PDA

View Full Version : My EDC Light of Choice

Arclight
02-26-2011, 12:16 AM
So this was the topic of a great deal of discussion before the Low-Light/Target Discrimination (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?105-AAR-Target-Discrimination-Low-Light-Practice-Session-Virginia-23-January-2011) practice session: Do you EDC a real tactical light with you much of the time, or do you find a little light that may not be as good in a fight, but you'll actually carry with you most/all the time? If you're one of those people who has the attire and discipline to carry a Surefire or 4Sevens Quark every day, that's clearly preferable. If you're like the rest of us and can't/won't carry a "real" light all the time, this is a great alternative.

Regardless of which camp you're in (or if you're like most of us and alternate between the two), I've found the Maratac AAA (http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html) to be by far my favorite of the tiny, EDC lights I've seen. It's not what I would take if I were going to be in a gunfight in the dark. It's not even what I take when I know I'm going to be out in the dark. It's what I take when I don't really expect to need a flashlight and/or can't really practically carry a "real" light. Funny how often that's when I end up wanting a flashlight...

Think of it like the subcompact pistol on your ankle -- it's not what you'd choose when you're going out expecting trouble, but it sure beats the rifle you left at home if the SHTF unexpectedly.

http://www.countycomm.com/aaa1large.jpg
Image courtesy of Countycomm (http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html).

What it's not: It's not a tailcap-activated 120 lumen tactical wonder with strobe.
What it is: An ultralight long-life LED light that is small, can provide real light (80 lumens) and you might actually have it with you when you need a light unexpectedly, even in a suit or gym clothes.

It's also not expensive.

Here are the specs, for anyone who cares:
LED Type: Cree 7090-XP-E Q5 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. The reflector is aluminum alloy. Flashlight body is made of aircraft grade aluminum covered with Type III Military grade anodization. The lens has been treated with a AR (Anti-Reflective) coating. Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one AAA battery that provides 3 levels of brightness (Medium/Low/High).

Using A Single Duracell AAA battery we got the following results:

Medium Mode, 18lm Output for 4 Hours
Low Mode, 1.5lm Output for 50 Hours
High Mode, 80lm Output for 48 Minutes

randypollock
02-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Amazing what you can do with a triple A

Tamara
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
You know, I have gotten really slack with the lights.

I used to carry a Surefire Z2 pretty religiously. When I realized that it sucked up batteries too fast, I began carrying a Streamlight Twintask 1L also.

Guess how long before I started leaving the big light at home and just carrying the little 15-lumen Streamlight?

I really need to leap forward into 2008 and buy a variable-power LED...

VolGrad
02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Much like the OP I carry a AAA LED daily. My choice is the Streamlight Microstream. It's only 15 lumens but is LED and mine has been very tough. I have dropped it, kicked it, banged it, and used it as a hammer without fail. It does have a tail cap momentary on/off switch. My intentions for this light are general purpose. It would serve as a tac light for close encounters if necessary although I don't fancy that it would be ideal. The price on these is $15.

For days I do feel like carrying a tactical light I carry a SureFire G2X LED in a Raven light pouch. When I'm not carrying it I at least have one in each vehicle, one by the front door, and one by the bedside.

Funny story: My family has a mountain top cabin in the Smokies and we were heading up the 2 mile, gravel & snow covered drive after a long day out and about. We were in our 2WD SUV at the time as we don't normally travel in my 4WD truck. My parents were already at the top with our kids (their grandkids) and the wife and I had stopped to pick up pizzas. About 3/4 of the way up the drive we got stuck in the mud/snow/ice. We had to hike the rest of the way up with only this 15 lumen light to show the way .... while carrying pizzas. The point of the story is to carry a larger light in your vehicle for emergencies (which I now do). This light did the trick though and reinforced my "always carry a light ... in your pocket" theory. ;)

LittleLebowski
02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm picking up one of these AAA jobs you young Turks are crowing about. Which means a trip to http://CountyComm.com

Which means once again, I will spend an hour ordering all sorts of cool stuff I had no idea how much I needed!

Addictions are no joke, kids. Stay away from http://countycomm.com

On that path lies danger.

gtmtnbiker98
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I've carried a SF E1L for the last couple of years and recently, the Post Office dropped off a package containing a 4Sevens Quark123 Tactical light. This anonymous package came from Maryland (and was much appreciated) and let me tell you, since using it the last couple of months, I've become relatively attached to it. It is definitely slimmer than my E1L and so far, battery life has remained on par with my other SF products.

ToddG
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Tom Jones first pointed me toward 4Sevens, and I've been hooked ever since.

I carry a 1-cell (123) in my front left pocket next to my iPhone. Photo snagged from 4sevens.com:
http://www.4sevens.com/images/4SevensQuark123_800x536r.jpg

Things I like about the light:

Can be programmed to strobe as a default action without requiring any twisting, multiple morse code button pushing, etc.
Easier to program than any other flashlight I've handled.
Very small and lightweight.
Rugged.
A third the price of comparable programmable lights from competitors.

The biggest negative to me is the lack of a smart thumb button (like on a Ra or a Novatac 120P). Tom and I spoke to 4Sevens about that at SHOT last month. Or we tried to, at least. They had no idea what we were talking about.

I chose the 123 (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=2496) version over the AAA (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=2491) option because it provides brighter maximum output and greater battery life. The difference in diameter just isn't enough to worry about. And 4Sevens sells CR123 batteries cheap; for a small outlay up front I bought enough to keep all my 123-powered devices running for a decade.

I've also got some of their 2-cell lights and I keep the Maelstrom G5 as a nightstand light. A 365-lumen strobe definitely gets one's attention.

YVK
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
This is an interesting light, Todd.
I carry two Surefires on me: E1B in a pocket, and aluminum version of Titan attached to my key chain.
I like E1B in general, but clip sucks, IMO. I am considering getting a LensLight or/and HDS light.

BobM
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I carry a SF G2Z, and I have Photon microlights attached to my keys and to my Leatherman. The G2Z rides in the SF hard plastic pouch and is a bit bulky and I'd like to find something better. For years I carried an old 6P in a horizontal carrier up front and that worked pretty well.
A few days ago I had to be in "business casual" dress all day so I just dropped an E2E into a pants pocket.

Arclight
02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Guess how long before I started leaving the big light at home and just carrying the little 15-lumen Streamlight?

Tam,

You nailed it. This was the issue for me. I've got my Surefire 6P, Nitrolon G2s and an E2D Defender (thanks to P-T and the Hackathorn Standards!) but between all the stuff we normally carry (wallet/keys/knife/phone) and trying to comfortably carry a flashlight in business attire, I found I just don't have them with me unless I'm in "tacticool" mode or other active wear. The rest of the time, the Maratac AAA keeps me from being SOL.

It's worth noting too -- this is no 15 lumen pocket light either. While you're not going to "employ" it in a hurry, the 80 lumen mode will get you pretty far in that worst-case scenario. Certainly better than an old pocketlight... or the spotlight you left at home.

JDM
02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Surefire LED defender. Weak side back pocket.

SecondsCount
02-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I carry the AA version of the 4sevens Quark because nearly everything else I own uses AA's. I keep a "enerloop" rechargeable battery in it and charge it once a month. Nice little light.

TAP
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I had a quark mini 123 for 6 months and it died.

I also had a fenix p1d that lasted 1 year before it died.

I haven't been impressed with the reliability of these lights.

Frank B
02-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I use mostly a Fenix PD10 or PD30 for EDC and canīt say anything bad.
For occupational applications I use a Surefire LX2.
Iīve also tried a NightOps Gladius. The first one holds well for almost 2 year and I sold it.
The second one experienced problems with the switch/electronics so I sold it, too.

Now I stay with Fenix and Surefire

Jay
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
I also had a fenix p1d that lasted 1 year before it died.

I haven't been impressed with the reliability of these lights.[/QUOTE]

I edc a Fenix PD30R4 love the light, reliable as it gets IMO. I also own a TK12R5 which lives in the range bag. And the wife caries a PD20 in her purse.

I was so smitten by the performance of the PD30 that all the men in the family recieved them with Tenergy chargers for christmas last year.
Needless to say all the women want PD20's now.

No one has had a single issue.
I will also say that the guys at work who turned me on to Fenix have various models they have been running for years without fault.

Really sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them, but i would recommend you give them another shot if you see fit.

willowofwisp
02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I carry a surefire LX2 every day, great light and I really like the operating system..its like a gas pedal..press it harder for more light, after 6 months of carry I have nothing bad to say.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4990260995_eb0c58e401.jpg

Rverdi
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
After going thru every new light of the week on candle power forums, I went back to my Surefire L4. Great beam, easy ui, it always works and I find it easy to shoot with.
I carried Novatacs for awhile, currently all of them are doa, waiting to be shipped back for repairs.

Bill Lance
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I carry a surefire LX2 every day, great light and I really like the operating system..its like a gas pedal..press it harder for more light, after 6 months of carry I have nothing bad to say.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4990260995_eb0c58e401.jpg

That is my carry light now. I am willing to carry it despite the size because of the dual-intensity and quality of the product.

willowofwisp
02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
The LX2 really isn't that big, it rides in my left side pocket bezel down, I wear american eagle jeans (which are just normal sized pockets) and the light fits perfectly.

SmokeJumper
02-27-2011, 12:23 AM
SureFire LX2 for EDC, recently trying the Viking Tactics L4'from SureFire as well. Carried on/in support side pocket

David
02-27-2011, 01:28 AM
It was a Surefire E2DL which I love but I was at BassPro several months ago and bought one of the new maglite XL100 (http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp) lights just to play with. I ended up really liking it so now I carry it most of the time.

Jay Cunningham
02-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Tom Jones first pointed me toward 4Sevens, and I've been hooked ever since.

I carry a 1-cell (123) in my front left pocket...
Me too. Awesome little light - and I consider myself a Surefire fan.

I've also got some of their 2-cell lights...
A real nice fella gave me one of these as a gift and it's great as well. The clip is much sturdier than the various SF offerings I've dealt with.

Red Leader
02-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Right now I EDC an iTP C8, which is a 2AA 190 lumen flashlight using the CREE XP-G emitter, so it gets good throw. The nice thing about the light is that it is continuously variable, meaning that you can loosen the head and change the brightness to whatever you want. Very handy. I've been carrying it for probably almost a year. Still works fine:D

Soon I hope to have in my hands a Solarforce L2 with the new CREE XM-L emitter which is supposed to be pretty comparable to an SST-50. With a single 18650 battery, it should be quite the pocket rocket.

02-27-2011, 04:12 AM
I EDC a Streamlight PT1L and also use it as a back up light at work. I have only had it for about 4 months but so far no problems to report.

A friend carries a PT2L and has had similar results.

45R
02-27-2011, 10:59 AM
My EDC is a Surefire E1E. I'll try and get a photo of it later. Its been carried for quite a few years.

subzero
02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I started out a few years ago trying to carry a 6P and then a G2 in different belt holsters. I couldn't keep it up. Then Surefire came out with the E1B. 100 lumens, 1 battery and a pocket clip and form factor that allowed for easy pocket carry. I carried it for over a year. Good light, but I lost it so many times I ended up cursing the pocket clip.

I started carrying a Novatac 120T. Absolutely great light. Great switching, great size and great pocket clip. Again, 1 battery. This rode in my pocket for well over a year until just recently.

I discovered FourSevens and the Quark lights a few months ago. I picked up a Quark AA for work and quickly followed it with a Preon, a Mini AA Squared and (just last week) a Quark AA Tactical. I wouldn't use the first three for EDC, as they don't switch correctly, but the Tactical model is ok in my book. 90 or so lumens OTF out of a 1.5V AA battery. Friggin amazing. I held off on getting one for a while until they came out with their deep carry pocket clip. It's a significant improvement over the stock clip.

gtmtnbiker98
02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
A real nice fella gave me one of these as a gift and it's great as well. The clip is much sturdier than the various SF offerings I've dealt with.You must have received your gift from the same fella as I did. I'm definitely hooked on these lights, now they need to make a WML.

peterb
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I prefer the small 2xAA LED lights -- anything much smaller gets hard to grasp, and I like the Eneloop AAs. I've got a couple of Fenixes that have held up well, but they were the ones without the digital controls. My usual clothing does allow me to use a belt holster for a light.

And yes, I do get 'bat-belt' jokes... ;)

For folks who want longer battery life from their Surefires, the LED upgrades are a huge improvement over the incandescents. Malkoff has a range of drop-ins so you can find the runtime/brightness tradeoff that makes sense for you.

Chuck Haggard
02-27-2011, 05:30 PM
I carried an E2e for many years, upgraded one of my lights with the TNVC LED replacement head. Way more throw, and better battery life as well.

This is small enough for me to pocket carry daily, large enough to use as a buidling search tool, or a smash a guy in the face tool, if need be.

#08-76
02-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Surefire E1B for the last year.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/Wester_von_Burgermeister/pft007rev.jpg

JSGlock34
02-27-2011, 08:07 PM
My flashlight choices keep evolving. My favorite for a long time was the Surefire Z2 - after a low light shooting training segment I'd found the Harries method was working best for me. But the Z2 was large, didn't fit in a pocket and needed its own holster. It often stayed home.

I later purchased a Surefire E1E Executive for EDC use. The light output is anemic; it barely qualifies as a utility light. I wouldn't recommend the E1E - it has been largely surpassed by other options.

The Z2 was largely replaced by the Surefire E1B Backup - compact, dual-output, Surefire quality. A Surefire E1B tended to live in my jacket pocket for the past few years. I consider the E1B the yardstick to measure other EDC lights.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/IMG_0082-1.jpg?t=1298855449
(L to R: 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical, Surefire E1E, E1B, Z2L, G2L)

After seeing some strobing flashlights demonstrated, I'd decided to check out lights with a few more options than the E1B. I read a few good reviews of the Quark Tactical 123 S2 and picked up one up. The Quark is slightly more compact than my E1B and has far more options. I'm not as impressed with the build quality, but it seems rugged enough for my usage. I've dropped it on the concrete deck more than a few times without damage.

The clip is horrible though and makes programming the Quark more difficult, as it interferes with rotating the bezel to initiate the programming sequence. I'd like to see Quark introduce a reversible, removable clip.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/IMG_0085-1.jpg?t=1298855636

The Quark is the smallest light in the lineup above, and (until the G2L went on closeout) the least expensive. It provides a lot of options and capabilities for the money. I'm not quite ready to replace all my E1Bs, but more often than not the Quark is in my jacket pocket.

I've seen Arclight's Maratac and I agree it is an impressive light for the size. If it had a tailcap for 'momentary on' with one hand, I'd be quicker to carry one around.

GLOCKMASTER
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
My EDC light is a Surefire.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Glocks/DSC_1661.jpg

ToddG
02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
The clip is horrible though and makes programming the Quark more difficult, as it interferes with rotating the bezel to initiate the programming sequence. I'd like to see Quark introduce a reversible, removable clip.

The 2-cell Quarks have reversible, removable clips. The 1-cell doesn't and you either order it with a non-removable clip or with no clip. I use the no clip version and just drop the light into my front left pocket where it's kept in place by my BUG (if I'm carrying one) or my iPhone.

MTechnik
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
The 2-cell Quarks have reversible, removable clips. The 1-cell doesn't and you either order it with a non-removable clip or with no clip. I use the no clip version and just drop the light into my front left pocket where it's kept in place by my BUG (if I'm carrying one) or my iPhone.

the 1-cell AA does have a reversible, replaceable clip. The 1-123 comes with the one single clip, or no clip at all.

The knurling doesn't scratch your phone?

Adding:

http://i.imgur.com/UVszG.jpg
The single 123 mini, the AA mini Ti warm white (I love this thing with a 14500 battery in it) and the 1-AA Tactical with deep pocket clip and a lanyard I pinched from some other light.

I also run the 1-AA tactical with a 14500 battery (http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500.html). Gives me similar output as a single 123 in a AA format, with the ability to get backup batteries, albeit at a lower face melting range.

ToddG
02-27-2011, 08:43 PM
the 1-cell AA does have a reversible, replaceable clip. The 1-123 comes with the one single clip, or no clip at all.

Thanks for the correction.

The knurling doesn't scratch your phone?

Mine lives in a plastic case that only exposes the face. No problems.

MTechnik
02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Mine lives in a plastic case that only exposes the face. No problems.

Yeah, now that my GPS is working in my capitvate again, I might put a case back on it, and that'll open me up to more pocket commingling. Good thought.

Edited the above post with a shot of the 1-AA tactical with the deep pocket clip.

turbolag23
02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I just started carrying a surefire E1B about a month ago and like it so far. Before that all I really used was a 2 D cell mag light which would be tough to EDC.

Padwan
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
For EDC I like the Sure Fire L1 Lumamax or the E1B Back Up. I like the switch on the L1 but I love the clip and size of the E1B.

If Sure Fire would make an E1B with a 2-stage switch going from low to high output, it would be the perfect light for me.

LittleLebowski
03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Considering a CountyComm AA and Quark now.....

turbolag23
03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I kind of want to try the quark 123 and fenix pd30 now to compare them to my e1b.

45R
03-05-2011, 01:12 PM
My EDC is a Surefire E1E. I'll try and get a photo of it later. Its been carried for quite a few years.

E1E and Quark123(2 cell) Tactical. The Quark was a gift. I carry both on a regular basis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/forty5r/IMG_8425.jpg

YVK
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I received my Mini LensLight yesterday, and as far as feature set and illumination are concerned, Surefire E1B can barely hold a candle - pun intended - to it. We'll see what long term use shows.

SmokeJumper
03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I received my Mini LensLight yesterday, and as far as feature set and illumination are concerned, Surefire E1B can barely hold a candle - pun intended - to it. We'll see what long term use shows.

I see that Lens Light is an American made product. Let us know how it holds up to use/carry. Where did you get it?

YVK
03-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Yes, it is US made, I believe in Cali. I got mine directly from their website, took a week or ten days or so. They have aluminum and titanium options; I am not sure what Ti offers over aluminum in this application. Since flashlights are some of the most commonly lost EDC items, I got a regular one.

Pennzoil
03-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I just got a new EDC light a 4 sevens Preon Revo. The thing is tiny for kicking out 80 lumens just wish knurling was better on emitter head and had options for modes starting with strobe or high. We'll see how it holds up as I seem to break just about everything electronic.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7181/img2444e.jpg

JodyH
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Surefire E1E with a KL1 LED conversion.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/e1e.jpg

DocGKR
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
SF L4 90% of the time, except in business suits when I use an E1B.

Shellback
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Another Quark 123 Tactical fan. My only complaint is the clip as well, not a fan. Although the new deep carry clip looks like a step in the right direction.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6008/003pe.jpg

JDM
03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Just picked up an LX2 to replace the E2D LED that was killing my drivers seat. I prefer bezel down carry anyway. Wow. Great light. The switching is much better, press harder for brighter.

willowofwisp
03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
After running a e2d I definetly prefer the lx2 UI.

orionz06
03-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Just got a Streamlight PT1L from a friend and it seems to be a very nice light. The switching is simple, offering high, strobe, and low very quickly.

LOKNLOD
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Just got a Streamlight PT1L from a friend and it seems to be a very nice light. The switching is simple, offering high, strobe, and low very quickly.

I've been carrying a PT1L for a while now, and it is a good light for the money. One issue I've had is the pocket clip popping off - I lost one of my clips (I have two of the lights) and just the other day caught the clip falling off as I was crossing the parking lot at work. The other issue I've seen is that i can change the switching by shaking the light violently. Not sure that is an actual problem in realistic usage, but I've rigged up the clipless light as a super compact weaponlight on my SBR and don't expect it to fare well in that role.

Also the two lights have noticeably different beam patterns, one has a pronounced halo and the other is more of a center hotspot only.

Beyond that, it's very bright and has had good battery life for me. For the $30 or so I paid it's a great value. It's amazing how often you find use for a bright flashlight in the daily grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeJumper
03-20-2011, 12:28 AM
I've been carrying a PT1L for a while now, and it is a good light for the money. One issue I've had is the pocket clip popping off - I lost one of my clips (I have two of the lights) and just the other day caught the clip falling off as I was crossing the parking lot at work. The other issue I've seen is that i can change the switching by shaking the light violently. Not sure that is an actual problem in realistic usage, but I've rigged up the clipless light as a super compact weaponlight on my SBR and don't expect it to fare well in that role.

Also the two lights have noticeably different beam patterns, one has a pronounced halo and the other is more of a center hotspot only.

Beyond that, it's very bright and has had good battery life for me. For the $30 or so I paid it's a great value. It's amazing how often you find use for a bright flashlight in the daily grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the larger version, PT2L, that I was carrying for a back-up lot in my cargo pockets at work. I got a rubber O-rig at the hardware store, one that is about the same diameter as the internal tube diameter of the light, then just put it on the rear of last battery and screwed the tailcap back on. Took care of the problem when the light is shaken and going through the modes. But it kept turning on in my pocket, so it is not carried anymore.

SouthNarc
03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Quarks are damn good lights for the money. I've beat the crap out of a 123X2 Tactical for about a year and a half.

KentF
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Quark AA2. I've only had it about a month, but I like it so far.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Captain
03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I carry a 6P on my belt, but I also use my light constantly throughout the day and a belt holster is way easier to get to than backing myself out from whatever hole I'm in to dig in a pocket for a light.

If my duties ever change, I'd love to try one of these little fellas...

VolGrad
03-21-2011, 06:35 AM
I posted on page 1 that I carry a Streamlight Microstream daily ... still do but will be working a SureFire E1b Backup into the rotation. I traded into it recently. It's the older 80 lumen max version but still plenty bright. It's a little big still to drop in a front pocket of dress pants for the office so the Microstream will prob still be my "work" light for general use. The SureFire will take it's place otherwise.

The downside to this SureFire model I've found so far is the tube is really slick. I am not sure why SF didn't score it or put some other type of cross-hatch texture on the body of the light. When I grip it in my palm and activate the momentary on/off switch I feel as if I'm going to push the light right out the front of my hand. The pocket clip is pretty much all that's preventing that. I am trying to figure out if there is something I can stick on it other than skateboard tape to give it some tackiness.

iCarbine
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I carry a Surefire G2 LED everyday, whether armed or not (I can not carry at work), in a Surefire V70 holder. I also have an SC1 spare carrier with six batteries and a spare bulb in my backpack.

I also keep a green Micro Photon in my pocket everyday.

DrDave
03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I carry a Surefire 6P with the Malkoff drop in conversion. Can't say I carry all the time but if I'm going to be out at night, it clips on a Comp-Tac belt holster.

What is the opinion on lights with a strobe function? Seems like it would be great for disorientating for an attacker, my worry would be that it would disorientate me too

VolGrad
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
What is the opinion on lights with a strobe function? Seems like it would be great for disorientating for an attacker, my worry would be that it would disorientate me too
I'll let the pros give the well thought answers but my personal take is it's more novelty than it is practical.

Personally, I like the KISS method. Dual output is fine so long as it's simple/quick/almost thoughtless to change. For example, on the E1B the momentary activation is always high output. I like this as if I needed it quickly that's what I'd want. I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of settings, twist for turbo power, etc.

I said I traded into this one in my last post. I traded a Fenix PD20 that I thought was overly complicated and didn't have the momentary on/off capability.

ToddG
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM

I won't carry a light without that feature, and in fact I choose my EDC light based on the ability to have "strobe" be the default function when I mash the button. I don't want to double tap or click-n-hold or any other complex task. When I need the light to strobe, it's when I have the least time and ability to concentrate on remembering and executing the morse code signal that strobes. So I choose a light were strobe happens on the first push or when I keep the button depressed.

As for its usefulness, opinions vary greatly. I've used it in FOF and even in a real life "angry guy in a bar" situation and it has always had a noticeably more disorienting effect than solid light. YMMV.

Chipster
03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Damn near sent me into a seizure! I wonder why I shot so poorly on Sunday. Why do I keep seeing all these spots?

DrDave
03-22-2011, 12:14 AM
When I need the light to strobe, it's when I have the least time and ability to concentrate on remembering and executing the morse code signal that strobes.

This is the problem I've noticed with the strobe lights I've seen. I'm probably going to
put the Surefire on my shotgun so I'll be looking for this in my next EDC light

Frank B
03-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Iīve choosen the Fenix, because on the way, how the switch operates.
First click you get full power (around 200 lumen).
Second click activates full power strobe. Iīve used this successful in various security related situations. It works pretty well and under stress, at least for me

phidelta308
04-09-2011, 02:54 AM
For years, I carried a Surefire E2E (the old style incandescent without the crenelated bezel). Then I started carrying a Surefire 6P with the 120 lumen bulb. I got sick of replacing the batteries all the time, so I started looking for an LED module for the 6P. I got the Malkoff Devices 235 lumen LED drop in module for Christmas 2 years ago, and it's been great. However, it's overkill most of the time.

Based on the OP's recommendation, I ordered a Maratac AAA flashlight. I received it today, I must say, it's awesome. It's small, and with the pocket clip, stays out of the way until you need it. The 6P was always bumping into and grinding against my phone. The three brightness levels are easy to access, and switching between them is logical. AAA batteries are cheaper and easier to find than CR123A batteries.

When I have to walk around late at night, I'll still carry the big ass surefire with the crazy bright LED in my pocket, but the Maratac is my new EDC light.

phidelta308
04-17-2011, 03:53 AM
A brief update to my Maratac AAA experience.

A week in, and I still love this little flashlight. I also think I sold a buddy or two on it. That being said, I have one problem with the light, though, it may be more of an issue with me than the light. The light tends to fall out of the pocket it's clipped into when i reach into the pocket to pull something else out. It's not such a huge problem; it's only happened a few times in the week I've owned the light.

Tonight I lost the the flashlight. I think it fell out in a cab. It's not an expensive light, so I don't mind replacing it, but countycomm.com isn't taking orders until they move into their new facility.

So I'm stuck with the other half dozen flashlights I own.

MTechnik
04-17-2011, 03:24 PM
A brief update to my Maratac AAA experience.

A week in, and I still love this little flashlight. I also think I sold a buddy or two on it. That being said, I have one problem with the light, though, it may be more of an issue with me than the light. The light tends to fall out of the pocket it's clipped into when i reach into the pocket to pull something else out. It's not such a huge problem; it's only happened a few times in the week I've owned the light.

Tonight I lost the the flashlight. I think it fell out in a cab. It's not an expensive light, so I don't mind replacing it, but countycomm.com isn't taking orders until they move into their new facility.

So I'm stuck with the other half dozen flashlights I own.

Also, you can reverse the clip on it, and use it clipped to a hat brim as a makeshift headlamp.

skyugo
04-19-2011, 12:42 AM
i usually carry an old surefire 6Z with a 140 lumen malkoff flood drop in. I'd like to switch over to an HDS clicky or something cool and a bit smaller like that, The surefire rides nicely in the left cargo pocket of carhart pants though.

KeeFus
04-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Anyone heard anything about these lights?

http://www.olightusa.com/detail.asp?id=25

GJM
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Quick question -- since I turn strobes off when entering clouds or other conditions where the strobes are visible, so as to avoid pilot disorientation, does the strobe disorient you as well as the person you are trying to disorient?

Frank B
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Quick question -- does the strobe disorient you as well as the person you are trying to disorient?

In my experience, it doesnīt disorient you as long as you avoid to strobe at white walls or mirrors.

turbolag23
04-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I just received a Fenix PD30 R5 today, little disappointed that it didnt even come with batteries but the dog seems to like the strobe more than the steady beam.

TGS
09-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Just got my Quark 123 Tactical-R5 today. Awesome little light, I'm very impressed......especially for $60. I've got it programmed to Strobe and High right now, though I've got a lot of CR123's laying around so I think I'll switch it to Strobe and Max.

Dropkick
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
My EDC light started off as a small AAA, then slightly bigger AA, and now I've got a NovaTac Storm.

It is single cell CR123a light, low/med/high/strobe, lens up or down clip. I've had it for almost two weeks now, so I'm still evaluating it. But so far, it rides nicely in my pocket.

ToddG
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
The older US-made Novatacs like the 120P were great little lights. As I recall, the Storm cannot be set to strobe as the default button-press action; is that correct?

vaspence
09-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Second on the Novatacs. I roll an 85T every day. Easy to forget you have it in your pocket. I have used mine a few times on SAR missions for a couple or three hours straight. It also has a good tint for tracking. Great lights!

Dropkick
09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
The older US-made Novatacs like the 120P were great little lights. As I recall, the Storm cannot be set to strobe as the default button-press action; is that correct?
You are correct...

On the Storm I have here is how to activate the different modes:
High: Press (Press to turn off)
Momentary High: Press & Hold (Release to turn off)
Momentary Strobe: Press, Release, Press & Hold (Release to turn off)
Mid: Press, Release, Press x2, Release (Press to turn off)
Low: Press, Release, Press x3, Release (Press to turn off)

ToddG
09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
IMHO, that makes the strobe function essentially useless. Some people don't care about strobe, but if you find it useful -- I do -- then having it activate with a single simple movement instead of a timed sequence is much better.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
One of the few things I like about being in construction is that I can hang anything I feel like off my belt.

So my day to day belt is a cobra rigger's belt from Endeavor Stitchworks, and I keep a P6 defender on it in a Kytex holster.

I'm not particularly a Surefire nut or anything. But the light does work. I'd like to throw a Malkoff drop in into the thing but haven't gotten around to it yet. I got a smoking deal on the light about five or six years ago, which is the only reason I chose that specific model.

I used to carry a Nitecore Defender Infinity but I can't find it at the moment. It was really handy, though, and I have to say that I think I use a flashlight at work a lot more than most people with more gun-related jobs than I have. I am constantly crawling around through people's houses looking for things or finding problems or installing something, so I really get a ton of use out of my lights. And other than losing them, I don't know...maybe I'm just lucky but they have all been relatively similar in the reliability department.

vcdgrips
09-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Pardon my lengthly post:

1993 to 2003 Surefire 6p on beltline, 65 lumens of old school incandes.

2003-2005 Surefire G2 on belt line, 65 lumens too

2005-2009 Gladius on beltline, 90 lumens, great UI/switching etc but a bit big

In 2009 as I started AIWB, I wanted a light I could carry in my pocket

2009-Surefire E1B- i 15/100 lumens well made, low-high toggle switching a PITA

2009-Novtac, 85 Lumens the UI/switching was confusing, inconsistant, sent light back

2009-2011 Frustrated, I went back to a Surefire G2 with 200 lumen Cree Drop in, Novatac belt clip and an Isabella Designs Tactical Retention Device.
It was bright, caveman simple but sometimes a bit big with suit slacks

Aug 2011 to date Quark 4/7s, default setting, strobe/high 200 lumens

Given a series of incidents involving youths in my city's shopping areas, I wanted to go back to a light that had a strobe because of it disorienting
capabilties. I did not want to go back to belt line carry. I flirted with a Surefire Z-2s which has 160 lumens and strobes when you start manually strobing it (3 push w/i 1 sec) if you keep manually strobing it stobed, if you hold it, it strobes, if you release it goes back to traditional lighting. In the end, I deemed it to be too big and I had mixed feelings about the UI/switching.

Enter the 1 cell , CR 123 powered 4/7s light. well made, eight possible settings, you pick two, one with the bezel tight, one with the bezel loose by 1/4 turn.Still on my first battery, fits in any pants/khaki/slacks/suit pant pocket I own. It may be the best 60.00 max I have spent in a long time.

If I was going to carry a belt line light again, I would likely go with either the 265 lumen Strategos Gladius or the Surefire L2 which has Surefires best switching pattern to date, push softly 15 lumens, push harder 200 lumens. Of course I would still carry my 4/7s.

Dropkick
09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
IMHO, that makes the strobe function essentially useless. Some people don't care about strobe, but if you find it useful -- I do -- then having it activate with a single simple movement instead of a timed sequence is much better.

I have seen the benefits of strobe, but also realize it's limitations too. Getting through the AMIS rape-dudgeon it certain was handy. However, I don't think it's as disorientating as much of the hype would lead consumers to believe.

One push strobe would be ideal, and I might look at the 4Seven's Quark 123 down the line. What would be perfect to me is a single cell version of the Fenix TK12.

ToddG
09-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Strobe is disorienting, not disabling.

ubervic
10-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Great thread.

Since you all know your stuff with lights, maybe some can help me out. I'm in the market for the smallest (length & dia.) decent-quality light with button activation. I'm eyeing Quark 123 and Fenix PD20. Any others that I should be looking at?

Thanks, and apologies to the OP for the (partial) thread-jack.

TGS
10-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Great thread.

Since you all know your stuff with lights, maybe some can help me out. I'm in the market for the smallest (length & dia.) decent-quality light with button activation. I'm eyeing Quark 123 and Fenix PD20. Any others that I should be looking at?

Ubervic,

When you select the Quark, make sure you get the "Tactical" model. The other Quarks don't have the push-button tail cap. Also, there's a couple different versions. I got the R5, but there's also the "X" that is 100 lumens brighter. I was about to buy the X, but did a quick search and found out the beam spread is so wide that it negates the brighter LED. Apparently the X strobes noticeably slower than the R5 as well, and the only report I read stated that it wasn't as disorienting as the R5. So I went for the R5.

Anywho, I'll be getting the 2-cell 123 in a few days. My girlfriend took my pants and washed them today and ended up washing the light as well, so it doesn't work. She bought me a new one, and said just get the more expensive one if I wanted(the 2-cell is $10 more). The 1 cell Quark is so small that I can carry the 2-cell just as easy, so I figured go for the extra run-time and extra couple miniscule lumens.

If I was wearing a flashlight on a belt, I'd look heavily at the Olight M20 or M21. Besides the Quark and Surefire G2, I have no experience with tactical lights, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Dropkick
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Great thread.

I got to play with a lot of lights this weekend at the Nation's. The Streamlight ProTac 1L was the closest to coming home with me. I'd say it's worth a look.

EricP
10-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I got to play with a lot of lights this weekend at the Nation's. The Streamlight ProTac 1L was the closest to coming home with me. I'd say it's worth a look.

I recently lost that light. It does require multiple presses to access the high/low/strobe modes. I liked it a lot and am bummed out that its gone.

HankH
10-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Great thread.

My wife always teases me and says that I've never met a flashlight or a knife that I don't like (she's right...). I own SureFires, Fenix, Quark, etc. all fine flashlights. But you have to check this puppy out, it's my EDC light for about 9 months and it is awesome! 170 lumens, strobe, a whole bunch of lower light settings, tail cap switch, crenulated bezel, lanyard, and it runs on 1 AA - $25!! Here's a link to Greg McGee Engineering; I received about 4 days after I bought it. I would highly recommend the flashlight:
http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm

Dagga Boy
10-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I own more lights than I should admit to. I have gotten to the point where I have so many guns, lights, and knives that I have finally stopped overloading my system, and have been very good about carrying a simple gun, knives, and light set up. I go nowhere without a Surefire E2DL. I have found that they are bright, durable, the "right" size (not to big to carry, but big enough to use as an impact tool with its crenulated head) for daily pocket carry in any type of clothing. It works perfectly for the three flashlight techniques that I utilize and I can "tone it down" for utility work. It is easy to strobe mechanically with my thumb as needed. I have also found that they are really good for battery life. The only other light that I consider is one I made myself out of an E2D body with a 6P Defender head that also works great, but is better suited for straight tactical work and is a little big for pocket carry. I have both the older version and the new 200 Lumen version. I usually carry the beater older one.

Dropkick
11-04-2011, 11:01 AM
My EDC light started off as a small AAA, then slightly bigger AA, and now I've got a NovaTac Storm.

It is single cell CR123a light, low/med/high/strobe, lens up or down clip. I've had it for almost two weeks now, so I'm still evaluating it. But so far, it rides nicely in my pocket.

Okay, update... I've been carrying the NovaTac Storm LED Flashlight nearly everyday for 45 days now. First day I changed the pocket clip so that it's bezel down, button up. I've used it a number of times, and the battery it came with is still going strong. It's survived a couple waist high falls to hard surfaces. I've gotten the most use out of the medium setting, it's enough light for everyday type stuff.

I'm still a little torn about the strobe functionality. From off to strobe, requires a double click and hold, which is less than ideal for me. However, if it's already on and in any mode, all I have to do is press and hold for strobe. (Upon releasing it goes back to the previous mode.) I can see that being useful for using the light at night and strobing something if startled.