PDA

View Full Version : Detail stripped M1911A1

GearScout
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Shot this today. I almost lost my mind pushing all the little pieces into alignment. My table is a little rickety. So, every time I breathed on it a spring or pin would roll... Photoshop would have been a lot easier.

JDM
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
That's not as bad as I thought it would be-parts wise.

Odin Bravo One
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice photo.

VolGrad
06-08-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm not very "handy" and found the detail stripping of a 1911 isn't that big of a deal. I took LAV's 1911 Operator's course last year and wanted to make sure I knew what I was in for so I had a buddy walk through it with me once before class. I then did it once more on my own before class. By the time class rolled around I was comfortable with it.

The first time is the hardest just because of the intimidation factor. Now, I haven't done it in almost a year .... since right after the August class. I will likely have to sit and stare at it a while the next time I do it. :cool:

SecondsCount
06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Good job on the photography.

I find the 1911 to be pretty simple to take down and put back together. Fitting of certain parts that can be intimidating but they are a relatively simple design.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Great picture bro!

I recently acquired an Armscor 1911 in a trade, and I figured it would be a POS, being Phillipine made and all. It had a full length guide rod, which I ditched and replaced with Milspec parts. It actually works really well! No issues at all. I'm going to get the sights regulated with WWB, and put it to the 2000 round challenge, just to see if it'll do it.

My point in saying all of that was, you are completely right...the intimidation factor is the worst! I'm not to the point of detail stripping yet, but I'll be there soon!

Angered_Kabar
11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah they aren't too bad to take apart and re-assemble, if you do it right.

I found out there is sort of a specific order they need to be put back together though. I think I got too excited and installed the mainspring housing before the safety was in place and I found out the sear didn't work. I forgot what I did to fix the problem but certain parts got bound up and it took me about 10 minutes of fumbling, but I got it working.

I can't really speak on how bad the several different types of firing pin block safeties are to re-assemble, but it seems most of the people that have taken theirs apart don't need to go to a gunsmith to put them back together.

Tamara
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

They really are stone-axe simple. Most modern DA/SA autos are a LOT more complicated to detail strip.

JDM
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
They really are stone-axe simple. Most modern DA/SA autos are a LOT more complicated to detail strip.

I took a rather close look at a field stripped 1076 this morning and was SHOCKED at the multitudes of plungers and levers and tiny springs and is that the ejector that pops up from the frame and oh my god....

I'd rather detail strip a badger.

DocGKR
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Well done!

1911's are actually pretty darn simple, assuming the parts were built and fitted correctly in the first place...

Packy
06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
NIce...

I find the parts of the CZ Shadow mind blowing compared to when i strip tease my colt commander.

Tony Muhlenkamp
06-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I was similarly overwhelmed at the "thought" of it, and had a definite sense of accomplishment after doing it a few times. Helps to have a knowledgeable friend walk you through it. Then the videos and shop manuals make a LOT more sense.

Well done.