with it since I bought it a couple of months ago. The accelerometer failed miserably. It started OK, but after a while stopped detecting anything other than a first shot, and even that with 0.5 sec delay. Bummed.

Perhaps it would be wise to email us first to see if we can help. Posting problems on forums might get you somewhere, but if you need some technical help and, better you email us than posting. It is hard to monitor all the various forums and pickup these messages.
Email me at eli@doublealpha.biz and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks,
Eli.

DAA
05-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi All,

A new firmware has been released today. Please download and update - critical bug fixes.
http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Thanks,
Eli.

YVK
05-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes, I will email you if it keeps doing it after a firmware update.

My post wasn't a CS request though, but a data point to my community that's been collecting info about your timer for 14 pages now. Just like people report malfunctioning guns etc. I am pretty sure we'll be able to resolve this.

DAA
05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Yes, I will email you if it keeps doing it after a firmware update.

My post wasn't a CS request though, but a data point to my community that's been collecting info about your timer for 14 pages now. Just like people report malfunctioning guns etc. I am pretty sure we'll be able to resolve this.

If you send me more data (email) then I will be able to assist.
Thanks, Eli.

Rick Finsta
08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Just got mine. Is there a possibility that the timer can receive setup from a phone moving forward? Here's what I am thinking:

1) Set up practice session in phone (like the current Android app allows)
2) Turn on BT and pair/connect to timer.
3) Hit "start session" on phone, and it sends the first drill parameters to the timer (par time, delay, number of shots, etc.)
4) Hit "start" on the timer and run first drill.
5) After drill, hit "rev" button to automatically send results to phone, which then moves to the next drill.
6) Repeat for subsequent drills until the phone tells the timer the session is over.

This would put the Shotmaxx over the top as far as functionality over anything else on the market. I am not sure how much room you have left for the firmware, or if the hardware is even able to receive rather than just transmit with its pairing structure, but being able to run an entire session without playing with buttons on the phone/timer would be AMAZING.

Also, I'd love to see a "minimum delay" setting for the random delay. Sometime two seconds isn't enough.

Hydro
08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a ShotMaxx watch from Fast Toys in Canada. I've tried several times to update the firmware on the watch to the latest version. I've installed the programs as per the update guide, uninstalled, re-installed (3 times), changed cables, and am still not able to update the firmware. I've also installed the firmware update software on my Mac laptop, and am not able to update with that computer either.

I'm running Windows 7, 64bit.

Have anyone experienced this issue before and what are some trouble shooting options? I'm going to try to update the firmware on a different PC in the morning at my office.

Thank you for the help.

NETim
08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a ShotMaxx watch from Fast Toys in Canada. I've tried several times to update the firmware on the watch to the latest version. I've installed the programs as per the update guide, uninstalled, re-installed (3 times), changed cables, and am still not able to update the firmware. I've also installed the firmware update software on my Mac laptop, and am not able to update with that computer either.

Have anyone experienced this issue before and what are some trouble shooting options? I'm going to try to update the firmware on a different PC in the morning at my office.

Thank you for the help.

I had issues early on as my Mac s/w was a tad too old to be compatible. DAA has updated their f/w updater and I've updated my Mac so between the two that's no longer an issue.

What's it doing? You can't get the installer program to run? Can't select the firmware from a list?

Sheep Have Wool
08-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi All,

Thank you for the help.

Where's it breaking? Is the Shotmaxx not being detected? Firmware fail to flash? Did you download the drivers here: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx ?

Also, looks like a new firmware update is available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/ but I can't find a changelog for it.

Hydro
08-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I've got it fixed now, but I'll post a summary below, in case someone else has the same issue:

1. Installed the CP210X Windows VCP Driver
2. Installed the Firmware Updater
3. Started the BurnShotMaxx Software
4. Connected the cable the watch came with to the computer, and then to the watch.
5. Watch was "not found".
6. Tried connecting to all of the USB ports on the laptop (4 of them) without success.
7. Uninstalled the CP210X driver and the BurnShotMaxx firmware updater.
8. Re-installed the CP210X driver and the BurShotMaxx firmware Updater.
9. Verified the CP210X driver was installed through the control panel.
9. Reconnected the watch with the supplied cable to all of the USB ports and was still not able to connect.
10. Dug out some other micro-USB cables (6 of them) and tried all of them on all 4 ports each, with no success.
11. Installed the firmware update software on my Mac, and tried the same previous steps without success. **Caveat - The OS on the Mac is old, and likely the reason it didn't work**
12. Emailed Eli and Saul for technical assistance. They got back to me right away, even with a 8 hour time difference. I notified them that I would try a different computer at my office today.
13. Docked my laptop at work, dug out a Blackberry data/charging cable and connected the cable to the dock, rather than the laptop.
14. Started the BurnShotMaxx software.
15. Connected the watch to the Blackberry phone cable.
16. Voila, it was "Found", and I was able to update the firmware.

I suspect that all of the cables I tried at home, including the one that came with the watch were the "Charging Only" type, rather than a "data transfer" cable. I'm also not sure if connecting to the USB port on the laptop dock, rather than the USB port on the laptop (while docked) had anything to do with it either.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

-Jeff

DAA
08-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Just got mine. Is there a possibility that the timer can receive setup from a phone moving forward? Here's what I am thinking:

1) Set up practice session in phone (like the current Android app allows)
2) Turn on BT and pair/connect to timer.
3) Hit "start session" on phone, and it sends the first drill parameters to the timer (par time, delay, number of shots, etc.)
4) Hit "start" on the timer and run first drill.
5) After drill, hit "rev" button to automatically send results to phone, which then moves to the next drill.
6) Repeat for subsequent drills until the phone tells the timer the session is over.

This would put the Shotmaxx over the top as far as functionality over anything else on the market. I am not sure how much room you have left for the firmware, or if the hardware is even able to receive rather than just transmit with its pairing structure, but being able to run an entire session without playing with buttons on the phone/timer would be AMAZING.

Also, I'd love to see a "minimum delay" setting for the random delay. Sometime two seconds isn't enough.

The SM can receive parameters from a smartphone - we are working to add this functionality to the apps.
Parameters that can be sent to the SM are:
- Up to 10 par times
- Start signal
- Delay settings
- Mic / Acc
- Beep type

DAA
08-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Hi All,

Thank you for the help.

I can see that the problem is solved.
Thanks, Eli.

DAA
08-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Where's it breaking? Is the Shotmaxx not being detected? Firmware fail to flash? Did you download the drivers here: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx ?

Also, looks like a new firmware update is available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/ but I can't find a changelog for it.

The change log is in the full user manual.

John Hearne
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
I just picked up a Shotmaxx and the Android app. Am I correct in understanding that you simply can't push the data on the timer to the app? That you must have a drill predefined before sending the data?

I'm asking because very little of what I do is IDPA or IPSC. I've been taking notes manually that look like this:
Fast - (5.41) 5.41 Clean 1.87,.57,2.23,.28,.26,.20
or
Casino 17.6 Clean

I'd love to be able to push the times and splits and then add my own notes. Is this possible in the device's current form? (I have access to an IPhone if that app is better)

DAA
11-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Hi,

What application are you working with?
Email me directly at eli@doublealpha.biz

Thanks,
Eli.

I just picked up a Shotmaxx and the Android app. Am I correct in understanding that you simply can't push the data on the timer to the app? That you must have a drill predefined before sending the data?

I'm asking because very little of what I do is IDPA or IPSC. I've been taking notes manually that look like this:
Fast - (5.41) 5.41 Clean 1.87,.57,2.23,.28,.26,.20
or
Casino 17.6 Clean

I'd love to be able to push the times and splits and then add my own notes. Is this possible in the device's current form? (I have access to an IPhone if that app is better)

PPGMD
11-24-2014, 09:30 AM
John,

I picked one up as well, Shotmaxx Trainer is a pain to work with.

PPGMD
11-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Well after using this timer for a couple of dry fire sessions and a couple of range sessions.

I love the timer.

But the Shotmaxx Trainer app sucks. It has too many features, I just want an app that will suck up my times, and allow me to comment on them. From there just export them into CSV to upload dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, email, or some other way of getting them off the phone.

Also being able to send configurations to the timer would be awesome. That way so I can more easily change par times, or even cooler automatically, change par times like if I am practicing for Bianchi.

EricM
12-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Can anyone compare the iOS vs Android apps for the ShotMaxx? Any significant differences or are they pretty much identical, which is what it looks like from a quick browse through the docs? As I own neither an iOS nor Android smartphone I've been thinking about picking up a cheap one to have in the range bag primarily for this purpose, using it to organize drills and track performance over time. May have to borrow my daughter's tablet to play around with the app.

David S.
06-10-2015, 09:05 AM
What's the update on these? Are you guys still liking the Shotmaxx?

Peally
06-10-2015, 09:28 AM
I've been enjoying mine since last year but the speaker actually went out on it very recently (everything else works fine, just no beep noise). I was told to send an RMA in to CED, so I'll keep you guys posted if it's run of the mill or a CS nightmare.

I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else before so I'm chalking it up to a random electronics failure act of God.

Peally
08-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Just thought I'd leave an update here. After getting my replacement Shotmaxx in (see above, speaker died) after about a month of use the exact same thing has happened to this one. The first one sat in my car a couple times during the winter, but I've carefully babied my replacement one and it still died. Talking to the person doing my RMA over the phone it sounds like this is a really common problem.

Pretty much of the opinion that the Shotmaxx timers are complete junk at this point, going to be honest. Guess I'll keep buying and replacing Pocket Pros until someone competent releases a timer some day.

BehindBlueI's
08-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Just thought I'd leave an update here. After getting my replacement Shotmaxx in (see above, speaker died) after about a month of use the exact same thing has happened to this one. The first one sat in my car a couple times during the winter, but I've carefully babied my replacement one and it still died. Talking to the person doing my RMA over the phone it sounds like this is a really common problem.

Pretty much of the opinion that the Shotmaxx timers are complete junk at this point, going to be honest. Guess I'll keep buying and replacing Pocket Pros until someone competent releases a timer some day.

I thought mine died and it turned out the charge was below 5% so the speaker wasn't getting enough power to beep correctly. The only issue I've had with mine is the face seems to scratch easy. I brushed up against a concrete block wall and it left some nasty marks on it. Some water and toothpaste got most of it, but there's still a few pits in the glass.

Peally
08-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Nah I made sure to check that both times. Not going to bother with RMA on this one unfortunately. I'd rather save the trip to the UPS shipping place ;)

Peally
08-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Well this is interesting, I went to bend the wristband (as if affixing to an anorexic midget) and it's working now.

xcentrk
09-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I just found out about this watch yesterday and have been researching it a bunch today. It looks to be just what I need as I shoot 80% at an indoor range (and when outside, the benches are very close too). Is anyone else still using this a lot? How is it holding up. I see there have not been many updates so am worried it is either not really supported, or a new model is in the works that I should wait for.

Thanks for any info!
Brandon

BehindBlueI's
09-20-2015, 06:15 PM
I just found out about this watch yesterday and have been researching it a bunch today. It looks to be just what I need as I shoot 80% at an indoor range (and when outside, the benches are very close too). Is anyone else still using this a lot? How is it holding up. I see there have not been many updates so am worried it is either not really supported, or a new model is in the works that I should wait for.

Thanks for any info!
Brandon

I use mine quite a bit. Par timer or Microphone for dry fire work, mic or accel for live fire. Other than the face scratching fairly easily and being retarded and forgetting to charge it, it's been great.

xcentrk
09-22-2015, 08:42 PM
I use mine quite a bit. Par timer or Microphone for dry fire work, mic or accel for live fire. Other than the face scratching fairly easily and being retarded and forgetting to charge it, it's been great.

Great. Thank you for the info. I will most likely order one as it seems to be best for indoor ranges.

YVK
09-23-2015, 08:47 AM
I am on my second one. The first one died after some water got into it. I know have a protective film and a body cover on it. I use it 100% in accel mode on the indoors range, works OK but not perfect. All my previous attempts to use a spy mode during the matched got me +2 or more.

Peally
09-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I'm on my second one as well (speaker randomly died). So far after my goofy fix above no issues to report but I will pop back in if I ever have trouble. I haven't been using it as much since the shooting year is dying down and winter is coming to ruin the outdoors.

ETA: YVK I also have never been able to get the spy mode to work but I hate wearing watches when I shoot so it hasn't been a huge deal.

xcentrk
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I will most likely purchase it and take my chances as I think it will be better for me indoors then a traditional timer, even if it is not perfect.

scw2
12-04-2015, 01:43 PM
How long was the turnaround for people that submitted a warranty request? It's 1 day short of 3 weeks since I mailed the watch in, and they're still waiting to send the replacement back since they're out of stock apparently.

I tested the brand-new watch once in dry fire (thanks again Tom & PF, excited to actually use it in live fire once I get it back), and noticed the back light was not functioning and asked the company and they asked that I send it to their partners here in the US instead of back to Midway. :mad:

Peally
12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
My turnaround was not bad enough for me to remember it but I do know I was out a timer for quite some time, so maybe it was a couple weeks. I sent mine straight through CED-USA.

scw2
12-04-2015, 02:07 PM
My turnaround was not bad enough for me to remember it but I do know I was out a timer for quite some time, so maybe it was a couple weeks. I sent mine straight through CED-USA.

Haha, I guess this bothers me more since it was brand new and I just want to play with a new toy. Guess I'll try to be patient... :)

Luke
04-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Getting ready to buy a timer. Looking at this one. Should I just stick to the pocket pro 2? Or has the issues been worked out on this?

It intrigued me that it had an app it pairs with.. Seems handy.

scw2
04-30-2016, 04:53 PM
I had minor issues with mine but flashing the software update again resolved it. It's been a while since that happened without repeating, so I'd be happy to live that minor annoyance for being able to use it on an indoor range.

I do think other timers maybe cheaper so if you're shooting alone or outdoors maybe could be okay with a regular timer.

Luke
04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
I just thought the app would be cool to have. And doesn't it have a "shadow" feature were you can start the timer off the beep of another timer so you can time your own stages at matches?

scw2
04-30-2016, 05:55 PM
I just thought the app would be cool to have. And doesn't it have a "shadow" feature were you can start the timer off the beep of another timer so you can time your own stages at matches?

Oh shut the front door. I haven't tried the app yet so honestly can't tell you. If I knew that existed I would have set it up for my own matches!

Luke
04-30-2016, 06:01 PM
I'll go research it now, but AFAIK, the app isn't what enabled that.. But the app does have some awesome features (I think?)

johnm
04-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Spy mode is something you start and then have 3 seconds to move your hands to the start position. Any movement after that starts the clock.

You can configure it to register shots based on sound or accelerometer.

It's configured on the watch itself.

PearTree
06-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Any long term updates on this? Have the bugs been worked out? I've been going back and forth on whether I should buy this or just go with a pocket pro.

Peally
06-14-2016, 02:08 PM
My second one is still functioning but I haven't used it as heavily as the first one. PP is probably more handy though as you can easily use it to time others as well. Get both? :cool:

PearTree
06-14-2016, 06:43 PM
My second one is still functioning but I haven't used it as heavily as the first one. PP is probably more handy though as you can easily use it to time others as well. Get both? :cool:
As appealing as buying two shot timers sounds, I'd prefer to stick with one [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DMF13
06-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Any long term updates on this? Have the bugs been worked out? I've been going back and forth on whether I should buy this or just go with a pocket pro.+1

I'm close to pulling the trigger on buying one, just a little leery of whether it will hold up for the long haul.

JAD
06-19-2016, 10:01 PM
I made it through four or five sessions before the beep got muted and warbly. I haven't tried to fix it yet.

BehindBlueI's
06-19-2016, 10:02 PM
I made it through four or five sessions before the beep got muted and warbly. I haven't tried to fix it yet.

When mine did that it meant the charge was below 5%.

JAD
06-19-2016, 10:03 PM
That was my expectation but it should have been at full charge. Can't recall if I actually checked its status but I pulled it off the charger to go to the range.

BehindBlueI's
06-19-2016, 10:08 PM
That was my expectation but it should have been at full charge. Can't recall if I actually checked its status but I pulled it off the charger to go to the range.

I'd check. Mine is pretty tight on the USB port and sometimes I've thought I'd fully seated it and hadn't.

scw2
06-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Sometimes mine looks like it should have power and does that. I just flash it with the more recent update and it's good to go. A bit annoying but pretty quick and easy. I wonder if it's just showing the wrong power and is really low instead.

Peally
06-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Yeah I need to update mine, the speaker shits the bed around the 50% battery mark.

My first one's speaker shit the bed completely, even fully charged it was warbled and corrupted. Kinda like a Furby from hell (just kidding, they're all from hell).

John Hearne
06-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Mine works OK and it is very convenient to have the timer strapped to your wrist. With that said, I find the functions I use regularly a bit "buried." While I'm sure it may be familiarity, I find changing par times annoying. FWIW, I've been sniping CED-6000's off of E-Bay and am much happier with them even though they are the size of a small brick. Outside of a public range and the need for the accelerometer, I prefer the old school option.

Paul D
06-20-2016, 10:47 AM
The adjust button doesn't work on mine any more. Thus I can't set par times. Not quite sure what kind of warranty it has. Probably none since it is more than 1 year old.

Range1
06-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Has anybody had any luck with the bluetooth function on the Shotmaxx? Tried to use it with the Shotmaxx training ap but the timer will only stay connected to my ipad for a few seconds at a time and is a pain to reconnect requiring several re-sets of the timer. When it works it is great, but only for a few seconds to a minute or two at the max.

Peally
06-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I didn't really have issues with it between my phone, but it burned battery on all my devices more and I really don't care about keeping all data like that, so I stopped using it for the most part.

Foxy Brown
04-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Resurrecting this old thread because it helped me with my ShotMaxx (first version).

The beep on my unit had stopped all together when in Timer mode. I was able to get a sound out of the device when using the countdown mode, but it was a low garbled kind of sound. After reading through this thread, I contacted Double Alpha. I was offered a discount on replacing my unit, but I did not want to spend that kind of money on the new ShotMaxx-2 (even with the discount). My wrists are small and the ShotMaxx 1 is already quite large on my wrist. The ShotMaxx-2 with the improved speaker is larger....

Anyway, I still love the shot timer and use it frequently. So I tried to re-install the firmware on the unit (referred to in this thread as flashing/reflashing). That worked! I am so happy to have my ShotMaxx back.

Some of the links in this thread were no longer present. But I was able to navigate through the Double Alpha website to find the firmware. The old link (www.shotmaxx.com/support) no longer exists. But that does redirect you to the Double Alpha website.
I found the correct firmware this way:

Double Alpha site: https://www.doublealpha.biz/

>>Select your region.
>>Scroll to the bottom of the home page, select "Downloads" from the Help and Support section. Click on that and the ShotMaxx firmware update is the top option in the new window.

I know this thread is old, but thanks to everyone who contributed! This was a nice help!!

johnm
04-03-2019, 02:33 PM
I know this thread is old, but thanks to everyone who contributed! This was a nice help!!

Great to hear that worked for you.

FWIW, I switched to the AMG Lab timer.

UNK
11-29-2020, 08:40 AM
There is a 2.0 available on this timer. Anybody tried it?

DMF13
11-30-2020, 02:11 PM
There is a 2.0 available on this timer. Anybody tried it?I haven't tried it, but this:
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/shotmaxx-2
"*** Effective immediately, all Shotmaxx-2 timers include a “no questions asked” 3-year UNLIMITED warranty. Whatever the issue you may experience – if you bought it within the last three years (proof of purchase required) you can send it back for an immediate replacement. ***

. . . has me tempted.

I often shoot at an indoor range, and other shot timers won't work for me with other shooters in the bay.

UNK
11-30-2020, 03:36 PM
I haven't tried it, but this:
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/shotmaxx-2
"*** Effective immediately, all Shotmaxx-2 timers include a “no questions asked” 3-year UNLIMITED warranty. Whatever the issue you may experience – if you bought it within the last three years (proof of purchase required) you can send it back for an immediate replacement. ***

. . . has me tempted.

I often shoot at an indoor range, and other shot timers won't work for me with other shooters in the bay.

If you get it the details will be interesting. I too am looking for something that can be used at an indoor range.

scw2
11-30-2020, 04:01 PM
I often the original version back when I was limited to an indoor range only. Works great since it can detect recoil based on the accelerometer in the watch. The one annoyance I've had was needing to switch the wrist it was on when doing 1H drills, but otherwise it's a good option indoors imo. That said, never tried the 2.0 so can't speak specifically to that model.

David S.
11-30-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm really curious about these for matches, particularly steel matches.

JSGlock34
11-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Has anyone tried the Shot Trainer (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shot-trainer/id1419858879) app for the Apple Watch? Similar concept insofar as using the accelerometer.

BehindBlueI's
06-12-2022, 09:00 PM
Old thread bump, but my Shotmaxx band broke yesterday. I guess after 7-ish years it got brittle, as it just snapped off. The band appears to be built on, or at least proprietary. Not sure if I can repair or I just need to get a new timer.

Not sure why I can't upload the picture.

JCN
06-12-2022, 10:27 PM
Old thread bump, but my Shotmaxx band broke yesterday. I guess after 7-ish years it got brittle, as it just snapped off. The band appears to be built on, or at least proprietary. Not sure if I can repair or I just need to get a new timer.

Not sure why I can't upload the picture.

I don’t think you can repair it, but if you change from “accel” to sound, then you can just use it like a regular timer and put it on the bench or wherever.

If you wanted to still use it on “accel,” to filter out other people range noise, you might be able to use something like this with your broken watch band…

https://www.amazon.com/SANSOLID-Tactical-Military-Watchband-Protect/dp/B09MFH676C/ref=asc_df_B09MFH676C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=564815104529&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2862727434206363818&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019692&hvtargid=pla-1596875241545&psc=1